Masters of the Arches Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
lucsmith
lucsmith
447 Followers

He had been busy pulling a fish out of the lake by mean of a bone hook hidden in a scrap of meat. As he hauled the still struggling fish out of the water, he was surprised to see the water of the lake at a distance of ten or twelve feet behind the fish starting to bubble. Then all of a sudden a monstrous head covered with thick scales broke the surface of the lake and it snapped the fish he was still holding above the water. Of course he did loose his fish and when he later examined the leather line, it was cut as neatly as if it had been done with a knife.

As long as they remained on the island there was no question of building a fire since the smoke would reveal their presence. Cold Wind's burned scars were healing very well and far faster than anything Vincent had ever seen. The Rad virus was doing its work well and all the damaged tissues were being replaced perfectly and not a scar would be left once the burned portion of skin would be healed completely. Vincent had been told that the Rad virus would even grow an arm or a leg if the need happened.

Cold Wind was soon feeling much better and within a week he was well enough to walk without any help. He explained how he had been made prisoner when a few dozens men of the Krowla tribe had ambushed him and two of his companions. The Krowla had been using a sort of blowgun that could send very short arrows that had their tips coated with a paralyzing substance.

As soon as a man or an animal had his skin pierced by the very thin arrow, he would become almost instantaneously paralyzed. The Krowla did not kill their prisoners immediately since they preferred to keep them alive so that they could torture them later. They believed that the pain endured by these unfortunate souls was that much less pain that their tribe would have to suffer later.

On their way back to the Krowla camp, two other warriors from another tribe and their women had been captured also. Cold Wind had been held prisoner for over a month and every four or five days they would tie him with the other prisoners to a post in the center of the village and cause him pain either by mean of fire or by hitting them. He was awared of one prisoner that had been in the Krowla's hands for over six months, he had been killed the very night that Vincent had rescue him.

The whole Krowla tribe had been celebrating the god of the lake that night and since it was their most sacred god, the festivities had been greater than usual.

The more that Vincent heard about the Krowla, the greater he felt his dislike for these pitiless and cowardly people. It was the same with Nika and Verla, both women knew tribes that had been known to be cruel, but none of them even came close to the Krowla in this respect.

On the morning of the seventh day after their arrival on the island, they left their safe sanctuary since Cold Wind had almost completely recovered by then.

Vincent was the first to swim across the narrow channel and after inspecting the beach and the surrounding area, he signaled his companions to cross over and join him. They all knew that they were taking a chance in swimming into the water of the lake. The incident of the fish that had been stolen by the scaled creature was still fresh in their mind but they had no other option if they intended to reach the mainland.

As soon as they had all cross over, they began walking south along the beach once again. There was no use in trying to hide their tracks now and their best option was to put as much distance as possible between themselves and the Krowla's village.

For the next three days they walked on the hot sand on the shore of the lake, stopping only once a day to hunt and eat. There were plenty of games -- only a few hundred yards away from the beach -- in the dense forest. To Vincent, most of the animal life -- which was in abundance everywhere -- was completely new to him and he was fascinated to the utmost by the different shapes and strange looking creatures that he saw.

On the first day, Cold Wind brought down a short-legged animal, -- he had made a bow and a dozen arrows while on the island -- that resembled a giant fox but being many times the size of a fox and with much longer teeth. They cooked it and its meat tasted like nothing Vincent has ever eaten before, even the raw meat was very palatable -- Cold Wind did prefer to eat it raw.

Soon they had a reserve of smoked meat and plenty of fruits and nuts. To Vincent it was evident that the forest around the lake was a real paradise for hunting.

On the third day after leaving the island, they reached the southern tip of the lake. Cold Wind told them that he was now familiar with the country and that they were safe from the Krowla since they were in the hunting ground of his own people who called themselves the Taloona.

Cold Wind wanted them to follow him to his village, but it met that they would have to walk over fifteen miles north on the other side of the lake.

" I am sorry Cold Wind " but your village is not on our path, " said Vincent to a disappointed Cold Wind.

" But you will be treated with honor and the whole village will want to reward you for rescuing me. I am the only son of Round Stone who is our chief. My father will be very disappointed at me for not insisting that you follow me to our village. "

" You must understand that it is very important that I go south, and I must do so as quickly as possible. If it were possible we would be more than willing to accompany you."

" Then I must go with you. You have saved my life and I can't return to my people if you don't come with me. "

"Tell me Cold Wind, " said Nika, "do you know many people from your village that have travelled far toward the south? "

" No. There are many bad tribes there; there are stories of strange animals living in the huge forest in that direction. Beside, all those that went there never came back. But we do have someone living with us who use to live in a land very far in the south. "

" Really, and for how long has he been living in your village? " Asked Vincent.

Cold Wind's face brightened when he realized that they might be interested in meeting Kowa who was the village sorcerer.

" You can talk to him if you come with me, he will tell you everything about the land far to the south. He is not from our people. Many years ago he came to our village with a strange box that talk to him. He can talk to the spirit within the box and when it answers back to him everyone can hear the voice inside. He is the greatest sorcerer in the world. "

" A box that talks, how strange." Said Vincent.

It was quite evident to Vincent that this box was the product of a higher civilization and he figured that it might be worth the trip to see and talk to this Kowa.

" Yes, you have convinced me Cold Wind, we will follow you to your village and I will have a talk with this Kowa. "

(to be continued)

lucsmith
lucsmith
447 Followers
12