Once Upon a Time

Story Info
Two hearts, yet a single destiny.
6.3k words
4.16
17.2k
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'Twas a different time, a different place. Where mythical creatures lived, sorcerer's reigned and royalty ruled the day and others. 'Tis a tale filled with magic, deception, pain, pleasure and perhaps love. A story which is as old as time itself but as fresh as the morning dew. It all begins, once upon a time.

The young woman who lived here did so reluctantly. You knew you came from royalty, 'twas a burden you had worn as easily as the finery which adorned your body every single day. Yet you longed for something different, something better not only for yourself but for all those who one day would look upon you as queen, a day which you dreaded might come sooner than later. Your mother had died, the harshness of winter and her class not any more kind to her than to the others of the village who the difficult season had claimed. For your father he seemed to grow older, more worn with each passing day and you feared the consequences of the words you had heard spoken that previous evening, words you were not supposed to have been privy to.

Addison, the sorcerer who was your father's counsel had spoken. He had always treated you with kindness, compassion, concern but though his words were true they still brought a chill to your bones.

"An heir my lord, you must have an heir and to do so your daughter must marry. I fear time is of the essence and if god willing you shall leave this mortal earth these lands will befall to evil times. You have many friends but I fear you also have enemies who will stop at nothing to insure that they would lay waste the spoils before them. You require an heir."

You could only watch as your father nodded his agreement, a sign which brought tears to your eyes. To be married off like some prize to be won in a contest like those at the Reaping fair, like a symbol to validate a man was not the lot in life you had pictured.

That night, as the castle slept you dressed. The clothes were some you had taken great stealth in procuring, the look when finished like that of one of the peasant girls who were from the local village. Your dark hair cascading down your back, festooned with flowers instead of in the normal, proper, prim look of being on top of your head. Your brown eyes watching closely as you crept through the pathways leading to the hidden entranceway, one that you had found as a child while exploring. Now, it provided you with the cover you needed to venture forth once again, though not in the anonymity you thought. There was another, a dark presence watching your every move.

The evening was indeed late but there still were many about. This was to be another in your weekly forays to see the people, the faceless entities which it seemed were as bound as you were to them. You sighed, walking down the dusty path, your eyes cast downward trying not to draw attention to yourself, wondering how you could know what was best for the minions if you knew nothing about them? 'Twas a dilemma indeed, one you had hoped to find an answer to but you feared your time was quickly running out like the sands of the hourglass in Addison's study. The local tavern was filled with the sounds of laughter and merriment though you dare not enter. The sign of a young woman unescorted would surely draw not only suspicion but also the wrong sort.

The glass showed all, shining with a glow, following your every movement. The woman who watched, her hands stroking at the ball like someone might their pet, encouraging it with soothing words, her eyes of grey open wide as the opportunity she had waited for presented itself and she watched, knowing what was to come, her smile not quite reaching her eyes. Some called her enchantress, others witch, her proper name was Lady Calias and she had waited a lifetime to settle a score. Now, it would be her time. There were three of them, the birds as black as night, the crows which circled one intent upon you, the others moving ahead, preparing, and waiting.

The two who even now took human form waiting for you to turn the corner of the path. The third alighting to take shape and prepare to come to your inevitable rescue. None of them, or their dark Mistress aware of the stranger who would play a pivotal role, perhaps changing nothing or may haps everything.

"Well, well what have we here?"

You stopped, the words coming to you from ahead, the two men striding from the woods. They were large, their bodies and hair badly in need of repair though you tried not to show your disgust.

"Good evening m'lords, I pray thee long days and pleasant nights upon you."

"Ah, a maiden with manners though I must admit 'tis not her manners I find so pleasing, how about you Andrew?"

The second man began to walk away, the two of them circling as he laughed harshly. "No, manners aren't important when it comes to flesh like this, right my Jimbo?"

