Now and Forever Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Seth is my middle name," Brogan explained, "but I want to name him after his mother and aunt."

"Which would be...?" The nurse asked.

"Kristopher Carroll," Brogan replied.

"Why not compromise then and name him Kristopher Seth Carroll?"

"Oh, I like that idea, babe," Kit said, eyes sparkling. "There are tons of kids with two middle names."

"Done," Brogan said with a laugh.

~~~

The phone on Brogan's desk rang and he looked up at the clock. He heaved a disappointed sigh, knowing that the caller wouldn't be Kit.

"BT Design..."

"Hey," Kathy said, "I'm at the hospital. It's not a false alarm this time, my water broke."

"Oh! Um, uh..."

Kathy laughed. "Dear, dear, Brogan. Thank goodness you aren't a woman." She laughed harder. "Don't panic, okay? Everything is under control. Call Kit and meet me at the hospital. And don't forget the paperwork."

"Yeah, okay Kathy." Brogan's voice was panic-stricken.

"Cooper Hospital, Kings Highway North. Katherine Denton."

"Kathy, I know where to go and what your name is. I'm not an idiot."

"No, but you're about to be a father. Now shut up and call your wife." Kathy hung up.

Brogan dialed Kit's cell phone with shaking fingers. When he answered, Brogan blurted, "We're about to be parents!"

"Oh! That's wonderful!"

"I'm coming to get you... No, wait, you're coming to get me... No..." Confusion clouded his mind. He couldn't remember what he was supposed to do.

Kit laughed. "No, darling. We decided if the moment came while we were at work, we'd just meet at Cooper. It will save time."

"Oh, yeah. I remember now. I'm on my way."

"Don't forget to tell Troy you're leaving, he'll need to hold down the fort while you're gone."

"Where the hell has my mind gone? Thank you, my love. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You'd be lost. Now get your ass off the phone and let's go meet our son."

"God I love you, Kitty Kat."

"I love you too, sweetheart. You are my life. Now scoot!"

Kit's musical laughter filled his ears and he hung up the phone. He grabbed his car keys and shouted for Troy, filling him in as he headed to the door.

"Good luck, partner! I've got everything under control here."

"Thanks, Troy!" Brogan shouted as he scurried out the door.

The five-minute drive seemed to take hours. Pulling into a space in the parking lot, he looked around for Kit's car and didn't notice that he'd parked crooked. Kit wasn't there yet, but Brogan knew he wasn't expected to wait.

Entering the hospital, he went straight to the admissions desk. The clerk looked up at him, inquiry clear on her face. "May I help you?" she asked in a polite but distant voice.

"Katherine Denton, please. She's having my baby."

The clerk typed something on her computer keyboard. A moment later she directed him to labor and delivery. Brogan started in the direction she indicated, but then stopped and returned to the desk.

"Yes?"

"My wife will be here shortly, could you tell him I'm here?"

"Him? Your wife, sir?"

"Yes, I know it's confusing, but I don't have time to explain now. My name is Brogan Daniels. My wife is Kit Daniels. Please?"

"I'll do what I can."

"Thank you."

Brogan rushed to labor and delivery. A nurse took him to Kathy's side. "How're you doing, Kath?"

Kathy looked up at him, eyes clouded with pain. "How do you think I'm doing? This shit hurts. Why on Earth I ever agreed to this I'll never know."

Brogan leaned forward and kissed Kathy's forehead. "You know why you agreed to this, angel. It was to bring joy and happiness to your wonderful brother."

"Yeah," Kathy sighed. "And I'd do it again in a heartbeat."

"I know you would. You are an incredible person."

"Naw, I just love my brother... and his husband." Kathy grabbed Brogan's hand and kissed it. "Thank you for asking me to do this. Thank you for giving my brother the chance to be a mother."

"I should be the one thanking you, Kathy. For giving my wife the child he can't have."

"So we're both in contention for sainthood." Kathy laughed and Brogan laughed with her.

Brogan looked at his watch and then at the door. "I wonder what's keeping him. Kit should have been here by now."

"Well, I'm sure traffic is murder at this time of day. He'll be here, don't worry."

Kathy's words did nothing to alleviate the growing fear in Brogan's belly, but he did his best to set it aside. The doctor came in to check Kathy's progress. He announced that it was time and Brogan's apprehension increased tenfold.

Kathy looked at him, squeezed his hand and said, "Traffic. I'm sure it's just traffic. Oh!"

"Breathe. Hehehe whooo hehehe whooo."

Kathy smiled through her pain. "Stop."

"But you're supposed to-"

"I know I'm supposed to, but it makes me feel silly."

