My Sister's Wedding

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DG Hear
DG Hear
5,713 Followers

"Hi John," said Jessie. She gave me a hug. "You get the book with cars and I get the one with angels."

We just talked and colored together. I don't know what made me say yes to this but I was enjoying it. Jessie just talked away about her pictures. She only used one color on each picture. She told me she liked to color that way. I did my best to stay within the lines. I can't say that about my little friend.

"My daddy is an angel," said Jessie. I wasn't sure what to say.

"Mommy says he my garring angel and looking over me."

"Yes, he probably is your guardian angel." I've never had to talk to a three year old about her dead father.

"I don't remember him but mommy said he was a good man. I have a pitcher of him holding me when I was a baby. It's by my bed."

She seemed to handle it pretty good. I was the one who was lost for words. I looked over at the door and my dad was smiling. He then turned and walked back to his chair.

"So, what do you like at McDonalds?" I asked.

"Kid's meal, it has chicken nuggets and French fries. I usually get orange drink. Mommy says it's better for me than pop."

Mom came in the room and looked at our pictures. I actually felt kind of silly. Why was I here? "Would you two like something to drink?" asked mom.

"Yes please," said Jessie.

Mom gave us each a glass of orange juice. I had to laugh out loud. Here I was the owner of his own company, sitting here with a little girl, who I really don't know all that well, coloring pictures and drinking orange juice. Unbelievable! Then it happened. Toni came in the front door. Now I knew why I was here. She smiled and hugged her daughter and gave her a kiss.

Jessie showed her the pitchers she colored. "Can I see your pictures John?" she asked but was laughing.

Jessie got up and went in the room to show my dad her pictures. Toni smiled at me and said, "Thank you John, you'll never know how much this means to her."

"My pleasure, she's a great little girl. I guess we better get ready to go to McDonoos." I had to laugh knowing that's what Jessie calls it.

We went in Toni's car since I didn't have a car seat. When we went up to the counter I picked Jessie up and said, "Tell the man what you want." The young man behind the counter didn't look very happy but Jessie was and that's all that counted in my book.

"Happy meal, chicken nuggets, French fries and orange drink," said a smiling Jessie.

"Will that be all?"

"Yes sir, tank you." Even the young man had to grin when he saw how polite Jessie was. Then Toni and I ordered our sandwiches.

We sat down and talked while we ate. I asked her the usual questions and about her husband. I did mention she didn't have to talk about it if she didn't want to.

"Oh, I don't mind. It's been a couple of years now. I met him while I was in college. We became good friends and dated some. He enlisted in the Air Force. He was called up to go to Kuwait. We wrote back and forth quite a bit and when he came home he said he would be finishing his military service in Nevada. That's where I was finishing my medical degree.

"I had a couple of years yet to go. We began dating again and he asked me to marry him. I said to heck with it and we got married. A few months later I became pregnant with Jessie. Shortly after her birth, I was still in school, but Brent, my husband, was called back to go overseas.

"He was killed when the jeep he was riding in hit a land mine. I knew something had happened. I felt horrible all that day. When I got home from school I received the horrible news. I went over to the crib, picked up Jessie and cried.

"My parents and my sister and brother came up for the funeral service we had for him. They asked me my future plans and I told them I was going to finish the school year out and then do my internship back in Ohio."

"What about Brent's family?" I asked.

"Brent's mother died when he was a teenager so he was raised by his father who was an alcoholic. It's why Brent joined the service in the first place. I met his dad once but he didn't even attend the funeral. I knew that he received word that Brent was killed because the service men told me. I also sent him a letter but he never replied.

"After that I moved back home and in with my mom and dad. Mom watched Jessie while I did my internship. After two years I was ready to be on my own. That's when I bought into the partnership with the Animal Clinic. Roy Wilson is in his sixties and didn't want to work as hard anymore.

"His daughter Theresa didn't want to do it all by herself. She's in her forties. I was lucky to become a partner there. My parents live in Canton and I see them every week but forty miles, one way, was too far to drive every day. That's when I bought the house next to your parents.

"They've been so wonderful to me and I love your whole family. Your mom and dad are like second parents to me and Chris is probably my best friend. That's why I couldn't refuse when she asked me to be her maid of honor. Besides, it's about time I got out a little more."

