Maxine's New Life Ch. 12

Story Info
Just being Maxine.
34.1k words
5.8k
0
1

Part 12 of the 17 part series

Updated 10/09/2022
Created 10/23/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I awoke Monday in a strange bed. I also awoke to the smell of bacon and coffee. Eggs don't seem to have an odor, unless they have gone bad. I expected to see Moseby in the kitchen, possibly dressed as a glamorous June Cleaver but alas the kitchen was empty. Well empty of humans anyway, I found coffee in the carafe of the coffee maker. It was also still turned on. I found a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on a bagel. It was inside of a plastic container with detailed reheating instructions.

The note under the container advised me to enjoy, but reminded me to turn off the coffee pot before I left. Since the smell of bacon and coffee lingered, I obviously had missed Moseby by not more than a few minutes.

After the bagel and coffee, I drove to the office. Marty's pros were waiting for me. "Good Morning Maxine," Gwen said.

"Good morning Gwen, did you enjoy my date." I knew Gwen would be filming everything possible. Since I wore a wire most of the evening, I shared the guilt in the invasion of Moseby's privacy. However the invasion did not include anything that happened inside her apartment. I drew the line on that. I didn't mind a bit of reality but I drew the line at porn.

"Actually the date was fun. I even enjoyed the Island. I didn't expect to, but it was great fun." Gwen said to me.

"Then you are a good sport. Most people are so hung up on sexual issues, they can't just relax and let it be what it is. One doesn't have to participate to have fun." I paused looked at her hard then asked, "so did you participate?"

"Of course not I was working, but it was still amusing." she said. "By the way, I'm going to have to get a release from your friend. Do you think I will have any trouble?"

"I have no idea. Just ask and see what she says."

"Don't suppose you would ask for me?"

"Not a chance," I replied.

"That's pretty much what I expected." Gwen wasn't at all upset. "By the way, you two were cute last night."

"Right, not so young love in action," I said sarcastically. I finally took a minute to look around. "Where is Ed?" I asked.

"I haven't seen him," Lucas replied. "It's not like Ed to be late."

I picked up my phone and did a speed dial for Ed's doctor son Jeff. "Hey Jeff, it's me Maxine. I'm looking for your dad. It isn't like him to be this late." I was beginning to worry when Ed came through the door. "Never mind he just walked in."

Ed walked to my desk, then said, "I hope you feel better than you look, because you look like hell.

"Good morning to you too," I said smiling, "Where have you been, you are never late."

"One of my wayward customers got himself locked up early this morning. I have been with your friend Jen playing advocate."

"What is Jen doing bailing out a drunk?" I asked.

"Not a drunk but someone on prescription drugs." Ed said. He walked to his own desk then added, "Too bad the Reverend's place isn't open yet. If it were we could keep it all in the family, so to speak." It was obvious, at least to me, that he knew about me and the Reverend, and then Jen and the Reverend as well.

"From your lips to the ear of God," I said as Ed walked to his desk. When he sat down, I noticed that he had stopped for fancy coffee from McDonalds.

My thoughts switched from Eds tardiness to Moseby again. I was determined to just enjoy Moseby. I promised myself that I would not run a background check on her. With some difficulty I ignored Lucas sitting at the computer. He looked as though he was dying to run her. Maybe I was wrong, maybe she was what she appeared to be. Maybe I really could find someone who was beautiful and who loved me. Sure it wouldn't be the first attractive person to love me, but she would be the first in a long time.

I also tended to go to men for a real relationship. Women were usually a luxury item for me. The staple was men, pure and simple. Still she was gorgeous and so willing. Maybe the so willing was the reason I felt she might be too good to be true. I looked up at the computer screen and it was taunting me. I resisted, even though it was difficult.

"So Lucas let's get the day scheduled. What do we have on hand?" I asked.

"We have three papers that can be served anytime, and we have Louis Tremount."

"Oh is Mr Tremount one of the bail bond community's lost souls?" I asked it mocking Ed just a little. To me and Lucas, they were mooches plain and simple. To Ed they were just wayward children who needed help finding their way home. Obviously he never had one of the wayward children try to hit him with a baseball bat."

"Oh Mr. Tremount has a bounty on his head of $2k. His mother would rather we pick him up than the thug from Tryon. She gave us his new job address."

