Madelyn Ch. 00

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She stopped, wondering what could have happened to the kitchen in her absence...

"What happened?" she asked, concerned.

"Oh, nothing a trip to the grocery store won't fix," he said, good-naturedly. "It has been 3 years, you know, Maddie, A week after you left, I had to empty the fridge and cupboards, to keep the food there from spoiling." He laughed, and she laughed with him.

"Ok. I'll get everything packed and ready to go." She stopped and thought about what she had in this little house in the city that she really wanted to take with her. "You know, all I really need is my clothes, pictures, and books... I could care less about most of the furniture here, Brian. Please list the house as being fully furnished. I'll take the 2 or 3 pieces I really want, and the rest can go with the house."

"Ok, Maddie. I'll make the necessary arrangements," he told her, "and don't worry about your house in the city, sweetie. I'll be sure you get top dollar for it."

"Brian," she said reprovingly. "I know you will always see to my best interests. You've never cheated my family. I trust you to make the right decision for my house. In fact, I don't really care what I get from it. I have enough to live out the rest of my life, between my trust fund and the inheritance of my parents' estate."

"I know, Maddie," he replied. "But I wouldn't ever let anybody take advantage of you. I love you as if you were my own...well, my own granddaughter."

"I know you do, Brian. And I love you very much, too. You've always been so good to me and I appreciate everything you do." She paused a moment before continuing, "And, Brian...When the house sells, I want you to take 25% of the selling price for yourself."

"Maddie, do you know what you're saying?" he said, not believing what he'd just heard. 25% was unheard of for a broker to earn from the sale of real estate. Her house was easily worth a few million dollars.

"Yes, Brian, I know what my house is worth." A smile crossed her face as she spoke to the dear man. "You've never wanted to take anything from me in compensation since my parents died, Brian. I've always insisted you at least compensate yourself for fees, materials, and at least take a little for your time, but you've never taken more than what your cost is. Believe me, I've checked."

"But, Madelyn...." He tried to object but she stopped him.

"No, Brian. Not this time. This time, you take 25% of whatever my house sells for. No arguments, do you understand?"

"Yes, I understand, sweetie," he conceded. "I'll be sure it is in the paperwork."

"Thank you, Brian...now, I need to get off here and make arrangements to move back home. I'm so tired of San Francisco and the smells and noises and not being able to touch nature that I want to get the hell out of here just as soon as I can!"

"Alright, my dear," He told her softly. "Have a good night and a safe trip home."

"I will." She paused a moment before quickly adding, "And, Brian? Thank you. Thank you so very much."

With that, she hung up, put the phone on the counter, and settled back into the water again. She rested there barely a minute before she burst into tears. A combination of relief, anguish, joy, and uncertainty washed over her all at the same time. Would she be able to do it? Could she really return to the home she'd shared with them all her life until they died?

She didn't know. What she did know is that she didn't like the city and had to get away from here, right away.

When she was finished bathing, she climbed into bed and drifted off into a deep sleep, dreaming of waking up to the sounds and smells of home.

12