On the Edge of Forever Part 1

Story Info
Part 1 of the city of darkness.
2.5k words
2
12.1k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Once know as the best city in the world. San Marcye had it all. A great beach, 2-time World Series Champions, held the Olympics and the World's Fair. Barely no murders, suicides, or even petty car thefts and no fires. So there was need to have over 200 officers on the police and fire department.

On June, Friday the 9th, 2000, the day all of it changed. That day a child was born. At the same time of his birth, a total eclipse happened. The city went into a solar darkness. And it's been twenty years since that day.

Now in the city, people run around like their life depended on it. Once a city filled with happiness and fun has turned to a city full of greed and forgetfulness. Since most people don't remember those days.

Chapter 1
Saturday 4:00 am

"Let's go down here," a man while starting to walk down a dark alley.

"But it's almost 4 a.m." the woman says while looking down the alley.

"Come on, baby," and the man disappears into the darkness.

Starting to walk down the alley, "Ok, where are you." She starts to walk backwards and hits something, "Why are on the -- AHHHH!" And the woman falls to the ground

5:30 am

"Why was I drag out of bed before even the sunrise," the cheif said yelling at the officers.

"We thought you ought to see this," one officer said while showing the chief to the crime scene.

"What then, WHAT!" the chief said while looking at the white sheet on the ground.

"This," as the officer lifted up the sheet. And what lay was what use to be a body of a woman the had been torn apart.

"Well there goes breakfast, I never seen the chief like that," an officer said, "I'll get my partner and go see her brother."

Chapter 2
7:30am

Now its June 10th, 2020. In a little apartment 6 on the 9th floor in the building on Park South and East Snake Rd. A man named Joe Cosmo gets up out of bed with a hangover.

He starts to go to the Kitchen when there is someone pounding at his door. "Yeah," Cosmo says.

"Sir, could you please open the door," the person on the other side.

Cosmo slowly opens the door and sees two officers outside his door.

"I'm Officer Bill Jones and this is my partner, Officer Steve James," Jones says while walking in the door. "Sir, can you answer some questions about last night?"

Cosmo tries to remember the night before and his head starts to hurt. "I wish I could remember last night," Cosmo says, "Why? What is this all about?"

Officer Jones sighs and says, "There was a murder--"

"More like a slaughter," Officer James jumps in to say.

Officer Jones signs again and says "Last night, your sister, Jill, was killed." Cosmo couldn't believe it, he goes to a chair to sit down. Officer Jones starts again, "some people say that you were with her last night."

Cosmo, siting in a chair across from the two officers, trying to remember the night before but his hangover was stopping that from happening.

"You're the number one suspect," Officer Jams says.

"We're not going to arrest you," Officer Jones says, "but don't leave the city unless we tell you that you can." Turning towards the door, "Thank you for your time."

Still trying to remember the night before, Cosmo quickly realizes that "I haven't left the city for twenty years."

Officer James turns and says, "Then it be easier no to leave then," and then continues to walk out the door.

Cosmo shuts the door and wonders what he just said.

Chapter 3

The officers walk out of the building and starts to go to their car. "Seemed kind of out of it, don't you think?" Officer James said while waiting for the 'Don't Walk' sign to change.

Officer Jones stops and reads the street names to himself, "Park (50) and Snake Rd. (40), now what do I d--"

"We can go now," James says.

"What did he mean by not leaving the city?" Jones asked.

"Last time I the city was --" Jones face goes to blank, "-- umm --" trying to remember and then gives up, "-- I can't remember."

The officers get in their car and start driving down Park going south towards downtown.

"What time is it, Steve?" Jones asks while looking out the windows.

"It's 8:20," Steve says.

"a.m. or p.m.?" Bill asks.

"a.m. Why? What are you thinking, Bill?" Steve asks.

"I don't know, its just -- LOOK OUT!" Bill screams.

