Omega Pride Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"As to why they might hate you," Wyatt spoke up after a few moments, causing Delphi to stop and quickly look up at him again, "I am not entirely sure myself, but I have a guess. It never occurred to me until now, since the last person accepted into the pack was the father of that Omega you speak to over 80 years ago. You being accepted the pack into might have some of them both enraged and jealous."

Delphi made a face and her scent changed to match it, "Why? Because they're not used to me?"

"No," Wyatt shook his head. "Wolves in our pack that were born or alive during the reign of my father were, among other things, put under both his barbaric discipline and 'Survival of the Fittest' ways."

"I heard about that." Delphi looked down. "I was told...that he made child soldiers out of pack pups and killed Omegas."

Wyatt nodded at her answer. "In the earlier years of his reign, many of the wolves had to endure watching him slaughter friends and family of theirs that didn't reach that quota. It also didn't help that he was a purist."

"Purist? Him? In what way?" Delphi asked, a little confused.

"Even if they did make that ridiculous quota, he hated the idea of wolves that were formerly human, sometimes even more so than weak wolves. He often referred to them as 'rotting flesh' and killed off turned wolves, any humans that were mated or destined mates to pack members, and their mates." Wyatt looked at Delphi, "Though this may not pertain to you, the first part I believe does. Even though I don't agree with my father's beliefs, many others may feel that it's unfair for a wolf like you—"

"To be able to live, as weak as I am compared to them," Delphi finished that statement.

"I don't believe you're weak, but yes," Wyatt told her. "Those who weren't born during his reign don't truly understand this, but the elder wolves drilled it into their heads as well, thus, their unidentifiable hatred for you."

"But...even before I came, wasn't there a way for you to get them to...not drill such thoughts into their heads?" Delphi asked.

"I have stopped the practices of my father, removed that purist belief, and outright banned violence toward weaker wolves of the pack. But I cannot stop what it is that they're thinking, saying, or teaching their young," Wyatt looked over at her after staring ahead. "I can't control their free will, but I will confront them on it."

It was only a few minutes more before Wyatt said anything again. "On that day when you came into my study, were others projecting their thoughts to you?"

This time, Delphi didn't stop walking, hopping over a dip. "No. They weren't projecting to me at all." She looked to the side at him. "It was more like...I could read their thoughts, whether I wanted to or not, drowning my own thoughts out of my head." She looked back ahead as she skipped over a pothole. "I was a little worried...what you would do if you had heard it."

"And that is why you dropped the subject when I asked," Wyatt looked over at her.

"Yeah, well. I thought it would be a bad thing." She hoped over another rut in ground. "You've really calmed down since I first met you, but obviously when you get angry, you can getreally angry—and why are there suddenly so many potholes on my side?"

The question definitely seemed to have caught him off guard because Delphi could have sworn she heard a quiet chuckle come from him.

"Well, it's either the holes or the river," Wyatt said lightheartedly, the most lighthearted she'd heard from him, and was half tempted to see if he was actually smiling or not. "And as for my attitude, when I first met you I was in a Mating Frenzy. I had been pent up, anxious, and you being in the area without seeking me did not help."

Delphi looked up at him. "Hey, you already know why. We've been over that. Anywho, I thought...that maybe you—"

"That I couldn't handle it," Wyatt finished for her.

To this she nodded, "And could have snapped at them. Yeah."

"Could you read my thoughts?" Wyatt asked almost curiously.

"No," Delphi stated in a matter-of-fact tone. "To be honest, that was one of the reasons I stayed close by in the last few days. If not you, then Madame Alpha Adeline, and if not her then one of the Betas that were stronger than Madame Beta Beatrix and Beta Emmanuel. I don't know how really, but I can't read others' minds when someone profoundly stronger than me is close by."

"Hm," Wyatt thought on it, "I have honestly yet to meet a wolf other than you that has that ability outside of projection, Delphi."

Delphi looked up at him when he said that before slowly looking down.

"That doesn't mean that it's a bad thing, Delphi," Wyatt got her attention.

She looked back at him, and seeing the sincerity in his eyes, she smiled.

