Night Moves

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Friends helping each other with a problem. We're already best friends; we can be best friends with benefits. You know sort of like that Bob Seger song, 'Night Moves'." She grinned at me and softly sang, "I used her, she used me but neither one cared. We were gettin our share." Rocky stopped singing and waited for my reaction When I just sat there she asked, "How about it big guy, want to see my bedroom?" .

I sat in deep thought for a long time, almost 3 seconds. "Love too," I replied and followed her into the bedroom.

**********

Six months later and our friends with benefits relationship was working and going strong. It continued until the end of the school term and through the summer. We didn't sleep together every day or even every week. When one of us got horny or wanted to take the edge off we would call and schedule a meeting of what Rocky called the "BFU", or Best Friends Unanimous.

September rolled around and we were back in school. The BFU continued its meetings. About the first of October the meetings slowed down. Rocky had dated a few guys but seemed to be serious about the latest one, Steve. She went on several dates with him which was unusual.

We still called each other and sometimes went out for a pizza or burgers but there were few overnighters. After the second month of Rocky and Steve there were no more meetings of the BFU.

"It just wouldn't feel right with Steve in the picture, you know?" Rocky said during one of our pizza nights. Steve's a good guy Jason," she suggested. "I wish you'd let me introduce you two." She looked at me hopefully but I shook my head.

"No, I don't think so Rocky. If I met the guy that's grabbed the interest of my best friend, I'm sure I'd like him. And the last thing you two need is me hanging around. Let it be Rocky."

The real reason I didn't want to meet Steve was that I'd done a stupid thing; I fell in love. Normally this wouldn't be a bad thing but the person I fell in love with was Rocky. I just knew if I told her how I felt; the BFU would cease to exist. But what scared me more was that our friendship might cease to exist too.

I debated with myself and told myself not to be a wimp. Carpe Diem or Seize the Day, Who Dares Wins, and other mottos and platitudes came into my head. I should tell Rocky how I feel, I thought for the hundredth time. Problem was that she might not feel the same way. It might freak her out and I would lose her completely.

Stephanie's actions still bothered me in a way. It cause me to distrust women; Rocky was the exception. I had and was dating but I couldn't see myself with any of them past maybe another date. Guess it came down to the fact that I'd rather have her as my friend than to be without her. I convinced myself that having Rocky in my life was enough right now.

All my rationalizations and justifications for keeping quiet worked fine until Rocky had started dating Steve exclusively.

When Stephanie and I broke up, I was down for a while but I would have come out of it. I wouldn't have spent months or years, pining away. Rocky just accelerated the recovery. It wasn't until I thought about losing her friendship that I realized how much she meant to me.

I didn't sit at home breathlessly waiting for Rocky to call; a select few young ladies spent the night at my place. But I couldn't stand the idea of losing Rocky's friendship. I don't know that I was obsessed with her but maybe so. Because my dates were out of my mind as soon as they were out of my apartment.

Rocky dated Steve and only Steve for about two months. They were together three or four nights or days a week. During that time she would call at least once a week to talk but we only got together twice. During the second of our increasingly rare meetings of the BFU Rocky told me that she hadn't sleep with Steve yet but she was thinking about it. Both times she called me, Steve was out of town. I had stopped calling her.

"Who's keeping you occupied Jason?" Rocky asked one evening when we met for pizza and beers; Steve was busy that night. "Usually you call me if I don't call you so you must have a honey hidden somewhere."

I smiled and shook my head. "Don't want to jinx it Rocky. I'll tell you one of these days but not now." I couldn't tell her that the reason I don't call her is because I love her. I couldn't tell her that knowing she was developing feelings for Steve was killing me?

Two weeks later I got a call from Rocky. "How about burgers tonight?" She asked.

"What about Steve?"

"I'm not talking about a meeting of the BFU; just two friends having dinner." There was a wistful tone in her voice.

"Okay, I'll meet you at Tulley's at 6:30 but you're buying the beer," I teased her.

Tulley's was a neighborhood bar and grill just far enough off campus not to be dominated by students. The customers were most blue collar types and their families that lived nearby. I got to Tulley's at 6:15 and Rocky was already there. She waved from a booth in the back to get my attention.

She had a bottle of beer in her hand and there were two sitting on the table. "You're one behind so you better catch up."

I sat down and drank about half of a beer. "So what do you want to talk about Rocky?"

She looked down at the table as she making circles with her bottle. "Why have you stopped calling me Jason? Did I do something to make you mad?"

Now it was my turn to look down at the table. I peeled the label off the beer bottle in bits and pieces. Shaking my head I turned the beer up and drank the other half.

"C'mon buddy, talk to me," Rocky prompted.

I took a deep breath and let it out. Should I tell her the truth? I asked myself silently. I could say that I was worried that Steve wouldn't understand the relationship between Rocky and me. I could say that I was only thinking of her and Steve. She would know that wasn't the real reason. I'd never been much good at lying and especially not to Rocky.