I had tears in my eyes when she finished her story. I took her hand and squeezed it. An elderly couple looked over at me and said, "You have a beautiful family."

I just said "Thank you" and smiled at Toni.

"Well, that's my life in a nutshell. Jessie and the clinic are pretty much my life. Any other questions?"

"As a matter of fact I do have one." I looked up and Toni was trying to hold back a smile. "Chris already told you didn't she?"

"Told me what?" Toni started laughing. "Are you wanting to ask me something?"

I knew she was going to make me ask even though she knew what it was. "I have a dinner engagement with a client and his wife tomorrow. Would you do me the honor of being my escort for dinner?"

"I'd be delighted. What should I wear?" She was laughing again.

"Clothes would be nice. I have a feeling you'd look good in about anything." I wasn't kidding, she just has that natural beauty.

"I'll pick you up at six. I promise to be at my best behavior."

About that time Jessie was done eating. "Mom, can John walk with us tonight?"

"He can if he wants to. It's time to leave now anyway."

Most every evening Toni walks and Jessie rides her tiny bike with training wheels on it. I decided that a little walk wouldn't hurt me and besides I liked being with them.

As we were walking Toni told me that she really didn't date much since the death of her husband. She did go out a couple of times but said she just didn't feel right. She didn't have any feelings one way or another for the few men she dated. None of them ever met Jessie but knew her husband was killed. She said she still wore her wedding ring so she wouldn't be bothered. She did say it still didn't stop some men.

I knew I had to be on my best behavior. I was hoping to maybe build a relationship with Toni. When I left for home that night Jessie gave me a hug. I told her maybe we could go to the zoo sometime. I saw Toni look up in the heavens. Oh, oh, I knew I did something wrong.

"When John? When can we go? I like aminols."

Toni looked at me. "John, whatever you say to her she takes to heart. She has no idea of time. Now she's expecting you to take her to the zoo."

"So, let's go to the zoo, say next Saturday. Sorry but you can explain to her when that is. I'll try to do better. You are going with us aren't you?"

She just shook her head and said, "Goodnight John."

Chris stopped in my office on Friday and asked if Toni agreed to go to dinner with me. I didn't even answer. I knew she had it all set up and probably even asked mom to watch Jessie.

On Friday I was right on time and so was Toni. Damn, she looked beautiful. "Doesn't Mommy look pretty?" said Jessie.

"Absolutely beautiful," I replied. It was the first time I had seen her hair not in a ponytail. Jessie ran in her bedroom and brought me the picture of her dad holding her that she told me about. I smiled at her and she went and put it back.

I explained to Toni that Jessie told me about the picture and said she would show it to me when I came over. "The little girl doesn't forget anything, does she?" Toni pointed to her calendar and Jessie had next Saturday marked to go to the zoo.

We walked Jessie next door to mom's. She told Toni how nice she looked and told me to treat her nice. I guess I was still mom's little boy.

We met Cliff Mayhew and his wife Ellen at the Red Lobster. After the introductions we ordered drinks and dinner. We did most of our talking about business before the dinner arrived.

I explained to the Mayhews about all the different web designs that were possible. There wasn't any design that we couldn't do. I asked what they didn't like about their present design.

Ellen looked over at Toni. "Toni, do you shop at our stores?"

"Yes, I have on occasion; I do some shopping on line."

"What do you think of our web site? I'm really interested in the truth," replied Ellen.

Toni looked over at me. I let her know to speak her mind. "To be honest, I find your site to be too cluttered. There is so much going on. My time is limited but when I go on line to buy something, I want to find it right away. I don't want to have to click on a half dozen things to buy a pair of pants.

"I would like to see a large spot where I can type in what I'm looking for, like the word 'pants' or 'shoes'. Then it takes me to what I'm looking for. No hassle and a lot quicker. I'm not saying that you can't advertise specials or discount items. Maybe a spot for special sales, but I just want to type in what I'm looking for and get there quickly."

"Exactly!" said Ellen. "I feel the same way. Shoppers can browse if they like but we need to make it easier and quicker for the busy shopper."