They soon found themselves talking about everything, dropping several weights from their minds. From their life, birth packs, childhood, and dare they even say it, nitty-gritty things such as personal likes and dislikes as they reached the first crossover at Rapides Sarvakuluk.

Wyatt was even a bit surprised at how swiftly, gracefully, and smoothly she jumped from each rock that was barely above water level. About the time they had made it another 10 miles, the sun had almost finished its descent behind most of the trees.

"Think we should stop here for the night," Delphi said with a sigh of fatigue as she started taking off her pack and bending down in front of a tree with its roots halfway dug up. The roots looked to be a comfortable, temporary den that would and could shelter them both.

She looked over at Wyatt, "From what I remember, any hunters out here would normally turn in this time of night."

"So there are hunters out here too," Wyatt followed suit, though nowhere nearly as weary as she was.

"Don't doubt it for a second," Delphi replied. "I remember one of the two Deltas of the old pack, Aline, had gotten shot for being too careless."

Wyatt turned to look at her, his eyebrows knitted. "They still hunt wolves out here?" Back in Wyoming, though it took a while, it was now illegal to kill wolves. He had no idea that this wasn't so in Quebec.

"For their pelts mostly." Delphi let out another sigh, "Aline was alright though. Barely nicked her muzzle and she often joked about it even after it healed up... But that's why if we shifted during the day away from the pack lands, it is always best for one of us to stay human. Gave them the belief that we were 'owned' by whoever was in human form."

The look of reminiscence remained in Delphi's eyes a little while longer before she seemed to catch her second wind, got up, and started removing her clothes and putting them in the now useful pack. "Also, this time of night also means it would be easier to hunt animals that are settling down themselves."

Wyatt could see his wolf grin—if that was even possible—and let out a growl of approval. He had never seen Delphi hunt before and was curious to see her do so. "Sure you'll be up to the hunt? You seem tired." With his lips' corners twitching, he got up and stripped down too.

Delphi shifted into her wolf form, feeling great relief from finally being back out in the real Québec wilderness in this form,'I haven't been here in so long. I'm not going to miss it and let you do all the hunting yourself.'

Wyatt was a little surprised by the slight change in her demeanor, but that truly said a lot about how she was not only when she didn't feel pressured, but also when she felt entirely safe. As well, it truly showed how striking her spirit really was in the right environment.

Delphi watched as Wyatt shifted, his muscles still so taut in his wolf form. She took another glance at him before she turned and darted into the forest with him hot on her heels.

The fresh, cool night air hit their faces, fur, and lungs in a dynamic mix of ice and heat. The trees around them looked like unmarked signs guiding the way to the nearest prey and the snow under their paws took care of every step that could have made them boisterous.

Wyatt and Delphi slowed to a halt as they approached a female caribou merely minding its own business as it tried to settle in on the last night of its life. Each stalking step toward it brought both their bodies and breathing lower. Delphi's white, blond, and grey fur allowed her to blend easily into the snow; Wyatt's black and brown fur let him blend easier with the night-covered trees.

With a snort, the caribou quickly looked up, her eye darting around to catch even the faintest movement of the surrounding woodlands. Wyatt and Delphi stayed perfectly still, even holding their breaths for that moment as the female's eyes passed over them. They could hear her heart pumping quickly, unsure if she should rest or run. In all honesty, the sound of her quickly beating heart excited Wyatt's and Delphi's wolves greatly, but they had to reign in the temptation to just pounce until the time was just right, the time when her guard wasn't down.

However...They had no such luck.

The caribou was about to lower her head until she saw the slight subtle movement of Delphi's paw in the snow, causing a pounding alarm in her chest and instincts that told her to run far faster and harder than she ever had with any other previous wolf. That one, no,these ones were different!

Adrenaline and instinct took over both predators and prey as Delphi and Wyatt darted out to its sides, giving chase. They could easily finish this hunt, but where was the joy in that? As well, Delphi hadn't had caribou in over a decade and damn it, she and her wolf were going to have it and share it with their mate! The prey darted back and forth between trees and branches, unaware that her fate was inevitable as Delphi charged into its side, grabbing one of its legs in her jaws, causing the caribou to bellow and attempt its hardest to kick her off.