"How dare you speak to me in such a manner, I would have my" and with a gasp you felt a hand grab you roughly by the arm, the man's face, his breath stinking with the smell of the earth, his eyes wide as he said,

"Come on my lovely, give us a kiss and we'll get properly acquainted."

"I would not advise that, if he kisses as he looks it will certainly prove to be quite unpleasant."

The voice was soft, the words spoken calmly as the figure appeared from the shadows. His hair was long, colored as yours, his eyes a brilliant blue though at the moment they appeared dark, almost black as he strode confidently toward the pair. The falcon he carried on his arm, its eyes of gold flicking between the two men as if measuring them, his own senses alert to the fact there was more to them than in the way they appeared. All of this fell under the cold eye of the dark woman, whose anger began to turn the picture in the glass red, rose tinted as her blood began to boil at the thought of another's interference in her carefully orchestrated plan.

The figure that even now drew closer and closer did not appear to be the one the two men had been expecting. This man seemed different, his bearing confident, his eyes showing nothing until he stopped, the sound of your quick scream as the hulking figure grabbed you by the hair, his face contorting with anger saying,

"This is a private matter sir and I would advise you to simply walk away if you know what is good for you."

He simply stood there, seemingly unaware of the second man who even now stepped closer, nearly within reach of him from behind. "I fear not, I will leave only if the lady so desires and I think she does not, is that true miss?"

You managed to nod your head but your eyes grew wide at the sight of the man, blade in hand who appeared ready to strike.He moved quickly, the thrust carrying the razor edge slashing at the air where he had just stood. The bird flew from his arm, its talons going by your face to rake at your former tormentor's eyes, his screams echoing in the night. You watched in horror as the animal slashed, blood spurting from the man's face though when you turned around it was to no more pretty a sight. The fellow had fallen to his knees, his sword slipping from his fingers, a knife embedded in his throat. As quickly as it had happened, it ended. A sharp whistle, the falcon returning to its perch, the man turning toward you saying,

"I'm sorry m'lady, I wish you had not been forced to witness such things but I felt it best" and with that his words curiously stopped.

He dropped like a stone, you were as unaware as he the thin needle which had pierced his neck and as you quickly began to run towards him you too felt the sting. It was sudden, the effect immediate as you tumbled to the ground, lying still as the third man walked from the woods to stand over the two of you, holstering his weapon. Each of your arms were extended, your hands almost reaching as if two lovers and with an angry oath, the tall, raven haired man kicked the one man's hand away. Looking up into the night as if seeking divine guidance he listened to his Mistress's call and obeyed.

When you awoke it was to the light of day spilling in from your window. You sat up, your hand reaching to your neck which was sore, though there was no mark; no evidence of what had transpired the night before. The door to your room opened the sight of your father and Addison, their faces solemn at first, though a smile tried to appear on the elder's face.

"Thank god you're alright daughter; you gave me a terrible fright." His hand took yours as you attempted to rise but suddenly realized how very tired and weak you felt.

"If it had not been for Lord Alexander's presence I fear what might have been." It was only then that you noticed the pair standing in the doorway, the man his eyes as black as his mane of hair, the woman beside him with long tresses of silver, her eyes colored the same.

"I, I don't understand, there was another, a dark haired stranger, he." your words trailing off as the large figure moved closer, his eyes looking down upon you saying,

"My enchantress saw your plight m'lady and sent me. I killed two of them, wounding the third. He is now a prisoner in your father's dungeon and will pay the price for his actions."

You tried to speak, the words he spoke so confusing, the thoughts of the night before so cloudy in your mind.

"Tis a lucky thing, the crystal shone to me misses, allowing me to call my Master to your aid. As your father said, it could have been horrible, truly horrible if the three had been allowed" her words spoken softly but her contempt for your situation obvious to you though no one else seemed to notice.

"No, that is I've never seen him before, I just can't remember what" as once again you struggled to find the words, the thoughts.

"There, there m'lady, Lady Calias has been kind enough to prepare a tea, something to help you rest."

