Maxie Reckless and the Kith #02

Story Info
Maxie is introduced to the mysterious Glade -- and her fate!
2.7k words
4.56
14.9k
6

Part 2 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 12/11/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RavynsLand
RavynsLand
105 Followers

"So there is a world of fairies--"

"Kith."

"--Kith, that have existed alongside humankind since the beginning of intelligent life." I exhale, arching a brow. The girl, Zin, had taken me into the little alcove I'd ignored earlier and set up a large lantern that she'd claimed not to need. Even the lantern itself was a work of beauty, composed of polished and twisted wood that closely resembled that ubiquitous roots growing in the underground complex. The alcove, it seemed, was a house of sorts -- well, if not a house, a sort of watchtower. Apparently Zin was a kind of sentry for the Kith, and it was her job to monitor outsiders and keep the secrets of this strange people safe. Not that it seems like she's being doing a very good job, since I got in pretty easily.

"More like... in spite in humankind. The Kith have been struggling to remain secretive and it's only our discovery of the Glade that kept us -- or at least, this particular sect of us -- from getting discovered and wiped out." Zin sits down casually at a small, lonely table, setting her feet (which I notice are also not-exactly-human) up on it. "And before you ask, yes, we tried to coexist centuries ago. It didn't go well."

I furrow my brow, moving to sit down in the chair opposite Zin but having a hard time of it -- it's not exactly built for someone my size, and even though I don't think I'm quite a foot taller than Zin, it's an awkward fit. "But if you've coexisted before, why haven't I heard of the Kith before? You'd think there'd be stories."

My little ixling, still currently unnamed, chirps peacefully and scurries easily along my body, seeming to explore me before finding a new place (along my upper back) to flop down and sleep. Zin's deep, alien eyes examine him briefly before turning back to me. "Have you ever heard of the 'Fair Folk'?"

"Hah! So you are fairies, and you admit it!" I hold up one finger triumphantly. Having done some rudimentary studies in Gaelic mythology during college I know a thing or two about the fae, so I can actually sink my teeth into this now.

Zin twists her deep maroon lips in a sort of grimace. "Not quite, outsider."

"My name's Maxie."

"You're an outsider until the elders decide what to do with you. And you're wrong -- the Fair Folk were based on encounters with the Kith, but between ignorance and superstition we were twisted into bizarre perversions of what we really are." Zin exhales, switching the placement of her legs and setting the right over the left now, heels still set on the tabletop casually. "After that, we started finding mystery places and guarding them, letting our own culture bloom without human influence. It's... better this way."

I nod slowly, trying to take things in. This is fucking weird as hell but it's kind of making sense. I mean, it's as plausibly well-guarded as the Harry Potter universe, or something like that. So in theory, her story does add up. "Out of curiosity, if you're trying so hard to guard all the secrets of the Kith, then why are you telling me all of this?"

Zin tilts her head to the side, her eyes widening in an expression of utter incredulity. "Wait... you don't think you're leaving the Glade, do you?"

"I had kind of been planning to."

"I hate to be the one who breaks it to you, outsider, but you're not leaving for a long time... if ever." Zin tenses up, then relaxes again. "I have to take you to the Eldest of the Faoikith, and see what she decides to do with you. I'll warn you now that it isn't likely to be anything good, but..." the small woman shakes her head. "Best of luck out there. Your ixling's going to be very distraught if you end up being killed."

Why did I see this coming? Doesn't seem like you can ever discover some hidden alien paradise without being beheaded for it, at least not in a Mature Audiences story. And considering the amount of times I've already said 'fuck' I have a feeling that this may not have a kid-friendly ending. My eyes instinctively turn to the dimly-lit entryway I just came through. I can see the light from the entrance, back into the forest... if I can get back to the car--

"Don't bother with that, outsider," Zin says with a sigh, standing up from the table. "You can't escape if I don't want you to."

"I don't suppose there's any chance of you changing your mind about wanting to."

"Not really, no."

It was worth a shot. I exhale slowly and stand up, as the black-haired fairy girl has now posed herself at the exit back to the main cave, and has picked up a staff of sorts that had been hanging on the wall. The staff is of the same implacably exotic make as most of the other crafted items I've seen, carved from some sort of polished white wood and decorated with ornate runic script that resembles a cross between the Norse alphabet and Tolkien's Elvish. "Come on, outsider. Who knows, maybe the eldest will take a liking to you, and you can be added to her harem as a... trophy. You are cute, for a human."

