More Than Simply Dinner

Story Info
Internet friends meet & face numerous problems.
12.8k words
4.73
80.7k
14

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 03/21/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Tony155
Tony155
1,222 Followers

Author's note- This story is dedicated to a very special friend. You know who you are. Sincere thanks go to Blondiesheart for editing this story. Her keen eye caught numerous mistakes and her insight helped make this story better than originally written.

*

Tony was nervous as he sat at the bar of the Toledo Holiday Inn. "I'll meet you at six," she wrote in her last e-mail to him just the night before. The drink in front of him remained untouched as he waited, although his fingers played with the intricate cuts of the glass from time to time. He glanced at his watch once more and was dismayed at the slow passage of time. It was only five forty-five. "It'll be so good to see you." Tony looked around and saw that the bar and the dining area were beginning to get more crowded. Tony wasn't worried because he had made reservations for 6:30, just in case she was late. He turned back and took a small sip of his drink and sighed. First meetings were always hard.

They had been exchanging e-mails, he and Laura, almost daily for the past four and a half months after having been introduced by a mutual friend. Pictures had been sent back and forth, yet strangely, they had not called the other. The thought had crossed Tony's mind to ask her for her number, yet he didn't, seeking to keep some form of anonymity with her. At times, he thought he was being stupid about it, but Laura hadn't asked for his, either. In fact, he didn't even know her last name.

He had been pleasantly surprised to discover she lived in Ohio as well and dwelled perhaps three hours from his home. Through their letters, they got to know each other and found they shared a great many interests such as writing, the civil war, and ghosts. He loved her sense of humor and was more than flattered that a pretty and young woman as herself would have the slightest interest in a 45-year-old man. But she did.

As Tony sipped his drink, Laura waited in the parking lot. A light drizzle fell and obscured her face through the windshield of her pickup, but even in the mist, one could tell her thoughts were far away as she stared off into space.

Laura knew what time it was without looking at her watch. Apprehension was filling her as she questioned herself, remembering when Tony first posed the invitation to her. "I'll be in Toledo on the 14th and 15th of April," he wrote. "Have lunch or supper with me?" It seemed so long ago when he asked, but in fact it had been just a month.

She liked him from the start in spite of everything she had heard about corresponding with men online. He was a police officer and as they got to know each other better, he sent her a photo of himself in uniform. However, it was the first picture he sent to her that made her heart flutter. His smile and brown eyes melted her and she told him so in her next letter. It gave her the courage to send him a picture of herself, something she had been unwilling to do before. His response was exactly as she had hoped; he said she was pretty.

Now she sat in her pickup questioning her sanity and wondering if she should go through with it. The only person she told was her best friend and she thought Laura was crazy to do it.

"You don't even know him!" she exclaimed the day before. "How can you meet a total stranger a hundred miles away? How do you know he isn't a pervert or a creep? He's twenty years older than you, for God's sake!"

Laura had no sure answer for any of her friend's concerns, but she knew one thing. He had a hell of a lot to lose if he wasn't the person whom he portrayed in his letters. She did wonder about the age difference at times. Could he just want to get into her pants? It was possible, yet the subject of sex had not been brought up very much in their emails. Yes, there were the occasional flirting and harmless innuendos, but it was never anything more than that. No, she told herself, he just wanted to meet her and that was all. Most of their e-mails had to do with their everyday lives; work, home life, and their social lives. It was his self-deprecating humor which she enjoyed the most. He never seemed to take himself too seriously and often made fun of silly or stupid things he said or did.

She checked her watch and it was ten minutes before six. In her heart, she knew she didn't want to turn back, but her brain was playing games with her as rational thoughts permeated her mind. Laura had never been impetuous and she was always known for her level head, yet what she wanted to do was so unlike her and that made it all the more exciting. "You're very pretty." Those words he wrote sang in her heart from the first time she saw them in print. Somehow, she knew he meant it.

Back at the bar, Tony's stomach felt queer as if a hundred butterflies had decided to have a war then and there. His drink was barely touched, yet he wanted to have his wits about him if she arrived. When she arrived, he corrected himself. She said she would come and she would, yet doubts still crept into his mind.

