Pinball Wizardess

Story Info
He meets her at the arcade. But there is a problem...
8k words
4.62
20.3k
31
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DrTool
DrTool
23 Followers

"Card, please. Welcome back, Frank."

"Mike, you know me by name", said Frank. "You know I don't drink, I'm here for your arcade games. Why do I have to show my ID?"

The bouncer looked at him. "I get paid to make everybody show an ID. You too. You didn't lose your ID again, did you?"

Frank sighed. "New year, new ID." He produced his new student ID. He was a senior now. Mike had let him in since he was a sophomore, on his brother's old ID. Mike didn't worry nearly as much about the validity of the ID for people who didn't cause trouble.

Right behind him a pretty lady was waiting, or he would have razzed his favorite bouncer more. He stood aside, to let her by.

"ID, please. Welcome to 'The Toolkit'."

Frank glanced at her. She had a dark hair, a page boy haircut, a pert little nose, a flowery top that would have passed for a miniskirt without the blue jeans underneath, and she had an incredibly pretty frown as she dug through her purse. Frank had never seen a pretty frown, before.

She handed over a card. "Driver's license OK?"

The bouncer squinted at it. "You with the college?"

She nodded. "New this year."

"Next time, bring your college ID, please. Out of state licenses are too easy to forge."

There was that frown again, coupled with a sigh. Frank liked the way her body moved when she sighed. "That's a valid ID. I'm over 21. Besides, I'm not here to drink; I just came to see if you have any pinball machines."

"Welcome, Kelly," Mike said, after a final glance at her license, "my buddy Frank here will show you to our arcade room. Don't spend your whole allowance."

Well, Mike, I owe you one, Frank thought. "Well, Kelly, is it? They've got two actual pinball machines left in these modern times, and several other games. Come on, I'll show you the ropes." She stayed by his side as he went straight to the arcade room. Her profile looked fairly nice.

"So, new at the college this year?" Frank hated asking people what there major was, or which sorority they pledged. She must be either a transfer or a non-traditional student; either way, not your typical incoming student. She looked young, but carried herself with a certainty that in his mind went with maturity.

"Yep, I just came from ISU. They decided they wanted me here, and I wanted a small town. Preferably with pinball machines." Her smile was much prettier than her frown.

Kelly was used to being carded at bars. Some people still mistook her for a teenager. She supposed some day she would like how much younger she looked than she was, but it was irritating. She hoped too many people didn't mistake her for a student. Surely she looked older than a freshman, at least. She had a PhD from ISU, and she still looked young enough to be carded.

"So", she asked, "are you with the college? What area?"

"I do philosophy."

She frowned the pretty frown again. "I'm surprised I didn't run into you before. I'm philosophy too."

He shrugged. "You're new. I guess you didn't meet everybody on your visit." Then he quickly added, "But I'm really glad to meet you now."

They entered the arcade room. "Why am I not surprised," she said. The pinball machines were decorated with images of scantily clad buxom women. "So sexist."

"Hey, I don't make the machines. Sorry."

"I know, most pinball players are guys, yada yada yada, but why is it always so

sexist?"

"Well, Kelly," he liked how her name sounded, "You're right about it mostly being guys in here. And you know how marketing works. Both men and women are more likely to use a product that is associated with a pretty woman. But I must admit..." he hesitated.

"What?"

"Well, this is the first time in my experience that the person playing the machine is prettier than the images ON the machine. Not meaning to be sexist." He paused, hoping he hadn't just put his foot in it. She blushed. He hoped that was a good sign.

"Do you say that to all the women who play pinball with you?" she asked.

"Well, technically, yes," he admitted, "because you are actually the only woman I've even seen in this room. It really is usually a guy thing here." Then he blurted out "but I'm glad to have you here. Really."

She had not wasted any time, and was racking up the points while they were talking. His score was suffering, because he kept sneaking peeks at her profile. Maybe she wasn't centerfold material, but she had a bouncy perkiness that he really liked.

"Hey," she said, "I was supposed to get an extra game. What gives?"

"Didn't you say you came from ISU?"

"Yeah, ISU in Bloomington, Illinois. Why?"

"Oh. Here, when we say ISU, we mean Indiana State University. Bloomington is Illinois State University. I grew up near Peoria, but I got corrected when I first came."

