Maverick Cattle Company Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mitch gave a deep chuckle, "Yeah, who says?"

<><><><>

The week following their trip had passed uneventfully. Mitch was glad it was Friday. He was ready for Darrin and Josh to be around to help with the chores. But he also couldn't believe he and Darrin had managed to have sex three times during the night in the hotel room. They hadn't managed that since they'd first gotten together. As he finished cooking breakfast, the other two walked in and sat down to eat. Mitch grabbed his own plate, knowing there would be no food left after Josh finished. They ate the meal in companionable silence. After Josh snagged the final piece of bacon, Darrin sighed.

"Damn, I'm glad this week is over. It's been busy," said Darrin.

"Yeah, I know what you mean," said Mitch, "How about we take an evening off. Go to the movies."

"That sounds good," said Darrin, "Josh, you wanna go?"

Josh looked up as he licked his fingers. "No, I think Tony and I are going somewhere . . ." said Josh absently.

"Everything ok?" asked Darrin, still angry with Josh's boyfriend.

"Yeah. Yeah sure, it's all good. Tony's just been busy. He hasn't had much free time for us to be together."

"Ok, well be careful. We won't be too late," said Mitch with a significant look at Darrin.

<><><><>

Darrin and Mitch walked to the door arm in arm, enjoying the brief time of relaxation that they so seldom got to experience. They'd noticed Josh's pickup, but since the house was dark they decided he was with Tony. But as they walked into the house, they both felt something was wrong. Flipping on lights as they went, they soon found Josh sitting on the floor of the living room, leaned against the chair. Empty beer bottles, as well as a few liquor bottles Mitch didn't recognize, surrounded him. Darrin and Mitch squatted on either side of him as he looked at them.

"Fucker dumped me!" cried Josh incoherently.

"Who dumped you, Josh?" asked Darrin quietly.

"Tony! The god damn mother fucking son of a bitch!" Josh spat out.

"What happened? Are you ok?" asked Mitch.

Josh sobbed and then drained the bottle he was holding, "No! I'm not ok, god damn it! God damn, Mitch. I loved him. He dropped me like I was trash." Josh's leaned against Mitch, who wrapped his arms around the sobbing teen.

Darrin rubbed Josh's back as he sobbed against Mitch. "It'll be ok, Josh. It's his loss."

"No, it fuck'n isn't ok. He just fucked me and dumped me like some two-bit whore," said Josh between the sobs.

"I know, babe," said Mitch, "I know it hurts. But it will get better."

"I was so stupid. I thought he really was going to take me to the prom," said Josh between his tears, "That's what started it. I asked about prom."

The thought started a new round of heart wrenching sobs. Finally he calmed down enough to speak, "He laughed at me. He said I was stupid if I thought he was taking me to the prom where all his friends could see us."

Mitch patted Josh on the back, knowing that time was the only solution to this kind of hurt. "It's ok, Josh. We've all been there. It feels like he ripped your heart out and stomped on it. Believe me, I know what that feels like."

Josh's sobs quieted and he looked at Mitch, "Even you?"

"Yes, Josh. Even me."

Josh lifted the empty bottle to his lips and then absentmindedly dropped it when he found it was empty. "Need more beer, Mitch. Please! It helps the hurt."

Mitch squatted in front of the boy and looked at his glassy eyes. "No Josh. It doesn't. You just think it's helping. Come on. Let's get you to bed."

"Is helping!" slurred Josh as he tried to get up. "My folks said booze was evil. Fuck 'em. Makes everything better." Josh paused and tried to focus on Darrin's face, "Tasted like shit at first, but then it got better. Helps the hurt, lots."

"No, Josh," said Mitch gently, "It just hides it until you're sober again. It isn't really helping. Let me help you get in bed."

"Don't fuck'n wanna go to bed, damn it! Fucker dumped me. Just fuck'n dumped me," he gasped a little and wrapped his arms around himself, "It hurts bad. It really hurts and I want it to stop. I loved him. I thought we were gonna be like you two."

"Josh," Darrin held his face, "It will be better. It's just really raw right now. You'll find someone. There's someone out there who just fits you, Josh. Like Mitch and I fit each other."

Josh nodded and seemed to calm down. Then with a strange expression he looked up at Darrin. "I don't feel good."

"Oh shit, Mitch. Help me get him to the bathroom before he pukes!"

Darrin reached in and wedged a shoulder under Josh's arm while Mitch grabbed the other side. Pulling him up between them, Josh laid his head on Darrin's shoulder. They took a step forward, and Josh moaned into Darrin's ear.

