Maragana Girl Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dukov's two criminals staggered across the plaza with their Spokesman as Kim picked up their punishment certificates and sentencing sheets. Once again she was running all over the courthouse and the police station looking for signatures, stamps, certified copies, delivering documents, picking up other documents. Finally she returned to Dukov's office and passed the two criminals lying face down on recovery tables.

Kim was a bit surprised to see Vladik and his partner in Vladim Dukov's office when she entered to deliver some papers. Vladik's presence eliminated at least one trip for Kim, since now he was on-hand to sign several medical certificates and receive a copy of the two criminals' sentencing sheets.

Vladim invited Kim to sit down and join them for a snack of Danubian fruit punch and cheese-rolls. As she sat down many questions entered her mind, among them how did Vladim and Vladik Dukov handle the conflicting goals of their jobs. Dukov's answer surprised Kim.

"Kimberly, our positions do not conflict at all. We all work for the same purpose, to keep our country safe under our laws. It is all one system. I am a part of that system, and Vladik is a different part of that system. It is like saying your hand and your foot are different from each other. Yes, they are indeed, but the body needs both the hand and the foot, just like a society needs policemen and its criminals need Spokespersons." Dukov sipped his punch, smiled at Vladik, and continued. "I will tell you that Vladik and I are very proud when we salute each other in court. I take pride in knowing he is a police officer, and he takes pride in knowing I am a Spokesman. Perhaps we must challenge each other at times, but in the end we want the same thing. We want the Duchy to be a safe and tranquil place for the people who live here."

"...and you're satisfied with the way things are here? You like...the whole thing with the collars and the switchings...and making criminals run around in the nude?"

"It is not that I like it, Kimberly. I was a criminal myself and I know what it is to dread the switch year after year. I feel very bad for the people who must suffer the consequences of their actions, which is why I studied to become a Spokesman. I do what I can to reduce the suffering criminals must face and fight any injustices that may work their way into the system. You, for example, suffered a great injustice at the hands of your friends and the prosecutor, which I had to address. Yes, we have problems, and our system has its deficiencies." Dukov took another sip of his punch and continued.

"But, think about it, Kimberly. No matter how cruel you may think things are here, remember one fact. Our country has no jails. We do not confine anyone for more than one night. The rest of the world says that what we do to our criminals is barbaric. But is it? Is it not more barbaric to put a person in a cage for many years and cut him off from his loved ones, from his work, from any usefulness in life?"

"Yes, Spokesman Dukov, I guess I see your point. To be honest, I still don't like what's happened to me, but you're right that it's better than sitting in a prison cell."

Vladik's police radio went off, calling him to an emergency a few blocks away. The two police officers excused themselves and left Dukov's office. Dukov decided to change the topic in his conversation with Kim.

"Kimberly, I would like to know something. What do you think would have happened to you if you had smoked your marijuana in peace and left the ground behind the Temple of the Ancients? If you had never been arrested and continued on your trip to Prague?"

"I guess we would have hit a bunch of discos in Prague, crashed at some friends' places...Tiff knows a bunch of people there. We'd of partied, maybe looked around a bit...probably not that much though...mostly we were partying."

"...and the marijuana? What would you have done with it?"

"Smoked it. Maybe party a bit with it...invite some friends to smoke...Tiff wanted to trade some of it for some smack...that's part of the reason we had so much with us."

"...and do you perceive that as a worthwhile use of your time...and your money?"

"No, of course it isn't. But you know how it is...people want to party and they don't know when to stop."

"Kimberly, another question...if I may...If you look back at your life in June through the prism of who you have become in September, how do you see yourself?"

Kim thought about it. Finally she answered. "If you really want to know, I don't think things were going well. I mean...we came to Europe to see it, and all we were doing was getting high. We spent a bunch of money to get to Amsterdam, and we just sat in the pot cafes all day, smoking weed. I was doing more and more of it. That's why I got kinda desperate after lunch when we got here...I just had to have a smoke. It was all weed for me, and...here Tiff was talking about smack...and I would have tried it...and I know better. That stuff fucks you up, but I would have done it anyway."

"...and there is my point. You had dedicated your life to your "partying," as you say it. Your life was not going in a good direction. It is quite possible your experience may have ended elsewhere under equally bad, or even worse, circumstances. If you believe yourself unlucky please give that consideration."

Kim sat silent for a minute. "Spokesman Dukov...there is something else that I realize. I don't like who I was back in June. I mean...I pulled a lot of shit on my parents and on everyone else. I didn't appreciate anything...all I wanted to do was party."

"Like in your bicycle poem..."

"Like in my bicycle poem. Exactly Sir...like in my bicycle poem. I didn't appreciate anything...not if it wasn't from Tiff and Susan...and now all that's gone, and I don't know what I want. I really don't know..."

Dukov smiled slightly. "There is no rush. You have two years to figure it out. That is one thing that seems to trouble you Americans; you think you need to have everything in your lives resolved right away. Such haste in life is unnecessary. Perhaps...perhaps your two years in our country will serve its purpose. You will have time to reflect about your life, and to think about what you really want for yourself."

Kim sighed. "I don't know." She tugged at her collar. "This sure is a rough way to do it."

"It is never easy, Kimberly. It is not meant to be easy. It is meant to work. It is meant to force you to change." Dukov stood up and smiled. "Come. Let us return to my house and have dinner. You can leave Victor's bicycle up here instead of returning it tonight. I will call him and let him know that I instructed you to do so."

12