New Kingdom: American Court Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MicKay
MicKay
639 Followers

"Don't tell me about our people," Gabriel threatened. "Keep them alive. After the meeting with the Council, I will either come to you or send a directive on their future."

After the men had departed, Gabriel and Alena remained on the couch silently processing the new information. Gabriel regretted that he may not live to use the facts to find the forces behind the destruction of the New Kingdom. Alena regretted that she may not live to save the children from being terminated as useless scientific garbage.

She leaned against his shoulder and felt better just from touching him. Everything in her revolved around Gabriel. Although she was proud of Iona's fierce resolution to rescue them from death, she hoped her sister would not be greatly disappointed if she failed.

"If," she said aloud. "Gabriel, do you think we'll live through the night?"

Staring at his mate, he tried to find the words to console her while still telling the truth.

"I do not know for sure but the law is rigid in its requirement. Yet, I feel that it's not time for us to die."

Smiling at his answer, Alena snuggled closer to him.

"Good, I didn't want to hear that you were sure of our fate. This," she said squeezing tight to him, "feels right. And I have to believe that there was a purpose for us having to wait eight years, finding these children, and the fact that you've bitten the hell out of me and I'm still not a full vampire."

Before Gabriel could answer, a loud knock sounded at the door. After Gabriel's invitation, one of the guards standing post at their entrance, walked in and informed them that he had been ordered to escort them to the Council.

"That was quick," Alena responded.

"All part of Edward's plan," Gabriel replied standing and assisting Alena to stand beside him.

"Should I change clothes?" she asked.

"Hell no. These people are trying to decide whether or not to execute us. And if so, when and how. Who cares how we're dressed."

"Ok," she said, "then I guess I'm ready."

The couple remained silent while on the elevator and walking down the corridor. Neither spoke until they entered a set of double doors on a wing that Alena had not seen during her stay at the mansion. Once they entered the room, Alena paused at the sight before her. She had expected either a medieval arena of stone and dirt or a replica of the American judicial she knew with judge, jury and witness stand.

Entering the room, they immediately stood before their judges, all fifty of the vampires, who were seated in a balcony in the room. Edward and Iona were on the main level as were Helen and an old man. Glancing at Edward and Iona, Alena could not read their expression to indicate any mood of hope or despair. When she looked at Gabriel for support, she noticed that he was glaring at the old man sitting beside Helen.

Following his gaze, she wondered if this man could possibly be the brother, Heron, who was now demanding Gabriel's death. Looking back at Gabriel, she saw his minimal movement similar to a nod and accepted his reply to her question. Approaching a banister in the center of the room, Gabriel pulled her behind him so that he was presented to the audience alone.

"I am Gabriel Philandros of the Third Creation, a loyal subject to the New Kingdom. As written in the law I accept your decision of my fate."

One of the men stood in the balcony and with a look of regret, took the lead on the ceremony.

"Gabriel, you have been accused of killing the emissary of your brother, Heron, king of the Asian Court. If you are convicted of this crime, your death could be requested by Heron. How do you plea?"

"Guilty."

"But you were saving me," Alena whispered behind his back.

Tightening his grip on her arm, Gabriel shook his head to silence her.

"Heron," the man in the balcony continued. "Gabriel has admitted his guilt. His punishment is decided upon your request."

After several moments of silence, Alena sneaked a peek around Gabriel's broad shoulders to see what was happening. All eyes were on the old man, Heron, who had yet to look up from his lap.

"Heron," the man in the balcony said, "do you request the Council to give Gabriel's death sentence."

When the man continued to remain silent, Helen growled and nudged him with her elbow. In a gasp of exasperation, she looked at all eyes in the balcony, then to Edward and finally Gabriel.

"My dear friends," she said in a melodic voice, "as you can see, my dear king, who is also your friend and brother, is distressed over this case. But in support of the laws of the New Kingdom, he has traveled to America to represent not only the cause of right but also his poor emissary that was brutally murdered by the hands of General Philandros as witnessed by myself and three others present on this floor."

With each word she spoke, Heron made small motions until he was glaring at Helen.

"Heron," the man in the balcony said, "we appreciate your advocate's presentation but you must make the request."

"Do it!" Helen hissed.

"I am Heron and I," he paused when his voice broke, "request my brother's death sentence."

When he finished, he dropped his head into his hand and sobbed.

"I am Edward, King of the American Court. Gabriel has been my official delegate for the last ninety-seven years. As it is in my authority, I challenge the request, not as the lawful judgment but as protection for my court."

"On what grounds would your challenge protect the court?" another man in the balcony asked.

"Heron's man had brought infected blood into my home, contaminated my mate," he said motioning to Iona. "He escaped before we could contain him. Then, he returned with this woman, uninvited, to my home. When Gabriel and I found them, Cassian was about to murder Gabriel's mate. Cassian and this woman represent the evil that our people are battling. If I release Gabriel into their custody, then they would have access to everything Gabriel knows about the American Court."

"What is it your request of us, Edward?" another man in the balcony asked almost sounding hopeful.

"That his death sentence be given here. Now."

"What?!" Alena asked behind Gabriel's back.

