Onyx Dreams Ch. 29

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kennice barely managed to stifle a scream and she gripped Hayden's neck ridge tightly. If she survived this, she would thank the powers that be for sparing her.

He began to slow as the tunnel widened and light could be seen near by, two medium sized braziers on pillars marked the entrance to the Cave of Visions, where the great Dragon Seers resided.

Kennice's breathing returned to normal and she looked about. Who knew that dragon's were artistic. And the detail in the wall murals, amazing.

~Each of these great murals is a prophecy destined to come true. The ones that must be allowed to pass, only Seers are able to decipher their meaning.~

The platform entrance to the cave came closer and Hayden gently landed upon it. ~I shall wait for you here rider. Good luck.~

Kennice slid down and glanced at Hayden. "You're not coming?" She hated that her voice squeaked but she was intimidated.

He shook his head slowly and smiled down at her, ~No, as I told you earlier, the words you hear there are for your ears only. I will not be allowed to eavesdrop.~

"I see." Straightening, she squared her shoulders and marched down the dimly lit tunnel. It was large enough to accommodate the biggest of dragons but she was tiny compared to one of them and she felt dwarfed by the spaciousness of the passageway. Soon, the dimness gave way to bright light, not enough to blind, but enough to give her pause until her eyesight had adjusted.

From one of the book cases, a dragon the size of her came barreling round a corner, flapping its wings madly. It managed to stop a mere fraction from Kennice's nose before it spoke, it's horns glowing for a moment, "Avoid the Nartuck, it does not agree well with human stomachs."

"Wha, what?" Kennice was mystified by the little dragon's words. "Um, excuse me, but I was told to see the Seer?"

The female dragon opened her eyes and looked at Kennice, as if she had been dreaming and had just noticed her. When she spoke it was as if the entire sentence was spoken without a breath. "Oh hi! How are you? Are you here to see Nightseer? Well I already know you are here to see him but I like to give people the courtesy to tell me."

"Yes, little one, I've come to visit Nightseer." Kennice figured it was better to just play along because she was very confused.

"Well then follow me!" The dragon replied with glee and flew off in a blur of speed. after a second or two she flew back at speed and seemed impatient. "Well come on slow poke!"

Shaking her head, Kennice followed the very active little dragon. Was this how all dragons acted when very young? It was something she would be sure to ask Hayden later.

The little emerald dragon led her deeper and deeper into the archives, passing huge bookshelves that stretched farther than the human eye could see. From behind a large stack of scrolls came a low deep voice, "I see you have met my apprentice, Miss Davenport."

Kennice jumped, her gaze wildly looking about. Without thinking she called forth her power and her hand began to glow amethyst.

Slowly a huge black head bigger than anything she had ever seen appeared from behind the pile, it's aged featured looking interested. "Be at ease young one, I mean you no harm."

Kennice backed up a step so that she could truly look at the dragon before him. Though he was onyx colored like Hayden, he did not have the same shine to his hide. "You are, the seer?"

"Indeed I am child, you have come here to hear the words of prophecy yes? The warnings of your future perhaps?"

"I," Kennice paused. "Knowing the future can be a dangerous thing. I, I must know. Is Cyrus going to be all right?"

Nightseer closed his eyes for a moment, his long horns glowing brightly, "His path is shrouded in darkness, another pulls the strings of the puppet master. The fallen champion will meet the rising star with the force of Phoenix."

Kennice's breath caught in her chest and tears pooled in her eyes. "Oh Cyrus," she whispered. "Please, will he be lost to me forever? Can he be saved? Please! I don't wish the world to end because of his anger and I don't want him to die either!"

Once more the great Seer's horn grew bright and his voice rumbled with the future, "The fate of the world lies not in his hands. His path is certain, he is to be the bringer of the Phoenix, the firestorm to cleanse this world. Only the mistress of the Light can stop his fury."

"Erykia? I don't believe she will. She hates him." Bitterness tinged her tone as she remembered the repeated beatings and punishments for even daring to mention Cyrus's name.

"Not Erykia...you. Only you, Kennice, have the power to stop the age of darkness that is about to befall this world. Only you can stop him."

