Miridian Ch. 01

Story Info
Laura goes to the forbidden sea, and is marked.
1.6k words
3.9
7.5k
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Madam_X
Madam_X
8 Followers

Welcome to the first part of Miridian. If you are here to see erotic fun time, I'm afraid you'll have to wait for the next part, which I will be submitting very soon. This is just a brief intro and part one - in which you get a feel of the main character and the world she lives in.

-

Introduction

There are legends from the seas as old as time, yet, most neglect to question the events surrounding the creation of them. The oceans are vast and deep, and despite the technologies of today, there are still things that lurk in those dark depths that humans could never fully understand. In an age of readily available knowledge, superstition is considered ignorance – but to a small town in the cool North, superstition is a way of life.

Laura moved to the town with her mother when she was small, and over twenty years as a resident, watched the population slowly decline. Long before her family joined the ranks of the proud, steadfast citizens, the town was once known for its beautiful beaches and fine fishing. But, now, into her adulthood, the beaches were hidden away by large privacy fences, and boats were not permitted to sail within the confines of the bay.

Tales of cruel and unrelenting creatures occupying the waters surfaced in hushed tones amidst the township – but she had never believed them. The town was backwards in many respects, so how could such stories be realistic? Still, she couldn't always hide the uneasiness she felt when she walked along that fence everyday to and from school.

Twenty-six, and she still passed that fence on her way to and from work every day. But, something began to change about Laura's feelings for that mysterious beach beyond the fence. She had a desire to see it, and to see just what the rumors were about. This was her siren's call.

Part 1 – Marked

She steps out onto her front porch, and gazes up at the overcast sky. A light breeze glides past her, carrying with it the scent of the near ocean – salty, and crisp. Her hands grip the knitted sweater she wore and tug it tightly around herself. The wind and the sky were normal for most of the year, as was the chilly weather. Laura often thought herself to be strange, as she preferred it this way.

Like most members of the town, Laura is quite pale, but has auburn hair which practically radiates – despite the gloom that covers the area. Soft gray eyes carry with them an inquisitive glint, though they are often kept downwards, as this is a place where people truly prefer privacy. She is on the short side, though makes up for it with her curvy form – which she covers modestly, as most who work with children should.

Leaving the porch of the small beach home, she starts down the path to the great fence. Most everyone in town walked where they needed to, the worn path alongside the fence serving as a unified road. The mornings before school starts, and the afternoons after, were some of the only times she saw many of the township. It was a lonely life since her mother passed, and in many ways, she was uncertain as to why she lingered there still. Laura could not pull herself away.

She turns and looks at the old house, knowing full well she wouldn't be able to live there forever. It was old when she first came to town, and now stood practically decrepit. As a teaching assistant, she made just enough money to survive on – she couldn't pay the mortgage and afford to fix the house. Sooner or later, Laura knew she would have to consider her options. But, for the moment, she simply enjoys her walk.

There is something about being so near the sea that puts her on edge. It's a mixture of both anticipation and longing – she wanted to see the world hidden behind those wooden planks. But the rules were strict, disallowing anyone from wondering within the beach zone. If caught, anyone who broke the rules was asked to leave town. This was something that always baffled her.

Laura soon reaches the school, and is greeted by a busy receptionist who waves her over as she walks in. The woman is at least twice her own age, with hair stacked atop her head and shoved beneath a net, cat-eyed glasses barely hiding eyes adorned with blue liner.

"I tried to call you, but I guess you already left your house. There's too many students out with the flu, so classes today are cancelled."

"There always seems to be unexpected days off this time of year, doesn't there?" Laura shakes her head and rubs her temple for a moment. "Thanks, Marge."

Laura heads to her classroom to retrieve a book she had stashed away to read on her lunch breaks, with full intention of finishing it on her now open day. But, once she leaves and starts on that trail back home, oddly still and quiet, a wild urge and promise of an adventure spark in her. The wind blows her shoulder-length locks around her face, teasing her, and beckoning her to the sea. With no others on the path, now was her chance to see what was so horrible as to be hidden away.

Her book and sweater get tucked behind a bush grown up near the path, and she tries to find a hole in the wooded fence. Each slat was pressed so tightly together that there was no way to see between them, and frequently it was inspected and repaired of any weaknesses. She sees a knot in the wood, but the hole had been filled with plaster. Laura produces a pen from her pocket, and drives it into the hole until the plaster comes loose. With curiosity that could rival her small students', she brings an eye to that hole and looks out at the beach.

To her surprise, they are much further back from the water than she had thought. The white-grey sands of the beach seem to stretch into forever, cut off in the distance by deep blue water. It is as beautiful as it is alluring – though she thinks it must be because she hadn't seen such scenery before.

Laura pulls away and looks around herself, noting she was still alone on the path. An almost devious smile forms on her lips, as she grabs a hold on the top edge of the fence. Pressing her feet against the lumber, she slowly pulls herself up onto the edge – only to slip and tumble off and into the confined space. She becomes immediately aware of an oversight made when she used the peep-hole: there is a tall stone wall cutting off the beach that the fence was built on, so she drops a good ten feet into the sand, and rolls for a several yards, eyes closing tightly to avoid the stirring white sands.

At last, she stops rolling, and opens her eyes, the deep blue of ocean waters, grayed by the overcast light, near and inviting. Slowly, she sits up, and looks behind herself. It was amazing how distant that fence had seemed now that she was by the water. It was also surprising to see the beach stretch onwards, devoid of life or motion. It was a clean landscape – no trees beyond the fence, no abandoned beach furniture she had often imaged – just endless sand. Slowly, she rises to her feet, and slips out of her shoes, toes wedging into the sand, and a soft delighted sigh escaping her lips.

Laura began to move forward to the water, a soft salty breeze sweeping all around her. A faint a distant hum seem to draw her further from the beach, and soon, she stood up to her knees in the ocean water. Her eyes travelled downward – as if she expected to see the horrible thing that surely must exist poised for attact – but only saw her toes sinking into the sand, and little fragments of shells moving across the sand with the flow of the current. She has to hold back her excitement, and fight back the urge to swim.

After a moment of unexpected bliss – a true calm settling over the restless female – she turns and begins to walk back up to the beach, feet feeling sluggish and heavy. Her eyes were to the fence ahead of her, as she began to wonder just how she would be able to get out. That was when a sharp burning began in her ankle. She jerks and stifles a scream with her hand, moving quickly to the sand. With a twist of her body, she looks to her ankle where three slices into her flesh were bleeding. It was as if she had been attacked by an animal. Slowly, she turns to look at the water, and swears she sees a large shadow in the water where she had been standing, but it vanishes suddenly.

Laura slips on her shoes and runs up the beach quickly, greeting the fence with a newfound appreciation. The wall beneath the wooden wall had notches in its' bricks, as if eroded over time, and she uses those to climb upward to the fence. How she manages to find her footing to climb over, she isn't completely certain, but as she steps back onto the path, she become hyper-aware of the aching in not only her ankle, but her body. Quickly, she snatches up her things, and rushes back to her home.

That night, Laura locks her doors as if she is anticipating unwanted company, and sees to her nightly routine with an air of uneasiness.

Madam_X
Madam_X
8 Followers