Onyx Dreams Ch. 25

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Here she comes!" came the excited whispers as Kennice appeared under the archway.

Rhys smiled as he saw her approach, his eyes sparkling with what the future would hold. No more Cyrus, no more Erykia after this, and best of all, no one would stand in the way of his wishes.

Kennice's smile was one of nervousness. She felt deep in her heart that this was wrong but her head was saying it was the correct thing to do. The walk down the aisle seemed long but finally she was there, looking at Rhys.

He smiled at her, bowing slightly and speaking in a sincere tone. "You look absolutely radiant my love. This day will mark the dawn of a new era in our kingdom. As husband and wife we will do so much together."

"Thank you, Rhys."

Kennice glanced at the official who began the ceremony. He read in the First Tongue a passage from the book of the Ancients that proclaimed the love for the new world upon which they had landed and made their home. He then switched back to the Common Tongue to do the vows. "Rhys, do you, as the new high priest and protector of those not able, vow to love, cherish, honor and respect, Lady Kennice Davenport, from now on until death separates you."

Gently Rhys took Kennice's hand, once more ignoring traditional behavior. He leaned down and placed a soft kiss upon her fingers and spoke in a clear, determined voice. "I do."

Elizabeth scowled. Rhys was mocking tradition. The boy was asking for trouble and it worried her. She didn't want her only child to suffer because of his recklessness.

Anthony saw Elizabeth's expression and gently squeezed her hand. He was hoping the blessing of the dragons would outweigh any bad luck that might occur because of Rhys' disdain of sacred things. He regretted the choosing of Rhys as high priest but out of twenty candidates, he had been the only one to show any backbone and pass all the trials.

Anthony returned his attention to the official who was now speaking to Kennice. ".... as future high priestess and mother of all creatures and mortals, vow to respect, trust, protect and love Rhys (last name) as your husband. To treat him as your equal and your helper in all things to the good of all?"

Kennice looked into Rhys' eyes and then away. Those present gasped and stirred restlessly when she didn't immediately reply.

Rhys tensed a moment. Was she backing out? How dare she! He couldn't let her ruin his destiny at this crucial moment. He softly gazed at her. "Kennice? What's wrong?"

"I." She glanced at the crowd, her gaze coming to rest on her parents.

~If you don't want to do this, you don't have to. You can still be high priestess without this marriage~ Elizabeth whispered to her daughter.

~But will I still have the respect of the people? They adore him. I, I don't love him mother!~

~Do what is best for you, Kennice. Your father and I do love you and will love you no matter what you choose to do.~

Kennice glanced up at Hayden and felt his mind touch hers. She took strength from that and straightened. "There is nothing wrong."

The sigh of relief rippled through the air.

"I apologize for the delay." She turned to the official. "I do agree to uphold this solemn vow."

Rhys was grinning from ear to ear now, any second now his power would be absolute and nothing, not even a dragon would be able to stop him from his domination of this world. His hand gently squeezed her, awaiting the official's final words.

"May this bond that you are entering into today, be one of hope and life to those around you. May it serve to keep you safe and make you wise as you rule our people. Let love build between yourselves and for those you care for." He paused and then looked at those assembled. "If there is anyone or creature who contests this bonding, speak now for once the rings are exchanged this pairing cannot be undone except by death."

A dark winged shadow obscured the sun, its warmth barred from reaching the congregation. The huge pitch black scaled dragon soared high above them. Around her, circling like vultures was an army of rebels hungering for battle. She dipped down from her orbit of the wedding, swooping fast and low. As she passed by with blinding speed and deafening thunder a figure leaped from her back, landing heavily behind the official. The air roared with the hum of sonic vibrations. The crowd murmured protests but was silenced as the figure rose and severed the official's head, a fountain of blood erupting from the stump that once was his neck.

Glaring at Rhys, Cyrus spoke in a voice dripping with malice and revenge. "I Do."

People began screaming and running for the exits. Anthony and Elizabeth fought against the mass exodus, trying to reach the platform where Rhys and Kennice had stood.

Kennice froze when she heard Cyrus' voice, shock at his abrupt appearance making her indecisive. Then anger rose, hot and furious. Of course he would come flying in at the last moment. She looked over at Rhys who was brushing blood off his clothes and glowering.

"Oh look, it's the street rat," he sneered as he held out his hand and caught the staff that Erykia tossed to him.

Not giving him a chance to wield it, Cyrus unleashed a double-fisted sonic blast into Rhys' chest, launching him off the platform into the crowd. "Oh this is gonna be fun Rhys. I hope you've got a stylish coffin lined up because your wedding colors are horrific."

