Norma Rogers Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I noticed that Jim was limping quite badly. After Nancy and I had the family loaded into the ambulance, I turned to him and ordered him into the ambulance, too. "Alright, you as well! You took quite a battering there, so you had better come with us and get treated, too." I waved at him to get into the ambulance. He tried to get out of it but, much to the amusement of his men, I was adamant. "Your men can go back to base and tell the duty officer where you are. I'll take you back after you have been seen by the doctor. You deserve to be looked after." I looked across to his men. "He will be at the Royal London Hospital for treatment, and I'll bring him back, okay?" The corporal grinned at me and winked. "Far be it from me to argue," he laughed. Jim climbed aboard and we went to the hospital as quickly as we could with all the debris littering the roadway.

After we got the family and Jim into the Casualty Department, I went out into the hallway, grabbed a mug of hot tea and sat down to have a cigarette. Nancy came over and joined me. "Isn't that Sergeant a great looking man? I wonder if he's married."

I don't know where it came from, but I suddenly heard myself say, "Nancy, if he isn't married or engaged, he is mine. Those eyes of his just make me feel limp, and he could do whatever he wanted with me whenever he looks at me." Just then something caught my attention and I glanced over at the Casualty door. Standing there on crutches was Jim, face and uniform covered in dust, one foot swathed in an elastic bandage, holding a boot in one hand. Not knowing if he had heard me or not, I asked him, "How is the foot?"

"Well, if the Doctor here has his way, I'm off it for a whole two weeks, but the real answer will come when I see our Medical Officer tomorrow. There aren't enough of us that they can be liberal with leave, so I'll be lucky if I get a week off. Still, that means a few less bombs to deal with." He swung his way across to us and sat beside me, putting the boot down and asking where we got the tea.

Nancy jumped up, "I'll get you one; what do you take in it?"

"Thank you. Milk and a lot of sugar, please." He lit up a cigarette and sat back with a sigh. "I'm glad that is over, and for once we got everyone out safely. That surely is thanks primarily to you. If we had had to wait to get the trench wide enough and long enough to get a man through, the women and children would not have been ready to go, and likely would have been trapped as the floor gave way. The first thing I saw when I got in there was how much those joists were bending under the weight of the debris. I wanted to get you out of there as quickly as we could without scaring everybody."

"What was the Colleen thing?"

"Well, I hope I didn't offend you, but as you can tell, I'm Irish, hailing from Galway. I looked at what lifestyles I had to choose from when I was growing up, and saw it was a case of being on one side or the other. Even though my Ireland was free, the fighting was still going on, only now it was between Irishmen, and sometimes it was even brother against brother. That wasn't for me, so I joined the Army at 15 as a boy entrant to learn a trade. Both my father and mother supported me because they were as sick of the troubles as I was. Funnily enough, so did the local brigade of the IRA. I think they saw me as a future leader bringing what I learn back to them. Six years in the Army knocked a lot of the Irish accent out of me, but at times, especially when I get emotional, back it comes. Early this morning when I popped my head up out of that trench and saw you in the torch light, my first thought was,Jamie boy, now there is a colleen to have at your side for life.That is why I said colleen. Now you may think I am being forward and you can always say no, but as I won't be working tonight, would you do me the honour of having supper with me and maybe going to the pictures? Judging by what I heard as I came out of the Casualty Room, I believe that may not be too much to ask."

My cheeks blossomed red. "Well, you sweet talked me into it," I laughed. "It must be the Irish in you. I am off tonight, so where shall we meet?"

"How about under the clock in Piccadilly Circus at 5:30? We can go to the Lyons Corner House Tea Rooms and then the pictures. While I like to dance, I don't think this foot is going to let me do that for a while."