~~~

Kristopher Seth Carroll Daniels entered the world at fourteen minutes past noon. A short time later, Brogan held his son in his arms and Kit still had not arrived. "There's something wrong. I feel it in my soul."

"Let me see him, I didn't notice anything amiss." Kathy held her arms out for the baby.

"Not with him, with Kit. There's something terribly wrong."

Kathy let out a deep sigh, tears welling in her eyes. "I know. I just don't know what."

A moment later, a uniformed officer knocked on the open door and stepped into the room. "Brogan Daniels?"

"That's me."

"I need to speak with you privately, please."

Brogan's blood ran cold. "Whatever you need to say can be said here. This is my sister-in-law."

"Katherine Denton?"

"Yes, sir," Kathy said, voice quivering.

The officer closed the door and moved toward the bed. "I'm here to tell you that your... wife?" Brogan nodded. "Wife, Kristopher Daniels, was involved in a head on collision late this morning."

Kathy gasped. Brogan's face paled and he sank into the chair next to the bed. "Is-Is he okay?" Brogan asked in a whisper.

"Unfortunately, no. Mr. Daniels was pronounced dead at the scene."

Brogan dropped his face into his hands, sobs wracking his body.

Kathy clutched the baby to her breast, and he began to wail. A whimper of anguish escaped before she could contain it and she bit her bottom lip hard enough to draw blood. Tears spilled, unchecked, down her cheeks.

"There was nothing the emergency unit could do. Mr. Daniels' injuries were too severe. He did have a message for both of you, however." The officer pulled a small slip of paper out of his breast pocket.

Brogan looked up; pain flooding his body and turning his insides to molten lava.

"Mr. Daniels-"

"Kit," Brogan choked out.

"Kit wanted someone to tell his... husband, that he loved him to the depths of his soul. That he would always be here in spirit, if not in physical form. Now and forever."

An anguished cry tore from Brogan's lips. Fire filled his chest and he wished for the Earth to swallow him whole.

The officer continued, "He asked that Kathy please take care of Brogan and 'our' son. Let him know that he was created out of love and wanted more than anything in this world."

Heartbreaking sobs wracked Brogan's body. He'd lost his life. Nothing else in that moment mattered.

Kathy whispered, "Is that all?"

"Just that he loved you both, as well as his son."

"Thank you, officer."

"I can't say you're welcome. I'm sorry, sir, ma'am." The officer offered Kathy a card and said, "Call the number on this card and they'll tell you what needs to be done." She took with a quavering hand. "Again, I'm very sorry for your loss." The officer gave them both a curt nod and left the room.

"Brogan?" Kathy whispered around the lump in her throat.

Through the haze of pain, Brogan looked at Kathy. She patted the bed next to her. Brogan joined her on the bed and buried his face in her shoulder, sobbing. Kathy shifted the baby out of harm's way and stroked Brogan's head with her free hand. She murmured to him as she would a child, doing her best to ignore the vice crushing her heart.

To be continued...

I cried when I wrote this, I loved Kit and hated that he died. Sometimes an author can't control where the story goes. Please, vote, leave a comment, or send me feedback. I can only improve with your help. ~Minx

12