Mollie from Montana Ch. 03

Story Info
Elaine moves into the process of 'adopting' Mollie.
4k words
4.74
24.9k
4

Part 3 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/07/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 3

Three days later Elaine asked if she could view the apartment Mollie had all but decided to lease. Pleased to have Elaine taking an interest, Mollie agreed but was a little disappointed when Elaine said it was reasonable but then smiled and asked could she show Mollie an alternative.

"This so-called alternative is far too expensive for me," Mollie said when Elaine drove into the two-level basement parking lot of a luxury apartment tower overlooking the river on the fringe of the central business district. "I could afford to live here if I'd doubled my income."

"It costs nothing to look."

The big corner apartment was beautifully furnished with white leather sofas and chairs and a very modern glass dining table with stainless steel and trendy white-stitched black leather chairs. There was a small separate kitchen, a big bedroom and a guest bedroom, a study with a day bed, two bathrooms and the lounge was huge.

"It's beautiful – love at first sight for me," Mollie said dreamily. "How much?"

"The same as you would pay a month for that apartment we just viewed, $885."

"But this is twice as large, more luxurious and in a premier location – that cannot be so?"

"That's a sound assumption, but it's just sitting here. I'm rather wealthy in my own right Mollie. I purchased this apartment for Gary last month from someone desperate to sell. I thought if Gary got away from home that might assist him to find his feet. Unfortunately but my son refused to even come and view it."

"Oh dear, both a sacrifice and a disappointment."

"I've been thinking perhaps..." Elaine's voice faded.

"That if I were living here he might be tempted to move in?"

Elaine squirmed. "I know I'm clutching at straws and imposing on you."

"And risking pressuring Gary?"

"Oh God, yes. I'm not thinking straight, am I?"

"You know, it might work. I am aware he is attracted to me."

Eyes widening, Elaine asked, "Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"And what about you?"

"I'd be lying if I were to say I wasn't interested. But the issue is what affect would any such union have on Gary? We mustn't mindlessly think it would automatically assist the mission."

"Of course not."

A patsy answer was not good enough for Mollie. It was perhaps indelicate to push but she considered she must. "What's your instinctive feeling?"

"Oh Mollie, why ask me? Is it because I'm his mother?"

"That's good enough reason for me."

Elaine said she'd say what she knew in her heart was true. "If you two start having good sex he'll quickly become the best pal you've ever had."

Mollie eyed her carefully and sighed. "I'd go along with that, completely. The trouble is I believe all conservative professional opinion would advise me against it. If an emotional attachment turns sour or Gary feels he is being over-powered, I could be setting us up to fail."

"Unless you split the relationship and operate a dual management role just as mothers do with their children. Their behavior and attempted control over their children at home changes when they are associated with other mothers and their children in a different environments such as in the school yard."

Mollie look at Elaine in surprise and her eyes lit, saying Elaine had made a significant point. "You're saying if we do become involved we make a pact to act differently between when we are at home to when we are at work or involved with other people?"

"Yes, that is what I'm suggesting. Behavioral boundaries are established. At home you would be lovers whereas at work you would be almost adversaries while at the same time attempting to develop common goals."

"Something like that," Mollie grinned. "The business relationship would be multi-layered and riddled with minefields."

Elaine smiled and asked Mollie dryly had she attempted to maintain a long-term lover relationship? "It's bound to move away from focus on touch, sighs, huge ejaculations and candlelight dinners."

They laughed and looked at each other emotionally, mutual respect showing.

"Does Gary know this is the apartment you purchased?"

"No, we never got to that level before he rejected the idea."

"Good, then I am confident of luring him here when he feels ready and can provide sex hot enough to give him a compelling reason to move in with me. But I warn you that will come with three risks. One, if he finds out this is a set-up I'm as good as dead and he may never trust you again. Two, if we have miscalculated it may ruin any chance I have of turning Gary around and so I need your assurance you are comfortable about accepting that risk. And three..."

"You and Gary may fall in love."

Mollie looked away.

"Come on, you're not the only one with a brain and a good sense of anticipation. Mom and I have already talked about it and we both would like to see that happen. You are still connected to your background Mollie. That part of your life will fade although never will be forgotten. There may even be a family reconciliation ahead for you one day. But mom and I see you as an adorable young woman and would welcome you into the family. As for Stephen, well we don't know except if Gary makes associate status on true merit Stephen will give you anything you want."