*As I looked at the kid in front of the car, about to be run over, he gives an evil smile and then disappears. Our hits the back of a bus and I get knocked out.*

Chapter 4

Cosmo starts to walk to work and sees a bum sitting on the ground in front of a appliance store.

"Have you watch TV in the 30 minutes?" the bum says to Cosmo.

"No, why?" Cosmo says.

"Well you better look," the bum said while starting to point at a tv, just as he did a news bulletin came on.

"At 8:20 a.m., a crash happened at Park South and Hollywood Ave., it included a bus and 4 cars. Nine people are dead including Officer Steve James and 45 people are in serious condition including Captain Bills Jones and --" the news woman continues.

"They were the same two guys that came to my house this mourning," Cosmo couldn't believe what he just heard.

"Yes, its the evil that's is in this city, its awakening, be careful Joe," the bum says looking at the sky.

"I'll remember tha-- wait, how do you know my name?" Cosmo says with a puzzled face.

"That's easy, to know where it is and who is next, that's the hard part," the bum says while still looking at the sky, "Be careful young Joe."

Joe continues to walk down the street to work thinking about all that has happened.

Chapter 5
12:07 a.m.

Cosmo was walking down Snake Rd. when he saw the bum that he talked to the day before. Cosmo starts to follow the bum to an alley with police tape in a certain area.

The bum goes to the tape area and puts down two flowers in the middle of a pool of dried blood and puts down something I can't make out what it is. Then the bum walked to the end ot the alley where stood a wall. He walked though it and the door shut and disappeared. I went up to the police tape and looked down at the two flowers. A red rose and a black rose, crossed at the stems with a symbol connecting the two flowers.

Something caught my eye, a note with my name on it. I opened it up and started to read it, "Joe, you shouldn't have followed me. The dried in front of you is your sister's. That is where she died. Also you have been followed, very slowly look at the entrance of the alley, one on the left and one on the right." As it was written was true. I continued to read the note, "You have endangered not just you and me. Behind the dumpster is an open manhole, go in it and use the directions on the back to get to the subway station. You have 30 minutes to get there to for the West bound to get home.

Chapter 6
Sunday 6:00 a.m.

Alarm buzzing.

"6:00 a.m.!" Joe says, "Why did my alarm go off at 6:00 a.m.? Who is that bum?" As he starts to get out bed. "And hoe did he know all of that?"

"Easy, just like knowing that you're not helping our cause," a woman said.

She looked like a bum with two guys behind he that looked the same.

"Why do you say we are bums?" she asks.

"How did you know what I was thinking," I said with a stunned face.

"Easy," she said. "He wants to talk to you at 12:01 a.m. in the chapel at 345E and 206S tonight"

Then they walked out my bedroom door and when the door closed, they disappeared.

Chapter 7
Monday 12:00 a.m.

With the twelve bells happening, I tried to open the doors but they were locked. At 12:01 there was a lighting bolt that hit the clock tower then thunder that I could see. And the doors of the building opened. "Does this happen every night?" I asked.

"Yes, Joe, it is a signal," the woman from this mourning said. "Follow me, he awaits."

I start to follow her into a great hall with red and black roses on the wall with the symbol everywhere. She tells me to sit down in the first seat.

"We are in the church of darkness," he said as he came out of a back room and walked to the podium.

"Satanic?" I asked.

"Far from it," he said while looking up, " I am the leader of a sociality that people can't know about. If they found out then there will be mass rioting and this empire will fall."

"How can I help?" I asked.

He turned to me and said, "You must not talk about what has happened in the last few days." He started to walk back to the room that he came out of, "Now you must go. Good-bye, Joe." Then the door shut behind him.

Chapter 8

I walked out of the chapel and looked at the sky and saw little tiny lights. I looked at the clock tower, it was about 3:00 a.m. I started to walk back home when I looked at the tower again and it was hit by a lighting bolt and the visible thunder happened. I looked at the sky again and the tiny lights were gone.

I was walking toward the corner of Park South and Hollywood Ave. When I saw somebody standing against the lamp post.

