Majgen Ch. 014

Story Info
Science fiction, book size.
2.7k words
11.2k
2

Part 16 of the 21 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 05/03/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ellynei
ellynei
272 Followers

----=(Rasta's teachings)=----

During her time at the Mentariata, Majgen was assigned to a multitude of private teachers. Prior to the incident with Femaron Braygen, and his pet-memories, Ottearon Weissme put an effort into communicating with those who gave her private lessons, to see how the child was getting along and to ease her transition into the mentarion sub-society. Weissme was strongly motivated to this end by the guilt he felt for having covered the circumstances regarding her discovery.

Weissme had also developed a personal fondness for the shy teen. He felt he could see warmth when looking into her eyes. He felt that looking into Majgen's eyes was a bit like looking into the eyes of a toddler; he felt she had somehow retained some of the basic innocence of a small child. Ottearon Weissme had the distinct impression that deep down Majgen still believed in good. To Weissme that seemed miraculous in itself. It seemed miraculous because of what had happened to her the day he first saw her, and it seemed miraculous because she was a Hawlun orphan. Weissme had never before met a Hawlun orphan with warm eyes.

Ottearon Weissme liked Tenth Ranked Student Majgen Rahan; while she studied at the Mentariata, Weissme never allowed the troubles and worries caused by her presence to affect his personal feelings towards her. But he didn't let his personal feelings towards Majgen push him from the path of adhering to his duties towards society either. The insecure teened child woke warm protective feelings in him, but ultimately Majgen Rahan was a resource and Majgen Rahan was a liability. Ottearon Weissme, leader of the Mentariata and high ranking mentarion, had a duty to control the liability and extract the resource.

----=(o)=----

"I have to say, Ottearon, we have a lot of work ahead of us in shaping this particular girl into a mature mentarion - within a reasonable time frame. Sometimes I am tempted to doubt the level of her intelligence, Ottearon Weissme," said Femaron Rasta.

"Oh, she is that troublesome, Femaron?" asked Weissme, trying to take Rasta's complaints seriously, at least while being face to face with him.

Weissme had invited Femaron Friedric Rasta to his private quarters -- partly under cover of social interaction -- to gain a detailed report of Majgen's progress in her private lessons with the Femaron.

At the Mentariata all members of the normal teaching staff were ranked Femaron; other mentarion schools employed teachers of varying ranks, but Weissme found rank differences between colleagues in equal positions to be inefficient. He had a few higher ranked mentarions in his staff, but these were hired for very specific teaching tasks. Hence he was still able to divide his staff into normal teaching staff, consisting of Femarons only, and his specialised teaching staff - of varying ranks.

Femaron Rasta was part of the normal teaching staff.

"Actually, Ottearon, she is. Student Majgen does give some effort to adhering to rules. By now she has realised that in mentarion schools disobedience has consequences, Ottearon Weissme..."

Rasta's tirade was politely interrupted by Weissme.

"Please, Friedric, while we are in my private quarters, call me Antwoine." Weissme was Rasta's employer, and of higher rank, and they were in his private quarters; by the Mentarion Ways the decision to switch to first name basis was solely his.

"Thank you, Antwoine," said Rasta, properly impressed by the gesture. Weissme usually reserved first name basis for private conversations with friends. After years of teaching at the Mentariata, Rasta was fully aware of this.

"Please continue." Weissme did not consider Rasta a friend, but he had felt a need to distract the Femaron, not wanting his own emotional spectre to be too thoroughly noticed by the Femaron.

"Ah, yes, as I was saying: She is more obedient than she was at first, and she finally masters the proper forms of address of the Mentarion Ways. But frankly, Antwoine, the girl is inherently insolent."

"Please elaborate, Friedric, I would like to hear more of your opinion on this matter." Weissme phrased his words carefully to not really be lies. This was the subject for which he had needed to distract Femaron Rasta; his actual thought behind this phrase was somewhat different.

'How come so many, usually intelligent, members of my staff -- independent of each other --refer to Student Majgen as insolent?'