"Thank you for that Elaine. I am deeply touched. Now to business – what is the recommended monthly rental for this apartment furnished to this quality?"

"Around $2100."

"All right, here's the deal. I'll pay half of that now and if Gary moves in he'll pay the other half."

"No, you have the first month free and then pay $885 a month and if Gary moves in you get him to match that. That's the rental rate for family. I'm firm about that Mollie."

"Are you sure?"

"Very sure."

"Good, I'll move it tomorrow if that is okay with you."

"Very okay. The family is going out for dinner tonight. I'd like you to join us. I'll call when I find out where mom's PS has booked us in."

"That would be lovely. I am expecting to hear from my manager Stanley Jessop this afternoon that my appointment is confirmed. My credentials are being checked and he's arranging for me to become licensed to practice in this state."

"So you remain on the loose until then?"

"No and Maureen saw this before even I did when she was unraveling her proposal to me: the arrangement we have means I can properly be a legal buddy to Gary providing I don't step beyond roles as a researcher and adviser. I must refrain from giving legal advice to our clients."

"But you can make suggestions and lead Gary where necessary?"

"Yes."

"So you can fully participate in the meantime in jointly preparing briefs and discussing tactics and work to strengthen his backbone?"

"Exactly and that means from day one I can be performing my role with him."

"Splendid. I'm so happy about that. Let's go for coffee. Oh, do you mind if we also call in somewhere – there's a dress I have been looking at?"

Surprised, Mollie smiled and said not at all.

They stood looking at the dress being held by a store assistant.

"Should I buy it?"

Mollie, her voice neutral, said yes.

"You don't sound overly enthusiastic."

"You like it so why not buy it?"

Elaine said to the assistant would she leave them for a few minutes. They both watched the assistant walk away.

"What do you think of her?" Mollie asked.

"She seems nice, why do you ask?"

"I mean what did you focus on as walked away – the back of her hair, her back, her ass, her legs or her shoes?

Looking a little edgy, Elaine said, "Mollie, what is this about?"

"Answer me. She's around your age."

Elaine signed and said her legs and asked what had Mollie looked at.

"Her legs. And why did we do that?"

"I really don't know."

Mollie stared at Elaine. "Because butts at your age are not eye-catching but that woman has good legs."

"Yes, and her stockings or panty hose complemented her dress, being a couple of shades lighter."

"At least two shades darker actually. Elaine you have better shaped legs than that woman, not that we are allowed to see much of them."

"Are you saying my hemlines are too low?"

"Yes."

Elaine swallowed. "All right."

"All right what?"

"Choose a dress for me."

"Okay, but my choice of color or very close to it?"

"You're making me nervous Mollie but very well. This is why I asked you to accompany me here."

Mollie waved to the assistant who hurried over. "Mrs King will try on the dress you were holding for her. Elaine opened her mouth to comment but emitted only a sigh.

She walked out of the cubicle confidently. "This dress is me."

"I'd have to agree silver and black does suit you, Mollie said. "Now I want you to look carefully in the mirrors at your hemline from all angles."

Smiling Elaine did that and then eyed Mollie. "I'm ready to be shocked."

Mollie asked the assistant to pin up the hem three inches.

"Three inches," Elaine quavered.

"Yes."

"I agree, " said the assistant, earning a glare from Elaine. "Ma'am has lovely legs, from what we are permitted to glimpse."

Elaine looked ready to throttle the woman.

When the quick pinning was completed Elaine looked in the mirrors and all but wailed, "This definitely is not me."

"No, is the new you," Mollie pressed. "What do you have in that length – we need it for this evening."

"Come this way Miss."

They returned with two dresses. Black and burnt orange.

"Maureen will be wearing black and I never wear hideous orange."

"May we have my choice please," Mollie said, and the assistant walked away with the offending dresses chosen to steer Elaine to the selected garment.

"Green, I never wear green," Elaine said doubtfully, eyeing the shimmering silk.

"You do now – please suck back that petulant lip," was the stern response and it drew a light smile.

"Ohmigod, it feels so high. I better wear panties tonight," Elaine joked. At least Mollie and the assistant laughed and appeared to believe it was a flippant comment.

Mollie stood back and only just heard Elaine say, "Green on me?"

