Midas: Retouched

Story Info
He learns about the sin of Greed the hard way.
1.3k words
3.89
7.1k
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He had everything he could have ever wanted. There were nubile young women surrounding him as he counted cash on the counter. Then suddenly everything seemed to fall apart. There was the blare of police sirens, and everyone fled. Even the money grew legs and fled.

Money growing legs? He thought to himself, how is that possible. He pondered the idea for a moment before everything faded to black, except that pounding noise, that siren.

Millan woke up with a curse on his lips and he violently hit the alarm clock to make it stop going off. He rubbed his hands over his face in an attempt to come back to the real world.

He swing his feet over the edge of the bed and looked at his apartment in disgust. It was small and sparsely furnished, he had always lived just above the poverty line and things had always been hard.

In his bedroom was a bed in the middle of the room, left there after an attempt to make his apartment feng-shui style, a desk and a bookshelf. The bookshelf was covered in self-help books, all of which pertained to becoming a millionaire. He even had some of those real estate scheme books, magazines, and videos strewn around the living room, and trialing into the bedroom.

He walked into the bathroom to shave and get ready for another day of scheming for money... any money... hopefully enough money to pay off his rent that was two weeks overdue. He had always refused to get a job, even as a teenager he had never worked at a library of burger joint. He hated the idea of real work and instead had been hatching money schemes since he was thirteen.

They had started simple enough, con the parents out of money for grades he never deserved. Sometimes he would force other people into doing the work, and other times he simply grabbed a red pen and changed the grade himself. It had worked pretty well until they started mailing printed report cards when he was in high school. That had taken some different ingenuity. In the end, he found, sleeping with the female teachers and blackmailing the male ones worked out perfectly.

After he had graduated high school he had to really find some form of money without having to work for it. He had spent his graduation presents on all these self-help and make money now books. He had made enough money on those schemes, he supposed, but he was barely making ends meet now.

That thought brought him back to reality. He quickly got dressed and turned on his laptop, another graduation present, and waited while it started up.

If only that dream had been real, he mused as he pulled up his email through the web-browser. He checked through his emails seeing who had replied to the spam he had sent out the day before on some kind of new medicine. As he browsed through the emails he came to one that appeared to be personal.

Personal, Addressed to his email? That had to be a mistake. He had no friends, no acquaintances, hell, he thought, even his family didn't talk to him anymore. They had called him many things before they disowned him, freeloader and scumbag being among the nicest. But this wasn't an email from any of his family members, and if it was, it certainly wasn't one he recognized.

Out of curiosity more than anything he opened the untitled email. It read simply, what would you do if granted one wish? He smirked. He knew a scam email when he saw one. What would he do with one wish indeed?

Deciding to go ahead and answer the email anyway, he hit respond and typed in; I would wish that everything I touched turned into gold. There, that was a good wish, he thought. Hitting the send button he sat down and went about his work.

A woman with long blue hair looked into her computer waiting for the response she knew would come. Sure enough her mail beeped at her a moment later. She smiled as she saw what she knew she would see: I would wish that everything I touched turned to gold. It was a good wish, with many loopholes. She cleared her mind and with a power only one of her kind could possess she intoned:

All that glitters is not gold,

This is something you will behold,

When your world becomes bleak and cold.

But since this wish you asked of me,

By earth, wind, fire, and the sea,

What you wish shall come to be.

She decided it would be interesting to watch his wish unfold as she turned to a half sphere by her and it changed from the view of a battle to his bedroom.

He had just finished his work for the day. He decided it was high time he went scrounging in the fridge to see if anything was left. He got up, grabbing the chair on his way and walked past the living room and into the kitchen. The chair was the color of newly polished gold as soon as he left the room.

He entered the kitchen and opened the refrigerator, and noticed something was different about it. It seemed heavier as if made of... no it couldn't be, he thought. He turned on the light and looked again. The door was made of gold.

"Well isn't that weird. I must be dreaming," he muttered to himself before reaching in and grabbing a sandwich. He bit into it and almost lost all his front teeth. "Ow!" He exclaimed. He looked down at his sandwich, and it too had turned to gold.

"Well, now at least I am rich," he said to himself since no one was in the room, "I wonder what else I can make into gold."

He walked around his house touching various objects, until at last everything in it was gold. His magazines, videos, computer, clothing, even the carpet and the walls were gold, due to him tripping over a now 7-pound magazine.

As he was looking over his new golden apartment his thought fell to the riches he now had and what he would do with them. As his mind flitted over all the ladies he could have with this newly found fortune of his a knock sounded at the door.

Knock.

It seemed to boom through the house. He looked through the house not wishing to share any of his new found wealth, but in his haste to be rich he had turned everything into gold.

Knock.

Came the sound again, it thundered like a falling god. That noise scared him more than ever. Maybe if he did not say anything or make any noise they would go away.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

The sound seemed to be mocking him, even as the sound of feet rapped against the newly gold floor, not marring it an iota.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

Faster and faster his heart beat, and faster and faster the knocking came. He knew who it was; of course, it was his property owner coming to evict him. He knew he could easily pay the bill now, but he did not want the landlord to know how rich he had become, even the thought of being able to make more later did not quench his greed. He would not give anyone any of his money. It was his, all his.

He started laughing manically. The money was all his.

Knock. Knock. Knock. I know you are in there, said the person muffled behind the door. Knock, knock, knock. I can hear you in there.

Knock.

Knock.

Knock.

He heard the jingling of the landlord's keys as he went to unlock the door. Then Millan made a mistake, he knew he had made almost before he did it. He grabbed his head to rip out his hair in frustration.

The landlord opened the door and saw an empty apartment. All of the items belonging to Millan were gone. The magazines, videos, books, and the computer, all were gone. The only thing in the entire apartment was the ugliest statue the landlord had ever seen. It was of a man screaming as he ripped out his hair.