"And to think I was going to say you were cute for an alien fairy." I fold my arms and pout my lips, still standing by the table. "Until you said you were going to take me to be executed."

"It's nothing personal," the Kith girl says with a small, yet genuine frown. "And thanks. Maybe if you live we can get a drink sometime."

I shrug, then start following behind the lavender-skinned sprite with heavy footfalls: walking, supposedly, to my demise.

At least I have a nice view, though. As we go down through the massive tunnel that the ixling clutch had been hiding above, things get darker and darker (presumably to keep 'outsiders' away) before suddenly opening into a... well, opening. Things now become very, very different, and I realize what they've been trying so hard to preserve.

This section of "the Glade" is still underground (I think), but is well lit and ripe with vegetation. Phosphorescent mosses and fungi dot the walls and "ceilings" when not being used outright as light-sources in tall, hanging lanterns, lighting the place light a full moon. The floor is of a deep scarlet moss, serving as a lush carpet to walk on -- I also note, as I suddenly become exposed to a lot more of the Kith, that none of them wear shoes. I presume that they are unneeded.

Dark flowers and slim, soft vines crawl over everything, from pathways to buildings to fences and everything in between, making the place a subterranean paradise. Various Kith nod at me and Zin from time to time, with the grave look on their face that says 'Oh, I see you got another one.' It isn't a look I'm particularly happy with but I've more or less accepted what's about to happen, or at least that there's nothing I can do to stop it until I meet the Eldest, so I just observe for now -- drinking in an alien culture all in one gulp.

I notice that all of the Kith -- literally all of them -- seem to be visibly female, even if I'm proof that looks can be deceiving. There are also no distinctive classes, unless they are segregated in another manner; all of them seem to wear similar styles of clothing (providing leeway for basic individuality) and none of them wear visible jewelry. I notice a lot of skirts, a lot of pastel skin colors similar to Zin's pale purple, and a lot of dark hair colors (which some more radical shades thrown in -- possibly dyes). I also notice one more thing I hadn't entirely expected -- they're all, well, hot. Like, very hot. While I still consider my current companion to be a spectacular specimen, it appears she is only slightly-above-average in comparison to the other Kith. Astonishing.

My musing is brought to an abrupt halt when Zin stops, turning to face me with a heavy-hearted expression before directing my gaze to the building ahead of us. It's clearly the largest in the entire area (as far as my eye reaches, anyway), a massive overgrown dome that's lit up like a botanical Christmas tree. Bizarrely, what I can only describe as a deep violet halo encircles the rounded crown of the building, not attached by any visible means, nor serving any visible purpose. The majesty of the place almost overloads me -- I was willing to accept a mono-gendered race of sexy half-pint magical fairies who live in extraplanar subterranean cities that behead random passersby and, apparently, keep harems. I was willing to accept that. But this is just so... big, so majestic and so amazing that my mind starts having difficulty comprehending everything that's being forced into it. Kind of like spending a full night grinding for a test you didn't study for, the way your head just starts to... shut down.

"What is this place?" I whisper, my neck starting to hurt from looking up.

"The Citadel of the Faoikith, where our Eldest resides." Zin answers matter-of-factly.

I rub my temples, shielding my eyes briefly to readjust before looking back up at the massive structure. "Cool. Also, why do you keep saying 'Faoikith'? I thought you were called just the Kith."

"There are more than one sect of the Kith living within the Glade. The Faoikith -- in your tongue it'd be something like 'below-folk' -- are those of us that live underneath the surface of the earth. There are more of us; those living in the trees, by the lakes, and even in the sky. We all have different names."

Fuck, well. Just add more details onto this, why doncha. I sigh deeply and shake my head. "Alright then, let's get this show on the road. I haven't got all day."

"Yes you do," Zin said with a slightly questioning tone, as if unsure whether or not I actually had something I was waiting for.

"It's an expression," I sigh. "A, um, 'outsider' saying."

"It's silly." She states firmly.

I shrug as a pair of guards holding spears (so much for their 'developed culture') open the massive double doors for us, and Zin walks in confidently, using her staff as a walking stick. I take one glance back behind me, noting that there are Kith (ahem, 'Faoikith') dressed similarly to those guards dotted around the 'city' -- more sentries, I guess. Which would make running for it a pretty fucking dumb idea. I inhale and walk in behind Zin, preparing myself for the worst.

