Petra Ch. 02

Story Info
Stepping out and finding a place.
2.7k words
4.58
7k
2

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/27/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Iread2relax
Iread2relax
1,299 Followers

Two weeks off! Wow! What will I do?" Petra thought after her boss left. She looked around her small apartment and decided to clean. So not wasting a moment, she started cleaning. Not that she had much, but over the years she had acquired some things.

Soon she had two piles. One pile was things for the dump, and the other were things she could donate to the local shelter. Taking her time, Petra carried several small boxes to the curb. No one offered to help and she finished putting things out soon. It was late, so she'd take the others to the shelter the next day.

Returning to her small home, Petra called and checked on her mother. She was resting so Petra decided to make a small meal for herself. Selecting a show from the local channels, Petra sat on her sofa and immersed herself in the television.

As she watched, she wondered about the homeless man that helped her earlier. Did he have someplace safe to sleep, at least. She prayed he did, but tomorrow she'd find him and give something to show her appreciation. Soon her show started and for the next few hours, she escaped onto a world of fantasy. The next morning her alarm sounded, but she remembered that her boss told her to take some time. Still rising early, Petra realized that she had nothing to do. She needed something else in her life. She remembered that a church was located near her home so she decided to go there. Maybe she could help in some way. Quite possible, she'd run onto the man that helped her.

With a new outlook and focus, Petra dressed and headed out. It was busy, but no one noticed her and she walked unhindered by anyone. Soon she reached the church and entered. People were in line waiting to be fed and one of the workers told her to go to the end. Petra stopped and tried to speak when the woman simply guided her to the line and said, "Stay here."

While in line, Petra talked with several people.

"She ain't got no business treating you like that." A much older woman stated. "No right at all. I'm telling Pastor Munroe. He'll set her straight again."

"Ma'am that's OK. I actually wanted to see if I could help in some way." Petra explained when someone recognized her.

"I know you. Your cat was hit. I remember you from yesterday." The man who helped her yesterday spoke. Petra smiled.

"Yes, I wanted to thank you for showing such kindness. You really made things so much more bearable for me. I'm Petra and you are?"' She explained.

The man smiled, and despite his haggard appearance, Petra thought his was the most beautiful person she'd ever seen. Soon the line moved and a portly man walked over to them. "I'm Adam Cordell and this wonderful woman is my friend Beatrice Little." He proudly introduced himself. Petra liked them and s they talked she grew even more comfortable with them.

"Hello Miss, I've never seen you here before." He greeted extending his hand,

Petra shook his hand hesitantly as her new friends introduced him. "Pastor Munroe, this is Petra. Adam was telling you about her cat last night."

He smiled and covered both of her hands. "Young Lady, I'm so sorry that you lost a friend, but we hope you stay and become a member of our family. You've met Beatrice and Adam. There are many others that will welcome you here."

"Wait, Petra spoke. I wanted to see if I can help. I brought in a donation and the lady tossed it in the corner and told me to line up here."

Pastor looked over at his member. She volunteered to help every Monday, but it was obvious she hated being here. He often spoke to her and encouraged her to help in other ways. She was determined to volunteer at the feeding line. It was obvious to everyone that this was not where she needed to be.

Moving along the line, Munroe knew he had to address her once again. Petra stayed in line talking with her new friends. Soon they were given rations, and sat to eat. Surprisingly, the food was not half bad. When they finished eating, the pastor led the group in prayer and volunteer health workers were scheduled to come in. Petra volunteered and helped organize the patrons according to their complaints. Munroe was impressed.

Soon everyone had been serviced, and the day was over. She felt good. For once, she felt as if she had accomplished something great. AS she prepared to leave, Pastor Munroe stopped her and thanked her. She didn't know it, but her actions helped save lives that day. Several patients had serious illnesses that would have been missed if someone did not make sure everyone was seen. Now they could get help.

Petra paused. She had questions. Her new friend, Adam and Beatrice, slept on the streets. It was spring now, but what about summer when it was too hot to be out or winter when temps were at zero or negative. The Pastor nodded.

He told Petra that he was working on something. If she could come back tomorrow, he'd show her. She smiled and told him."I'll be here." She left, and walked back to her apartment. Letting herself inside, she didn't feel so alone anymore. She felt as if for once, things would be OK.