This told Wyatt that Delphi had only ever hunted smaller animals, because that was no way to take on something the size of an elk. From the caribou's distracted blind side, Wyatt lunged at it, grabbed her by the back of her neck, and dragged her down just as Delphi let go. The caribou attempted to let out another bellow in undisputed distraught, but just as it tried Delphi bit down hard on her esophagus and carotid artery, choking her before Delphi and Wyatt both moved their head swiftly and snapped the neck of the unfortunate female.

The now claimed prey's head landed with a soft thud in the snow. The adrenaline slowly started to diminish between the two wolves before they both looked at each other. Wyatt's wolf blinked lightly before he nodded his head and backed away a little for her to have first bite. Delphi's wolf gave off a smile as much as any wolf could as she nodded her head at him and invited him to partake with her. The chops of Wyatt's wolf twitched as he neared her and shared their kill.

~*~/~*~

"Who taught you how to hunt?" Wyatt asked curiously, as they headed their way back to their belongings after burying the remains of the caribou. With her history and from what she had shared of it, it didn't seem like she even had the time to learn between being with the abusive packs and the humans.

Delphi looked at him with a smile, "The Delta and Aline's mate Elliot taught me. Myself along with the other pups of the pack."

"How many pups were there?"

"Five. Myself, Cerise, and the triplets Pons, Rémi, and Élodie. The triplets were their pups." Delphi looked up at the first half moon. "But he never discriminated against me or Cerise because of our lower ranks. He always treated us equally. The first time he started teaching us, we were out hunting small prey. I got so distracted though and somehow or another ended up wondering off and hunting something myself."

"Really?" Wyatt raised an eyebrow. "How old were you?"

"Seven years old. It was a snow-shoed hare." Delphi let out a small laugh, "I had gotten in so much trouble that day. Then again, I was normally getting scolded anyway."

A hint of confusion and a bit more curiosity hit his scent, "Why?"

"For multiple reasons. Looking back on it, I would have scolded myself too." Delphi let out a sigh, "I wasn't quite impulsive, but mother and father always said I was too...what's the right word? ...willful and daring, doing things when and how I felt like it. I'd sometimes get the other four in trouble by having them follow me into some weird, crazy adventure or another when the adults weren't looking. I'd hunt things when I wasn't supposed to, get into dominance rough-housing with any of the four, and if someone told me something of a fact of some kind, I had to ask why and I wouldn't take just a 'yes, no, maybe so, or because' for an answer. My mother always discouraged me from acting like that, said it wasn't right for an Omega like me to act like...like a..." Delphi cheery voice started to lose its brightness as she quieted down.

"Like an Alpha?" Wyatt picked up where she dropped off.

"...Yes." Delphi glanced over at him, "Like an Alpha."

Wyatt debated on how to ask the next question. If he said it outright, he knew she'd start getting defensive again. "Why did they scold you for that?"

"Well isn't it pretty obvious?" Delphi shrugged at him. "It's no way an Omega should act and—"

"Delphi," Wyatt interrupted, seeing she was beating around the bush as her eyes glanced back and forth, "Really? Why did they punish you?"

"Well," Delphi cleared her throat, "I did mean that it wasn't correct to act like that in my...my birth position, but also my mother told me she didn't want me to display things in front of the Alphas. She often seemed to worry that I could potentially become a Beta in the pack."

"Only a Beta?" Wyatt questioned, not believing it for a second. Why would being risen to a higher rank be a bad thing?

Delphi shook her head after a while. "No... She always had a scared look in her eyes and scent when she had to scold me over things like that. I think...that she was scared because I could almost keep up if not compete against the triplets who were five years my senior who've actually had battle training when I was only eight, that I could one day...surpass and challenge the Alphas at my rate."

"So you being an Omega was instilled in you," Wyatt summed up, a part of him feeling angry, "and enforced by not only your pack but the ones after that."

"It was easier to deal with. Just be an Omega, forsaking such actions and thoughts—"

"So you could become timid, scared, and unsure of yourself? It made you weaker than what you are, than who you really are."

"And then what, Wyatt?" Delphi eyes shot at him. "Had I not accepted what I have been taught, you would have never even met me, I'm sure. I might have been long dead...or something...and I have no idea how to run a pack—"

"But something tells me that you had good instincts on how to," Wyatt spoke softly, "...And you more than likely still have them. You need to unearth those instincts."

