Period of Adjustment Ch. 09-11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,596 Followers

The restaurant was almost full and yet reasonably quiet with the after-game clientele. A solitary piano player soothed the patrons with soft, non-descript tunes. We were immediately seated at a nice booth with very high sides that gave us some privacy. It wasn't a coincidence that Kayla and Cassie were again on each side of me. My earlier good spirits were lifted once more with the delightful company and the excellent food.

It was almost midnight before we left. I gave Kayla my cell phone number and she gave me hers. We promised to talk tomorrow. She seemed as anxious as I was to continue our acquaintance. We parted as she caught an uptown streetcar, while Denis, Cassie and I picked up the East Queen Street run once more. We rode quietly along in the almost empty car, Denis and Cassie talking softly while I was lost in my thoughts. I realized Kayla had made a big impression on me. I also realized it was no secret to either her or my friends.

Chapter 10: A Spectacular Detective

I slept well that night, but images of a beautiful blonde drifted through my nocturnal thoughts. I awoke rested, but well aware of those images and the effects they had on me. I was surprised that this woman was having such a dramatic impact on me, and I was determined to spend more time with her if she would allow it.

"Good morning, Colin," Cassie sang. She was in cheerful spirits as usual. I saw a crepe pan on the stove.

"Are you making what I think you are making?" fingers crossed.

"I know you used to love crepes. I hope you still do," she smiled. Denis gave me a 'thumbs up' signaling his vote.

"I haven't had them for so long, I've almost forgotten. You are spoiling me rotten, Cassie."

"We don't see each other very often, Colin. It's fun for me to treat you to these dishes. I'm just happy you enjoy them."

"I'm very grateful. Thank you," I said sincerely.

"I gather you enjoyed the company we chose last night," Denis said with sly look.

"Yes. Very much so. She is quite a beautiful and interesting woman. I'd like to get to know her better. She tells me she's a private detective. That's an amazing coincidence."

"Yes, it is, isn't it," Cassie said. She wasn't telling all either. If this was all a plot on their part, I wasn't about to complain. I was getting the benefit.

It was nearing noon when I finally had a chance to call Kayla. I had already entered her number on my cell phone.

"Hello." Her voice was like still water, clear and soft.

"Hi ... it's Nathan. Good morning."

"Good morning. Nice to hear from you."

"We promised we would talk today. Can you find some time?"

"Yes. Why don't you come here? It isn't far from the Simard's."

She gave me the address and we agreed I would be there in about an hour. I was looking forward to being with Kayla and learning more about her.

She was standing at the storm door as I walked up the steps to her porch. The smile on her face told me she was happy to see me.

"Hi," I said, stepping into the foyer of the townhouse.

"Hi again," she smiled. "Would you like some coffee?"

I followed her to the kitchen. The house was older, but it was immaculate, something I took as a big positive. It looked very neat and organized and I took that as a sign of a disciplined person.

"I enjoyed our evening last night," I began.

"Yes. Me too. But I should confess I knew something about you before we met. Denis and Cassie gave me some background on you."

"I guess that's inevitable. They've been kind of looking out for me for a long time. Just what did they tell you?"

"That you'd been in prison for something that wasn't your fault. That you were in CSIS. That your parents had been killed ... murdered."

"That's quite a lot. I suppose that would put you off."

"You're wrong. Your life went to shit and you handled it. All I needed to do was watch you for a few minutes last night at the hockey game. I knew you were under control. Besides," she laughed, "Cassie said you were a pussy cat."

"You're forgetting Cassie hasn't seen me for over eight years. Things can change. People can change. I know I've changed." There was something nagging at me and it surfaced then. It was very unlike Denis to give out that kind of information, even if she was a trusted family friend.

"I'm surprised that Denis told you as much as he did. That isn't normal for him. There must be a reason."

She didn't waste any time replying. "I was with the RCMP for ten years. I was assigned to the internal security detail in Montreal, then Ottawa. I got to know more about Denis's job then. We were working together on the same project as you were involved in." There was no hesitation on her part. Her story seemed plausible.

"Then you know what happened," I said.

"Yes. I also know why it happened. I was assigned to parliamentary security. I knew more than enough to figure out who felt threatened."

"Why did you leave the force?"

