Maya's Mission Ch. 03

Story Info
Mika meets an intriguing new colleague.
6.1k words
3.07
11.6k
0

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 10/08/2022
Created 05/01/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 3 -- Still Waters Run Deep

Monday morning came quickly as it always did. Mika reached blindly for the snooze button on the alarm that was chirping from the nightstand. After a couple of errant smacks she hit pay dirt and the alarm quieted. She hadn't heard Jay leave for work but knew he was gone. He always left earlier than she did. On the rare occasion that she was awake before he left she'd hear him whistling while he sipped at his coffee and took in the morning news. It was blessedly quiet right now affording her a few extra minutes of peace before she had to get moving.

She rolled over and turned the alarm off once it began to sound again. Her feet were dragging as she made her way toward the bathroom. After turning on the shower she headed towards the large walk-in closet to pick out her wardrobe for the day. She settled on a sage colored business suit with a pencil style skirt that hit just above the knee showing off her toned legs. Pulling out a champagne colored blouse to pair with the suit she laid them both across the bed.

Mika stepped into the steamy bathroom and climbed into the shower. She loved this bathroom. Ok, she loved the whole house. But the bath had won her heart the first time she set foot into it. It was spacious, and designed in earth tones colors of sand, coral, and rich browns. The cream colored marble had golden streaks running through it and the large, oval shaped mirror and subtle lighting created a tranquil and serene environment. The tub was sunken and had enough room for two comfortably. She remembered how excited they had been to be moving into their very own home. They'd eaten raspberries and drunk champagne while taking a bubble bath in the huge tub their first night in residence. They had turned on the aero-jets and giggled while savoring the bliss of the whirlpool effect. And as the water had grown cold they'd grown hot for each other. They'd made love in the tub like a couple of eager teenagers just learning what sex was all about. She laughed now at the memory and how silly and happy they had been. They had been young and eager to begin their lives together in earnest. They had planned vacations and tossed around names for their future children. She sighed as she lathered her body with sweetly scented suds.

A few short years later and she was over-joyed that she actually had sex anymore. Not for lack of want or trying she thought bitterly. No, that wasn't fair. She couldn't assign all the blame to him. She recalled a time when Jay had been the one who was gunning for her and she had left him wanting, either by going to bed early after a full day or simply not being in the mood. It seemed like it was so long ago. She guessed she was going to have to do something about that. After Saturday night, there was no way she was going to settle for cool sheets anymore. Mika tipped her had back and let the spray of water pelt her. ***

Forty-five minutes later she was backing out of the garage and headed for downtown Omaha. As the morning show dee-jay commentary tittered in through the Bose speakers of her Infiniti she ran through her agenda for the day. She had emails to go through, responses to make. A meeting with Brad from Finance was scheduled for 10. She expected that would take a full hour. Considering it was a budget meeting and everything was on track they could be done in half the time. However, Brad was a talker and a flirt. Put him in a room with a woman, correction...an attractive woman and Brad turned on the charm. She couldn't fault him for it. He was good-looking and charismatic, and knew it. Yes, the meeting would take the full hour she thought. After that she had some phone calls that could be made before she met up for a lunch meeting with Sherri, Donna, and Maxine. The rest of her day should proceed unexceptionally.

Pulling into the parking garage she lifted a hand in a wave to Bob. Bob had been with ESM for nearly twenty years. He knew the comings and goings of just about everybody there and Mika had always respected him.

"How are those grandbabies Bob?" Mika asked lowering her window, the frosty air seeping in.

"How can they be anything but fantastic they way Trudy spoils 'em?" His gray eyes sparkled as he spoke.

"Oh you know Trudy isn't the only one who spoils those boys." She laughed inching forward. "Have a good day Bob and give Trudy and the boys a kiss for me."

"You know I will." He said with a grin.

Finding a space near the bank of elevators Mika parked and hurried across and into the building. Normally she took the stairs up to her third floor office. Today she opted for the elevator being that it was bitterly cold out. She stepped into the elevator as soon as it opened. Turning she saw a man she didn't recognize walking briskly toward the building entrance. She could tell he had an athletic build underneath the overcoat he wore but hadn't bothered to button. His shoulders were wide set and he had an air of confidence about him as he walked. He raised his arm as if to signal her to hold the elevator. Sorry buddy, she thought as she feigned fumbling with her purse and the buttons at the same time. Not her fault he was running late she thought. He picked up his pace and was just in time to see Mika mouth "Sorry" as the doors whispered closed.