"Me!" Kennice squeaked. "I'm not powerful like Erykia. She said so as did the Druidic council. They said I was passable and that it would be the first time in a long time that they would have to settle for less than best in the future high priestess." That moment had clearly hurt Kennice's feelings and her pride. She had endured much and to have them tell her all her efforts had been futile, it had broken something inside her.

Nightseer grew quiet for a moment and nodded towards his apprentice who flitted forwards, her voice soft, "That is why you must enter the sacred pathways and face the trials. It will show you your final lesson to be high priestess."

Eyes wide with denial, Kennice backed up a step. "I am not ready for the trials. I do not have permission from the council."

"These are not trials the council has power over Rider. These are the trials from the old gods. Not even Erykia dared to enter these realms. Her predecessor did not survive..."

"Then why do you believe I can, when others who are far stronger than me, never tried or failed to pass?"

"Because these are not trials of strength. They are trials of heart. Heart is what your final lesson will teach. You must pass these trials rider or else the darkness will consume us all. Your enemy knows not guilt nor fear in his actions. That is why he cannot be defeated without you. You are the only thing he still cherishes."

"I think I understand. When and where must I take these trials?" Kennice would do what she had to in order to save the world she loved and the man her heart called for.

"The trials will take place in two months in the Halls of Truth. If you fail your spirit will not be able to leave that place."

The thought of being trapped for eternity made her wince but she would not disappoint the dragons. They had faith in her. She had to fulfill her destiny, even though it wasn't one she exactly relished.

"Remember Rider, these trials are trials of the heart. If you doubt yourself for even a moment, the old gods will deem you unfit."

"Yes, Lord Nightseer. I will remember."

He nodded once more and held out one of his huge claws, a small ball of light forming in the center. "Take this young one. It will unlock the barrier keeping Cyrus out, both of the chosen champions must enter the trials."

Kennice respectfully took the light which winked out leaving only an onyx ball in her hands. She blinked and gasped as it pulsed once and changed into a bracelet.

"This will be your first real test as High Priestess. Cyrus will send someone to kill you. You must survive and open the portal, Rider."

"Please, I can't take anymore news. I will make it there. Will Hayden be allowed to come?"

"Indeed, I hardly expect a high priestess to walk there. If he does not give you a safe journey I will make him write out my prophecies into new books again." A wry smile came over his face indicating he found the last time rather amusing.

A startled laugh escaped her and she slid the bracelet on to her wrist. It fit a little loosely but once back in her room, she would find something to hold it tighter. "I think I need to rest. This has been a very strange day."

Nodding he looked at her once more. "Indeed, there is much to process. I shall open a minor portal to your dwelling to save you the walk. I must speak in private with Hayden also."

"Thank you Lord Nightseer." Kennice turned to the little emerald dragon. "It was nice to meet you."

"And you Rider, I hope you rest well, you will need your strength."

Bowing to both dragons she turned as the portal began to form. With a grin she walked through it and into her room.

A few moments later, the small emerald dragon had flitted out to meet Hayden outside, "My lord, Nightseer will see you now."

Hayden snorted in amusement. The young dragon had been into the drug plant again. Walking calmly he came into Nightseer's chamber. "Yes, old one?" he teased.

A solid book promptly flew over the stack of parchments and dinged against the middle of Hayden's skull. "That my young king is the history of the old gods, specifically the child of Truth and Justice who resides in the Next world. I suggest you read it."

"Read? Nightseer the world is threatening to come to an end and you want me to read!" Hayden was shocked. Had the seer lost his senses?

"Yes Hayden, I said read. Trust me, my king, it will prove interesting reading in due time..."

Just beyond the stack was the bright glow that was associated with prophecy. Oracles seemed to have a knack for being overly cryptic about things.

"Nightseer, I will obey but I'm not much of a reader."

"You will when you realize who the person being spoken of actually is."

"You're being cryptic again old one." Hayden's wings fanned the air.

"It is a privilege of mine young sir. Now, fetch this old oracle some tea. I know you have nothing to do for the rest of today."

"Yes Nightseer."

12