Norma Rogers Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was such a good idea that I just gasped with relief. "That should work! Will you write the letter so we can get it mailed before we go back?"

"That I will, it will be done tomorrow," she replied

"Also I'll need some shopping time in Dublin. I need to buy some gifts, and I have something to take to the man I was told to contact. I don't want to carry it back with me."

"Oh, we can arrange that without any problem. One thing I am going to suggest, though, is that when you go back, you should leave the twins here with us. Two more bairns around here aren't going to make a whole lot of trouble, and they will be far safer here than being in a nursery in London."

I didn't like the idea of leaving the twins in Ireland where I wouldn't be able to see them, but for their safety I would if I decided it was necessary. I didn't trust the people that I had been working with anymore, as somebody had been supplying information to the Russians, so very reluctantly I agreed to leave them with their grandparents.

Two days later Mhairi and I set off for Dublin in the car, and we were going to stay at the Gresham and do some Christmas shopping. I had telephoned Sir John Maffey's office, asked for the name I had been given in London and set up a meeting in the restaurant at the Gresham for the day we were due to arrive. We registered at the hotel and got comfortable in our room before I went down to the restaurant at the time we had arranged by phone and had tea brought to the table. I had only been there about ten minutes when a tall man in a blue pin striped suit stopped at the restaurant desk and had a word with the waiter. The waiter pointed to my table and the man came over, walking with a pronounced limp.

He spoke in a low voice with a typical diplomatic upper class accent, "Might I ask if you are Mrs. Norma Rogers?"

"Yes, I am Norma Rogers . Can you please verify your name?"

"Yes, I am Charles Phillips.

"Very good - I recognize your voice from your phone call."

"Might I suggest, in order to draw less attention to us, that I sit for a while and also have tea? I have no doubt that my movements may be monitored, and if I am seen to be enjoying an afternoon tea with a beautiful woman, it will look less suspicious."

"Please be seated. I have a couple of things to tell you anyway."

He sat facing me, and I poured him tea before beginning, "As I said on the telephone, I have something for you from the man I met in Galway." Pointing at an old book I had with me, I continued, "This is hollowed out and there is a film from the person that Mr. Gray-Henry in London will be interested in. Would you please make sure it goes in the mail pouch today?"

He laughed as I finished, "I think I can freely tell you that the man in London, is neither Mr. Gray or Mr. Henry, however I know who you mean and the package will be in his hands in two days at the most. Now, how did your meeting go at Galway?"

"Well I'm not going to give out names where they are not needed, but I do believe that he is genuine and has a lot against the Nazi regime. He has the address for the mailbox, and he knows both the message to put in the shop window to let you know there is something there as well as the message you will use to correspond with him, so I think my job is finished."

"Yes, I would say so. Thank you for being brave enough to do this for us."

"I'm just glad it is all over. Now I can go back to my mother in law and enjoy Christmas without rationing ."

He smiled, "Yes, it is a relief, isn't it?"

We talked for a few minutes more before he rose, said goodbye and, picking up the book from the table, left the restaurant.

Mhairi must have been watching from the lobby, as she came right in. "All done?" she asked.

"Yes, it is all over, so now we can finally relax."

"Good! I just posted the letter to Elizabeth's friend, so hopefully we will hear from her before too long."

After a day spent shopping, Mhairi and I went back to the farm to prepare for Christmas; at least she did. Between her, Mairead, Mum and Mrs. O'Leary, I wasn't allowed to do much, so Dad and I had wonderful long walks about the area - when it wasn't raining, that is. I'm sure that is the reason that Ireland is so green, because of the amount of rain that falls. Christmas Day was wonderful. The twins had so many gifts to try to open, as did Rosie and her baby brother, John junior, and Mary spent the day with us. For once I got to look after my own babies, as Mairead went home and spent the day with her family.

For a change we were able to eat until we were bursting, and of course the menfolk did the dishes after Christmas dinner while the women relaxed with cups of tea. Even Annie joined us. She had her own little cottage not far from the farm, but she came in for dinner. I found out from her that she had been married to a fisherman in Galway who was lost at sea, and the way she put it was, "I was so satisfied with my Patrick, he filled my life so well, that I've never felt the need to go looking for another one." She had a daughter who had gone to England to become a nanny and, while she was there, married a nice man in Birmingham. "Oh, I go over there once in a while to spoil the grandchildren, but life in the big city isn't for me." She smiled and continued, " This little corner of Ireland is quite enough for me."

The next day, Boxing Day, passed in a similar way, a lazy day of wonderful meals until about 7 pm when the telephone rang and Mhairi answered it. "Yes, Norma Rogers is here. May I ask who is calling? Oh, Sir John Maffey's office." She looked over to me and beckoned, handing me the telephone handset.

"Hello, this is Norma Rogers, with who am I speaking?"

"This is Commander Charles Philips. I'm on Sir John's staff, and we met before Christmas as you likely remember."

"Yes, I remember you. I'm just surprised to hear from you and a little surprised by your rank. One doesn't think of intelligence types as naval Commanders."

"Well there is Military Intelligence, you know." He replied in what sounded like an affected, wounded tone. "Anyway," he continued, "I'm not really an intelligence type, and the title is left over from former service. Anything I do is out in the open and visible to our hosts. I'm sorry to disturb you on Boxing Day, but it is on the orders of Sir John. I need to know when you are expecting to travel home."

"January 3rd, and why do you need to know?"

"Well, I have very strict instructions that I have to ensure a safe journey home for yourself and your family. Those instructions come from the highest level, and I have been advised that, should I fail to ensure your safety, my duties at the next garden party will be that of wine waiter." He laughed, "Mama would not be pleased at that thought."

"As I said, I am planning on travelling on January 3rd; I am going to leave the children and my mother here with my husband's parents for safety, so there will just be myself and my father travelling."

"I've been made aware of some of the reasons for your trip, and just in case you are under observation, might I suggest that your entire party returns to make it appear as normal as possible. I assure you that as we speak, there are arrangements being made to ensure your safety and that of your children. What I would like is for you to meet me at the Gresham on January 2nd. Rooms 205 and 207 have been reserved for you and your party, and they interconnect so you can get together. I would meet you for tea as we did before at around 4 pm."

"I still have your telephone number. Let me think it over, and I will contact you to let me know my decision."

"I assure you it is very important that we meet. It has been stressed from very high up that no harm must come to you and your family, and it is my job to see that it doesn't. I take that responsibility very seriously."

"Very well, I'll be in touch. Goodbye for now."

"Goodbye, Mrs. Rogers, till the 2nd."

He was certainly taking things for granted!

End of part 6