"Another thing I might mention to you. You have other search engines on your site. If a shopper types in shoes it takes them away from your site. You only need your own search engine on your site. Of course it's just my opinion."

"I like you Toni. I love a woman who tells it like it is. Do you work with John?"

"No, I'm a veterinarian. John and I are just good friends."

"Well you better hold on to her, John, she's a smart lady and beautiful too."

"I'll do my best," I said as I looked over at Toni. She was one wonderful and beautiful woman. I hoped everything would go well between us.

Cliff made an appointment for my team to come to his office the following week with plans to change his web site. We told him we could update it for him or show his computer people how to make changes after we finished setting up the program.

I think I have Toni to thank for this sale. She and Ellen hit it off beautifully. As we drove home I thanked her for going to dinner with me. I really did appreciate it. I walked her to my parents' door so she could pick up Jessie. I held her hands and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She smiled and walked into the house.

The whole next week I couldn't get her out of my mind. I didn't want to bother her every night because I knew she had a routine. She worked Monday through Friday till five thirty. She picked up Jessie and spent as much time as she could with her.

On Saturdays she worked till noon. That was the day I wanted to stop and see her. On Sunday she usually went to see her parents in Canton. Once in a while they would come and see her, she said.

On Wednesday night I called her to remind her about the zoo on Saturday. I know she wouldn't forget but I just wanted to hear her voice. When I called she said that Jessie reminds her every day. She takes out her crayon and marks off the day on the calendar.

I showed up at one o'clock on Saturday and they were ready to go. We put Jessie's car seat in my car so I would be driving. The day was great. Jessie was a lot of fun. We got her a stroller and I pushed her around the zoo in it. She loved the animals and I loved being with Toni.

"She really likes you," said Toni. "She's never taken to another man like she has you."

"I really like her too," I replied. "To be honest, I like her mother too. Do you think there's a chance we could start dating?"

"I think we already have," she said with a smile.

We stopped by the souvenir store and like every kid, Jessie wanted everything. "Don't spoil her John, she can have one item," said Toni.

She picked out a stuffed rhino and gave it a big hug. "Tank you John." She was always polite. I liked her little lisp; she always made me smile.

Jessie fell asleep as soon as we were in the car. Toni and I talked about the future. She told me what she hoped for and how Jessie was first in her life. I told her right now I didn't have a first person in my life but had a couple of good prospects. It got a smile from her.

She did let me kiss her lightly when we said goodnight. It really felt good. I didn't want to push things along to fast but I knew I was falling in love with both Toni and Jessie. I do have to admit I was afraid of getting burned. Toni seemed too good to be true, at least in my mind.

The following week I couldn't stop thinking about her. I wanted to see her but we hadn't made any plans. One of my clients had given me four tickets to a baseball game. They were club seats, which are some of the best seats available. I'm not a big sports fan. But I thought Toni might like to go.

I took a chance and called Toni at work. When she answered the phone she seemed surprised that I called her at work.

"Is everything all right, John?"

"Yes, sorry to call you at work but I have tickets to a baseball game for Saturday night and was wondering if you would like to go."

"I don't know John, I have to find someone to watch Jessie."

"No, we'll take her with us. She'll love it. We have the best seats in the house. I have four tickets and thought about asking dad to come with us."

"Are you sure you want to take Jessie? She is only three."

"Yes, I'm sure. So are we going?"

"Ok, I've never been to a baseball game before. This ought to be interesting. Call me tonight if anything changes. I have to get back to work. I have a puppy that needs my attention. Bye John."

I called dad and he loved the idea of club seats. I told him I was taking Toni and Jessie and had an extra ticket.

"Getting kind of fond of her aren't you John? I've seen you more in the last month than I have in the last year."

"Dad, I do care for her but I'll have to see if it works out. Dating a widow with a child is a new thing for me. My luck with women isn't the greatest."

"Don't worry John, something tells me this time it's different. Just take your time and it will all work itself out. Oh, and thanks for the game ticket. I'll do the driving, if you don't mind."

I called Toni back that evening and let her know dad was going and we would be leaving right after she gets home from work. I asked her if she told Jessie yet and she told me my dad told her after I had called him. She was excited and marked her calendar as soon as she walked in the house.

