Old Man Eli

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So does that mean you believe in pre destiny?"

"By no means, I believe that the concept of pre destiny vitiates human free will. But some force may have caused you to fall. Why you might ask. Perhaps you were meant to meet this young woman...Kelli you said?"

"Yes Kelli. But why do you think?"

"I have no idea but do you perceive that experience as being a negative one?"

"Not at all, I found her very pleasant to be with, very attractive and to my simple mind at least quite intelligent. So why do you suppose it was important for us to meet?"

"I'm not a fortune teller so I don't know but time will answer that without a doubt."

"I'll say one thing about you Eli, you never answer my questions but you sure give me a lot to think about." He smiled for a second and then sobered up and drank his coffee before topping off our cups. "So Eli do you think those forces determine the general course of our lives?" "Perhaps, perhaps not. But almost certainly they influence us but it's up to us to take advantage of the opportunities they open up to us." I just nodded my head as though I understood what the hell he was talking about. We did talk a little longer and then I emptied my cup and stood up to go.

"Eli I really enjoy talking with you, I hope you don't mind my stopping in."

"I find your open mind and your curiosity very refreshing and those traits will allow you to grow and experience all that life has to offer you. Your life will be full of mystery and wonder. Question the mysteries always but never fail to appreciate them or embrace the wonder." As I walked toward his front door I once again paused at a painting hanging on the wall. It was a soft pastel of a young couple facing out and he stood behind her, his arms around her waist in a soft embrace. It would catch my eye because even though I was looking at their faces I couldn't tell what they looked like.

"You seem intrigued by that painting."

"Yes I am. Who are they?"

"The painter intends for you to decide that. His intent was to create curiosity and wonder...such as what you're experiencing now."

"Yes. Do you know the painter?"

"I did yes." I knew I had other questions about it but at the moment they escaped me.

"Thanks again Eli."

"Come back." He no more than had said that and the door was closed behind me. Eccentric didn't cover Eli. He was a major curiosity to me...a wonder.

Chapter Seven

Wednesday after work I took advantage of a very warm afternoon and after changing my clothes went to a small shady area of my patio and enjoyed a glass of iced tea. I had been there about ten minutes when I saw Kelli coming toward me with a man next to her that I assumed was her husband. When they neared I stood up and Kelli said, "Aaron this is my husband Vince."

I extended my hand and we shook as I said, "Nice to meet you Vince would you two like some iced tea?"

"No thanks we can't stay I just wanted you and Vince to meet."

"Vince, your wife was a life saver for me."

"Yes she told me about you falling and hitting your head." That caught me since I hadn't hit my head but I let it pass and smiled.

"No serious injury but it sure got my attention." Kelli just stood there with a small smile as he continued.

"So you're all settled in?"

"Yes I think so. I still want to do something with this backyard but I can't decide what it seems."

"Well we better get home. Nice to meet you Aaron."

"And you Vince come back when you two have time."

"We'll do that."

As they walked away I sat back down and thought about him. It was like he was appraising me or at least that's the feeling I got. He was okay but was short of being personable. I was slightly stockier than he was but other than that we were built about the same. He had very dark hair and Mediterranean features but with the name of Palino I wasn't surprised by that. Judging from his hands I had to guess he worked in an office or at least at a trade that didn't require a lot of physical effort. Of course the same could be said of me at least to some extent. I did have good genes that allowed me to be fairly physically fit without having to spend time in gyms working out. Just don't ask me to do laps around a track because I'd likely die.

Late on Thursday Mark called and asked me, "Have you talked to Charlie in the last few days?"

"No I haven't why?"

"He and Nita have split up."

"Damn I was afraid of that."

"That's what Kay said too."

"So you've talked to him?"

"Just briefly."

"He doing okay?"

"Yeah I think so, in fact I got the impression it was his choice."

"What was your take on Nita?"

"Oh I always liked her. I couldn't live with her but I liked her."

"That's about the same with me. He doesn't have somebody else on the string does he?"

"Not that I'm aware of."

"Maybe I'll give Charlie a call in a few days just to say hi."