It was then he looked up and saw her reflection in the mirror in front of him. He saw her look left and right, but she did not see him almost straight in front of her. She was wearing black dress slacks which hugged her hips nicely and a light-blue blouse which went well with her pale blue eyes. Her shoulder length blonde hair was curled and she had never looked prettier in any of the pictures she had sent.

When she looked to the right and behind her, Tony quickly slid off his chair and moved to her left.

"May I buy you a drink, Laura?" he asked.

Startled, Laura's head snapped back in Tony's direction, but her eyes widened and a broad smile appeared as she recognized him instantly. He was thinner than what she expected, but he looked handsome in his blue suit and white dress shirt sans a tie. She reached for him and they hugged briefly.

"You look really pretty, Laura," Tony said as he stepped back. He could see the slightest beginnings of cleavage at the top of her blouse as he looked her up and down with approval. She didn't have a model's figure, but she wasn't overweight either. Her build fit her frame nicely. She was exactly how he imagined her.

"You're sweet," she replied as she blushed from the compliment. "Thank you," she said in a hushed tone.

"I've got reservations for 6:30. I can get it moved up if you're hungry."

"No, I can wait."

"Can I get you a drink, then? I've got a seat at the bar."

"Sure."

Tony guided her to the bar where they sat down. He motioned to the bartender and a young woman came over to them. "What's your poison?" Tony asked.

Laura looked at Tony, then to the bartender. "Do you have Sam Adams?"

"I'm sorry, ma'am," she answered, "we don't carry that brand."

Disappointed, Laura said, "I'll have a rum and coke."

"Coming up, ma'am." She moved away to another part of the bar.

Laura reached into her purse and pulled out her billfold.

"No, no," Tony said, "put that away. This is my treat."

"But," she started to protest before Tony cut her off.

"My treat, I insist." Tony looked at her. "Look, if you don't put your money away, I'll bring out a spider and he'll make you put it away."

Laura giggled as she slowly put her billfold back inside her purse. It had been a running joke between them when Tony found out she was afraid of spiders. "Okay, okay," she laughed, "you win." She shook her head. "I swear, if we weren't in a public place, I'd slap you."

Tony laughed then and instantly felt his nervousness begin to leave. The butterflies were gone when he looked and saw Laura smiling at him. He took a sip from his drink. "You have a nice smile. I like it."

Laura tapped his arm. "You're going to spoil me with all the compliments."

"I don't know," he said while shaking his head, "but you're much prettier in person. Not that you take a bad picture," he added hastily.

The bartender arrived with Laura's drink and set it before her. Tony nodded his thanks and placed a five-dollar bill in front of him.

"You look very handsome yourself all dressed up in a suit," Laura remarked before she took a sip of her drink.

"Thanks," he replied softly.

"Do you always get this dressed up for dates or is this from your convention?" He was in town for a sheriff's convention.

"It's for you," he grinned. "We wear polo shirts and jeans for our meetings."

Laura returned the smile. "I never thought of you as a vodka person," she remarked while motioning to the clear liquid in his glass.

Tony laughed. "I'm not a vodka person. You probably won't believe what it is."

"Try me."

"It's peppermint schnapps."

"Really?"

Tony pushed the drink to her. "Here, take a sip."

Laura sniffed at it and concluded it was really peppermint schnapps. "And here, I thought all you cops loved beer." She pushed it back to him.

"I hate beer," he said roughly. "I've always hated beer and I always will hate beer."

"Well, don't hold back. Tell me how you really feel," Laura said.

Tony shook his head and grinned. "But I do like donuts!"

"You're silly."

They chatted easily for the next fifteen minutes until their table was ready. Tony helped her into her seat before sitting down across from her. The food was moderately priced and the selection was quite large. For the first time since she arrived, they were quiet as they pored over the menu. When the waiter arrived for their order, Laura chose pork chops with mashed potatoes and gravy and a salad, while Tony chose steak with a baked potato, green beans and a salad. They were offered wine, but both declined. After the waiter left, an awkward silence came over them as if the waiter's interruption had somehow taken away their ability to speak.

