Mollie from Montana

Story Info
A mistreated young attorney flees to build a new life.
4.8k words
4.65
41.3k
16

Part 1 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/07/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

An attractive young attorney abandons her remaining family who've treated her despicably. Mollie is hired under unusual circumstances and landed with chairman's laid-back grandson Gary King to re-program and groom for top management in King & King Law. Mollie's own career takes off and she finds herself being incorporated into the King family, where physical abuse has never surfaced.

Chapter 1

Mollie O'Rourke, looking a little bedraggled and a mite unhealthy, arrived in Acacia by train. She walked across the street to the Traveler's Guest House and booked a cheap room for a week, hoping she'd find work and would then relocate. Two hours later, after a meager meal of soup and vegetarian pie and salad, she went to bed and slept undisturbed, the best sleep she'd had in days.

In the morning Mollie made coffee and sat on the small deck outside her second-floor room and watched the city of 118,000 come slowly to life, the 29-year-old enjoying the first morning of her new life as a free woman. For the past eight years Mollie had cared for her invalid mother, victim of a vehicle crash that had killed her father. Her two brothers who lived and worked the ranch with their wives had paid for day help to allow Mollie to go through college and then on to law school. The day she ended her studies they cut their financial support and only visited their mother on Sunday to have lunch with her, departing as soon as they'd eaten.

Left alone to care for her mother, Mollie was able to use her qualifications to find a position in the property law department in the nearby town's only law firm. Much of the starting salary went toward day care for her mother. Mollie gradually built up her experience with the law firm until her mother died and all hell broke loose.

Mollie's sisters Megan and Shirley came home for the funeral and the family reunion was pleasant enough until the contents of the will were disclosed after the burial. Megan, Shirley, Clem and Brian were each left a quarter share of the in-debt ranch while Mollie was the beneficiary of an insurance policy for $900,000. At the time the will was written cattle prices were just beginning to ease off and the value of the ranch was assessed unchanged at $4.9 million. Its value had dipped sharply by the time the will was read some years later.

Mollie's older siblings were furious after they learned of the net value of their inheritances compared with Mollie's bequest.

"You're the baby of the family and for twenty-eight years have enjoyed free food and lodging," Brian shouted.

"Yeah, some of that money is ours," Clem snarled.

There was an uneasy silence and then Shirley, the cleverest one of those four, suggested the five of them pool their inheritances and take a one-fifth share.

Mollie said firmly, "No, mother knew what she was doing when she made her decisions. Have patience, we all know farming economics run in cycles and your rosier days will materialize."

Her brothers and sisters were in no mood to listen and when her position appeared unshakable, Shirley said, "I want the ranch sold or alternatively you guys buy me out."

"Yeah, me too," said Megan, pregnant with her fourth child.

Brian whispered something to Clem and the younger brother nodded. Brian said threateningly, "Mollie, you're going outside until you come to your senses."

He and Clem advanced on her and Mollie showed no fear, not even when her brothers stripped her down to her panties and pushed her outside. The laughter of her sisters rang in Mollie's ears as the door slammed behind her and she heard the key turn.

It was snowing but fortunately for Mollie the front porch was in the lee of the howling wind. She sat on a chair and fell shivering to sleep, awoken almost two hours later when her two sisters arrived to half carry her to a warm bath and then they put her to bed. Shirley, Brian and Clem resumed drinking and later loud shouting and screams awoke Mollie. She rushed out to find Brian and Clem had broken Megan's wrist and three of Shirley's fingers when bullying them to reverse their desire to have the ranch sold.

Mollie ran back and returned with her grandfather's unsheathed saber and when toughie Clem advanced on to her saying she'd not have the guts to use it on him; she reversed the blade and whacked him across the face, breaking his nose. She then drove the two men from the house and called the Sheriff's department.

The brothers received short-term sentences for assault causing injury. Megan's unborn baby appeared unharmed, The brothers instructed their attorney put the ranch up for sale but there was a problem: settlement of a sale could not occur until after probate and finalization of distribution of the estate.

On the evening her brothers were jailed, Mollie decided to escape her dysfunctional family and the next day, after establishing her identity with her mother's insurance company and lodging her bank account number with them, boarded a train heading east for she knew not where.

