Night Wolf Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ione glared at Samantha, slapping her sharp tongued younger sister across the face. "Now you listen to me! Night Wolf saved my life. He's been good to me. The Cheyenne aren't responsible for our family's death, nor are they to blame for taking Chloe away. Tessa did tell me that Black Horse, who's going to marry her, was forming a war party to go after Chloe."

Samantha backed away, wide eyed. She rubbed her cheek where Ione had slapped her. She angrily started slamming sticks of wood into the fire pit then lit it with a rock and a piece of flint. She opened the parfleche, pulling out a few wild vegetables, cutting them into small pieces with a bone knife. She grabbed a kettle, pouring water into from a skin then set it over the fire on a tripod to heat. Once it came to a boil, she added the vegetables.

"Ione, I'm sorry for what I said, but you have no idea what hell Black Sun has put me through. He's mean. He's hurt me, showing very little remorse. He'll probably do the same to you, too." Samantha inhaled a deep breath then exhaled slowly, trying to calm her frazzled nerves.

"I'll fight him if he tries. I pray that Night Wolf finds us soon. I know he'll come for me. He loves me. I love him too. Night Wolf is a good man. The color of his skin means nothing to me. You'll see when you meet him." Ione smiled again.

Samantha nodded then stiffened as she heard a noise coming from the front of the cave. Black Sun had returned. He stalked over to the two girls then tossed the carcass of a rabbit into Samantha's lap. She made a face of revulsion, "Ewww."

"You skin. Cook it. Don't burn it," Black Sun spoke while making hand signs. Then he walked away, leaving the cave behind.

"Help me, Ione," Samantha whined, "I don't know how!"

"Here, watch me," Ione picked up the plump rabbit then grabbed his skinning knife. "A woman named Sky Eyes showed me how to do this." Ione went to work on the rabbit, dressing it before she skinned it. She saved the hide to be prepared for moccasin lining then instructed Samantha on how to cut the meat in small chunks for the stew. She added a few dried herbs she found in the parfleche before setting aside the rabbit's internal organs. She buried the heart, whispering a prayer of thanks to the animal's spirit. It had given its life so that she may eat. One day when she eventually died, her body interred into the ground, her remains would fertilize the ground, thus providing green grass for the rabbits.

Ione found enough bowls made from smoothed wood then served Black Sun a hearty portion. She set it on his side of the fire, waiting for him to return. Then she dug into the parfleche, locating a few corn cakes. Those she sat on a scrap of hide next to his bowl.

Several minutes later, Black Sun returned, noticing the bowl of food prepared for him. He eyed Samantha before shifting his eyes to Ione. "She cook?"

"I taught her," Ione replied, her chin raising a notch. She glared at him.

"Weak Cheyenne may like fire in woman, but Black Sun don't. You my slave now, obey me," he taunted back at her as he drew his hand back to hit her.

"Night Wolf will kill you when he finds us," Ione retorted, refusing to be cowed by this bully.

Black Sun scowled at her before extending his hand to slap her hard. His hand clipped her cheek, sending her sprawling against the sandy floor of the cavern. "He die. You join," he threatened.

"Please don't hurt my sister," Samantha rushed over to Black Sun, putting herself between her sister and the Crow warrior. "I beg you. I'll do anything. Just don't hurt her."

Black Sun sneered at her before shoving her to the sandy ground. He stepped over her, moving to the fire where he sat down to eat the bowl of stew offered him. He tasted it tentatively with a bone spoon. It tasted hearty and flavorful. He nodded, digging in with a healthy appetite. When he finished it, he handed the bowl to Samantha, "More," he demanded roughly.

Samantha hurriedly filled his bowl again, handing him a few more corn cakes to go with it. Then she sat down on the other side of the fire beside her sister. Her stomach rumbled as she inhaled the delicious smell of the stew. She wished he'd finish eating so she and Ione could divvy up what was left. Sometimes he left her a mere mouthful, other times none at all. She sat quietly, listening to her belly growl a second time. This time it was louder.

Black Sun looked at her, grinning insolently at her, "Eat then go to blanket."

She picked up a second wooden bowl, filling it to the brim then handed it to Ione before she filled one for herself. She handed Ione a bone spoon then accepted the spoon Black Sun handed to her. Samantha nodded her thanks then dug into the hearty meal. The stew taste so good. It was ambrosia to her taste buds. She savored its savory broth, cooed over the tender chucks of meat, and took pleasure in the wild onions, potatoes and carrots.

Once she and Ione had finished eating, Samantha put the bowls over to the shallow pool of water then washed them out. She returned them to the fire then packed the bowls and spoons away in the parfleche with the wild vegetables.

With a sigh, she plodded over to Black Sun's blankets then made herself comfortable upon them. She knew what he wanted from her. She knew he'd take it no matter how hard she fought him. At least, he hadn't killed her yet. That morbid thought brought a measure of hope to her soul. As long as she was useful to him, she would survive. Eventually, she'd find a way to be free of him.

O.O

Night Wolf tracked the hoof prints made by the galloping horse all the way to the grove of trees where White Claw had turned Ione over to Black Sun. He tethered his horse, searching the ground for tracks. Much of the underbrush had been disturbed. He noted two different sets of tracks, one leading away from the trees and a second leading back in the direction of the village. He moved deeper into the trees, noting signs of a scuffle. When a scrap of pale fringe caught his eye, he picked it up, examining it carefully. It looked similar to the color of the dress Sky Eyes had given Falling Water. Searching around, he took note of the shattered limb then more hoof prints.

He knew she had been here, but with whom? Where did they go? Most of all, he worried over her safety. If the Crow had stolen her, he knew her life could be in great peril. He knew he had to find her soon. Her life depended on him.

O.O

To be continued…

12