New Kingdom: European Court Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MicKay
MicKay
639 Followers

The two sat in silence for several minutes as they prepared for the next part of their lives.

"I guess I should go see Abs and Mom," Joshua finally said. "Dad, when this is over .... I mean, after this battle, I need to talk to you about ... uh, stuff."

"I have served as advisor and confidant to the rulers of the New Kingdom and I would consider it a privilege to serve you," Gabriel said simply before adding "but as you father, I'm telling you to stay away from her."

"Who?"

"The pretty young housekeeper."

"What?! I'm not ... how would you know ...god, can't a guy have a little privacy around here?" the flustered boy asked quickly standing.

"Calm down," Gabriel chuckled. "I'm not listening to your thoughts. I hear hers."

"So she's interested?"

"I said stay away from her. I could end it before it started."

"How?"

"Tell your mother."

"Jeez!" the boy exclaimed. "She's a bit protective, isn't she? I think she's having a hard time adjusting to the changes," he added motioning to his maturing body.

"It's not the changes. It's the fear of losing you. How much do you know about her human life?" Gabriel asked.

"Nothing. I guess I figured it was forgotten."

"She holds on to the memories out of fear. A fear so strong that I can't begin to fight it," Gabriel started. "When I first met her, she was so frantic. She had lost her parents and was a legal guardian to a dying brother and rebellious sister."

"Iona? I can see that."

"She had a different name as a human but was publically pronounced dead so Edward gave her a new name."

"And Mom?"

"Same name. Little changed about her. She's just less fragile now."

"So what does her human past have to do with being afraid of losing us?" Joshua asked.

"For a few weeks in her human life, she thought everything would have a happy ending. She would always miss her parents but her siblings would be fine under my protection and then, within a matter of hours, I was gone and her brother died soon after. She and Lia, or Iona I should say, ended up with a compromise but then she disappeared and your mother was alone."

"But you and Iona are here now. Happy ending."

"It's not the same," Gabriel said quietly. "I left once. And no matter how many promises I make, she fears that I will leave again. She's almost hysterical when I block our mental contact. And her sister, although much improved in my opinion, is not the same person."

Joshua stared at his father for a few seconds before grinning and saying, "I got it. Stick it out a little longer. No more whiskey."

"Do you have any idea what's in it?"

"It satisfies a craving that I can't explain," Josh answered. "And after I drink it, I don't know, it's like I know the answer before I hear the question."

Gabriel nodded and retrieved the box that Joshua had thrown earlier. "Keep this close but hidden from your mother and sister," he said. "And the other part, we will talk soon but right now I need to meet with my brothers and face their wrath."

"Hey, consider it a prelude of the battle to come."

"Yeah," Gabriel answered and sighed, "I'm actually growing tired of this way of life."

"It will end soon," a mature sounding voice said. "And then you can rest."

Gabriel's head snapped up and stared at his son. Surveying the room, he was assured that they were still alone. Then he looked at his son assessing the changes in the boy's physical stature.

"In my life," Gabriel started, "time has a different value than it has for humans. It merely provides a schedule but now, looking at you and hearing your voice, I finally understand your mother's concerns."

"What's wrong with me?"

"Wrong? Oh, I wouldn't say anything is wrong. But I imagine your recent growth spurt has conflicted with her human experience. Alena hasn't left the house since the time you were attacked. How do you have clothes that fit?"

"Antony's employees. When they clean the room or bring us food, they ask if we need anything."

"Any they buy your clothes?"

"Nah. They're used but that's ok. I need replacements every day."

"Do you remember when this started?"

"When I started drinking your, uh, the whiskey," Josh confessed with a grin.

"Then definitely stop drinking now. I suddenly feel ancient."

As the two walked to the door, Gabriel hesitated and handed his son the second soda can. "If she asks for it, then share. It will probably help Abigail and you through the night. Tell your mother that I will see her soon."

After separating from his son, Gabriel walked down the hall quietly summoning his brothers and chuckling at the protests and outbursts each shared in return. When their voices quieted in his head, he finally requested their presence once again in the library. No matter how disgruntled they were, he had total confidence of their loyalty in battle. This war was theirs to fight but their reign was speeding to an end. He knew that piece of information would not be accepted well.

Continuing through the mansion, Gabriel paused at the doors to one of the guest suites. He wondered how he could have missed this visitor's arrival. With a grin and shake of his head, he detoured from his path to the library and walked into the room without a courtesy knock.

"I don't have to ask if Edward knows about this," Gabriel said to the man standing in the room. "He's not going to be happy."

"Why should I care if he's happy when he doesn't care if I'm bored," the man replied. "He leaves me to deal with the boring Americans while he rushes off to fight. I'm the soldier. He's a...."

"Brother of the Third Creation?"