Mollie finally found peace within herself during her escape. After zigzagging 2800 miles non-stop, apart from waiting for connecting services, travel-weary Mollie ended her journey at Acacia City – a place she'd never heard of and where she was sure her despicable brothers who were jailed partly because of her testimony would be unable to find her. She had three suitcases containing all her possessions that included photographs of her parents and children, her personal papers and a glowing reference and work record from her one and only employer. She'd sold her pick-up before leaving and household effects to dealers.

The morning after her late afternoon arrival in Acacia, Mollie paid the $10/hr her landlady demanded for use of her computer and on the Acacia City website found twenty-eight law firms listed, some of which were advertising for personnel. She noted all phone numbers and during the next three days contacted all twenty-eight about positions. She had three interviews but none of the interviewers expressed any interest in hiring her. Mollie pointed out to no avail that it was the depth of experience and quality of work that mattered most, not the location and size of her previous law office.

Mollie was undetrred, aware that established a new life comes with problems. On her fourth morning in Acacia she found a newspaper advertisement placed by a Realtor requiring a contracts manager. Molly thought at least that would be a place to keep busy until she found an opening in a law office. As she approached the realty office Mollie heard a scraping sound and a shout. It appeared an elderly woman while backing her car out of an angled parking space had knocked a guy off his bicycle. The woman stopped the vehicle and got out. The cyclist appeared not badly hurt, if hurt at all.

The he cut loose. "You stupid old crow, you've wrecked my bicycle."

The woman was firm in her retort. "I'm sorry. Your bike is black and you are wearing black clothing. I-I just didn't see you. I'll pay for repairs or a new bike if that's necessary."

By now Mollie was at the woman's side, ready to assist.

"You bitch, you'll pay for a new bicycle now – three hundred bucks."

Mollie interjected, icy blue eyes flashing, "How dare you attempt to exploit an elderly woman who's admitted partial blame and apologized."

"Stay out of this Blondie or get whacked."

Mollie ignored the threat. "You bike is a heap of rust, you were riding without due care and attention in dark clothing making it difficult to see you on this overcast day. Your brakes are probably defective – go before the police arrive and I then demand your bike's brakes be tested."

"You bitch..."

At the sound of the distant siren the cyclist looked along Main Street and saw flashing lights. Without a word he picked up his cycle, raced across the street and disappeared down an alley.

The woman said calmly, "Thank you dear. You were brave standing up to that bully."

"It was nothing. Excuse me, please stand on the sidewalk and I'll run your car back in."

The police cruiser came slowly down the street. The elderly woman waved at the two patrolmen who both waved back and continued on slowly looking for the reported accident.

"They didn't stop. I'll have to go and report it myself."

"Whatever for?" Mollie smiled. "They chose to ignore you and anyway, where is the bicycle and where is the rider you felled? At the pace he ran across the street and disappeared carrying his wreck I'd say he's definitely not injured. In all probability he has a police record."

"Do you really think so?"

"Like my allegation about his defective brakes I have no idea. Perhaps the bike was stolen?"

The woman smiled. "Now that's really is stretching credibility."

"All I can say it's a possibility. Now, how are you?"

"Just shaken a wee bit. Could you please drive me home as I'm a little shaken? You can then drive back to the city and leave my car where I work. I will call my son about it."

"Yes of course. Allow me to help get you seated."

When Mollie sat behind the wheel she said, "I'm Mollie O'Rourke and am new to this city. I was about to apply for a job at Golden Oakes Realty when I heard the collusion but I expect it will be gone by now."

"Oh, I'm sorry Mollie."

"It's fine. Something else will come along."

"I certainly hope so. What sort of work are you seeking?"

"I'm an attorney and have contacted all the law firms in the city without success."

"Oh dear, this is a conservative city and we have a low level of female attorneys. Perhaps if you knew that you could have applied to be hired as a paralegal person as a starter?"

"No, my career is heading upwards. I have no wish to downgrade."

"I see. Well I admire you for you spirit which I guess gave you courage to stand up to that bully of a man I ran over."

"Correction – there was a collusion between your vehicle and his bicycle. Were you fully to blame or only partly to blame? We remain unsure of the degree of negligence attributable to the cyclist."

