Old Dishes And Oak Cabinets

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"More or less. I'm staying with a girlfriend tonight and then I'll be over to see you in the morning."

"Listen, be very alert because I was followed this morning. They followed me all the way to the office."

"Oh my God."

"Just watch your mirrors and if you see a suspicious car go straight to the nearest police station."

"Thanks for letting me know. We can talk about all of this when I get there okay?"

"I think we better."

"Gil it's nice to know you worry about me."

"More than you can know Angie, see you for coffee."

Gil was up and pacing Saturday morning not sure if she would make it or she would be at some police station somewhere. He was in the living room when the door opened and she came in without calling out to him. He was at her side almost instantly and they fell into each other's arms. Neither of them spoke as they held onto each other glad to be alive and together. Gil finally told her, "I've been so worried about you."

"I've worried about you too."

He kissed her cheek and said, "Let's go sit down and talk about all of this." He sat close to her on the couch and turned to face her. Putting his hand to the side of her face he looked at her and said, "I was so afraid that you wouldn't be here this morning."

She put her hand over his and told him, "I had to come because I was worried about you."

"Tell me about the shooting."

"There's not a lot to tell. I was in bed but was having trouble getting to sleep so I was going to the kitchen for a snack when the shooting started. I...I just stood there like a dummy. I couldn't believe what was happening. Whoever it was knew the layout of the apartment because most of the shots were through my bedroom wall and the officer told me that had I been in bed I'd likely be dead now. I see a patrol car near my place a lot, but they can't be there all the time. You can bet I'm not sleeping in my bed until this is straightened out. I bought an air mattress and will sleep on the floor for now."

"Unless you strongly object I'll have an alarm installed in your apartment."

"Gil I can't afford that."

"Angie honey you forget what I do for a living. I'll take care of it okay? Just the fact that you'll have an alarm will be an effective deterrent and if it's activated by somebody the police will be at your place in no time."

"Thank you."

"What's Tony's take on this?"

"He's as puzzled by it as we are. His only thought is it has to have something to do with the map because all of this started after we poked around looking for...well for what we don't even know. His only suggestion was to stay away from the industrial site."

"So that would mean there really is something hidden out there."

"That's his guess, but that's all it is."

"Unfortunately I've told several people about that damn map and you probably have too."

"Yes it's been the talk of the offices and I get teased everyday about the treasures we haven't found."

"So I guess we can't go back out there and see if we can find anything."

"What's the difference now, they know we have the map and they're already after us."

"I wonder if they're trying to scare us more than hurt us. If we'll just leave it alone maybe they'll leave us alone." If they were serious about killing us I have to believe we'd be dead now."

"But what about the shooting and me almost dying Thursday night.?

"Maybe that was a fluke...a screw up by somebody. Or maybe they wanted to scare you not realizing they were shooting into your bedroom and could have killed you." If they want us dead why haven't they been here?"

"Don't say that too loudly because it's not too late for that to happen you know."

"I know, that's why I keep one of my pistols near me at all times."

"Even in the car?"

"Even in the car."

"Isn't that illegal?"

"I have a permit, but even if I didn't I'd rather face a weapons charge than be dead. I just wish you would stay here until this mess is cleared up."

"You know I can't, but I wish I could. She paused a second and then said, "I just had a thought. If what we're looking for is valuable why aren't they just digging it up and hiding it somewhere else? If it's not valuable then it must be something they want kept secret."

"Okay Sherlock, like what?"

"Like a body."

"You're kidding right?"

"I wish I were but it makes sense. They wouldn't be nearly as eager to dig up a body as say a box of money or something like that. Money can be hidden in a house or wherever, but a decomposing body isn't very easy to spirit away and stash it in somebody's living room."

"So what you're saying is their secret wouldn't have anything to do with our map other than the fact that we're poking around those fields."

"Right, they don't know what our map shows or where all we'd be apt to explore and their secret could be about anyplace on that chunk of land."

"Well I have to admit, Tony just may be right in a way. It's because of the map but not because of an old buried treasure."