Getting off on her floor Mika exchanged hello's with her co-workers as she made her way to her office. Once inside she immediately turned on the portable heater she kept on the floor under her desk. She took off the eggshell colored trench coat she wore, hanging it on the hook behind her door. She hit the power button on her desktop and grabbed her coffee mug heading for the employee lounge.

The morning got underway and Mika polished off her second cup of coffee as she made her way to the sixth floor conference room where her meeting with Brad was scheduled. She was the first to arrive and set about connecting her laptop.

Whoo-whooooo.

Her head popped up in response to the cat call whistle. Brad stood at the door, an appreciate look on his face. "You are shameless!" she said enjoying the familiar banter. It wasn't until Brad moved further into the room that she saw he wasn't alone. Her face registered shock followed by embarrassment as she recognized the man from the elevator this morning. Shit! Who is he and what's he doing here? Quickly masking her discomfort she met his eyes giving him a polite smile. Please don't recognize me she chanted in her head. Please God, don't let him be a new vp or something like that.

Mr. Elevator quirked a brow. "You look somewhat familiar, have we met before?" His eyes were deceptively blank.

Double shit! So much for not recognizing her. Never let 'em see you sweat right? She opted for cool and aloof.

"No, I don't believe we have. Mika Peeples." Fixing a cool yet professional smile on her face she extended her right hand.

"Marcus Waters." He said taking her proffered hand. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance Mrs. Peeples." He said as he glanced down at the sparkling diamond on her third finger of her left hand. "Although, I'm sure I've seen you around before."

She groaned inwardly sliding into a chair.

"Call me Mika, please." And not the rude bitch from the elevator.

"Marcus is a consultant brought on to assist with several projects." Brad explained taking a seat at the conference table. Following his lead Marcus took the seat directly opposite Mika giving her a chance to study him.

He was attractive, not in a Hollywood leading actor way though. His brown skin was even and clear. The color of strong coffee with a dollop of cream stirred in she thought. He was tall, she'd put him at just over six feet. His hair was cut low and his eyes were dark and piercing. He was clean shaven and had dimples that were quick to appear when he spoke. He exuded pure, male magnetism. There was an air of mystery about him. He deld an intrigue that drew one in without any effort on his part to do so. She knew without a doubt that he was all man.

He glanced up, catching her starting at him. She cleared her throat and looked to Brad waiting for him to begin. Realizing she hadn't been paying attention she opened the portfolio that he'd placed in front of her.

"Mika is responsible for the online client marketing here at ESM." Brad explained. "She's developed several ads that will be presented to the VP's at next month's campaign meeting."

"Mika if you'll be so kind as to forward the Brinkman ads to Marcus by week's end he'll have a chance to review them before they go in front of the board."

Mika's brow furrowed in confusion. Since when did her proposals need approval? "Is this a change in protocol?" She shot a quizzical look Brad's way.

"It's part of the "Go-Green" campaign ESM is promoting." Brad lamented. "No insult to your work, just part of the process."

"I'm in the company email directory already. We can set up a meeting to go over a few things." Marcus said looking at her.

"Fine with me." She clipped.

The rest of the meeting proceeded uneventfully. Besides his cat call at the beginning of the meeting Brad was on his best behavior. She attributed that to his attempt to remain professional in front of Mr. Elevator.

By the time the lunch hour rolled around Mika was making significant headway in the tasks assigned to her. She grabbed the tuna sandwich she had stowed in the small fridge in her office and headed for the employee lounge where she would meet up with her friends.

As she entered, she found that her three friends had already staked a table and were animatedly chatting. Pulling out a chair she plopped down.

"Rumor has it he's unattached." Donna said her green eyes shining brightly.

"What do you know about the new guy?" Sherri turned to Mika. "Have you heard anything?"

"What new guy are we talking about?"

Sherri was the gossip of their circle. If Sherri didn't know about it, it was unlikely any of the rest of them knew. The girl was like a blood hound when it came to office gossip and other people's personal business.

"What do you mean what new guy? Marcus Waters of course, the only new guy worth mentioning!" Sherri puffed. "Have you seen him?! Ooh, honey, if you haven't you're wasting valuable time."