"That sounds good to me - I would love it"

Suddenly a weird feeling came over me and I started shivering, felt sick to my stomach, became dizzy, my heart started racing and I burst into tears. Jim quickly swept me into his arms, pulled me in to him and abruptly ordered Nancy, "Quick, get a nurse or doctor, she is having a delayed shock reaction. Get her a blanket, we have to keep her warm." He held on to me, and I gradually calmed down, helped by the warmth of his embrace and the quiet confidence in his voice. Nancy came out with a blanket and tucked it around me. Quite frankly, Jim's arms did just as good a job as the blanket, and his voice completely calmed me down. Eventually I settled down, and the Doc told Nancy to get me back to our billet. I assured Jim that I would meet him later, though. Nothing was going to prevent that! Nancy helped get me on the bus and home to our billet. After some tea with toast and jam, I went to bed for the day, wishing very much that the handsome Irishman I had met still had his arms around me. Snuggling down under the blankets, the words'Jamie boy, there is a Colleen to have by your side for life'echoed through my mind as a smile drifted across my face and I fell asleep

I got up at around three in the afternoon, made a cup of tea and, for once, had the time for a long lazy soak in the tub before I had to get ready to meet the soldier who had so completely taken my interest during the previous night. The threat of German bombs wasn't going to be enough to stop us going up to the West End and enjoying ourselves as much as the war would let us.

As I lay back drinking my tea, I thought about Jim. He had to be over six feet tall and I am sure he weighed around eleven stones as he was built more like a boxer than a soldier. He had a rugged look as if he spent most of his time outdoors. His ruddy complexion emphasized the look of fitness that he had. On top of that, his deep blue eyes almost brought a shiver to the soul of a woman,this woman anyway.Altogether quite an interesting man for any girl, and I was no exception.Nancy would have gone out with him like a shot, but I was the one he asked,I thought with a smile.

At around five I began the short walk from the billet I shared with Nancy to the Holborn Tube Station for the two-stop trip to Piccadilly Circus, and by five twenty five I was standing under the Guinness clock waiting for Jim. I only had to wait a couple of minutes before I saw him stepping down from a bus, crutches under his arms. He swung his way over to me, apologizing for being late. "I'm awful sorry that I wasn't here to meet you, Norma; sure, the bus was late after having to divert around some holes in the roads from last night's raids."

Yes, there was that touch of an Irish accent again as he apologized.I reassured him, "Don't worry about it, nobody gets anywhere on time these days." It was strangely attractive to hear his Irish brogue creeping in when he was excited, as if it were laying just under the surface, waiting to take over his speech. We slowly walked to the Lyons Corner House on Coventry Street. He told me it was his treat as he was usually so busy that he didn't get the chance to spend his pay, or not very much of it, anyway. It was quite different going to Lyons later in the day, like this. Usually the only time that I was there was early morning when Nancy and I would walk over from the Ambulance station at Weymouth Street for an occasional breakfast of beans on toast. It was always nice to have a filling, cheap breakfast that didn't come off our rations.

A hostess showed us to our table and gave us menus. They had three hot meals, two with meat and one of fish. Jim had roast beef, or what passed for beef these days, and I took the cod. At least fish was still in good supply. We both had sides of potatoes and peas. This was the usual meat and two vegetables that the Ministry of Food recommended that everyone eat. Luckily for us, it wasn't boiled cabbage today! At least getting the food at a restaurant didn't count off our rations, though it was more expensive than what I could make at home in our lodgings. We sat and chatted as we ate, after the Nippy (That is what a Lyons waitress was called then) had brought our food and our tea.

"You know, that was a very courageous thing you did, crawling under that floor and helping that family. I'm sure that it was not part of your job. One thing, Norma, you don't lack courage when it's called for. You could have just said 'that isn't my job,' and nobody would have criticized you at all."

"You're a fine one to talk about things like that! Since when have Sergeants begun to disarm bombs? All the others I have seen who disarmed bombs were commissioned officers, and the sergeants just stood by at the other end of the telephone to make sure the rest of the squad did their jobs right. I'm sure you are the very first NCO I have seen do that!"

"True enough, Norma, you have obviously done your homework. Normally there would have been an officer in command, but lately we have had a number of officers killed or wounded, and there just aren't enough left to handle the job right now. The Germans have been getting tricky with the bombs lately, too. Some have fuses that we haven't seen before, and others have been booby trapped with the intention of killing bomb disposal personnel. So, the powers that be have decided that, what with it being cheaper and easier to train NCOs, we could handle the smaller munitions. I did my bomb and mine training before the war. Besides, we had to get that family out if we could do it, hopefully without further injury. If I had thought there was any problem with the bomb last night, I would have called an officer in, but there didn't seem to be anything out of the usual. I have stood by watching on about 50 of those things, so there wasn't anything I didn't know about the fusing, and I knew to be careful in case of booby traps." He continued with a laugh, "I just don't want them making me an officer, or I would have to do it all the time."