In his search to pinpoint the widespread dislike of Majgen amongst his staff Weissme had tried to interrogate some members of his staff whom he considered 'usually intelligent'. But when those had mentioned Majgen's 'insolent behaviour' they had immediately understood that Weissme did not consider Student Majgen to be insolent. And from that point in the conversation each one of them had clammed shut, evading the subject to the best of their abilities. Hence Weissme now resorted to finding knowledge from a less intelligent source - Femaron Rasta.

As Weissme had hoped, his distraction worked perfectly. Rasta didn't catch on to Weissme's opinion of Majgen's insolence, and spoke on uninhibited -- not realising he was possibly in disagreement with an Ottearon.

"She is an immensely frustrating Student, Antwoine. Yesterday I had her in for only one lesson, and she said, 'I don't get it,' eight times within the first twenty minutes. And this was on a simple subject, most of the children know this already before coming to the Mentariata."

'Yes, she doesn't have the same background as most mentarion strength empaths,' Weissme thought to himself,'but how does this nuisance, of having to explain things the others take for granted, lead to an impression of insolence? That's what I want to know.'

Rasta spoke on, completely unaware of Weissme's speculations.

"Now that was very frustrating in itself, it was. But I did not take the frustrations out on her, Antwoine. From teaching the youngest classes I have extensive experience in controlling my temper upon meeting slow perception in students."

"You do indeed, Friedric, your patience with your students is renowned all over the school. It has won you a great deal of respect," said Weissme. These words were absolutely true, although mentally Weissme couldn't help but add,'If not for this respect, you might very well have been the laughing stock of the teaching staff, Friedric.' But Weissme only added this to himself, silently, in his thoughts.

If there was a village idiot in the teaching staff, then Femaron Rasta was it. He was not stupid, and not really unintelligent either, although those talking to him often got that impression. Rasta just didn't often bother to think things through, as a side effect this made him immensely naive too. A factor which Weissme took advantage of this day, to gain the understanding he sought.

"That was a very kind thing to say, Antwoine."

"Well deserved, Friedric. You do a great job with the youngsters, the smallest truly benefit from your patience." Weissme's words were sincere. He had chosen Femaron Rasta to teach Majgen the basics of the Mentarion Ways because of this same patience.

'The poor girl really needs a few steady rocks here in the school, and I never saw a rock as steady as good old Femaron Rasta. He may not be the smartest, but he has a heart of gold and the temper to use it.'

Prior to this talk, Weissme hadn't been sure Rasta considered Majgen to be insolent. His suspicion of it was based purely on statistics; every other teacher he had talked to had such an opinion of Majgen.

The praise from Weissme, backed by the honesty of the genuine respect he felt towards Rasta -- in the area of patience and temper -- distracted Rasta even more than first name basis had. The Femaron remained unsuspecting, did not realise he was being played into telling the Ottearon what others wouldn't.

"It is not that she sets out to be insolent, Antwoine. She isn't that kind of troublemaker, she just happens to have a natural talent for insult. I spent twenty minutes explaining the mechanics of mentarion rank to her. A topic we worked on the previous lesson too. She just didn't seem able to grasp it, other empathic children knows this stuff from kindergarten. Student Majgen had only heard of it from popular culture, primarily from movies and serial fictional entertainment broadcasts."

Weissme nodded in response to Antwoine's description, he was well aware what level of insight to the Mentarion Ways the average non-empathic teen had.

"Student Majgen had studied her homework," continued Rasta. "She had even memorised several sections of it. She isn't lazy. Just not very bright it seems. I spent twenty full minutes explaining over and over, with different wording, how the mentarion rank system works. Sometimes she interrupted me with questions regarding politics and positions. I don't really understand why, except it seemed to bother her that the ruling politicians in the Mentaricon are all above Syvaron rank."

Femaron Rasta blew a long sigh before talking on, he really had been agitated, and he had yet to reach the worst part of his tale.

"I had to stop and explain to her that by the Mentarion Ways only those ranked Syvaron or higher can run for a seat in the Mentaricon. It was the only way I could think of to get her back on track. You know how kids are, sometimes they obsess with an irrelevant -- yet somehow related -- topic, and then it can be impossible to get them back on track without satisfying their curiosity."