"So, what's the big deal?"

"This is Indiana. The Indiana anti-gambling laws prevent pinball machines from giving extra games."

She looked at him. "You're joking. I'm going to need more quarters than I thought."

He held his palm up, as if being sworn in court. "You came to the wrong state." He slid a quarter over to her. "I'll spot you a game or two, as a welcome to Indiana." He looked at her. "Your company is worth a lot more to me than a quarter."

She laughed. "You smooth talker, you. But the only thing you get for your quarter is to watch me play it. Are we clear on that?"

"Sure. It's worth it, to watch a pro." She really was good. If not for that silly law, she might have been able to play all night on one quarter. She was totally into the game, bouncing from side to side, cheering, cursing, and having a grand old time. Too soon they were both out of quarters.

She was breathing heavily, beaming, her face was glowing. For her, pinball was good exercise. "So, Kelly," he said, tentatively, "I'm out of quarters, but I think I've got enough bills for two ice cream cones on the way back to campus. Celebrate the new semester?" I really should get to bed early, Frank thought, but I want a chance to get her phone number. She's a live one.

Kelly hesitated. He seemed so nice, and she needed to make friends among her coworkers, but tomorrow was the first day of class, and she wasn't ready yet. "I'd love to, Frank, but I really can't. Rain check?"

He was a little disappointed, but tried not to show it. "Did you drive here or walk?"

"I walked. Why?"

"So did I. Can I walk you back to your place, then? We might as well walk together."

She gave him a long look, and then smiled. "Yes, I'd like the company. Thank you."

They started walking. Frank was trying to nerve himself up to hold her hand on the walk back to campus, when she stubbed her toe on a bad spot on the sidewalk. He had just taken a long step over the spot, and heard the crack of shoe on sidewalk. He turned, and just managed to catch her. He pulled her upright, which incidentally pulled them very close together.

"Are you OK?" he whispered into her ear.

"Yes, thank you," she whispered. She didn't pull away.

"I've never had a beautiful woman fall for me like that before."

She turned her head to look into his eyes. "You are pretty strong. That would have been a bad fall. Thank you."

"I've never thought of myself as pretty strong, but I already think of you as pretty." Couldn't he come up with a better line than that?

"I was already glad I met you tonight," she answered, "even before you caught me." She nodded. "Nice catch."

He nodded too. "I thought so. And I'm sure anyone who met you would agree." He enjoyed watching her blush, as she caught his second meaning. "And I'd like to see you again" he said. "Are you going to be on campus this weekend?"

"Yeah, but I'll have a lot to do. But...maybe some pinball and icecream? Saturday?"

"Give me your phone number, and I'll call you to find out what time you'll be ready."

Her eyes widened. "I... don't have my new phone number memorized, yet."

His face fell. Was that truth, or brush off?

"Give me YOUR number," she said. "I'll call YOU. OK?"

"Oh, very much OK," he said. His arms were still around her. Her face was close. He took the chance, and leaned over, and gave her a gentle kiss. She smiled at him.

"I really have to get back home," she said. "But I really look forward to seeing you this weekend."

It turned out she lived in a little house, on the edge of the park near campus. She let him in, just long enough to write his phone number down. "See you Saturday. I'll call." And she gave him a sweet little kiss, just before she shooed him out.

The next day, Frank arrived extra early for his first class. It was Ethics, required of all majors. He was hoping the new student, Kelly, was in at least one of his classes. As philosophy majors, there was a chance. If she hadn't had Ethics yet, she'd probably be here. Most took it as freshmen; he was probably the only senior.

Kelly liked to be early to class, but she had to copy the syllabi for the students, so she didn't have as much lead time as she wanted. She would have looked up Frank in the department directory if she had had time. She hoped she could catch Frank in the faculty lounge later. She kind of wanted to see him again. She walked into the classroom in good time, put the roster on the podium, and looked out at the gathering class.

There was Frank, sitting in one of the student desks. She peeked at the class roster. Pierce, Frank, was right there, plain as day. She looked up, and tried to smile. She was sure it looked weak.

Frank was watching everyone come in, and yes, there was Kelly! But she walked over to the podium. He looked down at his schedule again. Ethics: Marshall, K. He looked up, and caught her eye. He tried to smile, but he was pretty sure he looked sick.

