Pathways Ch. 07-08

Story Info
Buffy and Nina kick ass. Angel isn't so lucky.
3.6k words
4.38
10.4k
4
0

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 11/06/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
patricia51
patricia51
1,914 Followers

Buffy and Nina watched, almost serenely, as the ring of vampires tightened around them. Buffy appeared almost bored and Nina was getting a glint in her eyes that had nothing to do with fear. If the vampires had not been so arrogantly full of themselves they might have sensed that these two women were not the ones who needed to be afraid.

Even Buffy raised an eyebrow when Nina started taking her clothing off.

"Is that necessary?" she inquired.

"If I'm going to have anything to wear after we're done it is," Nina replied.

The vamps were confused about the casual attitude of the two young women but eyes brightened at Nina's actions.

"Well, perhaps if you are a VERY good girl there might be a possibility of you being here to wear something ... after," the leader said with a smirk, even as he appreciatively eyed Nina's body. He cocked one eye over at Buffy. "Going to join her?"

"Join her?" Buffy asked, wide-eyed in pretended embarrassment. "I mean, she's awfully cute and all but I don't swing that way." She knew perfectly well what the leader meant as well as the certain knowledge that the vampires had no intention of leaving them alive no matter what the two girls promised or did. It would just make it more fun for the vampires to allow their victims the thought they might be released and then snatching their lives from them just when they thought they were getting away.

Buffy had left "Mister Pointy" in Rome in her hurry but being unarmed never had fazed the Slayer, especially in an area with lots of trees, which meant lots of wooden branches, all of which offered her weapons. For one brief moment she considered giving the unsuspecting vampires a chance to leave. But then she decided that was a silly idea. It wasn't as though they would leave and go straight. They'd kill some innocent that very night. So they really needed dusting. Besides, it seemed like an excellent, although unusual, way to bond a little with Nina.

"Ready?" the Slayer cast a sideways look and a little grin at the now nude woman beside her. Damn. Nina WAS good looking. Buffy had never leaned that way, well, maybe a time or two she had looked over Faith and wondered what it would be like with her, but Nina could stir something if she let it. Shaking her head, Buffy looked at the leader as Nina called back.

"Born ready."

Buffy nodded. She stomped on a broken branch in front of her, breaking it in two and spinning half of it up to her hand. With one blinding move she stabbed the vampire to the leader's right through the heart. As he exploded into dust a deep menacing growl came from beside her and the fun really started.

Shock of seeing one of their number taken out before they even knew the fight had started and paralyzed by the sight of the cute naked blonde girl growing two feet taller and suddenly being covered in hair, the vampires hesitated for seconds they couldn't afford. Buffy spun left, then right and two more were gone. One of the ones who had been sneaking up behind them spun through the air and was impaled on a limb sticking out from one of the trees. Buffy nodded in appreciation of Nina's aim.

In less than three minutes the only survivor was the still stunned leader. He recovered his wits enough to take to his heels but he got no more than twenty feet before being pulled down by the girl werewolf.

"Wait a minute Nina," snapped Buffy, who hoped that the self control she had been informed that Angel's partner had in her were-form was in fact true. She was relieved to see the wolven creature flash her what might have actually been a grin and nod. of course its hard to pick out a grin when three inch fangs fill someone's mouth but it COULD have been just that. Regardless, Nina simply held the last vamp immobile rather than tearing his head off.

Buffy tapped the tip of the now dust covered stick against the undead chest. "what are you doing here tonight? I haven't heard that this is one of your regular hunting areas. Usually you guys stay in town where the occasional missing person will be simply forgotten."

"To hell with you," gasped the vampire.

Buffy shrugged. "You first." She pressed the branch against his chest, the skin breaking as she pushed.

"Wait, wait," gasped the vampire. "We were told to come here. We were told that two women would be here, both blonde and that there would be a reward for taking them both out. Money, blood and live slaves to use and then kill were all promised to us."

"By whom?" when no immediate answer came Buffy set her foot against the other end of the branch that now stuck out slightly from the vampire's chest. She tapped it deeper, almost reaching his heart.

"By WHOM?"