Rhys rose to his feet staff in front of him. Cyrus launched another blast towards him, the vibrations knocking the staff out of his hand and shattering the gem at its head.

"Damnit!" Rhys snarled and rolled out of the way. Above the combatants in the air the roar of dragons was deafening as Hayden's group engaged the interlopers.

Kennice was torn between watching Rhys and Cyrus and looking to the sky to check on Hayden to make sure he was doing all right.

~Do not worry about me, my rider. I will be there to get you in just a moment~ He assured her as he flamed an emerald dragon's wing and watched as it and its rider plummeted toward the ground. ~My rider, come away from the two males. I am outside waiting~ Hayden instructed Kennice.

She silently went out a side door. It wasn't like either man was paying any attention to her.

Kaie was and just as Kennice opened the door an angry looking topaz dragon landed in front of her, taking a deep breath ready to flame.

Kennice paused and then closed her eyes. She heard the whoosh of wings followed by a shriek of pain. She opened her eyes and looked at Hayden. Without a word she ran to him and climbed up on his back. He immediately took to the air with a sapphire and ruby dragon by his side keeping the attackers at bay.

Kaie quickly moved to follow Hayden, belching flames to cover any that attempted to stop her.

Anthony and Elizabeth got free of the crowd and joined Erykia under an eave. They had a clear view but were away from the fighting. They watched the tableau before them in dread.

Erykia hid her smile. Perfect. Cyrus and Rhys. Only one would win and she knew who it would be. The prophecy was never wrong. And Kennice would have to choose. Erykia wondered which man it would be.

Cyrus stood before Rhys, drawing a handkerchief from his pocket wiping the blood from his hands. "What did I tell you Rhys? That I'd have my revenge on you. That I would kill you one day. That you would never ever have Kennice who you desired. That day is today Rhys." He advanced on his nemesis, flowing into a diabolical speech. "You see I realized something Rhys, something important, something key to this puzzle, vital if you will." His tone shifted to one of consideration as he circled Rhys, making sure his opponent was fully focused on him. "Would you like to know what that piece to this big confusing puzzle is Rhys? Hmm?"

"Not really but don't let my interruption ruin your monologue."

"I've worked out who the real ring leaders in this puzzle are. You see at first I thought it was you, then I realized you were too stupid since you have the brains of a rabbit. Then for a while I was quite certain it was that mummified old hag you follow around like a puppy, since she made that impressive looking prophecy and all. But recently...oh recently something much bigger and more sinister than both your pathetic little minds put together could come up with came to my attention. An example of one of them is about to drop in."

One of the lower ranked dragons from Hayden's rule crashed among the pews with a thundering crash, raining splinters and chunks of wood around them. Cyrus however, did not flinch. "The people I'm talking about, unless you haven't guessed, are the dragons, their riders and their draconic allies. They've been having a fun little game of chess with all of us."

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about you fool! If you believe that drivel then you are just as deluded as the rest of us in the dragon's game of chess," Rhys shouted.

Cyrus continued to circle Rhys. "Sensitive are we? Frustrated that you are just a pawn in someone's game? Well it's about to get worse Rhys because we both know dragons of the light don't know how to manipulate humans for their bidding. They'd need another human for that, and there's one human that links us all. That's right, it's Kennice. She seems so innocent doesn't she? But in reality she's playing everyone like a puppet on a string."

Rhys frowned. Could it be true? Was that why he couldn't seem to subjugate her? Was she getting help from the dragons he despised as not important? Cyrus was drawing subtly closer each time he circled Rhys. "Didn't you wonder why she despised you so much? She didn't want to get involved with a lowlife nothing like you...until she realized she could use you. Just like she used me. She needed Erykia to come to the monastery to confirm my destiny, to force me to Brenna. But that backfired on her because Kaie, the most powerful of all the dark dragons, took me in. Your place was simple Rhys. You were there only to ensure I didn't stray away from Kennice, and it worked...until Kaie showed me the truth."

"You lie! You only want her for yourself. Even soiled you want her. Do you know she was pining for you until I wined and dined her? She's so gullible. I'm sorry but she's not smart enough to deceive anyone and that's why she will always be a pawn. MY pawn."

A soft chuckle escaped Cyrus's throat. "Ah simpleminded Rhys, so focused, so determined to believe what he wants. Hiding from the truth as always. She has a dragon Rhys. She could have him eat you in a heartbeat and you wouldn't stand a chance. She has the power of high priestess running through her veins and you have the arrogance to believe you can control a powerhouse of that magnitude? As for wanting her...I have my own little sex slave to attend to my desires, a little disciplining is all she needs from time to time. But what's a few cracked ribs between lovers hmm?"

