More than Friends: Ch. 04

Story Info
Something's gotta give.
9.7k words
4.61
20.3k
11

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 08/30/2017
Created 06/28/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So she hasn't said anything to you?" asked Martha.

"No, nothing, Ma. And if you ask me I haven't noticed Janice behaving all that different, either."

Yvonne was getting exasperated with her mother, who had chosen to call her in the midst of her work day. Although in all fairness, she noted, her mother couldn't have known she was working on a Sunday. But she was growing tired of her mother's insistence that something was not right with Janice, simply because she gave them a surprise visit when she first got to Philadelphia.

"And, how come you waited this long to say anything, if you were so worried?"

"I didn't want to intrude and I hoped she would tell me in due time but she hasn't said anything so far. I could sense some tension in her voice during our last few calls -"

"Maybe you caught her when she was busy at work too."

"Look, I'm too worried to sit quiet about this any longer. I thought as her best friend you'd know what's going on." explained Martha.

She knew her daughter wasn't perceptive when it came to feelings and rarely picked up on someone else's unease but considering how close Yvonne and Janice were, she'd hoped that Janice had confided in her.

"It could be work related anxiety, you know. She had just moved here from France and was finally going to start working at the company she'd fantasized about for years ... Eddie said she was nervous about it."

"Maybe. It's just ... she felt too troubled and withdrawn- even with me- for it to be something as simple as that."

"I don't know, Ma. All I'll say is that if there was something bothering her, then she certainly didn't say anything to me. And as far as I can tell, she's doing really well right now."

"She is? Why do you say so?"

"Well, for starters her work- she's doing really well there. Her boss kept riding her ass like a dick at first -"

"Yvonne!"

"What?"

"Language." Martha said, rolling her eyes.

She liked that she had the kind of relationship where her daughter would freely talk to her about everything but sometimes she had to remind her about her manners.

"Er ... Ok. So, her boss is a meanie who was making her work longer hours than the rest and having her work reviewed constantly. I think they must've thought that just coz she's young and pretty she couldn't handle it, but, you know what a trooper Jan can be- she toughed it out."

"That's nice. She never said they were giving her a hard time at work."

"Yeah, she wouldn't have told me either but you know me, I don't wait till she talks. I make her talk if I sniff something's off."

Martha laughed softly as she recalled the few times the girls ever fought as kids. All the instances involved Yvonne suspecting Janice of keeping secrets from her.

"The other reason why I think she's more than just okay? She's been dating this guy from Eddie's office."

"What do you mean dating?" asked Martha surprised. "She hasn't said anything to me!"

Yvonne smiled, aware of the key role she'd played in bringing Yvonne and Dara together.

"Dating as in has gone out with the same man more than once and, without me twisting her arm about it."

"Really?"

"So maybe I did some arm twisting the first time but not since."

"Well I'll be damn- "

"Language, Ma!"

Yvonne laughed as she teased her mother for swearing.

"Sorry 'bout that. I'm just shocked, as you can imagine ..."

Those close to Janice knew she rarely went out with anyone more than once. Her dating pattern consistently involved her going out with someone once and then losing interest claiming that the chemistry wasn't there or they weren't her type or some other excuse for not seeing them again.

To Martha, it had always felt like Janice already had an ideal in mind which all these men were falling short of. She worried that Janice would never meet anyone in reality who measured up to that ideal and thought it a shame that such a bright and caring young woman would end up all alone someday because of it.

"Dara is a good looking guy from Eddie's office- smart, charming, funny. He comes across like this total player but she's got him wrapped around his finger."

"So you think he'll be good for her?"

"I know he'll be good for her which is why I'm planning something to move things along."

"Now Yvonne, you should know better than to meddle."

"I'm not meddling, Ma! We've all been so busy with work and it'll only get busier for me once summer's here ... I thought it'd be nice for us to get away together for a weekend ... One of my client's owns a beachfront property - I'm trying to talk her into letting me use it for one weekend at the start of summer."

"That does sound really nice. Now, when are you bringing Edward home to see us?"

"Edward will need to check with his firm, but as far as I'm concerned, not before Thanksgiving, that's for sure. I've got stuff lined up back to back, pretty much, till then."