The vampire twisted under the improvised stake. "I don't know his name. I'd never seen him before. But he walked in to where we stay like he owned the place. White guy, around 30. He had some powerful mojo. Wasn't scared a bit. Not that any of us thought about snacking on him."

"Why not?"

"I can't explain it. It was like he wasn't all there. Not in some meta-physical psychological crap. It was like he was dead. Everywhere except his eyes. They were scary. Full of hatred so strong it made even me step back. He told us where she would be," the vampire indicated Nina with a nod. "He was real specific that we be sure to get her. 'The nastier the better' he said. 'It will really hurt him.'. He didn't say anything like that about you but we figured two for one would be fun."

"When were you going to get payment?"

The prone leader pondered for a moment. "You know," he said thoughtfully, "I have no idea. He never said and for some reason I didn't ask. Maybe when we got back."

Buffy rolled her eyes. "Okay. I suspect that's about it. You can go now."

The vampire began to rise. "Thanks," he began just before Buffy stomped with her foot, driving the makeshift stake through his heart and reducing him to powder.

"I didn't say 'go away'," the Slayer commented dryly. "I just said 'Go.'." She looked slightly defensively at Nina. "You really can't let them go you know. Promises mean nothing. He'd have been killing someone else in hours." To her surprise Nina nodded in agreement.

"Hey," smiled the blonde werewolf. "Even if I didn't know a lot more than I ever wanted to about vampires, the only objection I would have raised would have been if you had let him go." At Buffy's surprised look Nina shook her head and continued. "Besides, you heard him. Whoever this person or thing is that's behind this wants me dead, and apparently the more brutal and painful the better. So the idea is to hurt Angel. That wouldn't make me any less dead. Or my baby." A fierce look came over Nina's normally sweet and open face. "Before that happens I will have no problem tearing someone limb from limb and probably enjoying it."

"Good for you." nodded Buffy. She became thoughtful. "Well, this all is a surprise and no mistake. I thought we were having some kind of strange love triangle; Slayer, vampire and werewolf. We have THAT solved and now it appears someone is trying to kill the pair of you. Not that evil guys aren't usually trying to wipe out the good guys, but somehow this smacks of something personal. I think we better get back to the hotel and sit down with Angel."

"Good idea," declared Nina and she started for the pathway that led back to the parking lot, only to be brought up short by Buffy clearing her voice.

"Nina? Don't you think you would draw a little less attention if you put your clothes back on? Besides, I don't think you have your car keys with you."

"Oops!"

Back at the Hyperion Angel had not stopped pacing since Buffy had left in her quest to find Nina. Back and forth he walked, his brow furrowed in thought, his eyes paying no attention to anything. Instead, his mind dwelt on Nina, and the fact that it looked like he was going to be a father again. How had this happened? WHY had it happened? He was torn between being suspicious that once again he and his were being set up and joy that the miracle had happened again. He thought of Connor, he thought of Cordelia. Was he going to have to make a trade again? It was all too much to grasp. The important thing was that Nina was pregnant and that he needed her here, with him, where he could protect her and love her, as he acknowledged now that he did.

His head came up. He strained his hearing even s he realized it wasn't something he had heard that had caught his attention, it was something he felt. It was Nina. She was in danger. He looked at the windows. Dusk has settled over the city. Grabbing his keys he rushed out the door.

There was a figure standing between him and the Plymouth. A figure that somehow seemed vaguely familiar even as he attempted to go around it, saying "Excuse me," as he did.

"I really don't think so," replied a voice that was now more than vaguely familiar.

"You!" Angel said in surprise. "What are you doing here? Come to think of it, HOW did you get here? I figured you would be serving out the rest of that contract of yours."

"Really?" the figure lifted one eyebrow. "Well, let's say there are always loopholes even in the tightest drawn contracts, things that you can take advantage of. And in my case it turned out my desires and that of some others ran together." the figure came closer. Hate shown from his eyes. "Happily those others concede that there is no longer any need to keep you alive."

Angel reacted instinctively as figures came at him from both sides. He slammed into one bulky form and then the other, staggering them. He started for the figure blocking his way when a blow from behind drove him to his knees. Before he could rise the trio of Slime Demons closed on him and then he knew no more.

Chapter 8

Angel woke to a splitting headache. Not surprising him in the least, he was spread-eagled and chained to a stone wall. He winced as the gnomes wielding their sledgehammers on the inside of his head increased their tempo.