It was useless; the wretched woman holding the cup to your lips, almost forcing you to drink the bitter liquid.

"All will be better soon daughter, sleep well and know you are safe. Lord Alexander and his advisor will be staying with us until I determine what this attack signifies and the man who dared touch you will pay for his impudence with his life, a lesson to be heard far and wide for those who would stoop to such actions."

Your eyes slowly closed, the lashes fluttering as the darkness claimed you but you remembered as you succumbed, the smile on the woman's lips though her eyes showed no such sign of life.

Twas nightfall again before you awoke, unaware of the goings on that had filled the castle during your slumber. Your father and his long standing friend could be excused for their ignorance, a spell which had indeed allowed the enchantress to modify her plan, allowing her control over all the participants in the game to be under one roof, all under her control. There were only two liabilities, you and the stranger who even now lay in chains, his body stripped of its dignity, his eyes blinded from sight, his cries unheard except by one.

He heard her approach, her footsteps giving her away but when he heard her speak, the words of kindness, of concern saying,

"M'lord, are you alright? I have been so worried", the sound almost musical to his ears. "There is great confusion; another says he came upon us, rescuing me from you and the others. Please, tell me that you meant me no harm, that you would not have." The words again trailing off but this time to her surprise his growing loud, his body tearing at his bonds.

"You will not trick me sorceress, the woman I saved knows my intentions, she saw them in my eyes and in my heart."

Her laughter was cold, almost as cold as his surroundings as she spat forth, "You are far too wise for your years good sir, a trait you will not have for long I think." She allowed her hands to reach out, touching his flesh. It was like being caressed by the dead, the touch almost inhumane, his cries growing loud.

"You will suffer greatly but you will also give me what I require, 'tis far too long since I've taken a soul, a very life being which keeps me on this mortal soil." Reaching down, between his legs, sending a scream into the night as she smiled, the thoughts of what pleasures might be found, what pain might be inflicted as intoxicating as any strong drink.

"I shall visit you again and we'll begin kind sir. Your suffering is music to my ears and I shall play you like the finest fiddle." The laughter which rang out echoed throughout the castle, stirring you in your sleep, a nightmare which had only just begun.

Lady Calias returned to her chambers, the man waiting patiently and as he arose she waved her hand. Within a heartbeat he was no longer, now an animal, a crow stood in his place.

"I need not hear your words; you need only listen to mine. Within a fortnight I shall convince the girl's father that you are the one who shall wed his daughter, the one to plant the seed. I will take care of that when the time comes. Her father and his lackey will both be tragically killed, leaving you and his daughter on the throne, a throne which I will control, this land taken from me so long ago once again rightfully mine. For now though, we have work to do. You will find the stranger's companion and you will kill him. There is a link there I fear, one he might try and take advantage of and I will suffer no fool. Now go."

The bird flew through the window, the lateness of the day showing in its shadows and with that came the night.

You truly were not sure if it were a dream or awakening. The room was dark, silent and as you opened your eyes you did so to see two gleaming at you. A scream bubbled at your lips but you kept it within as you saw the outline in the night, the shape of the falcon that was perched at the end of your bed. It was as if he were guarding you, keeping you safe from unseen harm. His head cocked quizzically, the look as if questioning why you remained in bed but in trying to get up you found you had no strength now whatsoever, a trait which the potion had only encouraged. You knew not why but you knew you must. Forcing yourself, you opened your mouth willing the words to say, "Your Master is in grave danger, you must help him. and me."

The bird seemed to be actually listening, focusing upon your words until suddenly he exploded into the air, swooping out the window and into the darkness. You wondered what had caused him to move so quickly, to leave but it was only then you heard the sound of the crow, his cawing and watched as he landed on the windowsill, looking in at you as if searching for something. All you could do was lay there, seeing his eyes dark and cold shining in the night until finally he grew tired of this and flew off, continuing his search and you once again allowed your body to rest. As you slept the dawn drew near and the 'morrow held yet another turn to our tale.