Weissme nodded again. Rasta did have a good understanding of ten and eleven year old students - his usual age group. Majgen was thirteen at this time, but Weissme had thought she could benefit a bit from the lenience usually reserved for the very youngest in the school.

"It did seem to help; after that point all her questions were related to the rank system. Student ranks, graduated ranks, how a mentarion gained promotions between different ranks. Finally, after almost thirty minutes, she explained the rank system to me using her own words. My hard work had paid off, she had it absolutely right, down to every last detail. For a moment I was relieved, happy that finally this was settled. I even praised her. But do you know what she did then, Antwoine?"

"No, Friedric, what did she do?" inquired Weissme, very interested in finding out what Majgen had done.

"She insulted me, and worse, she insulted the Mentarion Ways." Anger and hurt was evident in Rasta's voice. "That insolent little teen just sat there; turned those brown eyes to me; looked me straight in the eyes, and then she called me stupid and said the Mentarion Ways are ridiculous."

Weissme was shocked, he had never thought Majgen to be inclined to such behaviour. He could sense without a doubt that Rasta was speaking 'full truth'. Rasta was hurt and angry, but he was speaking honestly.

"Honestly, Antwoine, when she did that I lost my temper. I punished her," added Rasta.

"Understandable, Friedric, such direct offences may not be ignored."

"She wouldn't stand still, while I punished her, so I used a tyla."

"Tyla?" asked Weissme, he was getting a bad taste in his mouth.'Friedric Rasta using a tyla? To punish a thirteen year-old?'

"Yes, I had to tie her down, she kept trying to evade my swings. I haven't whipped anyone for years. Not since that Second Ranked Student beat one of the Tenth Ranked children to the infirmery, you remember that incident, Antwoine?"

"Yes, I remember, Friedric," said Weissme absently.'He really whipped Student Majgen tyla-style? Yesterday's lesson, a private lesson, security should still have the audio-visual of it on file.'

"Would you like some mocca, Friedric?" asked Weissme changing the topic. He would reserve further questions for after watching security's recordings of that lesson.

"That would be nice, Antwoine." Rasta started getting up.

"Stay in your seat, Friedric, you are my guest. I will make you mocca."

As intended, the notion of being served by an Ottearon made Femaron Rasta's head spin with awe. This gave Weissme the privacy needed to get his own emotions under control. When Rasta left Weissme's quarter about half an hour later, he still had no suspicion of having been manipulated.

Audio-clip from a surveillance recording:

Young female voice (neutral tone): "So from birth every empath has a certain potential, called empathic potential, this potential cannot be altered by training."

Elderly male voice (relieved tone): "Correct."

Young female voice (light happy tone): "I'm glad I got the biology right, Femaron Rasta."

Elderly male voice (neutral tone): "About one in a million humans has empathic abilities. Of those one in eighty is strong enough to fit the category mentarion."

Young female voice (light happy tone): "The non-empathic schools taught me that much."

Young female giggle.

Elderly male voice (undefinable tone): "Good."

Young female voice (neutral tone): "When discovered prior to the age of ten, empaths are taken from their biological families and moved to the custody of the Empaticon. To be raised by empathic foster-parents. At the age of ten the mentarion children are transferred on to the Mentaricon, the rest remains with their foster-parents to attend the school system for weaker empaths."

Elderly male voice (encouraging tone): "Very good, keep going."

Young female voice (lighter neutral one): "The Mentaricon divides the mentarion children between the three mentarion schools, where the mentarion children live until they graduate, become Etarons.

Elderly male voice (encouraging tone): "Good, keep going."

Young female voice (neutral tone): "There are ten mentarion student ranks ranks: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten. Ten is lowest, one is highest. There are nine graduated mentarion ranks: Etaron, Toaron, Trearon, Firearon, Femaron, Seksaron, Syvaron, Ottearon, Niaron. Etaron is lowest, Niaron is highest."

Elderly male voice (encouraging tone): "Very nice, keep going."