We continued to chat until we had finished our meal, then we left Lyons and walked across to the London Pavilion. The Pavilion had been a Music Hall for a long time, but now it had been converted to a cinema. The main film showing that night was Citizen Kane, starring Orson Welles, and the other was a western, I forget its name. Actually, if it hadn't been for the strength of Citizen Kane, I wouldn't have remembered seeing it either. We sat at the back in one of the double seats. All that was going through my mind was the closeness of Jim, and I could feel his leg alongside mine. As the lights went out, his hand sought mine and we clasped our hands, and we sat like that for over an hour.

We watched the Pathe News first, fifteen minutes of doom and gloom showing the bombing in other cities, damaged ships, and convoys limping into port. After the news came the Western film. It was sheer entertainment with the black hatted baddies and the good guy in the white hat. Somehow, just before it ended, I found myself with Jim's arm around my shoulder as he pulled me in to his side. I didn't find this uncomfortable in the least, though his hand was resting dangerously close to the side of my breast. I found myself wishing that he would go a bit further; I wasn't ready to give myself to this man yet, but I wasn't far off.

Citizen Kane started and we thoroughly enjoyed the powerful performance of Orson Welles, but all through the film I was mostly conscious of Jim's hand lightly touching the side of my breast. On the one hand, I was willing him to keep going, but on the other I was thinking that he was pretty much a gentleman compared to what I had experienced with other men I had dated. I didn't feel that I would have to fight him off as the evening progressed.But then, if the truth be told, I couldn't say for sure that I would be fighting him off at all.

Part way through the film, we could hear the air raid sirens signaling that a raid was coming. A spotlight went on and picked out a man in a dark suit standing at the front. He spoke loudly so we could all hear. "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, there is a raid in progress; if you wish to leave the cinema you may do so. However this is a very strong building and we will continue the performance for those who wish to stay." A few left but most stayed where they were, trusting to the building to protect us. The film progressed to the background sounds of explosions, near and far, accompanied by the bells of emergency vehicles travelling the streets. Eventually we heard the air raid sirens sounding the All Clear. About ten minutes later the film finished and we walked out of the cinema, leaving the world of Citizen Kane and going back into our world of fires, smoke, ambulances and fire vehicles passing on the streets.

Jim bent to me and said, "Norma, I'm going to walk you home, but I'd like to stay with you a little longer first. Do you think we can find somewhere to get a cup of tea?" I thought a moment and took him to a Salvation Army canteen that I knew. Here they really looked after service personnel, and they had hot sweet tea with sandwiches available at all hours for emergency personnel, all at a reasonable price. As Jim was in uniform, we had no problems getting in, although they knew me anyway. We picked up our tea and a sandwich and sat down at a table, just talking over life in general. I told Jim that I had been a secretary at a solicitor's office prior to volunteering for the London Auxiliary Ambulance Service, that my parents lived in Bromley, Kent, just outside of London, and I usually spent my days off with them. He remarked, "And this time you stayed in London to spend time with me. Why would you do that for a soldier that you just met?"

"Because when we were working together in that house, you were so calm and capable, and you impressed me so much that I thought it was important that I get to know you."

"Oh, then, in that case, as the MO says I am off duty for at least a week, will you do me the pleasure of being my date when you are free?"

I looked across the table, falling into those deep blue eyes. "I would love to. You make me feel so important, and that makes me sure that the two of us are in some way bound together. Our experience last night when we rescued that family is just burnt into my mind. I am convinced that there will be much more ahead for us."

"Norma, in Ireland we call that being fey. It makes me feel good inside, hearing you tell me that sometime there might be not just a 'you and me', but an 'us'."

"Let's just take it slowly, Jim, and see what develops. Let's not rush into something or make a mistake. We can go out together and just see what happens. Right now, I should be heading back to my billet as my next shift comes early in the morning."