"What do you mean Kennice has a dragon? She can't. There has never been a high priestess that was a dragon rider. It's unheard of. You can't ride and rule people!"

A pitying smile and laughter from Cyrus. "Oh you have such a single track mind. Rhys, I would've thought even you would know there's a first time for everything. Kaie tells me she is riding him right now as we speak. She tells me he is the king of dragons. Is it starting to click in that simple mind of yours, Rhys? Queen of Dragons, High Priestess of Druids, one step away from world domination. Do you really think you can contend with a woman with that much power? The only way to stop her is to kill her Rhys, and I intend to do just that...after torturing her spirit for a while. Better than your crude methods. Since I don't have an old hag controlling me I can do simple things, like turning her parents to ashes!"

Rhys simply gaped at Cyrus but then he heard Erykia in his mind urging him to get away from Cyrus. "You're mad. Do you know what will happen if you attack the Davenports?"

Cyrus took a step his presence radiating evil intentions along with perverse pleasure. "Oh yes Rhys I know. They will burn, turn to dust on the wind, and the dragons will be unable to come through. No more dragons, no more riders. That leaves no one to stand in my way when I do something like this." He slammed his fist forward unleashing a bone cracking blast towards Rhys. Aiming him towards where Erykia and the Davenports where hiding.

Rhys crashed into the archway above their Erykia and the Davenports, hitting the ground unconscious. Elizabeth checked his pulse. It was still strong.

Cyrus marched in their direction, drawing his blade as he neared the alcove. His body blurred for a split second and the air was filled with blood as the last breath from the fallen emerald green dragon was heard. He stopped a few feet from Erykia, Rhys and the cowering parents of Kennice. His blade rose towards them, shimmering and buzzing. "Any last words?"

Erykia glowered at him but then grinned. "Do you like to fly, Cyrus?"

The tip of his blade was beneath her chin in an instant. "You just witnessed me give some flying lessons to your pathetic rat, didn't you?"

~Elizabeth now!~ Anthony told her.

Elizabeth didn't even look at him as she hit him with her strongest telekinetic blast.

Cyrus was flung back hard, right into the waiting claws of Nightseer, who bulged in triumph and flew toward the sky.

The wind was knocked from him, his muscles going limp from the shock of the blow. He felt the claws of the dragon close around him, his anger rising. Telepathically calling for Kaie, he poured his rage into his sword and slashed upwards, severing the talons of Nightseer's claws.

Nightseer's bellow of agony rocked the air and an eerie silence descended as his now useless limbs opened and Cyrus dropped from them.

Kaie who was pursuing Hayden and Kennice veered sharply and headed back toward her rider. Catching him mid-air she bugled her rage at Nightseer who was flying away from them and toward a gathering group of dragons who formed a protective circle around him.

Cyrus moved quickly onto Kaie's back, glaring at Nightseer and his guards. He could see from his position that the damage to the Light Dragon Riders was done. Raising his arm he signaled the retreat. Leaning down he gleefully gave Kaie his order. "Burn the monastery. Leave only ashes."

The swell of hatred and bloodthirsty eagerness raced through his mind as she turned and dove at the structure. She opened her mouth spewing fire at the upper levels first before circling and doing the same toward the ground. She backwinged, fanning more air on the flames blazing them higher.

~Let this be a lesson to all who would oppose the true ruler!~

Kennice's horrified cry rent the air as she and Hayden appeared in front his army. Her wedding dress rustled in the breeze that had begun to blow as she stared at Cyrus in dismay. "Why?" She thought she had whispered it but her question reverberated in the stillness as the opposing sides glared at each other.

Cyrus's response was a frosty glare as he drew his hand across his throat slowly before pointing at her.

She shivered, oblivious to the tears that were starting to fall.

With a nudge of his knees Kaie took off, his troops following suit moving with the shadows towards the oncoming night.

Hayden said nothing as he flew over to his troops.

~Nightseer, get us out of here so that we may attend to your wounds and rest.~

Nightseer's scales began to glow, the air before them shimmered and parted to reveal a pink sky. One by one the dragons slipped inside.

Kennice blinked and clutched at Hayden's neck ridge. "I can't go with you! I must find my parents!"

~It is not safe for you here. For now come with me. We will come back and find your parents, I promise.~

Kennice wearily sighed and looked once more at her childhood home burning. She bowed her head in acquiescence and Hayden entered the portal.

12