Young female voice (inquisitive tone): "A mentarion cannot rise to a higher rank than they have the empathic potential for?"

Elderly male voice (affirmative tone): "Correct."

Young female voice (insecure tone): "I must have misunderstood something, Femaron Rasta."

Elderly male voice (encouraging tone): "No, Student Majgen, you got everything right. Perfectly right."

(silent pause)

Young female voice (insecure tone): "Every mentarion has the empathic potential needed to reach Toaron rank, but higher than that is individual?"

Elderly male voice (encouraging tone): "Absolutely correct, Student. The higher rank, the fewer mentarions has the potential needed."

Young female voice (insecure tone): "And you told me only Syvarons or above could be elected for seats in the Mentaricon, Femaron Rasta?"

Elderly male voice (reproaching tone): "Yes, that is also correct, but that is another topic."

Young female voice (neutral tone): "It takes a lot of hard work and discipline for a mentarion to reach their maximum potential. Most mentarions take more than ten years to graduate to Etaron. Most Etarons use the personal mentor system, to gain the skill and experience needed to graduate to Toaron. After achieving Toaron rank, the road to Trearon or above, is lots and lots of practice and experience. Although courses exist there are no schools to attend at this point. When a mentarion feels confident that he has gained the skills needed for a promotion. He signs up for ranking exams, if he passes those exams, he will rise a rank."

Elderly male voice (encouraging tone): "Yes, very clear, very concise. Well done, Student Majgen."

Young female voice (insecure tone): "But no matter how hard he studies, or how wise he is, or how much experience he gains. A mentarion can't gain Syvaron rank if he was born without Syvaron potential, Femaron Rasta?"

Elderly male voice (reproaching tone): "We have been through this already, Student, no mentarion can rise above the potential they were born with. And the potential all mentarions share is Toaron. One rank above graduate."

Young female voice (undefinable tone): "But..."

Elderly male voice (reproaching tone): "Too many 'but's, Student Majgen. Too many. I will allow you one last 'but' now, one last question, and then we move on."

Young female voice (insecure tone): "My apologies, Femaron Rasta."

Elderly male voice (encouraging tone): "So let me hear that last but, Student, let it out."

Young female voice (insecure tone): "It was just. (Pause) I. (longer pause). It's stupid, Femaron Rasta. It doesn't make sense, why would only those born with higher potential be able to be elected for office? It's ludicrous, Femaron."

(Undefinable noises mingled with a female shriek).

#

Copyright of Nanna Marker (lit ID ellynei)

I've been replying to every single feedback with an e-mail attached, but I've also been told my mails often end up in spam boxes.

ellynei
ellynei
272 Followers
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
4 Comments
ellyneiellyneiover 15 years agoAuthor
Notice from Author.

Sorry people the full story will not be posted online. Don't start reading, contact me if you want word once it is available in book form, in the far future.

MalkorMalkorover 15 years ago
been a long time

Now I am sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to...well written as usual odd time to cut off the narrative of the study session...I would have liked to see more of what happened to set Rasta off...

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Not just wrong, but ludicrous...

DragosLove, USA: <i>"This chapter wasn't particularly interesting..."</i>

But ellynei is making an important point: Majgen considers it not just wrong, but ludicrous, that insufficiently high empathic potential can disbar a mentarion from elected office "no matter how hard he studies, or how wise he is, or how much experience he gains".

<i>"...but I love the story so far. Looking forward to the next chapter!"</i>

No argument there...

-- Peter, UK

DragosLoveDragosLoveover 15 years ago
Fabulous

This chapter wasn't particularly interesting, but I love the story so far. Looking forward to the next chapter!

Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Majgen Ch. 013 Previous Part
Majgen Series Info

Similar Stories

Venturer Runaway lady is discovered.in NonConsent/Reluctance
Sacrifice A voluntary sacrifice meets an unexpected end.in NonHuman
Animal Lover Ch. 01 He drags himself onto her porch.in NonHuman
Fire Ch. 01 A tale with fangs.in NonHuman
Δράκος, or A Story of Dragons Dragon saves a princess and finds a mate.in NonHuman
More Stories