Mason Ch. 04

Story Info
A close call, decisions.
8.1k words
4.69
23.2k
12

Part 4 of the 15 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 09/25/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,666 Followers

James was discharged from the hospital a week later. The cardiac enzymes had come back negative but the heart catheterization showed that he had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy—a thickening of the heart muscles.

"What that means is that you can't exercise as vigorously as before, this thing can kill you if you do. If you do as you're supposed to, and take the meds, you can and will live a long life," Dr. Myers told them. "One other thing, I don't know if you're aware of it but this is hereditary. Someone in your family had or has this condition; it would be wise to have any close family members screened. I also know that you're at the age when you're probably thinking about children, so this may be a concern for you. I can't say whether your children will have this condition; it's entirely possible that they won't. I know a good pediatric cardiologist that you can talk to; his specialty is genetically based heart conditions."

James held onto Toni's hand; in her stubbornness about him coming to the hospital, she really had saved his life. The pressing question that he had right now was about their sex life, they would have to talk about the baby thing again.

"What about making love?" James asked, not in the least bit embarrassed.

"As long as you're not into marathon sessions, you'll be fine. And, if you are, you might die a happy man," the doctor replied.

"Seriously," James agreed. "So making love is okay?"

"Like I said, you'll be fine but if you are into marathon love making sessions, rest an hour or two in between," the Dr. said, giving James a curious look.

Toni already knew what James was thinking. He wanted to work on starting a family as soon as they got home, but first they had to talk about the chances that the baby could be born with the same defect that he had. She was glad that she hadn't stopped taking the birth control pills.

"Can we make love today or is there a waiting period?" he asked.

Dr. Myers laughed. "Today, if you feel up to it but don't overdo it," he admonished. "And I want to see you in my office in two weeks."

Two hours later they were home and, just as Toni suspected, James wasted no time in getting her into bed. She really had missed him in bed with her. She had started coming home after his third night. Well, after he had had enough of her being grouchy.

"Sweetness, go home already!" he'd stated firmly. "You're a mess and you're driving everyone, including me, nuts. If you're worried about Nurse Kim jumping my bones, forget it, these bones belong to one woman only and that's the super grouchy woman sitting on my bed, now go home!" he sighed into her mouth and kissed her.

She had left only because he felt and looked much better, and she hadn't had the feeling that he would die on her.

The first night Toni had slept the sleep of the fully exhausted but was up early to be at the hospital so that she could have breakfast with James.

When she showed up he beamed at her. "There she is!" he said to none other than Kim.

Toni went over to the bed and kissed him, not caring that Kim was watching.

"Feel better?" he asked as he cupped her face with a warm hand.

"Better," she agreed.

That had been four days ago and now he was home and in bed with her already wanting round two.

"Slow down there," she teased, "I just got you home and I'm not ready to take you back to the hospital."

James lay back and pulled her close.

"Did you stop taking the pill?" he asked.

"I...."

"You didn't, did you?" James asked angrily.

"James, I just wanted us to be sure about this and now that we know what you have is hereditary—"

"But we didn't know that until today," he interrupted. "Toni, tell me the truth, do you want a baby or not? Forget about the heart thing for now, do you want a child with me?" he asked.

Toni sat up and looked down at him. "Yes but James, what do I know about being a mother? And you have to admit that, given what we now know, it was just as well that I didn't. And besides, you know as well as I do that it takes time for the pill to work its way out of the system."

James took a deep breath and blew it out. He pulled Toni back into his arms.

"I'm sorry, sweetness, I know but you know how I get once I get a bee in my bonnet. But you know, I don't know anything about being a father either; well, other than the way that I was raised, but we'll learn how to be good parents together," James said confidently.

"But what about the heart condition? We can't just ignore that," Toni insisted.

"No, we can't but we could go see that pediatric cardiologist before we decide. So, I guess, we stay on the pill until we do," James replied.

Toni kissed his chest, closed her eyes and whispered a prayer of thanks that James was home. And then another, hoping that the chances of their children being born with the heart condition was small.

...