"It looks lovely on madam," the assistant said. "Your complexion is light olive, your eyes are dark and you hair is dark. Perfect. You daughter knows best, believe me."

Only then did Mollie realize why Elaine was relating to her so well; she was in the process of being 'adopted'. Mollie flushed and felt an emotion rising that's she couldn't remember feeling for a great many years – a childhood memory that she'd recalled standing over the grave at her mother's burial. She turned away to recover, dabbing at her eyes.

"I'll take it and please select a black one same length but some silver beading or thread in the bodice is you can find it. Thank you for being so patient with me."

"Please come with me, madam. I have a choice of five that fall into those requirements."

As they left the store Mollie asked, "Nervous?"

"A little. I was wondering if you could come early this evening to be with me when I walk down the stairs with a dress above me knees."

"Don't exaggerate," Mollie said, taking Elaine's arm. "Your new dress length is three inches below the knee. I won't need to be there. Wear your hair up and apply extra blusher and none of them will notice your dress length until they see you back-on and by then it will be too late for comment."

"I wish."

"Wish and it will happen."

Elaine laughed and Mollie felt her arm being pressed, making her feel so happy.

The restaurant meal went well and although Gary was not far from being mute as a conversationalist. He focused on Mollie more than anyone else and Mollie and Elaine and probably Maureen noted that. Looking directly at Mollie, Maureen made a general announcement. "I had my first refresher driving lesson today and made an appointment to have my eyesight retested on Thursday. I am determined to become a safer driver."

Elaine raised her glass and called for a supportive toast to Maureen.

"Whoever has persuaded you to do that?" Stephen asked in surprise.

"Did I raise you to be a moron?" he mother snapped and Stephen lost his confused look when Elaine, sitting beside him, pointed to Mollie. Stephen acknowledged Mollie with a wink.

"Has anyone any objection if Mollie and I become more than friends?"

Everyone appeared slightly stunned, especially Mollie, at that unexpected outburst. There was silence until Maureen said, "Why do you think we'd object to the inevitable Gary?"

"Because she wasn't handpicked for me."

"Are you sure about that?" replied his grandmother.

All eyes now turned on Maureen and it was Elaine who broke the silence.

"I'd be delighted if that were to happen. Stephen?"

He responded instantly. "It's all right by me. Did the guys in auto and injury give you a hard time Mollie? By the way, HR and Stanley went over your track record with me late this afternoon. We agreed you record is impressive enough to place you on track to achieve associate status."

Mollie appeared to be struck dumb.

Gary raised his glass. "A toast to Mollie – well done Mollie."

"Well done Mollie," the family chorused and then laughed as Mollie gave her very humorous account of her reception from the guys in auto and injury.

As they gathered outside the restaurant Mollie said, "Good night everyone."

"We'll take you home," said a very mellow Stephen.

"No, it's fine. It's just a short cab ride."

"Let them see where you are living," Gary said. "It will give my family a better perspective of you."

Sighing, Mollie said, "Yes, you're quite right Gary."

"This way," Stephen said, looking at Mollie curiously. They noisily piled into the Cadillac DTS.

"No, not the hotel strip dad, take the next left."

"But that's..."

"Yes dad. Mollie arrived by train into the poorer part of the city and had no compunction about crossing the street and booking into the nearest boarding house. I'm accepting it's what you see is what you get with Mollie. No pretence. I guess she was not loaded with money when she arrived and is waiting for her inheritance."

"Is that true Mollie?"

"He guessed that last bit Stephen, but it's how it is."

"I'll give you an advance."

"Thank you Stephen but I secured a bank loan on the guarantee of the executor of my mother's estate. I now have money in abundance."

"Mollie, you should have said," Maureen choked. "We all just assumed...you project so confidentially and present so beautifully."

"Hush Maureen, it's fine and you weren't to know. My mother wanted to die at home and I paved the way for her, taking out a loan and purchasing very expensive equipment and medical care to allow her to survive out of hospital. My brothers supported the loan charges and ongoing costs until I graduated and then immediately cut their cash flow and my two sisters refused to help. I had the option of going to Court to force my family to share the costs or doing it alone. I decided on the latter because I didn't want my mother put through the wringer before a court order could be granted and applied. She died believing the whole family was supporting her and that's what I wanted. My inheritance comes as an insurance policy and payment falls outside probate and I've been advised will be transferred to my bank account this Thursday. Well here we are, that's where I'm living, fifty yards down on the right. I move to an apartment tomorrow – I guess one would say on the right side of town, the very right side of town actually."