"It wasn't voluntary. I ... I had an affair with another officer. He was married. His wife found out and raised holy hell. I was given the opportunity to resign so that it could be hushed up. I took it.

"How long ago was that?" I asked.

"Three years. I worked for Metro Toronto security, then applied for my private investigator license. I've been working at York Investigative for the last eighteen months."

"You like the work?"

"I would, if I could get some decent assignments. I'm afraid it's a men's only club. I get assigned to the usual wayward spouse case ... or once in a while, a screening on a prospective employee. I'm not sure this is what I want to do if that's all that I'm going to be assigned."

"Yeah. My feelings exactly. The reason I reacted the way I did last night was because a very good friend of mine wants me to come to work for him. He runs a private investigation business, but it's more geared toward commercial and industrial crime. Fraud, theft, espionage ... that sort of thing. I told him I wouldn't be interested if it was just following people to find out if they are cheating. He assured me it's not what they do any more ... at least ... not very often."

"Shit. I'd give anything for that kind of assignment. I don't even get a sniff of it at York."

"What's your educational background," I asked.

"Bachelor of Science in Chemistry. Damned if I know why now. When I graduated, the only jobs were in the petrochemical industry, and that's not what I wanted. I was looking for a small lab that did research, and that meant I needed at least a masters. I looked around for something that might interest me and chose the RCMP. The rest you know about."

I did a little arithmetic. Twenty two or older when graduating, ten years with the Mounties and another three since then. She was older than she looked. At least thirty five, I thought. Amazing. She barely looked to be in her thirties.

"Would you be interested in meeting my friend? He's always looking for good people," I smiled.

"I gather he's in Vancouver?"

"Yes. Is that a problem?"

"Hell no! It's a bonus," she laughed.

"Fine. Let me make a phone call tomorrow morning. I'll talk to Harold. If he's interested, you can set up an interview. I'll fly you out, so you'll need some time off. Can you get it?"

"Yes. I'm barely working full time as it is. But ... I don't want to have you spending your money on a wild goose chase. I'll pay for my own flight ... and hotel. I can afford it."

"So can I, and since this is my idea, I insist." I was forceful, but smiling at the same time. No more was said about it, so I assumed she would agree.

Kayla lived in a nice townhouse on the edge of a park near the Don River. Away from the freeway, it was quiet and very settled. Fall was almost here, but it was too early for the trees to be changing yet. It had been a warm late summer, and this Sunday the park was full of people walking, jogging, and roller-blading.

We found plenty of things to talk about. I opened up to her about my past. Denis had given her a lot of information, but she was curious about my time in prison and my attitude today. I told her of my anger and disgust with Taggart and his superiors. I told her about Natasha too. She hadn't heard about the shooting and Natasha's death, but she listened intently as I described how upset I felt after having killed someone. Even someone as evil as Warrington.

"It's all very fresh, Kayla. It only happened a few days ago. I don't know what I have to look forward to in the future. I'm not sure if the police will be after me ... or what? I don't feel guilty about killing him. I feel guilty as hell about not being able to protect Natasha. She didn't deserve what happened to her. Neither did my parents."

She wrapped her arm around my shoulders as we walked down the pathway by the river. It felt comfortable and natural, and I relaxed. Kayla was a very good listener.

"Are you going back to Vancouver?" she asked after a while.

"Yes. I need to see Harold ... the friend I will call on your behalf tomorrow morning. He keeps in very close touch with both the city police and the RCMP. He'll know what's going on. That will tell me what to do."

"Are you worried?"

"Yes. I don't want to be on the run for the rest of my life, and I'm damn sure I'm not going back to prison. Not willingly."

I felt her arm hold me tighter as we walked. "A wise old sage once said that the best you can make out of shit is shit pie," she said quietly.

I burst out laughing. I was bent over, almost hyperventilating as I roared. It was contagious as she began laughing too. We must have been quite a sight to the passers by.

"Dammit, woman. You sure have a way with words," I managed to spit out as the fit subsided.

"I think we needed that," Kayla giggled. "This conversation was getting way too serious. Besides, I got the impression from Denis that you wouldn't have to worry about the police. I'll leave it to him to explain."

We walked for a while before I spoke up again. "What do you do for fun?"