It had been a week since Mason went to see Ethan and Katrina. As he knew would happen, the open sore now had a very thin skin and, while still painful, the pain was less and was becoming more manageable. He threw himself into his work, even seeing some of Ethan's male relatives when Eustace couldn't fit them all in. They were truly a fucked up bunch but they were slowly, but surely getting better. Now that Mitchell Sinclaire was dead, they were coming out of the woodwork in droves. He and Eustace had already talked about adding a third therapist as more and more males came forward, seeking help for a variety of issues. It was to the point where they would have to start working weekends to keep up.

He had just mixed himself a drink when his cell phone rang; he checked the ID and answered. "Gretchen! Where are you? Here in Boston? Come on over!"

Mason gave Gretchen his address and waited for her to come. He hadn't thought about her in quite some time. He wondered what she had been up to and what she was doing in Boston, if he recalled correctly, she hated the cold weather.

He went to the kitchen to see what he had to cook for dinner and decided to take her out instead. He logged onto his laptop to see what nice restaurants were nearby and found that he was actually excited to see her. For the first time since he could remember, he wasn't thinking about Katrina.

Gretchen was at his door by seven. Mason thought she was as lovely as ever, a little too thin for his tastes, but lovely none the less. He greeted her with a hug and a kiss on the cheek when he let her in. "Welcome!" he said when he released her from his hug.

"Thank you," she replied. "How do you stand this weather?" she asked shivering.

"One gets used to it; what are you doing here?" he asked.

"Another one of those boring OB conferences and I heard that you were here and decided to play hooky and look you up."

"Who told you that I was here?" he asked.

"I'm still close to Katrina and she told me the last time that I talked to her," she replied.

Mason nodded. "Have you eaten yet? I found this Italian place online and it looks good."

"Does that mean that I have to go out in the cold again?" she asked.

Mason laughed. "I could order pizza if you like and I have some wine to go with it."

"I'd like that, just no anchovies on the pizza, if you please."

While Mason ordered the pizza, Gretchen walked around the kitchen. She loved to cook but rarely did because of time, and she hated cooking for just herself. And, judging from the spotless kitchen, Mason didn't cook much either.

She watched Mason as he moved about the kitchen, he really was attractive she thought to herself. What she really wanted to know was how he was doing since Katrina and Ethan were officially a couple. She wanted to ask but wasn't sure that she should. He looked good, literally and figuratively, but what about emotionally.

"I know that you're dying to ask, so ask," Mason said as he poured the wine.

Gretchen paused and then plunged ahead. "How are you?" she asked.

"Better, I'm sure that Katrina told you that I came to see them last week," he replied.

"Actually, she didn't. I haven't spoken to her or Ethan in almost two weeks. Was it hard for you?"

"Let's just say that it wasn't the easiest thing that I've ever done, but it was necessary in order for me to move on."

"What about you?" Mason asked. "Why are you still single?" he asked, handing her a glass of wine.

"I don't know, I guess I'm just too busy to look for him," Gretchen replied. "Do you really like it here?" she asked.

"It's actually grown on me," Mason responded. "But I do miss the warmth and the palm trees of California," he added as he poured more wine in Gretchen's glass. "So, how long are you in town for?"

"A week, although it escapes me why it would take a week to discuss how to deliver babies, I've only been doing it for the past four hundred plus years and, for the most part, they still come out the same way."

Mason laughed. "The mental health conferences aren't much better, although they do keep coming up with new mental illnesses. Where are you staying?"

"At the embassy suites, where the conference is being held," Gretchen replied.

"You could stay here, there's plenty of room," Mason offered, thinking that it would be nice to have someone else around for awhile.

"No, but thanks. At least there I won't have to go out into the cold," she replied.

The doorbell rang, interrupting any further conversation. Mason went to the door and paid the delivery person, giving her a hefty tip. Gretchen had managed to find the cabinets with the dishes in it while he was gone. They ate in an easy silence and cleaned up the leftovers and dishes together.

Mason looked at Gretchen and had the same thought that he did a few years ago, Gretchen was a lovely woman and a man could do much worse than her. He wondered where her mate was and if she had ever actively looked for him.

"So, Mason, tell me the truth, how are you really?" Gretchen asked.

"Slowly getting better," he replied.