"Oh god Darrin. I don't feel good. I think I'm going to—"

Josh was stopped by an eruptive vomit that would have been fitting on a movie set. Over almost before it began, it ended with Darrin covered in nastiness and Mitch gagging. Darrin glared at Mitch as the viscous mess dripped from him.

"Don't you dare throw-up. I'll hurt you in your sleep," sniped Darrin.

"Oh god! Smells so— Urg! Oh shit Darrin. Urgg!"

"Get out! Go! I'm not cleaning up a mess from both of you!"

With a look of utter disgust on his face, Darrin shouldered Josh into the bathroom and shoved him, clothes and all, into the shower. Flipping the water on full blast, he left Josh to finish purging himself of the alcohol he'd drank, while Darrin cleaned himself up. Walking back into the bathroom he found Josh sitting limply on the bench and moaning. He reached in and turned off the torrent of tepid water.

"You better?" he asked Josh.

"God I just want to die . . ." moaned Josh.

"You won't die. But I'm leaving a trash can beside your bed in case you aren't finished. I have enough puke to clean up as it is," said Darrin with disgust, and a little sympathy. "Here are some shorts. Strip out of your wet clothes in the shower and leave 'em there."

Josh nodded as the water dripped from him. He struggled to open his jeans and with a pathetic look turned to Darrin. "I can't get my pants open. I gotta pee too, really bad." "Oh jeez! Here! Just pee in the shower." Darrin reached over, turned on the shower full blast and walked out. After a few minutes he came back in to find Josh passed out against the shower wall.

"Damn it, Josh!" Darrin said quietly. Shutting off the shower he reached in and started stripping the unconscious youngster. He struggled with the wet clothes a few times but finally had him undressed. After drying him as best he could, Darrin yanked on the gym shorts he had left for him to put on. Grabbing Josh's arm he lifted him onto his shoulder and out of the shower. Spotting Mitch lurking in the bedroom he barked out.

"Get your little ass over here and help me! He's damn heavy and out like a light."

Mitch meekly walked over to Darrin and draped Josh's other arm over his shoulder. The two finally got Josh into bed and were relieved to hear him snoring softly.

"You think he'll be ok?" asked Darrin.

"Yeah, he'll be fine. I just hope he doesn't hurl again," said Mitch with a sheepish look, "I can't take the smell of puke . . . sorry."

"Yeah, I noticed, my macho man," said Darrin with a smirk. He turned and grabbed the trash can and sat it beside Josh's bed. He looked up to see Mitch grinning at him. "I know. He won't find the trash if he gets sick again. But at least I have a little chance at not cleaning up more vomit."

"Come on, Dad. I'll keep an eye on the youngster tonight to make sure he's ok."

"Thanks. I don't think I could handle any more crisis' tonight," said Darrin as the two walked back into their own bedroom.

<><><><>

Mitch looked up from the metal post he was driving to see Josh walking across the pasture toward them. It was early afternoon and he and Darrin had been working on fence for several hours, but they'd let Josh sleep. They thought that was the best thing they could do for him after last night. As he got closer Mitch could see Josh was wearing his work gloves and was obviously out here to help.

"Josh, you don't have to help today if you want to take the day off," said Mitch.

"No. You guys are paying me to help. I already wasted half the day so I need to work."

"How are you feeling?" asked Darrin.

"Fine."

"Really?" said Mitch with disbelief in his voice.

"Well, no. My head hurts like a . . . well really bad."

"Did you get something to eat?"

"Oh god no! I don't ever want food again!" said Josh as he turned a little green.

Darrin chuckled and then continued, "Sorry you had such a rough night. It will get better," said Darrin with a comforting smile. "Sorry about Tony too. I know it hurts. We've all been there, unfortunately."

Josh unconsciously wiped his hand across his eyes and shrugged, not wanting to talk about it. After a few moments to gather himself, he looked at them with another shrug. "His loss, the asshole, I'll survive. I just can't believe I was so stupid."

Mitch smiled, "We've all been that stupid, Josh. Just don't let it get to you. You're a great guy and you'll have more boyfriends."

"I know you're right," Josh said, with a bitter smile, "But I was kinda looking forward to the prom. I know. It's stupid."

Darrin patted him on the back. "No, not stupid at all. Maybe something will work out."

Mitch grabbed the post driver and started pounding the post into the ground. Taking their cue from him, Josh and Darrin started getting the materials and helping Mitch with the fencing.

<><><><>

Darrin listened carefully as Dr. Ruck went over the project. They had reviewed the objectives and goals to make sure everything was in order. After evaluating all the equipment needs and working through a rough budget, they had a final grant proposal ready to submit. They'd both signed in all the appropriate spots and Emma leaned back and looked at Darrin.