"If you're so busy with work all the time how are things between the two of you?"

Yvonne hesitated before answering.

"Fine, I guess."

"You know that boy's the best thing that ever happened to you. You better treat him right."

"I know, Ma. I love him. You know I've never felt this way about anyone before Eddie ... just ... sometimes I wonder if we're really suited for each other."

"What do you mean?"

"I can't say for sure ... With him, everything is better than it has ever been for me. But then there are times I think we don't get each other at all."

"Have you said these things to him?"

"No. I'm scared, Ma. I don't want to lose him."

Martha had never known her daughter to be scared of anything and neither had she sensed such insecurity in her before.

"Knowing how long that boy has carried a torch for you I don't think he'll scare off easily. You really should try talking to him."

Yvonne kept quiet. She had not confided in her mother about how Edward and her relationship started off with a lie- it was a secret she kept from two people of the three people she loved the most in this world.

She knew some of her insecurities stemmed from her casual musings on whether Edward had really fallen for her or for the woman he believed he was communicating with all those years. She knew the sooner she came clean with Edward the sooner she'd be rid of these uncertainties about their relationship.

"I think you're right. When the time's right I'll talk to him."

"Don't wait too long. Where is he anyhow? Lemme say a quick hello while I'm still on."

"He's at Jan's. She needed some stuff fixed and decided to do it on her own today, since she has the day off."

"What is she getting fixed?"

"I don't know. I wasn't paying attention- sounded like manual labor would be involved. You know how she is about taking money ... so, I asked Eddie to drop by and help out."

"Nice of him to agree."

"Oh, he's a saint to agree. I know he had planned on watching some big game this morning. He was a little grumpy about being told last minute but he agreed to go nevertheless when I pointed out how Jan would likely end up drilling a nail into her own hand ... You know she really isn't as handy as she likes to think she is."

Martha would've snorted if she wasn't too dignified for such behavior. It was true- while not inherently clumsy- Janice had managed to injure herself on numerous occasions by taking on projects that were outside her skill-set.

"Why didn't you go to give them a hand?"

"Because, I'm working. I told you so at the start. In fact, I need to hang up now- the party starts in under thirty minutes and the DJ isn't here as yet."

"Alright. You go do your thing. Love you."

"Love you too. Bye."

*****

Edward had made it a point to avoid Janice or at least avoid situations where he would be alone with her. He was confounded by the pull he felt towards her. Sure, she was attractive but Yvonne had movie star good looks and yet he'd never fantasized about her, or any other woman, in that manner. It felt like anytime his guard was down she'd pop uninvited into his head. Annoyed by her attempts to drive him insane, he usually found himself irritable and surly in her presence.

He had looked forward to spending his Sunday morning doing something special with his girlfriend so he was disappointed to learn she was working a brunch event that day. He changed his plans from a sensual massage to relaxing in front of the big screen catching the replay of Saturday night's big game. He was all set and ready to hit the remote when Yvonne walked in, asking him to help Janice out.

"I'm a lousy handyman, you know." was his explanation for why he couldn't.

"As is she. She's good at planning but execution, not so much. Ideally I would prefer to just hire a professional to do- whatever it is- but she's too damn proud for that.

"I can't think of anyone else I can ask who she'd be willing to accept help from."

Edward couldn't deny the soundness of her argument, so here he stood now- feeling a bit silly with his box of tools- outside Janice's apartment. He was embarrassed to admit that he wasn't one of those men who were good with tools. He hoped that she didn't need anything beyond hammering a few nails here and there.

As he waited outside for the door to be opened, his thoughts ran to the key that remained inconspicuously with the rest of his keys. Once again, without meaning to, he found himself recalling the scene from the last time he'd used that key. So when the door was finally opened he was taken aback to find a shirtless and sweaty Dara before him.

"Hey man." Dara nodded at him before squinting down at him. "Is she expecting you?"

"Obviously not." Edward replied.

Edward felt like an imbecile, standing there, toolbox in his hand, while clearly he'd interrupted them. He turned to leave but stopped when he heard Janice's voice call out from inside.

"Who's it Dara?"