The next day when the broth and liquid were brought you favored your father with a smile though you partook as little as you could before feigning weakness and a desire for rest. Closing your eyes you could feel another's upon you but you lay still, giving all appearances of being asleep until finally you felt it safe. Only then did you allow yourself to pour the contents of the cup and bowl between the cracks of the floor only to tell your father when he returned how you had awoken and had finished them. As the day progressed you felt yourself slowly returning to normal, a bit of strength returning, a desire to break free of the spell which had surrounded this castle and all its inhabitants.

For now though, patience was to be rewarded, to be valued as you worked toward the prize. The events of only a night or so ago had once again begun to filter through your thoughts, another effect the witch's brew had brought upon and you thought it might perhaps prove handy after all.

You noticed the next few times that when your father or his counsel came to you their eyes seemed flat, their voices the same and you were correct in thinking that they too had been fed and drunk upon the same. They seemed listless, tired and as so you began to mimic their actions, to show the same symptoms, especially when you could feel your second sense warning you of prying eyes. You had never had such a gift before but somehow as the falcon had told his Master of danger in the woods he had shared with you the ability to notice certain things, a gift more precious than any gold or metal. It was that night that it truly proved to be a godsend when you felt her coming and prepared yourself for the worst.

The temperature in the room plummeted, the chill striking you even through the layers of blankets which covered your body. As you lay there, your hair strewn across the pillow, your eyes closed in respite you felt her hand touch your face and you had to fight not to shudder.

"Awaken child, I would have words with you", her hand falling to your shoulder to shake it. Your eyes slowly fluttered open; taking in the sight of the woman who it seemed had grown younger in only the two short days your paths had crossed somehow.

"Ah, hello my sleeping beauty, how are you feeling?"

"Tired, so very tired", your voice speaking the words, your posture showing it.

"Well, I'll let you rest some more I promise but first I need to make sure you remember what has happened here. Who saved you from your attackers' dearie?"

"Alexander."

"Very good, and the stranger, the dark haired man who is he?"

"He attacked me; he's in the dungeon and will hang for his crime."

"Yes, yes he will. Alexander has taken quite a liking to you my dear; he desires to take your hand in marriage, what say you to that?"

It was all you could do not to show your disgust but you forced a brief smile to come to your face as your eyes began to slowly close.

"My Alexander, my protector, my love" the words spoken softly but loud enough for her to hear as you fell asleep and you were forced to feel her hands once again upon your face.

"That's right my dear, your Alexander and soon you will be his. The stranger will die but before then I'll take what he has to offer. You though will give me my beauty and my life back, this you'll see, I swear."

With that she was gone and as the door closed behind her you tried to decipher her words, their meanings and perhaps the fate that they promised.

It was the next day before you felt capable of carrying out your own plan. Each step having been gone over to find its weaknesses, to decide its strengths but as night fell you still were not sure it would work. All you knew was the longer it took for action, the slimmer your chances of survival and certainly those of the man who even now you feared might be lost. You had hoped to see the return of the falcon but the gold eyed creature had not yet reappeared and time was growing nigh. You crept from the bed, your body weak from many days spent there, holding onto the side to keep from falling, willing your legs to work as you saw your clothes folded neatly on the chair.

The hallway was deserted, the silence almost deafening as you crept towards the dungeon, each step, each creak of the floor giving you pause for thought, wondering, waiting, keeping your mind open to her presence. It was only when you took your foot from the final step that you felt as if it might be possible, somehow possible but then something changed all that. The figure which lay there on the ground showed little if any resemblance to the handsome stranger who had first come to your aid. His body was covered with welts and abrasions, proof of the horrors to be found here. What hurt you the most though was seeing his face, his hair almost snow white, his body shriveled to the point of emaciation, the shackles turned down to their smallest of size barely able to hold onto his wrists and ankles.

His eyes though tired shone as he fought to lift his hand, his voice weathered beyond his years saying,

12