Tony eased back into his chair and looked at Laura. For a few moments, he studied her features, her blue eyes and the soft roundness of her face. He noticed the hint of dimples in her cheeks and her thin lips and immediately wondered how she liked to be kissed. His eyes traveled down to the beginning of her breasts and he tried to remember when he last kissed a woman there.

Laura watched him with interest as he seemed to be in his own world at that moment. It didn't upset her. In fact, it intrigued her that a man would find her that interesting and study her that intensely. His eyes were the same soft brown that melted her from the first picture she saw of him and she found herself returning his gaze. She could fall for those eyes. She was falling for those eyes. Laura smiled at the thought of being attracted to Tony. She certainly couldn't deny there was an attraction. What she really wanted to know was how attracted to her was he? She could only guess.

She cleared her throat lightly and smiled. Tony came out of his stupor and was immediately embarrassed.

"I'm so sorry," he stammered. "I didn't mean to stare. That was bad of me."

"Oh, it's okay," Laura replied. "I didn't mind. I'm glad to find that someone finds me that fascinating. You do find me fascinating, don't you?" she asked coyly with eyebrows raised. She then batted her blue eyes playfully at him.

Redness had crept into Tony's face by then and he couldn't hide it. "I find you very fascinating," he admitted sheepishly. It was Laura's turn to blush now.

"Good," Laura exclaimed, oblivious to the redness in her cheeks. "I wouldn't want you to be thinking of someone else."

"That would be highly unlikely." He took a sip of water and patted his mouth with a napkin. "I'm really glad you came. I wasn't sure if you would."

"I told you I would," Laura replied.

"I know, but it's a long trip just for supper with someone you don't know."

"I think I know you pretty well, Tony. I mean, it's not like we talk every day or see each other, but you're quite open in your notes and I've gotten a very good feel for what you're all about. Besides, I wanted to see you, so I'm glad I came." She paused for a second. "And it's not a long trip if the person is worth the drive."

"Was it a long trip?" he asked.

"Not long at all," she answered demurely before she took another sip of her drink. She looked at him over the rim of her glass and saw Tony gazing at her once again. A smile peeked from the corners of his mouth as he obviously enjoyed the sight in front of him.

Another period of quietness came between them, but this time, neither seemed to mind. Tony glanced about the dining area, checking for any unusual activity as was his custom, but his eyes always came back to the woman beyond the flickering candle that separated them. He liked her eyes. She had always described them as "dull" to him, but he found them full of life and expression. They danced when she smiled or laughed and they were quite appealing. Not dull at all, he thought to himself.

Soothing dinner music was playing in the background, but it was only one of a hundred sounds Tony pushed to the side. Laura's hands were under her chin and her elbows on the table. A warm smile was etched upon her face as she continued to watch him. If she was any other person, he might have been unnerved, but he found her gaze to be gentle and kind.

Their food arrived a few minutes later and Laura was almost disappointed in that fact. She was enjoying the quiet time they shared even if they didn't say much. The wonderful aroma of her dish overcame her, so she began to dig in.

They conversed throughout their meal, mostly about his convention and the meetings that went along with it.

"Doesn't everyone get together for dinner?" she asked midway through their meal. All of the conventions she heard about were like that.

"Yes."

"But, you're here with me. Shouldn't you be with the other officers?"

"I'm where I'm supposed to be," he replied. "I won't be missed."

Her puzzled look changed to concern. "Won't you get in trouble?"

He smiled. "The only trouble I see is seated across from me."

"What do you mean by that?" she demanded, her food forgotten.

Tony smiled and put his fork down. He reached across and took her hand and held it for a second or two before speaking. It was the first time he touched her since they hugged each other upon her arrival. "I think you know what I mean," he said softly.

Her expression softened at his revelation. "Yes, I think I do," she replied. He held her hand for a few more seconds. In her eyes, he seemed to look younger in the candlelight, much younger than his 45 years. His hand left hers much too soon as it returned to his utensil.

"Don't worry about where I should or shouldn't be," he said. "I don't have to be at their dinner. Besides, I told them I had other plans and it's okay."

"You're sure?"

Exasperated, Tony, sighed. "Yes, I'm sure, so no more talking about it, okay?" His soft eyes had grown a bit darker and his amused look was gone.