"Are you sure it's that, or was it you convincing her that he house was about to be lost?" I asked.

"Not a car, believe it or not she put up her dead husband's annuity for the bail." Her miserable son skipped, leaving her with a bleak retirement future. That is unless some kind and gentle bounty hunter shows her son the error of his ways." I should have been worried about Lucas, since he was beginning to sound like Ed. I would have been, except that I knew it was just for Gwen and the camera.

So where is Good Boy Lou?

"Do you remember where you bought the cruiser?" Lucas asked.

"Of course I do," I replied.

"Mom says Lucas it a driver there."

"This should be fun. Call Jen have her get me something official looking to flash at the manager to get his cooperation. They aren't very cooperative there."

Jen's paralegal did the typing for us. Jen was busy in court. "It's no problem at all Ms. Stone. The Boss gave me blanket authorization to do anything you need, unless it is obviously against the law."

"That's nice to know Lucille. You never know when I might need an exotic dancer." I said smiling at the fifty pound overweight Lucille, she smiled back. Hers was a noncommittal smile, mine wasn't. Mine was a pure predator's flirty smile. Moseby had me all full of myself. Even Lucille looked good to me that morning.

Two hours later we were standing in one of many lines of automobiles waiting to go to the auction block. Louis Tremount drove up in a two year old Ford. "Do not look at him when he drives up." I advised Lucas, "All these cars have keys in them. I do not want to try to stop him as he drives off in a car." I said to Lucas. The Line captain called Louis over while we stood nearby checking out an Impala. As Louis walked by, I moved quickly behind him and said, "Don't make me tazer you"

"What the hell?" he asked.

"You missed your court date, I came to give you a ride." I held the tazer close at hand while Lucas put the plastic tie around his hands as quickly as he could. Even with his hands cuffed Louis decided to make a run for it.

"He's all your cowboy," I said to Lucas, who gave chase. I strolled leisurely behind them. I knew that the whole lot was fenced. I just couldn't imagine Louis being successful at climbing that chain link fence with his hands tied behind him. Lucas tackled him near a road that connected a smaller parking lot with the one where we found him.

When I walked up Louis was still struggling. "You might want to move away Lucas. I'm about to spray pepper in his eyes and zap him in his balls." Louis immediately went docile.

"No, no I give up." he said.

"Oh hell it's up to Lucas, he is the one who had to chase you. Do I zap him in the balls at least?"

"Tell you what boss. If he so much as looks at me wrong, you can do it. Louis I got to tell you, she is Lez and hates men. I would be cool were I you."

I had quickly gotten used to Mike and Gwen hanging around. I hadn't even noticed Mike and his camera. During the chase he walked behind me shooting Lucas running after Louis Tremount.

We dropped Louis at the county jail in Tryon. "Do you have any papers for Tryon with you? I asked.

"Yes and I had a message on the phone this morning to stop by one of our clients office for another one. It will probably be here as well."

"The day is young. Maybe we can get you some more exercise." I said laughing.

"Thanks Maxine, I notice that these days I do all the running." he said it for the camera again.

"It's all part of the apprentice program. Check the instruction book."

When five o'clock came, I called ahead, then went by the pizza and pasta pit for a takeout order. I adore cold pizza right from the frig. I was trying to keep my weight down, so it was a small plain cheese pizza and a house salad with diet dressing on the side.

My mouth still hurt, so I broke the salad into small pieces with my fingers. I didn't really want to do a lot of chewing for a while. By the time the pizza got cold enough to eat, it was 7 PM.

"Hello," I said into the phone to stop the stupid song from playing. Fucking ring tone was driving me mad.

"Hi Maxine it's me Moseby."

"Well hello there girl," I said cheerfully.

"You going to come over tonight?" she asked as if it were some kind of obligation that I had missed.

"No hon, I am really tired tonight. How about a rain check?"

"Sure, but it is only good for tomorrow night." She did sound disappointed.

"Fair enough. How about we plan to meet at the Cop Out. You can meet my friends such as they are." I said it jokingly.

"Fair enough, I really do want to meet them."

"Moseby, you are not from here, how long have you lived here?"

"I moved here last month."

"Oh, where did you live last. I really do want to know everything about you." I said trying to sound like a new lover.