Petra arrived at her small apartment. To her surprise, some one left a note on her door. Picking up the card she opened it and smiled. It was from work. The note was simple and sweet, and she was a bit surprised to get it. It was a letter of apology, not from her tormentors, but others who saw what was happening and said nothing. Several people signed the card and told her to enjoy her two weeks off, because she deserved them. They also included a generous cash donation for her to enjoy.

Petra was speechless. She was not the only one they targeted, but she was the one they targeted the most. Going inside, she made a quick meal and sat down to relax when her phone rang. It was her boss.

"Petra, this is John Smith, from ConScotts. I was checking to make sure you are alright." He explained.

Petra smiled, "Thank you, sir. I'm fine. You really didn't have to call." She added.

John sighed, "Yes I did. I would have stopped by, but I didn't want to intrude. Listen, I'm here and I can assure you things will be better when you return. Call me if you ever need to talk. I hope we can be friends Petra. I want you to know that you can count on me." Petra was silent.

"I'm sorry. I don't mean to make you uncomfortable. It's just that I know how you felt. My grandfather founded this company and my father ran it. My brother was groomed to become CEO, but he was killed. So I had to take over. The board of directors hated me and constantly challenged me. My mom stood against them but she had no real sway. So all I mean is that I know what it feels like to be targeted by a group that is stronger than you. I know how they feed on your pain. I was a contributor in my treatment of you as well and I do apologize." He exhaled. Petra waited.

"I don't have friends. The only time I am comfortable at all is at the office and honestly you being there made it bearable. I wish you had said something. I would have dealt with them sooner, but I understand why you never did. " John paused.

Petra spoke, "How did you find out?" She squeaked.

"Someone came and told me before I left and I caught them laughing about it." John explained.

John paused. He wanted to ask her if he could come over, but it was late. "Well, like I said, call if you ever need to talk. Petra, I'm, serious, call me." He took a deep breath. "Can I call you tomorrow?" He asked.

Petra paused: She felt uncomfortable, yet she wanted him to call. So taking a brave step she answered, "Yes."

John smiled. "OK, I'll talk to you tomorrow evening then. Relax, Ok. Don't worry about work, your position is safe."

Petra hang up the phone and was happy. Today was so different from the others. She helped people, others loved being around her, and her boss seemed to be true to his promise.

Petra sat and ate her dinner. Before long, it was late and she turned in. She told Pastor Munroe she'd be back at the help center early and she would keep her word.

*****

The next morning, Petra rose early. She was at the center as it opened. The woman from the day before met her and offered a gruff apology. "Look, sweetheart, I thought you were one of those people. I mean, I don't mind helping the needy, but really some of them can do something to help themselves. Well they won't, as long as they have do-gooders like us around, they don't have to." She complained. Petra quickly removed herself from her company.

Pastor Munroe asked her to help prepare care bags. Care bags were simple to pack. Each day of the week, the center provided service for different demographics.

Saturday through Monday, they fed and provided care for the homeless.

On Tuesday, they packed care packages to be delivered to elderly and disabled people in the community.

Wednesday, he informed her was clothing day, Many people donated clothes, household items, etc... And people from the community could come browse and take what they needed.

Thursday, was ministry day. The church had auxiliaries that held meetings for various groups. And Friday, was potluck. Petra was awed, and grateful to be able to help even the smallest bit.

She even accompanied several women who delivered the packages. She was surprised to learn that several were packages delivered to her neighbors. Petra learned the names of some of the people that lived next to her. As they realized who she was, each one expressed their feeling about Tom. Petra smiled as she realized that that old cat not only touched her lives, but the lives of others as well.

Soon, like the day before, the day ended. As Petra prepared her dinner, her phone rang. Her boss called again and they chatted. Time flew and it was almost midnight when they hang up. The week continued and before long, Petra had one more vacation week left.

Petra walked to the church and attended Sunday services. Her neighbors asked her to visit also she spent time with them after services. Soon she went home. Exhausted and happy for the first time in a long time, Petra decided to lie down. Her phone rang. It was the residential home where her other lived. Petra answered immediately.