She could feel the slight sting in his voice and it hurt. Laura didn't feel she said anything wrong, yet he seemed angry with her. Looking down and away, she sighed. "I didn't mean to pry," Laura said almost inaudibly.

Tony put his fork on his plate and exhaled. "You weren't prying. It's just that it's okay for me to miss the dinner. I don't have to be there. I'm only required to attend the meetings, nothing more. I was at the breakfast and lunch today and it was boring as hell." He reached forward and took her hand again. "On the other hand, this is a much better dinner. Much better," he added.

Laura smiled sheepishly and shook her head from side to side. "Okay," she said, "no more questions about your dinner." She squeezed his hand. "Go ahead and eat before it gets cold."

A minute or two later, Tony asked, "So, what do your parents think about you coming to Toledo and meeting me?"

Laura thought for a second before answering. "I just told them I was meeting a friend for dinner. I didn't say who or where and they didn't ask."

"Oh," he replied, not knowing what to say.

"I mean, I've traveled distances before to meet people and they haven't cared one way or the other," she continued. "Anyway, as long as they can reach me on my cell phone, they don't mind."

"I thought they might put up a fuss and not want you to come."

"Well, I may live at home still, but I work, got my own pickup, and I give them money for rent. I can do pretty much as I please and they don't bother me too much."

"Would they bother you if they knew you were meeting me?"

"I really don't think they'd care one way or the other," she replied.

Tony nodded. "Good."

It was after seven-thirty when they finished. Dessert was declined by both and Tony paid the check. As they walked past the bar and toward the lobby, he turned to her. "What do you want to do now?" he asked.

"Why don't we walk around and talk for a while?"

"I'd like that," he replied.

To her surprise and delight, he took her hand and began to walk with her. They were quiet for a few minutes before they began to talk again. Their topics ranged from writing to cemeteries, Ohio presidents and their burial sites to the civil war and other times in history. They talked about places they had visited and wanted to visit, and they shared their thoughts about current events. By nine o'clock, their tongues were fatigued and it seemed as if only a few minutes had gone by instead of an hour and a half.

Linked arm in arm, they walked past the pool and exercise room. Tony was holding her close and could smell the remnants of her sweet perfume. It had been a wonderful evening and he hated to see it come to a close. "I wish you didn't have to leave so soon," he said when they reached the lobby once more. "I really enjoyed this evening." A boom of thunder could be heard overhead, but he paid no attention to it. It had been thundering periodically all evening long.

"I had a wonderful time, too," she replied softly, "but you have an early breakfast and I have a two-hour drive ahead of me." Laura glanced to the door and saw the rain coming down. She never did like driving in rain, especially at night. A flash of lightning appeared and more thunder sounded. "Anyway," she continued, fixing her gaze upon Tony, "I should go and let you get some rest."

"Oh, like I'll be able to sleep now," Tony laughed. "I'm not tired, by the way."

"But, I'm tired and I have a long drive ahead of me, so give me a hug and I'll be on my way."

Tony bent down and hugged her, a long, warm hug he normally reserved for his closest friends. Laura felt a sensual warmth go through her as she fought back tears. She truly didn't want to go, but she knew she couldn't and shouldn't stay any longer.

"I'm going to miss you," he whispered in her ear before kissing her cheek.

"I'm going to miss you, too," she sniffed. Laura kissed his cheek as well before hugging him fiercely once more. "We'll find a weekend when we can get together."

"Yeah," he replied as he let her go. "Call me when you get home so I won't worry."

"I will," she promised. Her blue eyes were misty.

Tony tried to smile. "Come on, I'll walk you to your pickup."

"Okay."

As they went through the first set of doors, they were surprised at the intensity of the storm. The rain was coming down in buckets and the wind was howling like wolves in the desert. Others were standing in the foyer as well watching the deluge.

"You shouldn't drive in this," Tony said.

"I don't want to, but I have to," Laura replied as she looked at the rain through scared eyes.

"I don't want you to drive in this," he said firmly, using his cop voice.

"I'll wait for a little bit and see if it calms down, but I can't wait too long," she said in reply.

They turned around and returned to the lobby and saw six or seven persons watching the television. As they got closer, they could see them watching news about the weather.

Tony155
Tony155
1,222 Followers