"I came from Charlestown. Before you ask, yes I was married. I left him and Charlestown at the same time."

"I see, and how do you like our little town?" I asked.

"I loved it from the minute I drove in, and I love it even more now because you are here."

"Oh how sweet." I said. I paused a long time then asked, "So what did you do there? Besides being married I mean."

"I worked in a restaurant as a hostess. When I came here, I couldn't find a job. The manager at one of the restaurants, where I applied, suggested that I try catering. I quickly found that Helen was the best, so I asked her to teach me."

"Well you found a great lady to learn from. Helen is the hardest worker I ever met." I replied.

It all sounded perfectly reasonable, and also too well rehearsed. It was like she planned to tell that story, and had just been waiting for the opportunity to get it over with. I had all kinds of buzzers going off in my head. Yes, I could be paranoid or I could be under attack.

On the other side of the coin, if she were going to murder me, I should already be dead. I did fall asleep in her bed last night. I really needed to know her game. I didn't want anyone, not even Lucas, to know that I was checking her out. In the back of my mind I remember an old saying from my days in the the sandbox.

'Knowing something is good, but it's even better, if no one else knows that you know it.' In the sandbox that kind of Intel sent a predator missile into a Taliban rat hole, while the rats were still home.

Since it wasn't too awfully late, I got on the phone to Gwen. "I'm going to the Cop Out for a beer. If you want to spend another boring night there, meet me."

I quickly got in the cruiser and took off for the club. I found Jerry first thing and cornered him. "Let's dance big boy," I said pulling him onto the dance floor. I held him close, then whispered into his ear. "I'm wired. so listen carefully. I think I am being setup, but I'm not sure. I need you to do a cop thing for me."

"What do you need?" he whispered.

"When you next see a pretty blond girl driving Helen's catering van, pull her over and get me her name off the driver's license and the number." I demanded.

"I saw her driving it the last couple of days. I wondered who she was myself." Jerry admitted.

"You get me the name and her license number and I'll share any info with you," I said.

"Done," he said in agreement.

"Now I'm whipped, I need to get home and to bed. So brace yourself. This is where I do my acting part for the wire." He nodded. I spoke in a voice not quite as loud as a shout, but one people would remember for a while. "No Jerry I will not give you a blow job in the parking lot. I still have open cuts in my mouth." I walked away pretending to be angry.

"Men," I said as I picked up my sweater from the back of a chair at his table. I drove home right proud of myself.

During the day Tuesday I got a call from Jerry. When I saw his caller ID, I answered it without the speaker. He gave me a name and driver's license number for my new girlfriend. It seemed that Moseby wasn't Moseby at all. Moseby was actually Elizabeth Ann Montique. She was also not of Charlestown, she was most recently from Atlanta. At least that is what her driver's license said. Then from her facebook account, I found that she was an aspiring actress. You couldn't be an actress without being on facebook it seemed.

"Marty you sly dog," I said quietly aloud. Marty knew most of the time my life was boring as hell. The Pros could shoot fifty hours of tape to get fifteen minutes of entertainment from my real life. It looked as though ole Marty had decided to better his odds and lessen the risks to his investment return. He had Jen sending me interesting jobs and Moseby to keep me busy after work.

So the question became what to do about Beth Ann? It was like she said, it wasn't some sinister plot, it was still just harmless make believe at that point. Harmless only because I found out before I got too deeply involved. If I had fallen in love with her and then found out, I would have been some kind of pissed at all those involved. As it was, I could either throw her beautiful ass out of my life, or string her along.

Since my love life wasn't exactly standing room only, I decided that I would play along for a while at least. Even though it was make believe, it was till part of my life. They might be fudging a bit, but my reactions to their bullshit would be real enough. Hey, that's entertainment my friends. Most of the reality shows actually create most of the drama you see. I hope we all know that shit ain't real.

I didn't even bother to run her cell phone record. It would for sure be a burn phone. Marty was smart, he might even be waiting for me to discover his little plot. Even that would be high drama. There just was no downside for him. You had to love a pure businessman.

"Guess what?" Lucas said as he approached my desk.

"What?" I asked in return.

"I'm getting a bike like yours."

"How so?" I asked.

"Reverend Archer is building me one. He did build yours didn't he?"

"Not exactly, he installed the motor kit on it, but I had that made."