"I have to co-sign this loan." Max added. "We all know Sherri exaggerates when it comes to the opposite sex but this time she's spot on." Max said to Mika.

"He's alright." Mika said with a shrug taking a bite of her sandwich.

Sherri's head snapped back toward her. "What do you mean he's alright?!" "You must not have gotten a clear look." She said indignantly.

"No, I got more than a clear look. I got a close up "over the conference room table" look at him." Mika mumbled over another bite.

"What?" Sherri and Donna said simultaneously.

Max merely raised an eyebrow as she munched on a celery stick. Max always ate health conscious meals although Mika thought her friend could afford to splurge a little considering her tall, lanky frame. She had the look of an Egyptian goddess. Flawless skin, high cheekbones and full lips complimented the look.

" He's a consultant on Brad's team. I had a meeting with them this morning." She didn't tell them of her first run in with him at the elevator, although she wasn't sure why not.

"And???" Donna asked her honey brown curls bounced as she spoke.

Donna was in her mid-twenties and had recently broken up with her boyfriend of several years. Or more accurately he had broken up with her. For the past three months she'd been in a funk hoping Sean would leave the woman he'd taken up with and come back to her. Mika was glad he hadn't, Donna was better off without him as far as she was concerned. He was a no-good user who treated her like crap and she deserved better. Donna showing interest in someone other than Sean might mean there was hope for the girl after all.

"Like I said, he's alright." Lifting a shoulder Mika sipped on a bottle of spring water.

"It wouldn't matter if he was single, he'd never go for someone like me." Donna lamented

The other three women at the table rolled their eyes in unison.

This was regular fodder for Donna. She was quick to put herself down. She'd been with Sean since they were in high school and he'd constantly cheated on her. She believed that "a man was going to be a man" and it was natural for him to seek the company of other women. Her self-esteem was long gone and didn't seem to be making its way back either.

"All I know is that I have to send my ads to him for "review" before presentation." Mika said bitterly.

She explained what Brad had told her about the company using him as part of their going "green" campaign.

"And how the hell is his reviewing well-done work part of going green?" Max snorted, her Jamaican accent coming out. "Is he going to do the recycling around here as well?"

"Supposedly it will eliminate extra resources being used in the long run." Mika said derisively.

"Well, he can review my work any time he wants." Sherri said suggestively making them giggle.

When Mika got back to her desk she had an email in her inbox from the lunch time topic of conversation.

From: Marcus Waters To: Mika Peeples Subject: One-on-One Time: 12:41 pm MST

Mika,

I'd like to meet with you sometime this week. We'll be working closely together for the next several months and I think it would be optimal for us to develop a good working relationship. When are you available?

Marcus Waters Consultant Economic Solutions Marketing, Inc.

One-on-one huh? She imagined most women hearing him talk of one-on-ones had a totally different thought run through their heads.

From: Mika Peeples To: Marcus Waters Subject: RE: One-on-One Time: 1:24 pm MST

I look forward to collaborating with you as I'm sure you have innovative ideas that can be implemented for ESM success. My schedule is fairly light this week. I can pencil you in tomorrow afternoon. 2:00 work?

Regards,

Mika Peeples Client Affairs ESM, Inc.

She picked up her phone to check her voice mail and heard the ping of an incoming email message. She was surprised to see Mr. Elevator had responded so quickly.

From: Marcus Waters To: Mika Peeples Subject: RE: One-on-One Time: 1:27 pm MST

2:00 is fine, although I'd prefer ink. My office is on five. Please bring the portfolio you're keeping on Brinkman and we'll review.

P.S. Nice ring.

Marcus Waters Consultant Economic Solutions Marketing, Inc.

Nice ring? Mika re-read the email. Her brow furrowed. What was that supposed to mean? The only ring she was wearing was her wedding ring. She looked down at it. The 2 carat square cut diamond gleamed back at her. Clearly he knew she was married because he'd called her Mrs. at their introduction. So, what did he mean by nice ring? Maybe she was reading more into the statement than was actually there.

From: Mika Peeples To: Marcus Waters Subject: RE: One-on-One Time: 1:30 pm MST

Fine, ink it is.

P.S. - Thank you.

Regards,

Mika Peeples Client Affairs ESM, Inc.