"Don't be surprised if he says he's seeing somebody by then."

"The ladies do seem to like him."

"I should have his troubles in that area."

"I heard that."

"How you doing Aaron?"

"Fine. I met one of my neighbors."

"Nice?"

"She's a looker."

"Oh?"

"She's really nice but her husband leaves a little to be desired."

"Husband you say?"

"Yeah I'm afraid so."

"Is this where I'm supposed to ask how Sara's doing?"

"Yeah okay smart ass she's doing fine and so are we."

"Sorry I couldn't resist. Okay gotta go, I just wanted to let you know about Charlie."

"Thanks Mark."

After I hung up I called Sara and gave her the news and her response was, "I guess both of us saw that coming."

"It looks like it."

"So you haven't talked to him?"

"No."

"Maybe I'll give him a call."

"If you talk to him tell him I'll call him tomorrow."

"Okay. How are you doing?"

"Fine, I had coffee with Eli again."

"Really how was it?"

"Just as strange as before with more words of wisdom for me to think about. But at least he was more talkative this time." Sara and I talked for another minute and then said our goodbyes and I went to fix some dinner.

I had just assumed that once I had moved closer to my friends and Sara she and I would see more of each other but that hadn't happened. We were together most Friday nights and she would stay through Saturday sometimes but that wasn't much different than before. I was seeing Mark and Charlie more often but now with Charlie and Nita breaking up that would likely change too. At least I had a nicer house, I was closer to work and I had a very attractive and nice neighbor.

I finally bought the tree for the backyard and started to dig a hole for it. It must have been a couple of minutes before I noticed Kelli in her yard so I stopped and as I walked in her direction I called out to her.

"Hey Kelli hi." She looked over at me and paused but then made her way toward me.

"Hi Aaron." When we were close to each other I noticed it. "Kelli what happened to you?"

"I fell in the living room and hit the coffee table."

"Damn that's a nasty bruise on your cheek."

"I know but it doesn't hurt much."

"Maybe my clumsiness is rubbing off on you."

"Maybe that's it."

"You doing okay otherwise?"

"I'm okay. So you got your tree."

"I did. I still need a bush or two for the front though. Do you have time for coffee or something?"

"I better not but thanks."

"Sure. I had coffee with Eli again."

"Really, that's so odd that he's befriended you."

"So is he but for some reason I really like him. He must spend all of his days reading and thinking philosophical thoughts because he always has one or two to share with me."

"It's nice to talk to you Aaron but I better get back."

"Okay. I hope we can get together again soon over coffee." She just smiled at me and headed for her backdoor.

My tree planting went so well that the following Sunday I planted two bushes in the front yard near my steps. When I was done I dusted my hands off and stepped back to admire the new look. I felt him before I saw him and when I looked in that direction Eli was on his front step cautiously waving at me. I tossed my shovel down and waved back as I headed over to join him. "Hi Eli."

"Aaron."

As I reached him he asked, "Done with your work?"

"Just done."

"Coffee's on."

"Great your timing is perfect as always." Eli was getting down right friendly it seemed. As always we sat at the kitchen table and talked. "Eli you said that life chooses who you meet. Do you think it happens for a reason or is it blind chance that dictates who becomes important to you."

"I don't believe it is blind chance. It is opportunity that you are presented with. For example you and I met. There is a reason for that and time will make it clear what that reason is. You met Kelli, your pretty neighbor as you put it. There is a reason that you two met. Again time will make it clear why. Now you still have the freedom of choice about what you make of her acquaintance. You have already made the choice regarding me, we have become friends."

"There you go again with no answers but more for me to think about." He just smiled and focused on his coffee cup.

"Aaron have you ever considered that to ask questions and to ponder answers elevates us above lesser creatures?"

"I never thought about that I guess."

We talked about lighter things for a few minutes and then he changed subjects and said, "You will be presented with choices in the future. Remember that choices can't always be made by cold logical thought or measured with a yardstick. You must use your heart or trust your instincts. You may be forced to act quickly and decisively. Do what you believe to be right for you and the one you love and you will do well in life." I emptied my cup and he knew I was going to leave so he said, "Come see me again in a few days. Just come over, I'll be here and the coffee will be ready."