Jim walked me back to Mrs. Wright's, my arm through his. Before I got the chance to walk in to the house, he took me in his arms and held me close, as close as he could with crutches under his arms. I looked up into his face, into those eyes, as he slowly bent and put his lips over mine. He kissed me with a gentle pressure at first, then the intensity began increasing as the warmth of his mouth mingled with mine. It felt like I was spiraling down into a deep hole as my breasts pushed into him, my hard nipples feeling the rough surface of his uniform through my blouse and bra. I put my arms up around his neck, feeing that it was as natural as could be. A warm feeling travelled from my breasts to my nether lips, and I pushed back into him, feeling his hard body against mine. He finally stood back away from me, holding my hands and letting his breath out with a sigh. "We had better leave things as they are before I do something that, right now, I don't think you are ready for. I already know that you aren't just a date, you are someone special in my life, and I don't want to hurry you. Someday it will be our time, and the last thing I would want to do is spoil that. Go now, woman, before I forget me manners and ravish you. For sure I'll be meeting you at your station when your shift ends tomorrow afternoon."

I hugged him quickly, whispered, "Good night, Jim," turned to open the door and walked in. I joined Nancy in our room, quickly undressing and sliding into my single bed without waking her. I didn't feel up to the interrogation I knew I would get from her; right then I couldn't even sort out my own emotions, let alone explain them to Nancy. I fell asleep with a warm feeling, thinking about what it would be like to have that handsome man sharing my bed and my body and me sharing his. I woke at 6 to the sound of Nancy busying herself to get ready for the day. I didn't feel like getting up at all. I wanted to just stay in my nice warm bed and think over the previous day, but there was no way that I could; there would be too many people needing our services. While we didn't have a lot of casualties during the day, we did lots of transfers to out-of-town hospitals in order to keep beds open here in the city.

After three trips and one interrogation by Nancy the day was over, Nancy and I parked the ambulance in the garage, fueled it up and turned it over to the girls on the night shift. We went into the office and, as we were booking off, Nancy looked out of the window and giggled. "Norma, you've must have made a real conquest. Your soldier is out there waiting for you." As my heart jumped, I looked out, and there was Jim on his crutches, standing across the street. It was really hard to keep my feelings under control and stop myself from running to join him.Where are these feelings coming from? I've never felt anything like this in my whole life.My feelings must have shown in my face as Nancy looked at me. "Norma, you really have it bad for him! You were always the one to resist these wartime romances, as you called them." I could feel the heat in my skin as I flushed bright red, looking at her and our Station Officer. Both of them were grinning at my discomfort and telling me to get going or Jim would get tired of waiting for me.

I finally managed to leave and walked across to Jim and asked, "Are you always on time like this?"

"When I can be, and when the person I'm meeting already has a grip on my heart, for sure I would have to be dead not to be on time," he replied with that slight Irish accent and a huge grin on his face.

He reached out and placed his hands on my shoulders, leaned into me and his mouth covered mine in a kiss. I couldn't help it, my arms went around his neck and I answered him by kissing back with everything I could put into it as my tongue slid into his mouth and touched his. Wolf whistles and applause sounded from across the street where Nancy and the others from my section were watching with huge grins. There I was, the least romantically inclined of the whole unit, holding on to my soldier like grim death, as if I wanted us never to part.Well, that much was true anyway, I wanted him so badly! I wished I could just take him home with me, but that would be against Mrs. Wright's rules.

I had to go back to my room to change, so I had him come with me to my billet. I introduced him to Mrs. Wright and asked him to wait downstairs for me while I changed. I hurried into my civilian clothes, thinking that it was such a pity that Jim couldn't wear his as well. I went downstairs and found Jim chatting away with Mrs. Wright and Nancy in the parlour.This man charms all the women, and he must have kissed the Blarney Stone for sure.Mrs. Wright asked me what we had in mind for the evening. Jim replied, "Well, it's a nice night for a change, maybe we will get something to eat and, if it suits Norma, we can hop on a bus to Hampstead Heath and take a walk." That suited me fine and, to my surprise, Mrs. Wright said, "Well, if sausage suits you, you can both eat with Nancy and me."