She actually gave a very good first lecture. She hit the highlights of the various ethical theories that would be covered, and reviewed practical situations in which ethics played a central role. She started almost stuttering when she mentioned legal situations that would be reviewed in class, and then he saw it coming. She stared at the girl in the front row, deliberately not looking at him, as she said, "and, of course, there are situations of sexual harassment, and why employers need to be careful how they treat employees, and professors need to keep their hands off of their students. So, I expect by the time we finish discussing legal aspects of ethics, the semester will be over, and we will have a fun and exciting final exam, to tie it all together. Any questions?"

"I'm sure we can't discuss this today," Frank said, "but can we discuss how to deal with legal protections that accidentally prevent something that would be perfectly moral?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, say you have a supervisor in a company, and an employee she supervises." 'Kelly, are you thinking about professor and student right now' he thought. 'I certainly am.' "If both want... more social contact outside of work, and neither wants to abuse the professional relationship, would that be morally OK? Could it be legal? How can you know when it's OK to make an exception to a very good general policy?'

Now she looked at him, with a sad look. "You're right, that's too complex to get into today. But yes, I think we should discuss that later, in office hours, if necessary." He nodded. "Class dismissed."

After she finished her last class of the day, she returned to her office. Frank was waiting. "Professor Marshall," he said, formally, "may I make an appointment to discuss something in office hours? There is no real rush, honestly, but there is an... ethical situation I would like to discuss with you... ideally before Saturday."

She opened her office. "As it happens, I have a few minutes right now."

He followed her in, pushing the door mostly closed, but leaving just enough gap so that the door could not be said to be closed.

"Please, Frank, sit down."

"Professor, first I want to say, I suppose I should offer you an apology. I just assumed that you were a transfer student. It never occurred to me that you were the new philosophy professor. But..."

"Go on?" she prompted.

"But I can't say I'm sorry about what happened last night. I, as a human being, met another human being, who I found interesting. And I found her very attractive. And I enjoyed very much the little time we spent together. And I was looking forward to having more time to get to know her, starting Saturday."

"And now, I'm worried that because of some laws and policies, that are very good for people in general, I'm not going to have the chance to develop a relationship with such a wonderfully, intriguing person, simply because she is in a position of authority over me. Quite an ethical dilemma, isn't it?"

"I know I'm an 'A' student. I'm perfectly OK with being graded by the same standards as everybody else. I'm sure I'll do fine. I'd drop the class, but I'm a senior, and I need it for graduation. But please. Please give me a chance to get to know you... off campus. Please don't lock me out just because I'm a student. Please let me at least be your friend."

"Frank, I feel bad. This is my first semester here. I don't have tenure. The Dean doesn't even need to give a reason to not hire me back for next year. I can't risk it. Even tenured people here lose their jobs if they... develop a relationship with one of their students. Tenured philosophy positions of any kind are few and far between; this is my best shot at a job this good. I admit, I feel attracted to you, and that's why I can't. I just can't. I'm sorry." She looked closer; there were tears in his eyes.

"Is it against College policy to give upset students a hug?" he asked.

She came over to him, and pulled him close. He hugged her fiercely back.

"Just so you know," he said, "every Saturday night, all semester, I intend to be at the arcade room at 8. There is no reason you have to avoid doing an activity you enjoy, just because one of your students might be present, is there?"

"I guess not," she said. "It's a small town, and a small College."

"So, I may or may not run into you, but I'll see you for sure in class. You're already my favorite professor, after one lecture."

She gently reached up and wiped tears from his cheek. "I'm not allowed to have favorite students. But, I'm glad we met last night, first, even given how awkward that made it, today. I do love to play pinball; I'll probably run into you at the arcade, now and then. You'll be there Saturday at 8?"

He nodded; not trusting himself to say anything else, he left.

Mike nodded at Kelly as she produced her ID. "Welcome back. Frank's in the arcade area, but if you elbow him, he'll let you play your favorite machine."

"Thanks," she said. "There's more than one machine, I'm sure we can share."

"He's pretty good at sharing," Mike agreed. "Say, did you walk or drive?"

"I walked", she said, "why?"