"Hello, Ms. Lyons, this is Darcy Grace at Peaceful Living. I am calling about you mother, Ms. Nadine Lyons." Petra's heart raced.

"What's wrong with my mother?" Petra asked.

"Ma'am, your mother has asked to leave. She wants to move to the city with you. Since she volunteered to stay here, we cannot force her to stay. However, Ms. Lyons, if you say so, we can delay her departure." The lady explained.

Petra paused. Her mother was not fond of her, but she was still her mother. "Ms. Grace, I need to speak with my mother. I'll be there tomorrow." Usually, Petra would take a bus to town and stay at a local hotel when she visited. But this was different, she had to go immediately. She called Pastor Munroe the next morning and explained and he offered a solution immediately. Pastor Munroe and Petra drove into Peaceful Living where her mother was waiting."

"Momma, what's wrong?" Petra asked. Her mother burst into tears.

She knew something was wrong. Pastor Munroe stepped out and let her talk with her mother. Petra rarely became angry, but what her mother described made her furious. "Momma, you don't have to stay here. You can come home with me. I don't have much, but I have a place where we can go." Petra promised.

By noon, the three people were driving back to Petra's small apartment. Her mother did not comment on her daughter's small home. Petra was worried she was disappointed. That evening, her doorbell rang and her boss, John, stopped by.

He met her mother, and he realized the small apartment was not big enough. Petra was returning to work soon, and her mother did not need to be alone. He spoke with her Mom and realized that she was a kindred spirit. Petra's neighbors came over and met her mother. Each one told her they'd help as best they could.

Her mother just wanted to be left alone, so they would check in, but other than that, they'd give her privacy.

With her mother visiting, Petra reported to the help center a little later than usual. Pastor Munroe told her to bring her mother, Petra was not so sure, but one day Mom went with her. She sat alone, but watched. Soon, Adam and Beatrice sat with her and talked to her. She spoke with them, and Petra saw her come out of her shell.

Each day, for the rest of her second week, she went to the center, Mom joined her some days. Some days, she wanted to be alone. Her boss stopped by and brought games. He played with her Mom who beat him every time.

Soon, her second week had ended and she had to return to work. Petra could not sleep. Her boss called and told her he could not wait for her to return. Her neighbors told her if anyone messed with her, they'd beat them with their walkers. Pastor Munroe told her, she was beautiful and had no need to fear. She had the spirit of a warrior, and no one would defeat her. She wished she could believe them but she remembered the jeers, the teasing,

The next morning, Petra walked into her office. The receptionist hugged her and welcomed her back. Her coworkers greeted her as well. She noticed that the ones that tormented her looked at her and stayed away. So she reported her office where her boss welcomed her with a smile. Then it was business as usual.

Before long, it was time for lunch. Petra forget to even pack lunch, Her boss told her his treat, and she ordered for them. Later that day, he called for coffee and she went in t the lounge where two f her tormentors' waiting. She walked in and they went silent. Petra poured his coffee and waited when one of the women spoke.

"Petra, look, I apologize. I was wrong in what I did to you. I knew better. There is no excuse and I promise it won't happen again." The young woman spoke solemnly. Petra looked at her and her companion.

Her companion spoke as well, "Look I'm sorry too. We're not the evil witches we pretended to be. I hope you can forgive us and get to know us." She stated.

Petra looked at them and smiled. "OK, thank you, I accept your apologies."

The girls smiled and Petra returned to her post. She realized that the other ones that were so cruel were no longer there. She later learned that they were dismissed and given generous severance packages to leave right away. Only Candace and Fiona refused the packages and pleaded to keep their jobs. Those two girls chose the wrong people to be friends with, but that had been rectified.

As the day ended, Petra looked up to see John watching her. "Petra, thank you for giving me a chance to fix this. Welcome back."

She smiled at her boss and whispered, "Thank you."

~~~~~~

How many people feel like Petra? Small? Unimportant? Invisible? Then you find one place where you matter. Even the smallest act of kindness can make a monumental change to someone that feels alone.

I realize there may be some errors. I certainly hope the mistakes you come across have no bearing on whether or not you enjoy the story.

I hope you enjoyed this second installment. I'm not sure if this is the end or if it will continue. Either way, please share your thoughts.

Iread2relax
Iread2relax
1,299 Followers