"I'll do that Eli." I looked at that pastel painting again as I passed it and went home. I did go back a few days later for a short visit and shared coffee and conversation for a short time. Eli seemed somewhat quieter and seemed more reflective or meditative and he didn't share any of his usual tidbits of wisdom or advice until I was leaving. "Aaron keep an eye out for your pretty neighbor's well being."

"She has her husband and he seems to be watching over her."

"Just mark my words the day will come when it will be very important to heed my advice. Important for both of you." That was the most direct and understandable thing he had ever said to me and I replayed what he said in my mind several times as I went home.

Chapter Eight

The next week wasn't going well for me. Starting Sunday night the weather went to hell with the sky heavy with clouds and there was a persistent drizzle that just seemed to hang in the air. Stress at work was at an all time high through Wednesday and I was getting on edge. Late Thursday afternoon just before I went home the drizzling rain stopped but the clouds persisted. I still wasn't in the best of moods when I got home so I changed into jeans and went out back to dabble in yard cleaning for something to keep my mind occupied while I tried to shake off whatever was chewing on me.

Kelli came out soon after and said hi and came toward me and I felt like everything would be okay now. "Hi Kelli how are you?"

"I'm okay, you?" "I'll be glad when this week is over."

"One of those bad ones?"

"It has been." I saw Vince come toward us and I waited until he was near before I said hi. He came over to me then and before I could react he gave me a sucker punch in the face and knocked me on my ass. I sat there stunned while he told me to leave his fucking wife alone and then as I sat there he backhanded her and knocked her to the ground as well. I got up and as I stepped close to him I dusted myself off like it was over and then hit him with everything I possessed before he could defend himself. I had returned his sucker punch with interest. I'm sure it wasn't stylish but it was effective enough as he reeled back and tried to get his breath. I didn't wait for that to happen. I grabbed his head between my hands and rammed my upper forehead into his nose and cheekbone. I wasn't exactly aiming for anything but after it was over I could tell that's where I hit him. I learned later that the force of my hard head was sufficient to break his cheekbone and move his nose sideways. When I straightened up after the blow he was on the ground on his side and his nose was bleeding profusely.

I couldn't tell if he was conscious or not but it was more important for me to see to Kelli than him at the moment. I helped her to her feet and looked at her face asking her, "Are you okay?" She didn't respond for some time as she stood there looking down on her husband as he moaned and bled. I asked her again, "Are you okay?" She looked at me and just nodded then. "I have to call the police but you better come with me while I do that." I didn't wait for her to decide but rather pulled her along to my house and placed the call. Kelli still had a bruise on her face from before that I now knew was compliments of Vince and on the other side of her

face was a fresh bruise forming from him backhanding her. My face was somewhat the worse for wear from his fist and Vince was down for the

count and they hauled him away in an ambulance. By the end of the day Kelli and I had given statements and been photographed, Both Kelli and

I had declined medical treatment and there was an emergency restraining order against Vince so he couldn't come within two hundred feet of Kelli. I had driven her down to the police station for the restraining order and we were riding home in silence when Eli came to my mind. He had said I would have to make some quick decisions and to trust my instincts. I had definitely made a quick decision when I head butted Vince and I did that on instinct. I didn't have time to think it through. Had I though about it I might not of had the nerve or strength to do what I did.

I looked over at Kelli sitting there in silence and I asked her, "Are you going to be okay?" She just shrugged her shoulders and looked straight ahead. "Kelli how long has this been going on?"

There was no sound from her for a full minute and I was going to let it drop but she finally said, "A few months."

"This bad?" She shook her head no so I pressed ahead and said, "So he's getting worse."

"Yes." We were almost home when she asked me, "Are you okay?" "I'm okay Kelli. I won't look very pretty come tomorrow but I'm okay."

"I still can't believe he did that."

"He sure caught me off guard."

"That's what he's best at."

"You can bet that will never happen again." I had a choice of taking her to her door or to my place so I chose my place and said, "You need a drink before I take you home." She didn't argue and we were soon in my kitchen.