Mike hesitated. "I'm not paid to scare off business. But I gotta mention. Last night, a young lady leaving at bar close, intoxicated, was apparently assaulted on her stumble home. Police didn't say if it was mugging or something else. I don't think anything will happen tonight, but, if Frank offers to walk you home, you should take him up on it."

"Oh, I'll be OK. It's not like we're dating, or anything. He doesn't need to walk me home."

"Listen. Miss Kelly. A guy doesn't need to be dating a lady to be a gentleman and walk her home. I'm a big guy, and nobody bothers me. But a lovely lady such as yourself, you'd be safer if someone was with you."

"Well, thanks, for thinking of me."

Frank smiled at her as she walked into the arcade. She smiled back, but didn't say anything. There was a third person there, on one of the other machines. She was already through her first quarter before she started loosening up. Shortly after that, the third person left.

"I'm getting a soda, want anything?" Frank asked.

"Thanks for asking, Frank. I'm good." Once he came back with his drink, she started feeling more normal. "So, how are your classes going?" she asked.

"Pretty good," he answered. "It's my senior year, but most of my major classes are done. So I get to finish up my minors, and take some fun classes. And my one major class I'm taking, is with a new professor, but she seems pretty smart and with it. I like her a lot, and I think it will be a great class."

"So, what minors do you have?"

"Math and computer science. I figure the computer science will get me a job, even if I don't go to graduate school."

"Makes sense. In philosopher school, they teach you to avoid questions about employability. Not very many of us get the teaching jobs. I've got teacher certification in history, as my backup."

At the beginning of her session, she had lined up 10 quarters on the machine. She grabbed a quarter, leaving two left. Then she saw movement out of the corner of her eye, and there were three quarters again.

"Have you been adding quarters?" she demanded.

"Guilty as charged," he answered. "Remember what I said about quarters last time?"

She thought, and then nodded. "But how many?" she asked.

He smiled at her. "Five, so far."

She smiled at him. "That's very thoughtful, and I appreciate it, really, but I can't have you paying for my pinball addiction. It just isn't proper. You know why." She handed him back the three quarters lined up on the machine. Besides, I've got to get home. I have some papers to grade."

"Such a mean professor," he teased, "making an assignment due Friday of the first week of class." He paused. "So, are you leaving?"

"Yes."

"Ummm, did you hear about what happened last night?"

"Mike told me. I'm surprised I hadn't heard it on campus today, but yeah, I heard."

"I really think I should walk you home."

"No, Frank, I don't think so. I appreciate it. But I can't afford to be seen being walked home by a student from the bar."

"OK", he said, "but I'm telling you. I'm leaving too, and I'm going to follow you all the way home. That's not walking together, but it still makes sure you get home safe."

She sighed, and looked at him. "OK, thank you. I accept."

True to his word, Frank followed about a block behind. When she got to the park, which had no street lights, he was suddenly next to her. "Maybe you should walk AROUND the park tonight," he said softly. "Better lighting."

She went straight on in anyway, but she didn't object to him walking her through the dark park. Then she saw, in the moonlight, shadowy figures ahead. "Frank, someone is smoking up there, by the path to my house."

"Bull through, or retreat?" he asked.

"Bull through. But now, I'm glad you're here."

The two shadowy figures blocked the main path. "Well, what have we here? Are we out for a little walk?" one of them said.

Frank whispered to her, "go on home without me if you get a chance. Seriously." He walked up to the two shadowy figures, incidentally leaving her a clear shot at the side path that was her true destination.

"Yeah, guys, want to join me? I'm just getting a little healthy exercise."

"How about your girlfriend? Is she exercising too?"

"Oh her? She just followed me into the park. Will you protect me? I was afraid she was going to mug me."

"Well, said the other, we got good news and bad news. The good news is, we won't let her mug you."

"But the bad news is", said the other, "that we WILL."

Kelly took off running. One of the guys started after her; Frank spun around and tripped the guy with his leg, sending him sprawling. That gave her just enough time to get away, but now he was trapped.

"Oh, you shouldn't have done that. YOU spoiled our fun. If you got enough money on you, though, we'll not beat you up."

"TOO bad," added the other.

Frank stuck his hand in his pocket. He grabbed the remainder of his roll of quarters inside his fist. "I'll give you all the money I have on me," he said.

DrTool
DrTool
23 Followers