The inside of the Citadel becomes a blur of sorts, as I start retreating into my own mind. I find myself thinking about Dischord and the music we made, wondering how the band will do without me. They'll be fine, even though I'm confident Vicky will start layering in a pop influence to "gain a following". That's fine. Not like I'll be alive to see it.

"Oh, Lord, heaven knows, we belong way down below..." I hum quietly to myself as my train of thought shifts amidst the unending blur of ornate woodwork and crystalline structures, the warm sound of feet against wood bringing me no comfort, even though I can hear the source of the music I'd noticed earlier growing closer. I hadn't put a lot of thought into God or religion -- my parents had been converted Buddhists so, while enlightenment was encouraged, there was no real punishment for avoiding it. Then again, what if that wasn't the answer? What if it was all fire and brimstone down there? If it was, it was pretty obvious I'd be going down when the big elevator came for me. I'd hoped to not have to think about this so early in life, but I guess it's my fault for not being prepared.

"If it makes you feel better, outsider, I'll put in a good word for you. You've been pleasant so far." Zin says, trying to be helpful, though I don't really feel much better. I do suddenly notice, however, that Zin has stopped walking, and slowly lift my eyes from the floor to see what lies before me.

The Eldest, ironically, doesn't look particularly old, which raises some immediate questions about immortality and sort of pisses me off (immortal creatures should understand the importance of permanent death, dammit!). In fact, the Eldest is pretty hot, and also appears to be a little bit... bigger, than the other Kith (or at least the Faoikith). She's about my height and has long, flowing silver hair that spills across her shoulders, complementing the silver-blue gown she wears (presumably a royal(?) garment of sorts) that, in keeping with the Kith's seeming desire to keep skin showing, has a nice amount of midriff exposed. Her skin is a few shades lighter than Zin's but of a similar hue, and her face has a compassionate sternness, like a mother who's not afraid to dish out a whippin' for the greater good.

"Exhalted Eldest," Zin says quickly, dropping to one knee and holding her staff out in front of her.

"I see your exile did not last as long as intended, Zin. A shame." The Eldest says, straightening her back and sitting up straight within her little throne, a fabulous slab of gemstone shaped into the nearest semblance of something that can be sat on. "Who is this outsider you have brought?"

"So, in a row, they line up to die," I grumble, folding my arms.

"A girl, Eldest, who calls herself Maxie. She has given me no trouble, and has also bound with one of the ixlings. If I may, I suggest you use what lenience is still in your heart." Well I'll be damned, Zin actually did come through with that whole 'good word' thing, and was even really forthcoming about it. Mention of my new pet reminds me of him, and I bend my neck to the side, stretching it and causing the little fluffy guy to instinctively roll over, draping himself across my right shoulder. Cute fella, gonna miss him.

"Your suggestion means little, criminal," the Eldest snarls. "Now let the outsider introduce her own self."

"I suppose asking for a little courtesy would be out of the question," I grunt, only to receive a surreptitious elbow to the ribs from Zin. "Figured."

I straighten my back and put on my 'stage pose', setting one leg in front of me in an aggressive and confident stance, the kind I always used when Dischord was putting on a live show. "My name is Maxine--" I pause. Fuck being Maxine. "My name is Maxie Reckless. I graduated from Washington State University, co-founded the band Dischord -- which put out a silver record -- have no living relatives, and won a Seattle wine-drinking competition in 2012. Also, despite what Zin would have you believe, I'm only... sort of a girl."

"What do you mean, 'sort of'?" the Eldest tilts her head, narrowing her black eyes down at me. "Humans have only two genders, no more."

"My dick begs to differ," I say, reaching beneath my skirt and lewdly cupping my junk with one hand. Fuck it, if I'm gonna die I may as well have some fun with it.

The reaction, however, is not exactly what I was expecting (even though I wasn't entirely sure what it was I was expecting). The Eldest mumbles something to herself, and even Zin stares at me with wild eyes, glancing from my face to my skirt, then back to the Eldest. "Eldest... I'm sorry, I had no idea."

"Take her to the Interrogation Chamber immediately," the Eldest growls, seeming almost incensed that her plans have changed so dramatically. "Bring as many members of my harem as you want, but I demand you lead the investigation yourself. Confirm what she's saying... if her words are true...." She growls again and stands from her seat, grumbling to herself frantically but not fully finishing her sentence. "Don't be too long."

Zin nods and turns to me, raising herself from her kneeling position and taking my hand firmly. "Alright, outsider -- it looks like we're about to get pretty close."

RavynsLand
RavynsLand
105 Followers