"Jason?" Rocky prompted again. "C'mon if best buddies can't be straight with each other then maybe they're not best buddies. Talk to me Jason."

I gave a big sigh; I was caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. If I told Rocky the truth I might lose her as a friend. If I didn't tell her, I might lose her as a friend. Not talking was a no win situation. Stop being such a wuss, I told myself. At least if I told her how I feel about her I'd still have a chance to keep her friendship.

"Okay Raquel, you win. I'll tell you what's on my mind," I replied. "But you have to let me finish before you say anything. No questions, no interruptions. Just sit there and listen. Okay?"

Rocky smiled at the use of her real name and nodded. I took a pull on the second beer; the first one had magically disappeared. "I'm in love with you Rocky." I held up my hand to stop her from interrupting. "That's the reason I didn't want to meet Steve. As long as I didn't know him I could think he was just passing through, so to speak. I could think that you'd eventually shine him on and I'd have you all to myself again."

The waitress came over to check on us. I thought about getting a triple bourbon but decided that was the last thing I needed right now; maybe later. "When you helped me get passed Steph I let myself get closer to you. At first I told myself it was just because I was hurting. I thought maybe you were like a rebound date and I didn't want to hurt you. Then I realized that you weren't just a rebound romance."

Rocky opened her mouth to say something. "Hush, you promised," I ordered. "And no, the full realization didn't come when we started Best Friends Unanimous. It came when you started dating Steve. For the first time I thought about losing what we had, about losing you. That's why I haven't called you lately, I didn't want to hear you talk about Steve and how you were beginning to think he was special."

She smiled and raised her hand like a kid in school for permission to speak. I nodded and she asked, "Why didn't you tell me how you felt? Don't you think that's something I'd like to know?"

"This is gonna sound really dumb," I answered. "If I did I thought you might be uncomfortable spending time with me. I was afraid that if you knew how I felt I'd lose your friendship. Pretty stupid huh?"

"Why tell me now?"

"Because you pushed it," I replied with a little heat. "You just had to know why I'd stop calling as much." Rocky looked a little shocked. "But that's not the only reason," I added.

She raised her eyebrows in a question. "The British SAS has a motto; Who Dares Wins. I figured what the hell. If I lose you to Steve or lose you because of how I feel, what's the difference? I'd still lose you. At least this way I've got a shot at keeping your friendship."

I waved the waitress over and ordered another beer for Rocky. "For you too?" The waitress asked. "No bring me a triple Jack Daniels on the rocks. No water." On second thought I could use a drink, I told myself.

Turning back to Rocky I asked, "So now what? Did I freak you out entirely?"

The waitress returned with the drinks and Rocky took a big swallow before she answered.

"No you didn't, freak me out, as you say," she said with a small grin. "You see besides wanting to know why you hadn't called I have something I wanted to tell you." Rocky stopped and looked at me, her grin getting bigger.

"Steve's history," she told me. "I won't be seeing him again."

"What?"

"I shined him on, as you so deftly put it," she said. Now she held up her hand to stop me from talking. "The reason I stopped is that I feel the same way about you. I love you Jason."

Picking up my drink, I took a big hit on it. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I'm as big an idiot as you," she replied. "You were still hurting from that Stephanie thing and I didn't want to scare you away. Why do you think I came up with the idea of the BFU?" Rocky looked at the shock on my face. "I thought it might be a good way to show you how I felt." She chuckled. "But you didn't take the hint, you just accepted my reasoning."

Stunned and speechless, I knocked back my drink. Then I smiled. "Where do we go from here Raquel?"

************

So as I sit here waiting for Rocky on our first anniversary. We are going to have dinner and stay in the bridal suite to celebrate. For a year after our little meeting at Tulley's we were never more than a phone call away from each other. Most nights were spent at her apartment or mine. After graduation we were never more than an arm's length away from each other because we moved in to a larger apartment together.

This last year was our first year as a married couple. We've bought a house and will close on it within the next month. It's all good. I have my best friend, my lover, and my wife next to me every day.

Rocky enters the lounge. She looks great. Of course she always looks great but there is a special glow or something about her tonight.

I stand and we kiss. She sits next to me in the booth instead of across the table. The waitress comes to the booth and I order a small Jack Daniels. Rocky says she just wants water with a lemon slice.

"Thought we were going to celebrate," I said. "You can't celebrate with water."

"I've quit drinking alcohol," Rocky answered. "Pregnant women shouldn't drink." She laughed aloud at the look on my face.

"What? When? How?" I sputtered and stuttered.

Smiling she said "The When was about two months ago. Did you really ask How?"

"The doc says in about seven months you're going to be a daddy," Rocky told me. "I guess our Night Moves were pretty good."

The End

12