Mika stewed over the email the rest of the day. Sure, he was attractive. What red-blooded woman with a heartbeat couldn't appreciate a good-looking man? But that was it, nothing more. Donna and Sherri's enthusiasm about the man had gotten to her that was all. The man had simply complimented her ring. Her wedding ring no less. Sheesh. She was over-thinking this. Hell, she ought to be glad he's saying anything kind to her after she'd basically left him out in the cold.

Mika headed home feeling better and looking forward to a good meal and hopefully a repeat of Saturday night when she got home.

Mika kicked off the heels she wore upon entering her home. Jay wasn't home yet as evidenced by his missing car in the garage. She went to the kitchen and took out a packet of chicken breasts and set about cleaning them. While the chicken soaked she went to the bedroom disrobing on the way. She put the suit she wore in the basket designated for dry cleaning. She breathed a sigh of relief as she slid out of her bra. Stretching her arms she relished the feel of her breasts jiggling free. She slid the silky beige thong down her thighs and kicked it off. She pulled a tank top out of the bureau along with a pair of bike shorts and slipped them on.

She was in the middle of slicing the chicken into chunks when a text message came through from Jay.

From: Jay Gonna stop by the gym on the way home and hit the weights. Be home by 7.

To: Jay Ok, baby. I'm putting together a stir-fry for dinner. Hope you're hungry.

Her lips curved at the double entendre. Her appetite had been whetted and she was ready to kick her sex life back into drive.

From: Jay Yeah babe, I could eat a horse. See you soon.

What?!? Mika scowled. That wasn't the answer she was looking for. She remembered the days when dinner would be left half-cooked on the stove because he would come in and ravish her while she was in the middle of making a meal. Now he didn't even pick up on her suggestive messages. Either that or he evaded answering by playing dumb. She preferred to think it was the former.

She bet Mr. Elevator wouldn't mistake her meaning. Whoa! Where did that come from? Why would he pop into her head? She added vegetables to the wok containing the chicken she'd cooked. She had Donna and Sherri to thank for this wayward thought. She'd give them a finger wagging tomorrow she decided and finished with the stir-fry putting Marcus Waters out of her mind.

True to his word, Jay arrived home a few minutes after 7.

"Ewww, you're sweaty." Mika wrinked her nose good-naturedly leaning in for a kiss.

"Haha, you weren't worried about that the other night." He laughed dropping his gym bag.

"Dinner will be ready when you get out of the shower." Mika said pointing.

"I'm going, I'm going." He laughed as he walked away.

They'd polished off the stir-fry and talked about their days. Mika was stretched out on one end of the couch, Jay on the other. Sitting up, she crawled over in between her husband's legs. "I'm going to get ready for bed now." She said looking at him seductively walking her fingers up his thigh.

"Ok babe, I'm right behind you." He said focused on the basketball game on the screen. Turning his head he gave her a light peck on her cheek.

She unfolded herself deliberately letting her breasts rest for a second longer than necessary on his thigh as she got up. She knew her nipples were poking through the thin cotton of the tank top she wore.

Mika took a quick shower and wrote in the journal she'd kept since she was young while she waited for Jay to come to bed. It was shortly before eleven when she nodded off in the bed alone.

Mika spent Tuesday morning compiling the ads she'd created for Brinkman and her notes for her meeting with Mr. Elevator.

While she'd planned on giving her friends a hard time for talking up the new Marcus Waters she ended up eating her paltry lunch of canned fruit and string cheese at her desk. She wasn't sure how long the meeting would take and she wanted to answer all of her messages beforehand.

At exactly 1:50 Mika gathered up her portfolio and tablet and headed for the stairs. Once on the fifth floor she headed for Finance. She figured if he was working with Brad then his office would be close by. Sure enough two doors down she found him. He was leaning back in his chair, the phone cradled between his ear and shoulder.

"No, that's not going to work. We need a written response in the next 72 hours."

He motioned for her to come in, pointing at the vacant chairs on the opposite side of the desk.

"That's fine Adrienne. Just let them know that 72 hours is my maximum. "

He held up his index finger to indicate he'd be done shortly.

She looked around the office avoiding his gaze. It was always awkward, she thought, listening to a one-sided phone conversation. Even more so when the person you were listening to was looking at you with a steady, unnerving gaze.

12