Angie was quiet for a few seconds before she looked at me and surprised me with a totally different subject. "Gil why don't you have a woman in your life?"

"I do have, I have you."

"That's sweet, but you know what I mean."

"I've just been so damn busy."

"That's an excuse and we both know it. You have time for me and to chase around with the map."

"Angie I guess I just haven't met anybody that impresses me other than you and certainly not as much as you impress me. I met a very lively and nice woman at a party recently and we had a very pleasant evening talking and acting crazy, but she lives in Reno and I can't go jetting back and forth across the country."

"It sounds like as long as I'm coming over here you won't even try to meet somebody else."

"Is it important to you that I meet other women?"

"It's important to me that you are happy. If I quit coming over here maybe you'll get out more and find somebody."

"Angie please don't talk like that. I'm not unhappy with my life. I told you early on that I wished you weren't engaged and I still mean that, but I'm doing okay. I'm glad that you worry about me but please don't stop coming over here." He was staring into her eyes as he said once again, "Please Angie."

She put her arms around his neck and held him close to her. "Gil I want what's best for you. I don't want to never see you again, but one day all of this will have to change."

His arms went around her and he said, "I know it will and I know I won't like it, but I'd rather see you while I can and worry about the hurt later than never see you again." She looked into his eyes and they came together in a long tender kiss.

She suddenly realized what she had just done and pulled back quickly. "Oh God I'm so sorry Gil, I shouldn't have done that."

He pulled her back into him and his lips touched her ear as he whispered, "Thank you. Someday I'll explain how much that sweet kiss means to me."

"But we can never do that again."

"I know."

She took a breath and tried to compose herself and changing the subject asked him, "So what will we do now?"

"About the kiss or the map?"

She smiled and said, "The map. We have to pretend the kiss didn't happen."

"Correction, you have to pretend. I plan to think about it that kiss every day for a long time to come. As to the map I don't know what to think. I know I'm not going to throw it away or give up on it. There's a reason we're being harassed and assaulted and there's a reason for that map and I intend to learn what those reasons are one of these days. In the meantime I'll have somebody at your place Monday evening to install the alarm."

"Thank you for worrying about me."

"I couldn't stop worrying about you even if I wanted to."

"I better go home."

"I don't want you to go, but okay and remember to stay alert and call me if you need anything at all."

"I will. At the door she turned to him and said, "You sure are complicating my life," and she ran to her car.

Chapter Eight

Gil spent the afternoon wandering the field where he and Angie had been before but came up empty. Her reasoning about the place where something was hidden had to be right so Tuesday he left work early and after changing his clothes went back out and widened the search area but again came up empty. If nothing else maybe whoever was responsible for shooting at Angie would direct their attention toward him instead. Why they had gone after her in the first place made no sense to him at all.

As Gil left the office Wednesday evening he felt like maybe their problem was settling down. Angie hadn't been harassed or assaulted nor had he, but he still kept his eyes moving as he drove toward home. He was within three miles of his house when a car sped up on is right and as he looked over at it he saw the pistol suddenly appear. Without thought of consequences he slammed on his brakes and did a quick U turn in front of oncoming traffic. Horns were blaring and tires were squealing but the car with the pistol was blocked by the suddenly backed up traffic. Gil had some open room in front of him so he shot ahead and took the first right he came to and worked hard to disappear. He spent the next ten minutes turning corners to make sure he wasn't being followed and then headed home. They had to know where he lived, but his house was alarmed and he had weapons to defend himself with there. At least their attention was on him now instead of Angie. He was going to call her and tell her the latest but she was already afraid so why make it even worse for her? He could tell her Saturday when they could talk it through.

Gil had been home just long enough to change when Angie called him. "Gil I need help."

"What happened?"

"They started following me right after I left work. I know you told me to go to the nearest police station but I panicked and couldn't remember where it was so I raced into the mall parking lot and I'm hiding in the lady's room."

"Which one?"