"Ah, back with us at last," came a mock cheerful voice.

Angel pried one eye open, then the other. He gave his best glare at the figure in front of him.

"Doesn't anyone in this damn city ever STAY dead?"

"That's pretty rich, coming from you. But just because I'm dead doesn't mean I can't hang around for a while. After all, my contract, like my old buddy Lilah's, runs far beyond death."

"So you're still working for the Senior Partners then, Lindsey McDonald?"

The sometimes lawyer threw back his head and laughed. "The Senior partners? You still don't get it do you Angel? You mean nothing to them; you're an insect beneath their notice."

"That's why they spent so much time trying to recruit me and trying to corrupt me into being one of their flunkies huh?" shot back the chained vampire. He knew he needed to anger Lindsey. People who lose control are more likely to make mistakes. Besides, Angel knew damn well that he had severely stuck it to the Senior Partners and their plans.

The word "Flunkies" triggered a reaction. Lindsey flushed and turned red with anger. "Never mind them; I'm just here for you. How dare you? How dare you have that simpering, Cosmo swigging, horned flunky shoot me? It was supposed to be YOU damn you." With that Lindsey followed the script. He lost control.

The beating he gave the chained Angel wasn't anything to enjoy, even as beatings go. The only thing Angel was a bit thankful for was that this time Lindsey wasn't using a sledge-hammer. It hurt, a lot, but alive or dead Lindsey was still mortal and after a while his arms gave out. He threw down the steel rob he had been using, spat and started to leave. When he reached the door he turned around.

"Oh, by the way, I've sent a group to take care of your little blonde friend. You know, the one who used to hang around your bed and stare at you with soulful eyes? I had her followed, her and that other female who showed up. By now the pair are dead, or," Lindsey laughed, "Or waiting to wake back up. Think she'll have a soul like you or will she just be a regular old eat-them-all vampire? Well, think on that. When I find out I'll be sure to let you know. In fact, I think I'll instruct them when they get back to go retrieve her body. Assuming of course they left enough of it to make the trip worthwhile."

Angel stared in amazement. "You sent vampires after Nina and Buffy?"

"Is that the other one's name?" inquired Lindsey. "Well, how nice. I'll know what to have carved on her tombstone."

The Ex Wolfram and Hart employee grinned maliciously and left the room, closing the steel door behind him. Even as it clanged shut Angel gave a sigh of relief.

Obviously Lindsey, be he dead or whatever, still under the thumb of the Senior partners or free-lancing, had made one huge error. Blinded by his lust for revenge he hadn't researched his opposition enough. He obviously had no idea who Buffy was and apparently she had found wherever Nina had gone when the sight of him and Buffy hugging had sent her running from the hotel. He had no clue how many vampires Lindsey might have sent, but between one Slayer and one Werewolf who could control both her shifting and herself in were form, well, if any of Lindsey's little strike force came back to him it would be a miracle.

Now that he not longer worried about the danger to Nina, and the child that she was carrying, he was able to concentrate on getting out of here. Along the way he intended to relieve Lindsey's central sore spot. This time he would kill the former lawyer himself.

Nina and Buffy had arrived back at the Hyperion. Both had spotted the signs of the struggle as soon as they walked through the courtyard. Nina had run inside, dashing up and down stairs and calling Angel's name. Buffy had remained still. She knew the vampire was gone and from the torn-up area he had gone neither willingly nor easily.

"Nina," she called. All she heard in reply were increasingly frantic calls for Angel. She raced into the building and caught the distraught woman by the shoulders.

"Nina! Calm down!"

For a moment Buffy thought the other girl was about to slap her or shape shift and get really ugly. Then two perfectly human arms were thrown around her and a weeping body flung itself against her. She held Nina, soothed her, stoked her hair until with a hiccup the other female straightened up.

"I'm sorry. You must think I'm some kind of, well, I don't know what you must think of me except that I'm a person who comes apart in a crisis."

"What I think is that you are a pregnant woman dealing with the fact that the love of your life, who also is the father of your unborn child, is missing and probably in a LOT of trouble." Even as she said those words, and meant them, Buffy felt a pang. Once upon a time she was the love of Angel's life. Well, unlife anyway. For just one moment she relived those days when she and Angel were together, then she brushed those thoughts aside. Not only were they out of date but there were more important things to think about right now.