Delphi said nothing for a while as she looked down, once again her wolf was silent on this matter. But...it laid heavily on her mind as they headed back and shifted back to their wolf forms as they reached their belongings and their temporary shelter.

'I'll...see if I can,'Delphi sent to him,'I'll see and find out what I can do to do so.'

Wyatt looked over her after a moment before he put his forehead against hers.'I know you can. I'll help you in any way you need me,'he projected back after a while.

In her mind, Delphi had a flimsy, nervous smile, but she nodded to him before going inside the shelter after him and curling up next to him. She drifted to sleep before he did.

~/~/~

Wyatt's eyes flickered open before he started to stretch with a yawn, but he noticed something was off as soon as he had done so. He looked to the side of him. Where was Delphi?

He glanced around and went outside the shelter, 'Mate? Mate where are you?'

No answer.

He looked in all directions. He could sense that she was in no danger nor was she passed out.'Delphi?'

He quickly turned his head toward the sound of a rustle. There she was. She was apparently dragging a young caribou—most likely one that belonged to the female from last night—toward him, but why in her wolf form?

'Delphi why didn't you tell me you had left?'he projected at her.

Once more, he did not receive an answer from her as she simply dropped the caribou—in which he could now see was a young bull who had already started to develop horns—in front of him and looked him in the eye, a glow in hers. That told him why she wasn't answering him: this was her wolf in control, not her. Looking deeper between their bond, Delphi wasn't even awake yet.

'What are you doing wandering around this early?'he asked her.

Delphi's wolf merely snorted, looking down at the dead caribou before looking back at him and rearing her head slightly. The corners of Wyatt's lips twitched as he neared her and it. She took that as a signal to start eating and he joined her. After they finished and buried it, Wyatt could see that her wolf was still in control. She was...different from Delphi. In everything. When she sat, she had a very strong, elegant, confident, and high posture. When she looked him the eye, it didn't seem like she had to will herself to keep looking, and even the way she glanced around and moved declared nothing but that she had the air of an Alpha wolf. Wyatt stared at her in a bit of amazement as she covered the last bit of the bones.

'Delphi,'he tried to get her attention, but she simply wouldn't respond to the name. Wyatt thought about the many conversations they had yesterday and remembered she had come out and told him the name she had only gone by when she was younger. Maybe... 'Delphinia.'

Calling her that made her turn around and look over at him. Why was that so?

At that moment she snorted once more, a look in her eye that confused him a little. Was it possible that she could read his mind even in this state?

At that Delphi's wolf nodded her head at him, surprising him even further,'Why is it that you can when your human side can't?'

She said nothing to him, just merely sat down and stared at him.

'Mate, tell me why you won't tell your other half anything of what happened to your past packs and of the missing memories? And from the looks of it, that you can control—'

Delphi's wolf started growling both threateningly and warningly, getting up.

'Don't growl at me,'Wyatt's eyes narrowed at her, but she didn't even so much as blink as she kept eye contact,'Why won't you tell Delphi anything?'

She barked hostilely at him, barking an aggressive warning at him, her body posture spoke heavily of pure defiance.

'Delphinia,'He let out a low growl, but she barked back louder, refusing to submit and cease her behavior.

Instead, she bounded right by him and into their temporary den without so much as another thought. She let the glow fade from her eyes and she collapsed as her body slowly started to shift back into Delphi's sleeping human form.

That confrontation was strange. Delphi's wolf downright refused to tell him anything as well, but she seemed like she didn't want to fight him despite not submitting either. It definitely wasn't that her wolf didn't know anything. She knew all too good and well, but she refused to tell anyone, including Delphi. Also, why was it that Delphi's wolf was so much more dominant and aggressive in personality than Delphi? Could it that while the mentality of an Omega was instilled into Delphi, she actually wasn't one? But that made no sense. Surely, with things that way there was no way Delphi could be so convinced she was an Omega and she could never just ignore her wolf if she was aware of this. So how come things were like this? He turned over as he heard Delphi let out a waking groan and yawn.