He told her about the visit with Ethan, Katrina and the girls. "It was what I needed to do. Unfortunately, I didn't do it soon enough, my mate married someone else while I wasted time lamenting over a woman that I could and would never have."

Gretchen was silent for a moment. "What do you plan to do?" she asked.

"What can I do but wait for her?" Mason replied. "I won't do anything to interfere with her life as it is. She loves her husband and he her. Anyway," he cleared his throat, "changing the subject back to you, tell me again why you aren't mated."

Gretchen laughed. "Always the therapist, aren't you? But to answer your question, I don't believe that I have a mate. Not all of us do you know."

"I don't believe that," Mason replied.

Gretchen shrugged. "Whatever. But if I have one, he's hiding himself from me," she replied and then hesitated.

"What is it?" Mason asked.

"Nothing, I should go. The first session starts at eight," Gretchen said standing up. "Thank you for dinner."

Suddenly Mason didn't want to be alone, he wondered if Gretchen didn't feel the same way. "Gretchen, stay," he said softly.

"Mason..."

"I don't want to be alone tonight and, if my hunch is correct, neither do you. You said that you were going to play hooky."

"I shouldn't..." she started to say.

"But you will," Mason finished, interrupting her. "You really don't want to go back to the hotel and to that boring conference any more than I want you to go."

Gretchen sat back down, signaling that she was going to stay. The subject of where she was going to sleep didn't need to be discussed, they both knew that she was going to end up in his bed, even if she started out in another bed somewhere else in the house.

...

A month later, James was back to work. He was his usual cheerful self and Toni was relieved that he was back to full strength, even though he still had to watch himself. They decided between them that they wouldn't pick up any extra shifts and that they would try to work as many of the same shifts together as possible. Their days off, they spent making love and talking about names for their children even though Toni wasn't pregnant yet—she was still on birth control and they still hadn't met with the pediatric cardiologist. The fact that they were taking their time in deciding whether to have a baby went a long way in settling Toni's anxiety about motherhood; she was actually beginning to look forward to it.

About a week after James returned to work, he ran into Kim.

"Hi, Jamie!" she quipped when she saw that Toni wasn't anywhere around.

"Oh, hi," James said, uncomfortable with the familiar tone that Kim was using. "And I think that you should call me Dr. Jacobson, I don't want people getting the wrong idea," he said.

"I thought we were friends, we were going to go to my place after drinks that night," she reminded him.

James looked around to see if anyone was nearby.

"Yes, well that was a couple of years ago and I thought that I had lost Toni. It was a mistake for me to get drunk like that. If I hurt your feelings back then, I'm sorry but I loved Toni then and I love her now," James assured, hoping that she would catch the hint.

Kim looked at him and then shrugged. She knew a lost cause when she spotted one, and Dr. James Jacobson was a lost cause, there were plenty of other rich doctors around who, while not nearly as rich as this one, would be easier to manipulate.

Toni was coming around the corner when she spotted Kim talking to James and she bristled. Without hesitating she walked up to them. "Hi, James," she said, touching his hand. "Oh hi, Kim, are you headed home?" she asked sweetly.

"Yeah, it's been a long night," Kim replied. "Have a good day," she added as she walked away.

"What was that all about?" Toni asked as she watched Kim walk away.

"Not sure, but I think that she wanted to jump my bones," James replied distractedly.

Toni laughed. "James, I knew that from the first time she laid eyes on you, and it hasn't changed."

"Toni, we have five days off starting tonight, let's go somewhere," James said.

"Okay, where do you want to go?" she asked.

"Someplace quiet and romantic with no phones or television, just us."

"James, are you alright?" Toni asked searching his face.

"I'm fine, sweetness; I just want to be alone with you somewhere nice and warm. How does the Bahamas sound? We could leave tonight after work, what do you think?" he asked.

"I think that sounds absolutely wonderful!" she exclaimed. She was tired of the cold weather and really wanted to talk to James about moving to a warmer climate like Florida or California even. The trip to the Bahamas would be the perfect springboard for the conversation. She talked to her parents every other day or so and they loved the warm weather and retirement. The more they talked about the weather the more Toni wanted to move. She knew that James' parents would object but he wouldn't let that sway him anymore than when his mother had tried to talk him out of marrying her. Toni smiled to herself; this move, if she could get James to agree to it, would be good for the both of them.