"I was going to say diplomat," the man said in quick defense.

"Of course you were," Gabriel said with a laugh. "Damn, Phillip, I'm glad to see you even if Edward will explode when he finds out. How is everything is the States?"

"Boring. I was not exaggerating," Phillip replied. "Rebels were gone before you left and the others are too scared to venture from the norm. They're like robots! Damn I miss the good old days. Do you know that the last adventure I had was finding those kids?"

"Quite an adventure," Gabriel murmured.

"So how are they? Growing?" Phillip asked. "I don't remember how humans change. Are they walking? Talking?"

"And then some," Gabriel answered. "You will be quite surprised how those sick little babies have grown."

"And your mate? She is well?"

"As good as can be expected with all of this chaos surrounding her. Alena deserves better. I had wanted to give her so much more."

"And you will my friend," Phillip replied. "I'm here now. Point me to the enemy and let me fight."

After a few moments of silence, Gabriel finally said, "Actually, I have a request for you. Before you say no, let me thoroughly explain what it is."

*****

In the library, Edward paced the room while Tec and Antony discussed the possible reasons for this latest gathering. Ignoring the others' discussion, Edward stopped in his tracks and cocked his head to the side as though listening throughout the house.

"That son of a bitch!" he exclaimed as Gabriel walked into the room.

"Calm down," Gabriel responded. "He left the next best man in charge. I trained him myself so I can attest to his strength."

"I don't know if you understand how it works but there's a certain amount of required diplomacy that your soldiers lack."

"Ah damn it, Edward," Tec finally interrupted. "What the hell is wrong now? You've been pissed at Antony since you arrived and now Gabriel is on your list?"

Edward collapsed in the nearest chair and rubbed his hands over his face. He finally looked at his brothers and said, "I'm sorry. To both of you. Since we arrived here, I have this feeling like ... I don't know....this was a bad idea."

"How?" Antony asked.

"I feel like I'm losing control. Losing everything. I don't know how to explain it. But I can't seem to stop whatever is happening."

"I know what you mean," Tec replied. "I've been fighting the urge to grab Gloria and bid adieu. And you know I'm not a coward. We used to live for this."

"Gabriel," Edward turned to his silent brother. "Are we going to survive this battle?"

"We will survive but some things will be altered when we're finished."

"Altered how?" Antony asked.

"That's why I called you here," Gabriel started. "We need to consider the possibility of accepting the surrender of those who are now with the Panthralges."

"Ah fuck," Edward groaned leaning his head against the back of his chair.

*****

In the underground temples of the Panthralges lair, angry voices echoed through the tunnels. As the volume increased servants scattered seeking shelter from the masters' rage. Too many had been sacrificed because they had been conveniently within the Panthralges' grasp.

"You arrogant mutt," one graveled voice railed. "How could you have been so clumsy?"

"Clumsy?" the offended one snapped. "This encounter was inevitable. How else could we take their kingdoms?"

"You should have called us as soon as the armies started arriving, Kabah," the third criticized.

"Called you from what, Hamak? Killing and raping the humans in the country? I have created and maintained an army to fight for us while you and Ponfa pillaged the cities."

"How much of an army could you possibly have?" Ponfa questioned. "You've lost several blood clubs so the newest changelings are destroyed with no plan of replenishing. Your one human servant failed to kill the right girl."

"Let's not forgot," Hamak added, "that when the correct human girl was finally captured, she managed to escape out of your prison without your knowledge."

"How dare you?" Kabah raged. "I have built this kingdom on my own and you have done nothing to strengthen it. How could I have known that she had special gifts? You found her," he said pointing Ponfa, "How is it you did not discover her talent?"

"She was a useless human wanting international study credit. It was to our benefit that she was also a student at the same university that sponsored this excavation," the Panthralges answered.

"Brothers," Hamak interrupted, "we need to assess the situation and build our defense. Can we estimate the size of their army?"

"No," Kabah answered. "They move in groups. None large. And not all arrive at the front door."

"General Philandros is a proven warrior. He will have the best at his disposal."

"Proven he may be but he will die tonight for killing Nafar at the American Court," Kabah said.

"Nafar was weak but I'm not sure he was the weakest," Ponfa replied with a look directed to the throne.

"We will call the others."

"We have but they may not arrive in time. "

"What should I do?" Kabah asked quietly.

"Get the girl," Hamak answered. "It is Melchiorre's weakness."

"I won't fail. What are you going to do?"

"Destroy Gabriel Philandros," Hamak answered walking toward the exit.

"How?" Kabah called after him.

"By capturing his weakness," he Panthralges voice echoed through the temples.