"I like to ride my motorcycle. I've got an old Harley 883 Sportster that suits me just fine. It's great during the summer. I also swim and ski ... and with the right guy ... I like to dance."

"I had a bike when I was young. A worn out old BSA 350 twin. I found it in England and paid twenty pounds for it. Spent more time fixing it than riding it. But ... it was fun."

"Were you with CSIS in England?"

"No ... in the Army. NATO exchange duty. Keeping an eye on movements in the eastern bloc countries. We hadn't quite decided that we could trust our Russian friends. I loved that tour. That's where I met my friend, Harold Sinden. He was our Interpol liaison guy. He used to invite me back to his house to have dinner with his wife Dorothy and their three kids. I was a lot younger than they were, but it was great to have them treat me so well. I guess Harold must have seen something in me way back then ... god ... nearly fifteen years ago."

Kayla smiled. "So we have some things in common, then."

"Yeah, we do, don't we."

"Can you stay for supper? Nothing fancy ... but ... I'd enjoy the company."

"Let me phone Cassie and make sure I'm not messing up her plans." I pulled out my cell and called the Simard's number. Cassie picked up on the second ring. It was a short conversation. She encouraged me to stay and said she would see me "whenever." I wasn't quite sure what that meant, but I nodded my agreement to Kayla and she smiled in return.

Kayla kept the meal simple, and she did just fine as far as I was concerned. I was paying more attention to the cook than I was to the food anyway. She was a very confident woman in many ways. The way she held herself, walking, sitting, even relaxing on the sofa. She exuded power. Not some manly female, but certainly secure in her skin. I could see muscle development in her arms and legs. I was sure she was exercising regularly.

From the outside, it would be easy to be overwhelmed by what most men would term a "blonde bombshell." I know initially that was my inclination. Try as I might, I really couldn't see any evidence of her true age. She was one of those fortunate women that would always look younger than the actual number.

She caught me staring at her a couple of times and I know I must have blushed in embarrassment when she did. She got a funny little smile on her mouth, but never said anything. I'd already made up my mind to try and date her, and also hoping that Harold would be interested in her. It would be a hell of a lot easier if she and I were in the same city and not five hours flying time apart.

As much as we had talked that day, we hadn't run out of things to say to each other. We had a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and afterwards, just relaxing in the living room. I hated the idea that I would have to leave.

"I'm going to have to go soon, Kayla."

"I know. Call me tomorrow after you've talked to your friend. You have my cell number."

"Yes. Harold's usually in early, but that's ten o'clock here. I should be able to call you around noon."

"Make sure you do," she said with a non-nonsense tone. Then she grinned and I stood to leave.

I was hoping for a long kiss or even a hug, but she was holding me at a distance for now. I could wait. I could be patient. There was no need to rush.

"Good night and thank you for the meal. I enjoyed spending the day with you."

She smiled. "You're welcome. We'll do it again ... soon."

I nodded and stepped out onto the porch. I heard the door close behind me as I descended the steps, letting out a sigh of regret. Oh well, you can't expect every woman to jump into bed with you, boy. You aren't that irresistible.

I arrived back at the Simard's just past ten, and they were in the parlor watching television. Cassie immediately snapped off the TV and the inquisition commenced. What did we do? Where did we go? Did you have a good time? Did she make a nice dinner? Isn't she a nice woman? I was laughing to myself. She was like a mother, worrying about her boy after his first date. I saw the look on Denis face and knew he was enjoying this far too much.

"Well, I do have to compliment your taste in potential girlfriends for me, Cassie," I grinned.

"I just knew you two would hit it off. I could tell last night." It was a triumphant statement from the would-be matchmaker.

Denis was shaking his head. "Sorry, Colin, I wouldn't deliberately do this to you with anyone else. Kayla is ... different. She's not the shy retiring type, but she doesn't have a lot of patience with fools. She got hurt pretty badly with that other officer she got involved with. She might be a bit gun-shy at the moment." Cassie was nodding her agreement.

"There's no rush for either of us. This has been a very traumatic week. I've never killed anyone before. I've never had to face the violent death in my family or my friends. I'm no more ready for a relationship than ... I don't know ... I'm just not ready. Kayla is a very beautiful woman and I won't lie ... I'm attracted to her. But ... the timing is lousy. I need to get my head straight. Today was a good day because I didn't once think about all the shitty things that happened to me and around me in the past week."