...

Gretchen came down the stairs and found Mason in the kitchen. "Evening," she said as she greeted him with a kiss.

"Good evening to you too," he replied, returning the kiss. "The coffee is fresh and pancakes will be ready soon," he added.

Neither of them, especially Mason, had any illusions as to what was happening, they were both lonely and were taking comfort from each other by mutual consent. Gretchen came to Boston once a month and stayed for a week or so before going back to LA. As the weather began to warm, she began to see the charms of Boston but had no desire to move there on a permanent basis. If she and Mason were to become a couple, it would be something that she would think about but that wasn't going to happen as far as she could tell. Mason was waiting for his mate. She would take their relationship as it was, for as long as it lasted, and then move on, maybe even look for her mate if she had one.

Mason watched Gretchen from the corner of his eye. He had the feeling that Gretchen was starting to feel more for him than what was good and felt the need to clarify their relationship. He carried the plate of pancakes with bacon over to the table and sat down.

After they ate, he began to talk. "Gretchen, you are an amazing and beautiful woman and I am enjoying our time together, but I feel led to remind you that this can't be anymore than what it is. I belong to another, even though she is married to someone else—"

"Mason, I know all of this; we've talked about it and I'm fine with things as they are," Gretchen said interrupting him. "I am fully aware that this is a temporary situation until I find my mate, Toni comes to you, or we decide to end it. Don't worry, I'm not falling in love with you," she said as she drained her coffee cup.

Mason let the subject drop, not entirely satisfied that she understood that their relationship was purely physical. Gretchen volunteered to clean up since he cooked and he had to go to the office.

"Thanks, what are your plans for the evening?" he asked as he stood to head to the shower.

"I don't know, I have a book that I've been wanting to start; maybe I'll do that," she replied as she started to clear the table.

"Well, enjoy your evening, mine is packed full," Mason replied as he gave her a peck on the cheek.

Gretchen watched him walk away with mixed feelings. She felt more for him than she had let on. The feelings started when he started bringing Katrina to her prenatal visits. She never initiated anything because she wasn't what he was looking for in a mate. She was tall, thin, red haired and definitely not the right skin color. Gretchen sighed and cleaned up the kitchen, she wished that whoever her mate was would show himself.

...

Eustace was already at the office when Mason arrived.

"There you are!" Eustace exclaimed.

Mason frowned. "Am I late for something?" he asked.

"Your evening appointment is here," Eustace said as he sat down in the chair across from his desk.

"Eustace, what in the fuck are you going on about?" Mason asked irritated. He hated games, especially so early in the evening.

"Mason, I'm your evening appointment," Eustace said.

"You? You booked me for the whole night?" Mason asked shocked.

"I did and I would like to suggest that we take this upstairs where we'll be more comfortable," Eustace replied.

Mason looked at Eustace and wondered who was seeing their clients this evening. "Eustace, what about our clients? Who's seeing them?"

"It's all taken care of, I've made other arrangements for them; shall we go?"

Once they were upstairs, and each had a drink in his hand, Eustace began to talk.

"You wanted to know if I wanted a mate, the answer is, yes. And you wanted to know if I looked for her again. The answer is, yes; well, kind of. I kind of looked for a long time before I finally said the hell with it and settled down here in Boston. In many ways I've grown accustomed to being here alone so I was glad when you called; it's been good having you here."

Mason waited for Eustace to continue. As he did, he looked at the vampire's appearance. He was as tall as he was and just as muscular. His eyes were a dark brown that could be black, his skin was the color of dark hot chocolate, and he was an extremely handsome man.

"Mason, you've been around the block a time or two, so I thought that you were the best person to help me with my...problem," Eustace said.

Mason sat up straighter, wondering what was going on. Eustace was fidgeting like a nervous schoolboy. Was he gay? he wondered.

"Eustace, whatever it is, you can tell me. God knows how much you've helped me these past months, please allow me to return the favor," Mason said and then waited.

kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,666 Followers