"It's me. Ed-"

Janice had reached the door by now. She was dressed casually in a pair of short shorts, tank top, worn out sneakers and had her hair up in a ponytail- covered by a bandana.

"-die."

"Hi," she smiled brightly at him.

He couldn't get how she managed to look adorable and sexy at the same time.

"Yves said you may need help." he blurted when he realized he'd been staring at her.

"Thank god!" she said, grabbing him by the arm and pulling him in. "I thought I could manage on my own. But as you can see... " She held out her hands and pointed around her.

He noticed the furniture in the living room was covered with sheets of plastic and paper was spread over the floor.

"Yves said you wanted to fix stuff."

Janice burst out laughing. "Newp. Sorry. It's a paint job. Think you can handle it?"

"Sure," Edward looked at his clothes, "I just wished I'd been warned."

"I'd offer you something to wear, but I don't think I have anything in your size."

"Good because I don't think I could pull off hot pink as well as you."

Janice laughed.

"Okay, why don't you boys finish scraping the walls here while I go cover my stuff in the bedroom?"

"Sure thing, boss lady." piped Edward.

"Here," Dara said tossing a sponge at him as soon as Janice had left the room. "So, Yvonne volunteered your ass?"

"Mmhmm. I was all set to watch the game, but, here I am, instead."

Dara chuckled, "Yeah, I came over hoping to score some brownie points. I've never had to work so much for pussy before."

Edward cringed inwardly but stayed silent.

"Just look at her- out there on her hands and knees, clueless about what a tease she is."

Dara was pointing towards the bedroom. The door was open so they could see Janice lining the papers on the floor; her shorts clung to her ass creating a very tempting picture.

"Let's just get this done." he told Dara.

"Sure."

*****

"Why is this place like a furnace?" Edward commented on the heat. He'd barely started and yet he was already sweating profusely.

Dara shrugged his shoulders.

"Something to do with a broken humidifier timer switch, I think. It should turn off in a couple of hours. I don't care though, since it gives me an excuse to show off my hot body."

Watching Dara flex his muscles and make silly faces while striking bodybuilder poses had Edward doubling over with laughter. Dara could be crass at times nonetheless he was a fun person to hang out with.

The men finished sponging the walls and fixing the cracks, as needed. It was hot work and Edward stripped off his shirt, shoes and socks in an attempt to stay cool.

"Okay boys. I think we're ready to paint now." said Janice, entering the room with brushes and rollers in her hand.

Janice bit her lower lip as she watched the two sweaty, shirtless men before her. Both, good-looking with fit bodies. Unfortunately, the one she really wanted to stare at was the one off-limits to her.

Keep it together. Don't let your hormones get the better of you after you've been good for so long.

She silently chided herself oblivious to the fact that, standing there all sweaty, with her clothes obscenely clinging to her curves, she was having a similar effect on the men before her. And only one of them wasn't feeling miserable because of it.

They finished the first coat of paint sometime in the afternoon and then took a break while they waited for the paint to dry. They stretched out on the floor, drank some wine- since Janice didn't have any beers- and ate cheap takeaway as they relaxed.

The humidifier had finally switched off but the place was still warm. The -combination of the afternoon heat, wine and exhaustion was making them act a little silly.

Edward was struggling to resist the urge to watch the beads of sweat rolling off of Janice's body while simultaneously getting annoyed with Dara for ogling her and making excuses to touch her.

"Look, you've got some paint here." said Dara, rubbing the back of her thigh when she stood up.

Janice looked down her leg and noticed the squiggly lines of paint drawn on her thigh. She squinted at him and smiled as she dipped her finger into a can of paint.

"Look, you got some too." she said, drawing a line on his face.

Dara stepped back, picked up one of the brushes still dripping in paint and jerked it, splashing drops of paint on to her face and body.

"Oh, this is war now!" declared Janice.

She picked up the roller and walked up to him. He knew what was coming and backed away from her. She moved her hand to run it across his chest but he was too quick. He dodged her by grabbing and pulling a stunned Edward in front of him as a human shield. Dara ran into the bedroom laughing, while Janice stared at Edward with her mouth gaping open, in shock.