"It's a cool story and if Mollie rises to become a star, as I'm certain she will, perhaps one day she'll write a book and call it Mollie from Montana and it will become a film."

Stephen, Elaine and Maureen only half-heard what Gary was saying. They were gazing at the decrepit-looking three-level wooden building, paint peeling but cheerfully lit.

"God Mollie or perhaps you should be dubbed Cinderella," Elaine sighed. "Escort her safely across the street Gary."

"I've already gotten that covered mom," Gary said, jumping out of the front passenger's seat.

The family watched Gary lead Mollie across to the entrance porch to the boarding house. As Gary bent slightly to kiss the cheek of his new friend, Elaine sobbed, "Oh that darling girl. I want you two to do everything you can to help her."

"We've done that," Maureen said. "She is now is back in the system. It's now over to Mollie. If we attempted to interfere from here on it would not only be unfair to others at her level but it could make us offside with Mollie."

"I agree with you mom," Stephen said. "She's going to make it with Gary and with her career Elaine, believe me. That young woman is unstoppable."

"Mollie's moving into the apartment I purchased for Gary."

Stephen reacted as if he'd been shot. "Oh Elaine, how could you> It could wreck her chances of getting Gary on track."

"Stephen, we discussed that so don't under-estimate Mollie."

Maureen agreed Mollie appeared to have Gary under control but said there should be no more interference from Elaine.

"I've already started lightly mothering her and I'm not about to stop," Elaine said defiantly. Maureen said that was irrelevant to Mollie's mission.

Stephen turned the conversation. "Elaine, your instant switch on to Mollie is quite astonishing and obviously she's responding to you. So that's why your new dress is shorter, your makeup is different and your hair is up? Well, who am I to complain. You always have had great legs."

"Oh you two, spare me," Maureen said in mock dismay. "There's no need to carry on like teenagers."

Gary returned to the front seat. "What's up, why the grins?"

"You father has confessed he's noticed a change in me this evening."

"Yeah, I did too and you still have great pins for an older dame mom. I guess it's Mollie's influence? I feel she is going to be good for me. Have you guys noticed her legs?"

They drove off in silence, each person in deep thought.

Ready for bed, Mollie reviewed her day. Her phone went and he face lit when she noted who was calling.

"You looked lovely this evening. Did he notice?"

"Yes and I found they all did. The gross comment from my son was I have great pins for an older dame."

Mollie giggled. "So no adverse reaction?"

"No."

"I suggest you wear something sexy to bed."

"Um Mollie?"

"Yes?"

"Um..."

Mollie broke the silence. "Is it you suspect he's playing around?"

"Yes."

"Oh dear, that's a crappy thought. But you've decided to say nothing?"

"Yes."

"Good girl."

Perplexed Elaine asked, "Am I hearing you right?"

"Yes, I would hate it happening to me but it does happen and there's not a lot one can do about it. I believe the best option is to ignore it and try not to allow it to wreck your own life."

"What, keep smiling and wear something sexy to bed tonight?"

Mollie laughed. "And here was I thinking you were a dumb broad."

"Mollie, that's cruel."

"We're dealing with life here Elaine. Didn't someone write the most satisfying fucks are to be had at home?"

"I wouldn't know but it sounds very crude."

"Elaine, tonight you have the choice: Deny yourself or go after it."

"Mollie, this is becoming very personal. I'm not sure I approve."

"You do but don't quite know it yet. Goodnight Elaine."

"No Mollie, wait. Stay talking to me."

"Goodnight you lovely lady. Perfume up a bit and wear something sexy. Goodnight."

Mollie snapped her phone shut, smiling.

* * *

Drained and still panting slightly and hearing his wife moving around in the bathroom, bathwater running, Stephen King thought what on earth had that been all about? Elaine had come to bed in something flimsy, a breast hanging out and smelling as if she'd tipped a bottle of French perfume over herself. She'd flopped into bed, pulling a sheet over her and turned her back on him. She yawned and murmured good night, not seeking the usual cuddle and kissing him before saying some like "Good night lovely man.'

12