"Oh, I'm really talking with an attorney aren't I? Mollie, I am Maureen King. I've changed my mind about being taken home for the moment. Please take me to my place of business where my son and grandson also work. Our offices are on this street. Back out and take the first turn right and then the first turn left and I'll point out our parking lot on our left."

They parked in a visitor's space and Maureen punched in a number on the security pad. The door clicked open and they entered the plush thickly carpeted and light wood paneled hallway. Mollie said nothing but wondered if they were in a bank. There was a small elevator just inside the door and they rode it to the top floor indicated – the fifth.

They stepped out and Mollie noticed the empty room directly opposite was a boardroom with seating about a dozen people. The notice on the office next to it stated Chairman and the one next to that was named Managing Partner and the two beside that were both named Partner. By then Mollie had realized she was in the offices of a law firm.

The senior receptionist stood and almost bowed. "Good morning Mrs King – coffee for you and your guest?"

"Yes thank you Marjorie," Maureen said and appeared to wait for further comment from the calm-faced woman in black.

"Have you managed to park satisfactorily?"

"Yes thank you – a service vehicle is in my parking lot."

"I'll have it moved."

"Just issue a warning Marjorie. Please ask my son to see me."

"Yes Mrs King," Marjorie said, opening the door labeled chairman. Somewhat stunned, Mollie followed the chairman into her office, immediately noticing two vases of fresh flowers.

"If you are the principal you must be licensed," Mollie smiled.

"Yes, but these days I represent only the poor and community organizations and around twenty clients I've had for years. This practice, founded by my late husband's grandfather, is a limited liability partnership with my son in day-to-day control but I remain the power behind the throne and that is about to be tested."

Mollie thought that was an interesting comment but before she could phrase a question the door burst open a second after a curt knock and a thickset guy holding his spectacles strode in, leaving Marjorie to move hastily to close the door behind him. The guy was very tall and his florid face looked stressed. He glanced at Mollie with disinterest if not distaste and growled, "Good morning mother, what is it now? I have a client with me."

"This will not take long Stephen. Mollie, this is my son Stephen King. This lovely young woman saved me from a nasty predicament when I knocked a rogue off his bicycle. Stephen meet my good Samaritan Mollie O'Rourke."

Stephen pulled out a billfold. "How much do you want me to pay her mother?"

"Stephen, don't be such a Philistine. Put that money away. Mollie has just arrived in the city looking for a job and I want you..."

"Can you type?"

"Stephen, Mollie is an out-of-town attorney. I want you to find a position for her here."

Losing some of his hostility Stephen asked, "Is it Miss or Mrs O'Rourke?"

"Miss, but please call me Mollie."

Stephen made quite a point of swallowing and adopting a smile. "Mollie, in what areas of law do you confidently believe you possess high competency?"

"Business, Probate/Estate Planning, Family, Adoption, Auto Accidents, Custody, Real Estate, Consumer, Personal Injury, I am experienced in Litigation both in representing plaintiffs and defendants, although not at the same time of course and..."

"I see."

There was no chance of Stephen stalling on this one. His mother asked, "Where are we under strength at the moment Stephen?"

"Taxation, estate planning because you won't contribute, Auto Accidents and Personal Injury..."

"That's it, Mollie can work with Gary under Stanley Jessop."

"No, one weak link in that department is enough. No way will..."

"Stephen, stop this instant. How dare you dub Mollie a weak link without evidence of performance."

Stephen backed off and attempted to look contrite. "Yes mother, you're right. Mollie I must explain. My mother has hit a sensitive area because Gary is my son who is struggling to make an impression. But enough of this. We know nothing about Mollie and presumably she's not licensed to practice in this state."

"Mere formalities and I shall personally assist Mollie to become licensed."

"No mother, and that's my final word on this."

Mollie then witnessed what Maureen King had alluded to in her comment about being the power behind the throne. Stephen stared at her defiantly, beads of perspiration appearing on his brow. Maureen's slightly bent back straightened and she looked as if she were dealing with a naughty boy.

"Stephen, please call an emergency meeting of equity partners for 4:00 today."

Her son capitulated. He pulled out his phone. "Stanley, Mrs King is recruiting an attorney for your department. Could you come to her office immediately and assist with the process. Five minutes? Yes that will be fine."

Stephen snapped his phone shut and asked his mother was that all and was thanked for being so cooperative.