The game was great. As soon as we walked into the ball park I picked up Jessie and carried her. We had to stop at a souvenir stand. Dad bought Toni and Jessie a ball cap. Dad and I already had ours on.

Jessie was having a great time. She wanted a hot dog when the vendor came around. Toni told her she would share one with her. Dad and I got a beer and dad got his favorite, peanuts.

Jessie had no idea what was going on but was just having fun being there. I did get her a cotton candy but I had to help her eat it. About the fifth inning she came to me got on my lap and went to sleep. I swear it brought tears to my eyes. She woke up about the time the game was over. On the way out I wanted to buy her another souvenir, but Toni said she already got the hat.

"Dad bought her the hat. I want to get her something." I bet I sounded like a spoiled kid.

After smiling at me Toni said, "Ok, but only one thing. I mean it."

I lifted Jessie up and told her she could only get one item. She asked for an Indian Bobble Head doll. On the way home dad drove and I sat up front with him. It seemed like old times when I was young and went to games with my dad.

When we got home Jessie was asleep again. I lifted her out of the car seat and carried her to her bed. I laid her down, took off her ball cap, and put it on her Rhino she got from the zoo. Toni took her bobble head and set it on her dresser next to her Rhino. After removing her shoes, she decided to let her sleep in her clothes. It had been a long day.

She walked me to the door and I kissed her goodnight. Afterward she said there was something she wanted to talk to me about but it could wait. I knew she was tired and said goodnight.

I had to wonder what she wanted to talk to me about.

Chapter 3

I didn't get to see her the following Saturday. I had a client I had to see. I called her to say hi and ask her out the following Saturday but she told me she was going out with Chris, Cindy and Marie. They were doing some wedding planning.

By Monday I was missing her. I was still wondering what she wanted to talk to me about. Did she think we were getting too close? I guess I think the worst when it comes to me and women.

Helen came in the office and said one of our clients left us two tickets to another baseball game for the following Saturday. I already knew that Toni couldn't go and I wasn't that big of a baseball fan. I called my dad and asked him if he could use the tickets.

He said he could and maybe he would ask Jason, seeing he was going to be his new son in-law. He already knew the women were getting together. I told dad that I would drop the tickets off after work on Friday.

It was a busy week but I couldn't help thinking about Toni and Jessie. Around seven on Friday I stopped by dad's to drop off the tickets. I looked over and saw a strange car in Toni's driveway. I didn't say anything to dad because I didn't want to look concerned. Dad went to get us a couple of beers and I looked out the side window where I could see Toni's porch.

I saw a young man step out on the porch holding Jessie. Then Toni came out the door. She sure seemed happy. My stomach started to tie in knots. The man put Jessie down and she ran back into the house. About that time dad came out with the beers.

We began drinking and dad was talking but I wasn't hearing much of what he was saying. The doorbell rang and mom answered it. It was Toni with this man. They walked in and mom said, "Hi Tim, what brings you into town?"

"It's our mom's birthday and we came down to see her."

Toni spoke, "I saw John's car pull up and I wanted to introduce him to Tim."

Dad and I walked into the room, my stomach still in knots. Toni did the introduction. "Tim, you wanted to meet John. Here he is. John this is my brother Tim."

A big spasm of relief just entered my body. I quickly regained my senses and shook his hand. I think Toni spotted my actions.

"We were wondering if you are free on Sunday. It's our mother's birthday and they are having a cookout. Apparently a little girl has been talking a lot about you and my family would like to meet you," said Toni.

"Sure, I'd love to meet your family. What time do you want me to pick you up?"

Tim spoke, "We are going to mom's tomorrow and taking Jessie with us since Toni is going out with your sisters. Mom figured we could start the cookout around noon. It's takes about an hour to get there."

About that time the doorbell rang again. Mom opened it and in ran Jessie followed by a woman and two other little kids. "I'm sorry but she said she wanted to see John." Jessie ran to me and I picked her up.

"John this is my wife Dee and my two kids Mike and Pat, they're five and six. You'll meet my sister and her two kids Sunday. They are coming in tomorrow. It was nice meeting you John. I guess we better get back over to Toni's."

DG Hear
DG Hear
5,713 Followers