"We have to think about Angel right now. Calmly. Take a deep breath and concentrate. Try to think of who could have done this and why. If we can come up with some likely suspects then we can start figuring out what to do next."

Nina nodded and took the suggested deep breath. As soon as she did she got a puzzled look on her face.

"What is it?"

"I can smell him. Angel that is." The shorter blonde woman wrinkled her nose. She walked back out into the courtyard, her head swinging from side to side. "There's other scents too. There were what I bet were a couple of demons here. And there's someone else. Human maybe but not completely. And the scent seems just a bit familiar."

Buffy grew excited. Obviously whatever allowed the other woman to shift forms at will also had heightened her human senses. "Nina? Do you think you could track them?"

The other woman started to struggle out of her clothes. "I don't think I can like this but maybe in my were-form. Could you find a bag or something to put my clothes and shoes in?"

Buffy dashed back into the building. She rummaged around Angel's office. Finding a shopping bag from a well-known department store she brandished it in triumph as she came back outside. "Here." She held it open so Nina could deposit in it the shoes and top she had already removed.

From repeated practice it took only moments for Nina to strip. Once more Buffy had to admit that the slightly younger woman certainly had a lovely body. No wonder Angel had been attracted to her. Then she watched as those slender limbs thickened and became hairy. The attractive face disappeared, becoming full of fangs jutting from a muzzle. Then the girl was gone and the werewolf was fully there.

She was different from what Buffy remembered Oz being like. Nina wasn't hunched over but rather stood completely upright. She watched as the other, well, "creature" applied better than "woman" right now, snuffled the area, her nose raised in the air, then lowered to the ground. The werewolf scampered along the ground for a moment on her hands and knees. Then there was a writhing of that body and Nina was back.

Buffy smothered a grin. Nina was of course in the same position in her human form that she had been in her wolf one. Trying to break the tension she quipped "Not often I look down and find a nude girl on her hands and knees in front of me."

Nina stared, then realizing her position she laughed. "I bet that happens more often than you notice." Both women giggled, relieving both the stress of the moment and the hint of sexual tension that had formed between them. Nina grew serious. "I don't think there's any doubt I can track them Buffy. As long as they don't get on a bus or something," she added.

"I can't see them doing that," Buffy said thoughtfully. "They'd be less likely to draw attention if they remained on foot and stuck to the shadows. Okay then, let's go."

"Wait a minute." Nina ran back into the hotel. When she returned she was holding two swords. "I've seen how fast and deadly you are Buffy but a little armament won't hurt." She handed one sword to Buffy. "NOW let's go."

"Nina?" When the other girl turned quizzically Buffy inquired "Are you planning to track in human form or wolven?"

"Human for right now. Why?"

"Don't you think you should at least put on shoes?"

"Oops!"

Now dressed, Nina led the way. Twice they had to stop, hide in the shadows and Buffy hold the other girl's clothes and weapon as Nina shape-shifted in order to track better. After the second time she simply remained in her wolf-form. They finally reached an old abandoned warehouse deep in the heart of the city. Nina returned to her human form and jerked on her clothing as she told Buffy what she scented.

"They're here. I can smell Angel as well as both the demons that were involved in his kidnapping and who or whatever that other guy is."

"A guy?"

"Definitely" Nina nodded. "I can scent the testosterone."

"Okay then." The pair crept quietly through the littered outskirts, finding a small half-opened door they could slip in through without moving it, since they both were sure it would creak like something out of an old horror movie if they did. They crept downstairs, finding a closed door at the bottom of the stairs.

Buffy pressed her ear to the metal door. She could hear muttered voices. Giving Nina a nod, she whispered "Ready?"

"Born ready," Nina repeated the words she had spoken in the park clearing just before they jumped the vampries.

"Stay behind me," instructed the Slayer. "Or if you get a clear path to him, find Angel and free him."

"Let's go."

"One, two, THREE." With that Buffy kicked the door off its hinges and the two women rushed inside.

And the fight was on.

(To Be Continued)

patricia51
patricia51
1,914 Followers