Again, I saw Cassie nodding along with Denis. "Take my advice and take your time, Colin," Cassie said softly.

"Cassie, would you excuse us. I have a couple of things I need to discuss with Colin in private." She rose from her chair and as she passed by me, stopped and kissed my cheek, smiling as she did.

When she had left, Denis turned to me. "I've had a conversation with the RCMP Burnaby detachment and the Joint Homicide Investigation Team. I think I've looked after any concerns you would have about returning to the coast. They have identified Warrington as a known contract killer. I have identified Natasha and my operative as CSIS employees. They have no record of your fingerprints on file, and there is no national database set to check on in Ottawa.

"I've been given the opinion that they aren't overly interested in pursuing an unknown assailant who may or may not be a CSIS operative, so it will go into the unsolved case files and remain there. I hope that puts your mind at ease."

I nodded gratefully. "Thank you, Denis. That's a big load off my mind. I appreciate everything you've done for me. You've been one friend I know I can always count on."

"Why don't you get some sleep? This has been a very troublesome week for you. I imagine you've had little rest in the past five days. I have to go to Montreal tomorrow morning, but I'll be back on Wednesday."

"Yeah, I guess I'll think about heading back to Vancouver tomorrow."

"Don't be in a big rush, Colin. You are always welcome here. Why don't you take some time to settle yourself? I'm sure your friend Harold will understand. Besides, I get the feeling you would like to spend some more time with Kayla," he smiled.

"You're right, I would. In the meantime, I think I'll take your advice and hit the sack. Still a bit of jet lag, I guess."

We said goodnight to each other and I went to my room. I was tired, but I think it was more from stress than jet lag. A hell of a lot had been happening to me in the last month and I was still running to catch up with it all.

Chapter 11: A Blast from the Past

When I awoke Monday morning, the smell of coffee got me moving. I did my usual morning thing and headed for the kitchen when I was dressed. Cassie had prepared some French toast and I smiled. She could seduce a gargoyle with her food.

"Denis left early this morning. Did he tell you?"

"Yeah. He said he was going to Montreal and would be back Wednesday. I was thinking about going back to Vancouver this week."

"Oh ... don't Colin. Stay here for a few days. Just let things in your life cool down for a while. You need that."

"I won't argue with you, Cassie. This past week has been awful. I keep wondering when it's all going to end. Is there still someone out there looking for me? The River Riders? The police? I don't even know who I am any more. Am I Colin, or am I Nathan? What kind of a life does that lead to?"

"Colin ... you need some time to recover. A period of adjustment. You can't just go on with your life when so much ugliness has happened to you. Denis says you have all the money you'll even need for the rest of your life. Use it! Go to Egypt ... or the North Pole ... or ... I don't know ... anywhere. Get way from all this. Find yourself! Make a new life for yourself. Please!"

I walked to Cassie and embraced her. She was a true friend and she really wanted to help. Perhaps she was right. I needed to escape. Get away. Go somewhere where no one knew me. Find a reason to go on from here.

"Cassie ... I think you're right. I do need to get away. It's a matter of where."

"Do you think you might be happy on some south sea island?"

"No ... I don't think so. Australia or New Zealand possibly. Tahiti? I guess there's lots of possibilities. Maybe I'll visit a travel agency and see what they have."

"Whatever you decide, Colin, take care. I want you back here as the old Colin that we knew years ago. Go find yourself. Take away the pain and ugliness of the past years and find yourself again."

Cassie kissed me warmly and emotionally as she ended her plea. The more I thought about it, the more I knew I had to get my feet under me again. I had been living on anger, adrenalin, and fear since the day I was released. I needed a purge, and getting away from everything to a pleasant place made sense. But first, I had one more obligation.

Shortly before ten am, I called Harold on his direct line. I explained what my plan was and why. He readily agreed. He wanted me fresh and free of ghosts as well. I also told him of Kayla: her background, training, and my brief assessment of her capabilities and potential at Orca. He welcomed the opportunity to meet her and discuss a position.

coaster2
coaster2
2,596 Followers