*****

Emma sat on the floor in the living room. She glanced around the furnishings of the apartment that she now shared with Antony. The space was the only thing they shared now. Since escaping the underground prison, Emma had once again become invisible. Antony had servants providing everything she needed but his hospitality was no replacement for his presence. She missed the innocent glances that she would catch as he watched her walk to and from her office. Those moments seemed so long ago. Everything was different now.

She loved a man that was not human. A man, who had rescued her at birth, had assumed being her savior once again. Now, she waited in a mixture of anticipation and dread. While everything in her wanted to be with him, she feared the unknown future waiting for them. She jumped when a quick rap on the door announced Iona's entrance.

"Hey, Emma," Iona greeted. "You ok?"

"Yes. I guess so."

"The entire house is rigid from the all of the tension. If Edward doesn't kill something soon, he's going to snap. I thought he would attack Gabriel when he called another meeting."

"Another meeting," Emma repeated. "I thought Antony was just avoiding me."

"Maybe he is," Iona said and held up her hands. "Let me explain. He has had no control where you've been involved. Tonight, he needs to be his true self, Antony Melchiorre, and not the lover seeking his damsel in distress."

"Are you scared?" Emma asked bluntly.

"Yes, but not for the obvious reasons," she answered sitting on the floor with Emma. "I trust Gabriel. I trust him with the lives of everyone I love," Iona said and then paused before continuing, "I'm scared because Edward is scared."

"He doesn't trust Gabriel to lead this battle?"

"He does trust him. That's not why he's scared."

"Why is he scared?"

"I don't know. I believe he doesn't know. But something has upset him. He's normally calm and very level headed."

"I don't think he likes Antony too much," Emma offered.

"That's what I mean," Iona explained. "These brothers are very close. More than friends. But since we arrived, he's been almost nervous."

"I didn't think vampires got nervous."

"Oh honey, we experience all emotions," Iona explained with a wicked grin. "Passion is our best but we can be sad, happy, anything."

"Iona," Emma whispered, "I'm nervous too. About, you know, changing?"

"Ah, of course you are. And because I technically changed twice I should be able to give some advice but, sorry, I jumped in with both feet and no regrets," Iona said standing to her feet.

"How could you have no regrets?"

"Because," she answered walking to the door, "both times, Edward was there waiting for me."

******

In the library, Gabriel wanted to exhale a sigh of relief but was afraid the sound would reignite another round of arguments. His brothers were finally discussing a plan of action which meant they had accepted the inevitable. Some former enemies, who requested asylum from the Panthralges, would be granted shelter under the New Kingdom.

Edward was now advising the others on proper steps for creating a council. He offered advice on which parts of his experience were profitable and the ones he would suggest they avoid. By the end of the meeting, everyone was in agreement although not enthusiastically. Tec finally announced that they needed to adjourn so each man could return to his mate.

As the library doors opened, Gabriel felt the mental pull that kept him in his seat until Tec and Antony left the room. When they were alone, he looked at Edward and waited on the conversation that he knew would follow.

"So this is it?" Edward asked in a quiet voice. "The kids will take everything from us?"

"They are not taking anything," Gabriel explained. "Their prophecy is to ..."

"I know how their fucking horoscopes read, Gabriel! I want to know why? What happens to us? Did we fuck up that bad?"

"Why? Because it was written. We will stay out of their way. And the answer to your final question," he said meeting his brother's gaze, "is yes."

"What happens when the others find out?"

"I don't know what they will do," Gabriel said standing. "But I can promise you this. No one will interfere with them. I will kill to protect them."

As Gabriel walked to the door, Edward reached and held him by the arm.

"As I live, I will too."

Walking quickly from the room, Gabriel climbed the stairs fighting the urge to leap to the top. He moved through the halls hoping no one would stop him or even delay his pursuit. After the stress of the day's planning and anticipation of the upcoming fight, only one thing would satisfy the craving quickly consuming him.

"Alena? Alena, baby, meet me in our rooms. I've finally managed to finalize all...."

He paused when he opened the door to his apartment. Standing a few feet in front of him was his only reason for existence. No matter how much he loved his son and daughter, this woman gave him a purpose to continue every day. Eventually, he would no longer be needed to assist the rulers of the New Kingdom and he could finally have a life with his mate.

But now, at this exact moment, he would take whatever they could share in the precious time they were granted. Dressed in a long, dark blue robe, she gracefully walked to him. Her dark hair shined under the soft lights in the room. For as long as he had loved her and as beautiful as she was to him, Gabriel's breath caught when she lifted her gaze to his.

Deep in her dark eyes, he found the answers to everyone's questions. Her fears had been replaced by something greater. Something stronger. Something that she would now share with him.

"How much time do we have?" she asked in her soft voice.

"Never enough," Gabriel answered pulling her hard against his body.

MicKay
MicKay
639 Followers
12