"Hello, Joe," he said. "How's your sister? Ohh Yeah, I forgot, she's dead. Joe, you should have been there to hear her screams."

I started running toward him, about to hit him but he disappeared and I hit my shoulder against the lamp post. Then he reappeared. Then police car pulls up and the guy disappeared again.

"Joe, is that you?" the officer asked.

"Yea, who are you?" I asked trying to get up.

"Here, let me help you," he helps me get onto my feet. "It's me, Jones, looks like your shoulder is dislocated," then he popped my shoulder back into place. "Let's go back to the hospital."

"Yea," I said as we got into the car.

As we were going down the road he asked me, "When was the last time you saw the sun?"

"I don't know, what were the tiny lights in the sky tonight?" I asked.

"Stars? You saw stars?" Bill said, "when did you see them?"

"Right before 3 a.m." I said looking out the window.

"Where were you at?" Bill asked.

"At 345 East and 206," I said. Bill dropped me off at the hospital and I got a room and went to sleep.

Chapter 9

I was going to where Joe had said to check the place out. On one corner there was a chapel.

"Hello, Bill," someone said behind me.

"Who's there?" I asked trying to figure out who he is.

"Do you know what this is?" he said while lifting up a weapon.

Looking at it, I quickly realize, "That's the knife from the Jill Cosmo murder."

"Do you remember the line on it?" he said.

" 'This is only the beginning' ," I said.

"Yes, written perfectly on the blade. But now covered by Jill Cosmo's blood," he said.

"Your under arrest for the murder of Jill Cosmo," I pulled out my gun and pointed it straight at him. "You have the right to remain silent, anything..." I stop cause he disappeared.

"You do it, Bill, we will kill you," he said, "Think Bill, you can't arrest me."

"Put your hands up," I say.

"Where you are going, these laws don't apply," he said as he started to run towards me with the knife and...

Chapter 10

I woke up to get my shoulder checked on and the news came on. The woman said, "There was a vicious murder this morning at Houston Rd and Cane Lane, Officer Bill Jones was found..."

I started running out of the hospital and to my apartment. As I was running down the sidewalk, they were everywhere. I got into my apartment, I locked the every door and hid in my bedroom. Then the phone rang and I went to pick it up.

"Hello, Joe," he was on the line, "No, I'm right behind you."

"How did you get in?" I asked.

"You can't lock your closet door, Joe," he said.

"Why did you let me die, Joe?" a woman on the other side of the phone said.

"Jill?" I said. "But they said you were dead."

"No," Jill said, "could you let me talk to him?"

"Ok," I said, "She wants to talk to you."

"Ok," he said, "Ok Jill, I will." Then he flipped the phone in his hand and hit me in the back of my head and knocked me out.

Chapter 11

"Joe, wake up, it's time," he said.

"Time for what?" I ask.

"You will see," he said while looking at the clock tower when the twelve bells was happening. "Now," and the lighting struck the tower then the thunder wave. "We got three hours, let's go."

We started out the apartment building and we walked to the clock tower and went up the stairs.

"21 years ago, S.T.A.R. and my family took the city and people of San Marcye to the edge of space to live. My son was the first child born in these conditions. And there hasn't been any sunlight let in since. But tonight will be the first," he said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well take a look," he said.

I saw a yellow ball of light. I could see everything below by its light. And at a snap of his fingers the sun quickly set behind some buildings. Then I could see the stars I seen the night before.

"Wow," I said.

"Yea," he said, "I hope I can show everyone what you are seeing."

"Why don't you?" I asked.

And Joe hit the ground. There the blood was spilling out of his head and I say, "It's not the time to, Joe," while putting the smoking gun into Joe's hand.

"What should the note say?" a woman asks.

"It says 'With the pressure of the three people I have killed, I made a decision' ," I say. "What time is it?"

"3 a.m." she says.

"Perfect," I say.

And the lighting strikes the tower and the thunder wave shook the city, a city in darkness.