"Across from the Fudge Factory."

"Did they see you go in there?"

"I don't know but I don't think so."

"Okay stay there, I'm on my way." After thinking about what to do for a minute Gil grabbed his cell phone and his pistol and headed for the storage building at the back of his yard. A couple of minutes of preparation and he opened the large door and pulled his motorcycle out and took off down the side street away from his house as fast as he could go watching his mirrors as he went. It took him almost twenty minutes to get there and then parked in a yellow zone, grabbed his things and went in to the mall. It took him a minute to get his bearings but then he headed to his right at a fast walk as he dialed her number. As soon as he heard her voice he said, "I'm in the mall and almost to you. Count to twenty and then come out. I should be there by then." She had barely acknowledged what he said when he closed his phone and focused on the people around him as he headed toward her.

Angie was reaching for the door to go back into the lady's room when he said, "Wait, I'm here." Handing her a helmet and a leather jacket he told her, "Put these on."

"Now?"

"I'm trying to make you look different and besides I don't want to take time to do this outside. I want us to get on the bike and get the hell out of here."

"But we'll really be conspicuous walking through the mall with helmets on."

"Shit you're right of course, okay carry it but be ready to put it on before we hit the doors."

"What about the leather coat, it's about eighty five out there."

"Wear it anyway and we can both get sweaty."

AS they raced toward the exit she said, "I didn't even know you had a motorcycle."

"Well I do. I was afraid to use the car in case they were watching my house. By the time they would have heard the cycle I would have been flying down the street and they would never catch me."

She was almost running to keep up with him as she said, "I tried to call Tony but then I remembered he's out of town so I just left him a message." They turned left and just before the exit doors they put on their helmets and jackets. She looked at herself and said, "My God Gil this jacket is huge."

"It's all I had, sorry. Once we're in the clear we can take them off." There was not time for small talk so after getting on the bike he just told her to get on and hang on and seconds later they were rolling. Weaving through the parking lot kept him too buy to check his mirrors so it wasn't until they were heading down the street that he saw a car keeping pace with them. He turned his head partway and told Angie, "I think we have company."

"That's not possible."

"I'm afraid it is. Okay honey hang on because this might get interesting before it's over," and he downshifted and twisted the throttle as far as it would go.

"Oh shit," was all she managed to say.

They raced down the street with the car not far behind them and Gil worked the throttle and gears squeezing as much out his cycle as he could as he weaved through the traffic. When they came to a group of cars he took the cycle down the center line forcing oncoming traffic to give him room but the car followed them forcing the cars to move over even more. They were getting honked at and fingers waved out of windows, but Gil was concentrating on what he was doing and tried to plan ahead. It was time for hm to start worrying because the guy driving the car seemed to be fearless and determined to catch up to them. For the moment they kept a slight lead as they raced through traffic and ducked around cars at traffic lights and still the car kept pace with them. Gil turned north onto the three seventeen and then went west on Bexley and kept the lead. He was all too aware that they weren't improving their situation at all and his bike would almost certainly run out of gas before the car would. He knew he had to do something different because having a police car intervene was looking like a futile dream. Then he remembered one stretch ahead with an intersection where the traffic was almost certain to be backed up. At the speed they were going Angie wouldn't ear him if he tried to tell her something so he leaned forward slightly and sped up until they saw the traffic backup ahead of them. He knew it wouldn't be a long stretch so he had to make the best of it and break free of their pursuers because this was their best and possibly their only chance to get away and if it failed he only had his pistol to keep them safe.

Gil picked his slot and slowing down only slightly, split lanes and went between the cars in the right and middle lane. There was no way the car could follow them and the oncoming traffic was too thick for even them to force their way through. The car was now well to the rear, but they would still be able to see the cycle as it raced ahead cutting cars off and splitting lanes again. Angie had wrapped her arms around his waist some time ago and was holding on with the side of her helmet pressed against his leather clad back with everything she had.