"Well he said he was an authorized dealer for the kit. He said he could hook me up with a really nice used bike as well."

"So what is the bike and kit going to cost?"

"He is giving me a discount because I work for you." Lucas informed me proudly.

"Oh I just bet he is. So how much?" I asked.

"Three hundred," he said. "That's a hundred off the retail."

"Well that is a reasonable deal. It isn't worth more though. I don't think he can get more than three fifty for it even on a brand new bike. You can get a kit with motor and drive for about two hundred on Ebay and another hundred for a new bike at Wallymart and you are set to go."

"The difference is those Ebay kits are not easily removable. So you would need a secure place to store the bike. With my kit, I just undo one quick release and one wing nut and take the whole thing off the bike. With that system I can chain the bike outside on you patio or something, and just lock the motor in the storage room. If you lose the wing nut it is a standard Home Depot Item. I can just drive down there for a replacement. It is a very efficient system. Even better is t that with the motor removed, it will fit easily on the bike rack on either of our vehicles."

"I know mine is just like that. Reverend Archer said it came from the same builder as yours. He is going to install a removable trunk rack on the Hyundai for me free. "

"Well then you did get a good deal. Mine was custom made, so the builder is a craftsman not some guy in flip flops."

"Can I store it in the lock room?' he asked.

"It's Ed's building, not mine. I'm sure it will be okay, but ask him."

After the consult with Ed, Lucas came back to my desk. "Do you want me to lay out the work on hand. You know, we didn't finish yesterday's work?"

"Yes so the layout, I didn't get around to it yet. I have been surfing the web this morning."

"Anything interesting?" he asked.

"There is turmoil in the Middle-East. That's about all, so nothing new or particularly interesting in that." I replied. Any day I was asked about the news, I could have given the same answer. There was alway turmoil in the Middle-East.

Gwen and Mike had quickly become fixtures. I hardly noticed them, but they were in the back of my mind, sort of like a coat rack. Until you needed it, you never gave it any thought, but you just knew that it was available when you did needed it. You also knew that you had to step around it now and then.

It was after ten before we were ready to head out for the day. In addition to the two papers to be served in Aster, we had one pickup before moving on to Tryon. Mike was the designated hitter for the day. Gwen was in the bullpen in case Lucas and I split up. While she was not with us, Mike had her doing more background shots, and more interviews. I was pretty sure she would be interviewing Moseby. Since I had dated her on Sunday, she would be high on the interest radar. How much Gwen and Mike knew was a mystery at the moment.

"Lucas, how is your love life these days?" I asked when were in the care and headed for our first stop. I did it just to put a wrench in the works. He would someday have to explain that he was fucking one of the shows creators. I loved the thought of that one.

"It's fine," He replied. "Nothing serious going on but I do date now and then." He had obviously been prepared for the question. It was also clear that Gwen or Mike had written his answer.

"That's nice," I replied as the van pulled into the convenience store where our absent father worked. He was behind in his child support and the court wanted his ass to stand in front of the bar. He had missed his last court date, so the judge wanted him impressed with how serious the court was about his obligations. The next step would be an arrest warrant. That was clearly stated in the court order we were to deliver.

I wore my Lightning express delivery lady jacket into the store. "You ah," I looked down at the envelop on my clipboard. "Roger, sorry I can't pronounce the last name."

"Hasbabie. yes that is me." he replied.

"Got a package for you. Sign here," I said it pushing the clipboard to him, but not the envelop.

"Who is it from?" he asked as he signed.

I had the clipboard in my hand again when I said, "The Superior Court clerk, have a good day." I walked from the store smiling. That gag worked almost every time.

It was time for lunch after we picked up and served the third paper of the day. "Wanna go to the lake for lunch?" I asked.

"Sure, it's a little chilly, but we can eat in the car," Lucas said in agreement. He didn't dare ask Gwen. The rule was that she wasn't really in the car. We had always allowed her to order food at the drive thru window, otherwise we acted as though she wasn't there at all.

"How about brown bags from Helen's?" I asked.

"You got her on speed dial, don't you?" Lucas asked smiling.

"Yes Lucas I had her on speed dial before Moseby as well. I also have Moseby on speed dial and she is driving the truck today." I replied. "I think that truck is pretty popular. We will have to go to her, I'm sure."

123456...9