She couldn't make out from his expression how mad he was. She braced herself by closing her eyes, expecting him to yell. She was caught off guard when he, instead, tickle tackled her to the floor. In a flash Edward had Janice pinned under him as he straddled her hips and used his shins to press down on her lower body. He grabbed her wrists and held them together using one hand, above her.

"No."

She squealed and wriggled trying to get away when he motioned with his free hand like he was going to tickle her some more.

"Ooooh yes." he said, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "Just like ole times. Though I think you're more ticklish now."

"Get off me you big lump." She yelled at him the same she did when they were kids.

"Apologize and I'll let you go."

"For what? If anything, it's Dara's fault."

Edward pretended not to hear her and moved his hand to make her think he was going to start- even as a kid he knew it was always the anticipation which made it worse for her than the actual tickling.

She squirmed some more, pulling at her hands and arching her back to get away.

He leaned closer to her ear, "Just apologize or you're going to get the ten finger treatment." This was where he'd use all ten fingers to tickle her.

"No. No. No." She squealed between bouts of giggles.

She thrust her hips wildly to dislodge him and stilled herself when she heard him groan instead. Both stopped laughing, suddenly aware of how intimately they were positioned. He could see her erect nipples poking through her clothing. She could feel his hot breath tickle her skin. They both lay motionless, staring at each other, unaware of what of happening between them.

"Is it safe to come out?"

Dara's voice broke the spell. Edward jumped up and moved away from Janice, who sat looking a little shell-shocked.

Hiding in the bedroom he had heard Janice squealing and Edward laughing so he couldn't understand why they both looked so serious now.

Feeling awkward about what may have almost happened Janice and Edward resumed painting quietly, with Dara joining them once he realized that fun time was over.

*****

It was late in the evening when they were finally done.

"Why don't you clean up too before you go?" Janice asked Edward.

"No, my jeans already have paint all over them. No point cleaning up if I'm to go home wearing them."

Edward dressed while he waited for Dara to finish cleaning himself.

"Make sure you put some papers on your car seat so you don't get paint all over it on your drive home."

"Good thinking." he said, helping himself to some of the clean sheets of paper still sitting on the floor.

Something had bothered him from the moment he arrived and saw Dara at her doorstep. He concluded it was better if he just said what was on his mind.

"Jan?"

"Yes?"

"Anytime you need help, any kind of help, will you call me? I mean, don't hesitate to call me."

He really wanted to tell her that he didn't like the idea of her depending on anyone else for help but knew he had no right to even think about, let alone say such things to her.

Janice avoided looking at him directly, still feeling embarrassed over how excited she got when Edward had only been goofing around with her earlier. So she didn't see the way he was looking at her, otherwise she would know there was more to his offer than he was saying.

"Thank you, Eddie."

She said, finally looking up at him, but, he was looking away now.

Dara strode towards them dressed and ready to leave. Edward waited for him in the hallway outside while Dara stopped to say bye to Janice.

"Bye beautiful."

"Thank you for today." she said.

"Any excuse, to spend some time with you. Only next time, let's do something more glamorous."

"Sure, I can take you some place fancy. Do you own any overalls and gloves?"

"How 'bout I pick the place?"

"I'll call you."

Dara leaned in and waited for her to kiss him. He felt after all his work he'd at least earned a kiss so he felt disappointed when all he got was a peck on the cheek with another "Thank You" before she shut the door.

"She's a total fuckin' tease," Dara grumbled as soon as they were out of earshot. "When I finally get her to my bed I'm gonna tie her up and tease her till she begs me to fuck her- give her a taste of what she's put me through."

Edward almost howled in pain. After the kind of day he'd had, he really didn't need the mental image of Janice tied up and begging to be fucked. He couldn't understand his fixation with her and it was taking a toll on him. Something had to give if he was to be stopped from doing something they would all live to regret.

*****

Yvonne's work schedule was messing with her personal life. As her client base and popularity grew, she struggled to make time for the people she really cared about.

Edward and Yvonne's schedules were completely conflicted- they barely even saw each other anymore and not for lack of trying. There were days when he'd try to stay up till she returned or she tried to wake up earlier than needed just to catch him before he left for work, yet they never seemed to get enough time to discuss their concerns about their relationship.