"What's wrong, Darrin? You seem a little off today."

"Oh. I'm sorry. Did I miss something?" said Darrin.

"No, this is fine. I'd have told you if your work was suffering. I just meant you seem more . . . serious I guess. Anything I can help with?" said Emma.

"Not really. Josh, the kid who's living with us, got dumped by his boyfriend a week or so ago. He's doing ok, but he thought they were going to the prom together. I wish there was something I could do, but he doesn't want to go to the prom at school now. And I can't say that I really blame him either."

Emma leaned back and studied Darrin for a few minutes. "This is really important to you isn't it?"

Darrin sat and considered the question for a few moments. With a small sigh he nodded, "Yes, I guess it is. I think back to my high school days. It would have been nice to be able to share that with someone, regardless of their gender."

Dr. Ruck smiled across the table at him. "Then do it!"

"Do what? The high school isn't going to change anything," said Darrin.

"And if the first line of research fails what do you? Find another approach of course. Have the prom at your ranch! I'm not so old I can't remember 'Footloose'."

Darrin chuckled and considered the suggestion. "Yeah, that might work. We could clean out the barn, it's huge, and Josh could invite some friends."

"If you're going to do it, you should send an invitation to the campus Gay-Straight Alliance. I'm sure there are kids in it who wished they'd had their prom too," she said with a smile, "I'll even help if you'd like. I can plan a mean party. Just ask William. How do you think he and Lex met?"

Darrin chuckled and nodded, "Yeah, I think that would be great. I'm sure I can recruit Mitch too." He thought for a few more moments and then a broad smile broke out across his face.

"Let's do it!"

<><><><>

Mitch and Darrin arrived at the house exhausted. Darrin had a rare day away from the university and they'd decided to get a few of the supplies that they were going to need for the prom they were planning. Both of them were wondering how it was going to go, afraid that Josh would be in an empty room with a big bowl of punch. Darrin had given the information to the Gay-Straight Alliance on campus though, and they seemed excited. So they were hoping at least a few people would come. Darrin and Mitch both had made it clear that it was open to anyone, not just GLBT students. But still the worry was settling into both of them, but worrying about it wasn't going to change anything. They'd just have to see who showed up that night.

Going into the house they heard the booming sounds of Josh playing his latest shooter game. He'd seemed a lot happier after they'd told him about the plans for the alternative prom. He really hadn't bounced back from Tony dumping him as quickly as he'd tried to make everyone think. Darrin had caught him staring dejected into space several times. They were both well aware of how long it could take to get over your first love, and first rejection. So they were not trying to force Josh into anything. But considering where he had been last summer, Josh was dealing with everything amazingly well.

But the sounds filtering from the living room sounded anything but melancholy. It sounded like a young man having one hell of a time actually, cheering at victories and cussing the game at defeats. Mitch grabbed two beers from the refrigerator and handed one to Darrin. Sipping the cold beverage they walked to the doorway and watched Josh for a few minutes. Eventually he turned and saw them standing watching.

"Hey guys! How are things?" he said as he sat down the game controller.

"Good," Mitch said cautiously, "And how about you? Everything ok?"

"Oh hell yeah! It's a grand and glorious day in my world."

"What's going on Josh? Not that I'm not glad to see you in a good mood, but . . ."

Josh's smile got even broader, his reaction starting to worry both guys. "Tony got outted today! To the whole football team! It was great!"

"Josh, did you out Tony? I mean he probably deserves it, but . . ."

"Not me! I mean he's a complete asshole, but I still wouldn't do that to anyone," said Josh, sounding more than a little offended. "It was Ross, apparently stud Tony was fucking more than one guy. All the broken dates had him dipping his wick somewhere else. Apparently Ross didn't make him use a rubber either, and found out about someone else. I don't know how many guy's Tony was with, but I'm damn glad I listened to you guys about the condoms."

"So, what happened? To Tony," asked Darrin.

Josh giggled, a little high on the retribution someone else had provided for him. "It was great! In the middle of the hallway, right in front of Tony's football buddies. Ross just exploded. Told him he found out he was fucking some army dude in Lawton. Called him a two-timing son of a bitch. It was great?"

"What about Tony?" asked Darrin quietly.

Josh flashed a look at Darrin, "No! We are not feeling sorry for that son of a bitch! He got what he deserved! He dumped my ass and it hurt like hell. I'm not feeling sorry for any asshole who dumped me and apparently fucked around on me too."

Darrin nodded and then smiled at Josh. "Revenge is sometimes really sweet, isn't it?"

"Damn straight it is!" said Josh with a smile, "Karma's a bitch."