"Thank you Mollie for whatever you did for my mother," Stephen said without malice. "Look, please come to dinner tonight and meet the family because my wife Elaine will be most concerned about that incident. She worries about my mother being allowed to drive a vehicle because of safety issues – to other road users as well as mother. You will also meet Gary since it appears you will be working in that department."

Molly used her neutral look. "Thank you Mr King. In your position I would be worried about Mrs King's driving. Her vehicle appears battle-worn. Either she requires a more suitable vehicle, or corrective eyewear, perhaps both, or should engage a chauffer. I shall talk to her about this if Mrs King is prepared to listen to me. I can be very persuasive when dealing with clients who put other citizens at risk."

Maureen sniffed and said something that sounded very much like 'you young bitch' while Stephen looked at Mollie almost in awe before nodding to her and departing, leaving senior receptionist Marjorie to close the door.

"Now listen here," Maureen began as Mollie turned to her and with an engaging smile Mollie cut in and said, "He behaves like a naughty boy when confronted by you. I'll speak to him about that given the opportunity. Why does he look so hassled?"

"He's over-worked as senior partner Harold Franks is not pulling his weight and Stephen has the problem of delaying my grandson's elevation to partnership because Gary is showing signs he'll not make the grade."

"Oh dear. Have you thought of moving out? That would allow Stephen to take over the chairmanship and your office and allow him to appoint another senior partner to remove some of the load off him. You could work on Gary's problems as well as continuing working your special interests and have the joy of being removed from chairmanship responsibilities."

Mouth open, Maureen closed it and said curiously, "Have you and Stephen met before and he's encourage you to say that to me?"

"No, of course not. Until he walked into this room minutes ago I had no idea he existed."

Mollie had a thought and smiled. "Oh, I should mention one of my strengths in law is working in alternative dispute resolution. It's something that seems to suit the way I think."

"I see, so that explains why you didn't immediately say I shouldn't be allowed to drive?"

"Yes although that remains at the back of my mind. But first there is need to look for possible quick-fixes such as a vehicle that gives you better vision, your own vision should be checked and perhaps you should attend a refresher driving course. Before you pooh-ha that suggestion and say defiantly no one could teach you to drive better because you have been driving since you were a teenager – we must assume people did have cars then – please remember trying anything is better than having the right to drive taken from you."

Maureen's mouth tightened. "You live dangerously but then again you are not without the ability to talk sense."

Mollie hid her triumph, as she knew formidable Maureen was more than listening to her. "And you appear to be a matriarch who when having a quiet drink ought to consider her position and meditate the words, 'Absolute power corrupts.' Is that what is behind Gary's dilemma Maureen – a matriarch, a rebellious and strong-willed father and perhaps a mother also strong willed and who is at her wits end how to turn her son's lights on?"

Maureen sighed heavily and clutching a hand at her throat breathed, "Oh God Mollie, just who are you?"

Avoiding eye contact Mollie said simply, "I'm a nobody Mrs King – just a misfit in what is left of my own family. I'm just Mollie from Montana."

"Well listen to this Mollie from Montana. Within five minutes you have told me what my son has been telling me for some two years but I wouldn't listen. It is true; I have become a misfit within my former empire. You wouldn't know this but my husband's father chose me to succeed him as managing attorney ahead of his own son. And I'm now absolutely confident you have put the finger of what's turned Gary's lights off, to use your stimulating words. Welcome to our law practice Mollie."

There was a polite knock on the door.

"Enter!"

"No, say please enter."

Without looking at Mollie. Maureen called demurely, "Come in Stanley."

The surprised looking Stanley Jessop entered and appeared even more surprised when the chairman said, "And how's the new baby Stanley?"

"She's blooming thank you Mrs King."

"Stanley Jessop, this is Mollie from Montana, er, I mean Miss Molly O'Rourke who is to fill the vacancy in your department. Neither Stephen nor I have a clue about her competence and she's not yet registered to practice in this state but those are minor details. I want Mollie working in your department and working alongside Gary. I want them to work as a team with neither being called the team leader for the first weeks of Mollie's appointment. Then, from your own observations and appraisals, you'll label the most deserving one of them with senior status. I suspect before too long Mollie will be setting your department alight and taking Gary along with her, but let's wait and see."

12