"No!" Helen growled at the same time.

Murmurs vibrated throughout the room. Only the three brothers remained perfectly silent with Gabriel and Edward staring at Heron. Almost in slow motion, Heron raised his head and with a shake of his head, smiled at Edward and then at Gabriel. He looked at Helen whose posture was slightly hunched as though she were about to strike a physical attack.

Her appearance was quickly changing from seductress to an aggressive opponent. She inhaled and exhaled loudly through her mouth and her eyes glowed in hatred. Clenching her hands, she pointedly glared at Edward.

"Give us Gabriel or give us the children," she demanded with a feral growl.

"No," Edward answered with his winning smile. "We will not give you the children and if you insist on taking Gabriel's life, then it will happen here and by my hand."

"You fucking bastard!" she roared. "The master will not tolerate failure!"

"Then I would hate to be you," Iona said for the first time since the hearing began.

Finally, Heron rose from his chair and walked to center of the room. Turning to face the balcony, he stood straight and cleared his throat.

"My friends, I have failed as king of the Asian Court. I allowed this woman to seduce me with promises of greatness. Her promises did not consist of threats against my brothers but guarantees of strengthening the court that I already owned."

Her paused again shuddering with a sob. Embarrassed, Alena dropped her eyes not for pity of him but in respect to the two brothers that had to witness and suffer from this treachery.

"I have been enslaved in my home by my greed. You see the man I have become. I now have less power than before and have no offer other than relinquishing my throne."

"No," Edward said firmly. "Heron, finish this matter and then all brothers will meet to discuss your treason."

"I, Heron, king of the Asian Court, request that Gabriel not be punished for the death of Cassian."

"No!" Helen screamed. "You pathetic creature. The master chose you because you are so weak. Now, you're too weak to finish the last step."

"Silence," said one of the men in the balcony. "As Heron has requested, the Council will agree. Gabriel Philandros, general of our armies, the request of your life sentence has been withdrawn therefore, you will remain free."

"Give me my children!" Helen demanded. "I am their mother. These men stole them from my people."

After a few moments of silence, several members of the Council whispered together. When they were finished, one man stood up and addressed Edward.

"Edward, these children pose a threat to our people. We believe the threat should be removed."

"Sir," Gabriel said, "If you permit, I will remove the threat immediately."

Receiving nods from various members of the Council and Edward, Gabriel waited until he received his orders.

"Yes, Gabriel, do as you deem," a member of the Council said.

Turning immediately, Gabriel grabbed Alena's wrist and quickly headed for the exit. Passing through the doors, they could hear Helen scream as she opposed the ruling and apparently was taken back into custody. Gabriel sped through the corridors almost dragging Alena in his haste. When she tripped and nearly fell, he stopped to steady her and then lifted her in his arms. Racing through the mansion, he stopped when they entered the treatment room where the children slept.

"Have you done as I asked?" Gabriel barked at the same medical supervisor.

"Almost there," the man answered nervously. "Which one do you want first?"

"The girl," Gabriel replied guiding Alena to sit in a chair.

In a daze, she watched the man open the incubator and remove all IVs and tubes from little Abigail and lift her gently in his arms. When he approached Alena, she looked at Gabriel in confusion.

"They will not be allowed to continue living as long as they are a threat," he started explaining. "Baby, I'm sorry but this is the only solution we have to try to save them."

With his preternatural speed, he lifted her wristed to his mouth and after a swipe of his tongue across her skin, he sank his fangs into her flesh. Alena stared in horror as the blood escaped his lips and flowed from the wound.

"Feed them," he ordered.

As the man placed Abigail in her arms, she hesitated not sure how she should proceed. Gently Gabriel moved her wrist to the small child's mouth allowing the blood to flow between the small, pale lips.

Holding the little body close to her, she looked at the paper thin skin and blinded eyes, verifying her fragile health. Afraid that the baby would start choking on the first food to enter her mouth, Alena eagerly watched for signs of distress so that she could quickly pull away. In awe, she watched the lips move pushing the blood into her mouth and down her throat. Mesmerized by the child, she nearly fell out of the chair when Gabriel pulled Abigail from her arms and placed Joshua there.

"A little should be enough. His turn," he said cradling the girl against his chest and turning his back to her.

Realizing that he was trying to protect her if the process did not work, Alena focused on the small boy and held her wrist gently to his mouth. After a few seconds of no response, she gently kissed his pale forehead and spoke to him.

"Joshua, please try to feed. We need to save you."

Tears filled her eyes as the small lips moved and latched on to her wrist greedily sucking at the nourishment she offered.

"Alena," Gabriel said quietly, "you're not going to believe this."

Slowly he turned around walking towards her.

In his arms, he held an infant girl with healthy, soft pink skin. As he moved beside Alena, Abigail twisted her head and looked at her with glittering black eyes. Gabriel's eyes. Glancing down in her arms, Alena watched Joshua's eyes darken as he looked at her.

"All they needed was our blood," Gabriel explained. "My blood that was in your body completed the experiment. Your human blood," he said with a smile, "ruined it."

MicKay
MicKay
639 Followers