I fixed us each a double of scotch with just a splash of water and handed it to her. I tapped her glass with mine and said, "To better days." She didn't comment but tipped the glass up and took a big sip of it and closed her eyes as the warmth of the scotch slipped down her throat. We stood there in silence and had a few more sips and then I put my hand up to her face and gently touched her. She closed her eyes again and started to cry. I just took her glass and set them both down and pulled her close and put my arms around her. She held on to me and cried for some time and I didn't talk but just held her close hoping she might feel safe at least for the moment. That was how we stayed for awhile, standing in the kitchen with my back against the counter and our arms around each other.

Kelli had settled down and eased her hold on me a little and we looked at each other. "Aaron where did you ever learn to do that?"

"Do what?"

"That ramming thing with your head."

"I have no idea. I mean I have heard of it but that's all."

"Really?"

"I'm not a fighter and had I stopped to think about it I wouldn't have had the nerve to do that. I operated on instinct just as Eli said."

"What do you mean?" I told her about my latest conversation with him and she just shook her head.

"He may be weird but he had that part right anyway."

"He sure did."

I still had my arms around her and was absentmindedly softly rubbing her back and she just leaned into me and put her cheek against me. "Thank you Aaron for...well for everything."

"I couldn't stand by and watch him hit you and not do something. I like you and I know you deserve far better than that."

"Would you do one more thing for me?" "Of course."

"Would you walk me home?"

"Whenever you're ready." She took one more sip of scotch and said, "I'm ready. I just hope I can sleep tonight."

"Let me show you something" and I led her to my bedroom door. If you find you don't want to be in that house alone come back over here. My backdoor will be unlocked so just come in and sing out."

"I don't want to ruin your sleep too on top of everything else."

"I'm serious. Come back over and I'll see that you're safe and comfortable."

"Thank you it helps just knowing I can do that."

I walked her home and when we reached her door I stopped and said, "Call me in the morning or just come over okay?"

"You have to work tomorrow."

"The world won't stop turning if I'm late or don't show up."

"Okay." I tried to pick a spot that wasn't likely to be tender and kissed her cheek and stepped back. "Remember, if you can't sleep come over."

"I will. Goodnight."

"Night Kelli" and I went home to bed.

Chapter Nine

I had little trouble sleeping and woke just after seven. I got my shower out of the way and then dressed and went to make coffee. I was just nicely into my second cup when my backdoor opened and she slipped in. "Good morning."

"Oh hi I didn't know if you'd be up yet."

"More or less how are you this morning?"

"I'm okay how about you?"

"I'm fine."

"You're bruise is bigger."

"Yeah he got me pretty good. Are you hungry?"

"Not very but you go ahead." I made some quick eggs as we tried to talk about anything but the altercation and I kept her coffee cup full. Before I could get any farther than standing up to put my dirty dishes in the dishwasher she was up and did it for me. "You don't have to do that, I'm supposed to be taking care of you."

"Oh and why is that?"

"Because I want to."

She stepped forward and kissed me lightly and said, "You've already done more for me than you realize."

I didn't know what to say to that other than, "Have you decided what you'll do now?"

"Yes."

"Please tell me it isn't forgiving him and letting him come home and hit you yet again."

"No that isn't an option." It wasn't my business what she was going to do but I wanted to make sure she wasn't going to fall into that battered spouse that keeps going back for more abuse.

Kelli actually smiled and asked me, "How will you explain your bruise at work?"

"I'll tell them I fell in the yard." She gave me another embrace and said, "I'm okay Aaron I really am. I have an errand to run so I better get going." I quickly wrote down my phone numbers and told her,

"Call me if you need anything or if I can help you in any way or better yet just come over."

"Thanks I will but I'm stronger than you think."

"I'm sure you are." After she was gone I had a few more sips of coffee and then changed and went to work.

I went over to Sara's Friday night and we were to meet Mark and Kay for dinner. I hadn't said anything about my encounter with Vince to anybody so when Sara saw me her eyes went wide and she asked me, "What did you do?"

"I didn't duck."

"Duck away from what?"