They had an open stretch now so he opened it up again and as soon as the car was out of sight he turned south on High Street and watched his mirrors as they kept going. They went south for almost forty miles before he slowed down as they neared Chillicothe. He saw a gas station and pulled into one of the back pumps and shut the bike off. Angie had released her tight hold on him and as soon as the engine died she straightened up as he said, "Okay honey it's gas up and pit stop."

"Do you think it's safe to stop?"

"It has to be because we're running on empty and I'm about to piss my jeans."

"I think I did that a long time ago. Can I take this jacket off now?"

"Yeah go ahead. Let's catch our breath and get something to drink and then we'll go find a motel."

A what?"

"A motel. You weren't thinking we could just go home right now were you?"

"Well...yes I guess I was but I see your point. We have to at least wait until daytime when we can see what's going on. Do you really think we lost them?"

"Yes I do."

"What if they find us?" He turned his back to the station and opened his coat slightly so she could see his pistol. "Oh my God Gil is...is that necessary?"

"I sure hope not, but the running has to stop. We can't go to the police because we can't tell them who is chasing us or why. Hell we can't even tell them what kind of car it was because I wasn't about to let them get that close to us if I could help it."

"Are you a good shot?"

"I'm a very good shot. Not the best and in fact Jim usually bests me, but I'm good." He pumped his gas and then they went inside and used the restrooms and got a snack and a cold drink.

Chapter Nine

They rode on and as they neared town Gil slowed down and told her, "We have to find a Wal-Mart or something and pick up a few things to keep us going."

"It's going to be so embarrassing to go into a motel carrying plastic bags instead of luggage."

"Good point, motel first then shopping."

"When can we eat."

"As soon as we clean up and you get out of your slacks."

"Excuse me?"

"And into jeans. Dress slacks on the motorcycle could draw attention."

"I'm just lucky I wasn't wearing a skirt today."

"Now wouldn't' you have been a sensation going down the highway at ninety miles an hour."

"Were we going that fast?"

"Well the one time I took time to check we were but other than that I couldn't say because I was pretty busy."

"So was I trying not to cry or faint. I've never even been on a motorcycle before."

They found a Holiday Inn and Gil gave them his credit card and said, "One room two beds." She squeezed his arm and stared at him and he just smiled at her and waited to sign the form.

AS they walked back out to the bike she said, "Gil what are you doing? One room?"

"Angie I'm not letting you out of my sight. Where one of us goes both of us go."

"What about the shower or the bathroom?"

"Of course those too."

She stopped walking and he just smiled and said, "I'm just kidding. I'll wait for you outside of the shower curtain."

"You wouldn't."

"Of course I would." She wasn't moving so he put one arm around her and said, "Come on I'll behave I promise."

As they reached the bike she said, "After all we've been through and you're teasing me."

"Okay I'm sorry but I just couldn't resist. It just feels so good to actually feel safe and able to relax for the first time in several days at least." After the harrowing ride they had just experienced, the causal ride to Wal-Mart was almost pleasant. They each bought a change of clothes plus toiletries and then Angie tried to find a conservative nightie of some kind. He patiently followed her around and she rejected one after another. "My God they are either almost see through or heavy flannel that a grandma might wear."

"Want me to pick it out for you?"

"I thought you were going to behave."

"I am, I'm asking for your permission."

"Permission denied." She finally settled on one that wasn't too risqué and then she stopped and asked, "What about you?"

"Sorry, but I'm not wearing a woman's nightie even for you and I don't care how sexy it is."

She had to smile as she said, "No I mean, you know what will you wear?"

"My briefs that I just bought."

"Gil now..."

"Angie honey I'll be covered. I hate pajamas of any kind and if you weren't along I'd be nude so I'm doing this for you."

"Why do I feel like I'm going from the frying pan to the fire?"

"I got you here safely and I'll get you home safe and unmolested I promise." Maybe just a touch more worldly but safe."

She smiled again and said, "Okay have your fun but you stay in your own bed."

"I promise."

"Do you snore?"

"I've never watched me sleep so I'm not sure."