Plain Gold Ring Pt. 02

Story Info
John, Melissa and June struggle to find the next step.
11.8k words
4.3
39.6k
22

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 05/23/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thanks, Tinkz, for looking this over for me, even amidst wedding planning. A big THANK YOU to Ramon for reading it amidst crazy work hours and giving me such awesome feedback. You helped me so much.

MELISSA

No one could call Melissa stupid, though she is sure many people would say otherwise.

She is actually quite intelligent; she just chooses to hide it. She would have to be smart to do what she does, to assess a room and find someone who will be of most use, while smiling and being charming at the same time. Pretending to be dumb helps. Especially if one is a woman.

She has never failed. This time, however, she has completely botched her plans. Completely. She would have pressed John to let her stay and to work things out when he confronted her, but the flickering rage in his eyes told her he needed some time.

Thankfully one of her friends is letting her stay at her house for a few days. Melissa hopes the dust will settle by then, but she isn't sure. Stressed as she is, she eases her way into a bubble bath and thinks.

Usually she knows exactly what will happen. She's a bit of a psychic in that regard; she should've tried to make money off of her talent. It's easy for her to peer into someone's face and see everything, know everything. But this... She sighs and rests her head back, reflecting on her situation.

When she married John, it was a no-brainer. He didn't make a lot of money, but he worshipped her. He would do anything for her, would let her get away with murder, and that suited her just fine. For a time.

In the beginning she was a good girl. John was a wonderful lover and she was too busy setting up house and working part-time at the veterinary hospital to even think about being bad. Plus she didn't get out enough to lure any potential boyfriends.

Ray, the vet, never interested her much. He was tall and too skinny, and a great deal older. But some of the other assistants giggled when he passed by, and Melissa overheard them saying how strangely attractive he was. "Sexy ugly" a girl giggled. They also said he was richer than one would guess.

So one day she paid attention to him, watched him move and studied his habits. It fascinated her that he made the money he did, that he had such a beautiful wife, that he drove such an outstanding car...and in spite of all this, he was so mild-mannered. He didn't walk around cockily. His voice was never louder than necessary, and he didn't look to the faces around him to make sure everyone fawned over him.

His hands and arms were surprisingly strong, she noticed, when they held down his patients so he could examine them. She catalogued the way he walked, how he smiled at his patients' owners and even the way he signed forms. There was an art about him, she finally decided. He was attractive in a bizarre way, and she liked it. Lust swelled in her stomach, and the desire to be rich and taken care of simmered in her chest.

Melissa's plan was to supplant the current Mrs. Griffin. She was trading up for a better model of husband. She'd have more money, an easy life and a chance to escape her cookie-cutter neighborhood. John would be fine, she told herself. He was a good guy. Some poor girl would come upon him and decide to fix his broken heart. Certain girls ate that shit right up.

So the first step had been getting Ray interested. The only problem was Melissa didn't know how he'd feel about an affair. She didn't want to offend him by being too forward. It is surprising who bends and who stands straight when faced with temptation.

Melissa is temptation personified, or that's at least what an ex-boyfriend said years ago. She loves the idea of being something men simply can't deny. Rejection is foreign to her. Tits, ass, legs and hair—she is pieces of a woman, never a whole one, but that's never bothered her.

Since every man is different, Melissa must decide which attribute to lead with each time she wants something from a man. Ray's intelligence tipped her off that she'd have to flaunt her considerable brain-power to win him over.

It took her longer than she anticipated. He answered her flirting with polite smiles. Delicately turned down her offers for drinks. Kept his body as far away from hers when they were at work.

But Melissa knew he'd eventually crack. He watched her, too. His eyes studied her body, followed her around as she did her work. They carried on deeper conversations. He took her to lunch with him. She stayed later than she was scheduled for so they could keep talking. She knew he was impressed by the things she said. He hadn't expected her to have a brain. She bided her time, waiting for him to make a move.

And then it started how most of these things start: entirely out of the blue. Melissa was working a late shift and the other assistant was sick and had to go home. That left only the secretary outside. Ray and Melissa were alone and not busy at all. When it was nearly time to close up, Ray's eyes met hers and it was all over.

She fucks him in movie theaters because it's exciting. Even more exciting when sex is happening on the big screen. Knowing they're lost in a sea of people while getting the other off turns both of them extremely on. They try to be careful while they play. They love the illicitness, but they don't want to be arrested, either. Ray is particularly nervous about that.

For Ray, it's fun. For Melissa, it's fun and work. She struggles to make him crave her. She knows he's fond of her. He even bought her a diamond necklace on a whim.

He's taken her to a hotel a few times. They've fucked in both cars. His Mercedes was a lot more exciting, that's for sure. He likes fucking her, no doubt, but she can't get him to care about her just yet. Really care—care so much he can't be without her. She needs time.

Time she no longer has.

June fucking Silva. She's hated that girl ever since John began tutoring her years before. She isn't blind. June is pretty. She's always been pretty, and the kind of pretty Melissa could imagine John finding sexy. Lucky for Melissa, John was too bound by honor in those days to even let himself think of the girl like that.

She knew one day it might be a problem, but she figured—especially when she met Ray—she'd be gone by then. The children could be left behind to play; it was nothing to her.

Now the schedule is messed up. The timing is all wrong. It's as if she's pulled a pie out of the oven before it's done cooking.

Ray likes her and her pussy a great deal, but Melissa fears it won't be enough to draw him away from his meek little wife who, she learned after they began the affair, possesses a great deal of their money through an inheritance she received before they married. It would appear Ray knows the game, as well.

Melissa doesn't have any money, though the courts will allow her some through the divorce. It might be too late by then. If John has his way, he could very well make things unpleasant for her and Ray.

She lifts her soaking hands from the tub and ties her hair into a messy bun as she tries to figure out her next step. Ray's wife can't know about his dalliance, as she'll divorce Ray and take most of the money with her. Ray makes good money on his own, but the whole thing will leave a sour taste in his mouth. Melissa just knows he'll give her up then, and she'll have to start from scratch with someone else. Plus she'll be exposed to everyone, and she can't have that. Appearances are crucial.

When John caught her the first time, the excuse of a miscarriage seemed genius to her. He certainly wasn't going to investigate to find out if she was telling the truth, and she saw the softness in his features after she said the words. John even felt bad for her.

The second time obviously made things trickier. John knew she hadn't stopped somehow. He watched them.

Melissa wonders what he thought when he saw them twisting against one another, the flashing lights on the screen playing on their bodies. John had enjoyed risky sex when they got married. They did it everywhere they could. Did it turn John on, she wonders, even a little?

No. She remembers his face when he confronted her. No. It didn't turn him on. But she bets he stayed the entire time, watching. He'd need to in order to stand up to her, to turn his back on the years they'd been together and all the good times sprinkled throughout.

The water in the tub is cool. Melissa can't stay submerged for much longer. The terrible part is she still has no plan, and Melissa always has a plan.

"Mel?" her friend knocks.

"Just a second." She sighs, lifting her body up. The water splashes as she steps out. She opens the door a sliver and her friend—Karen—hands her a towel and robe.

"You forgot these outside."

Melissa takes them and gives Karen a grateful smile. "I'm so scatter-brained right now."

"I can imagine. See you downstairs. I'm making steak."

"Thank you."

Melissa shuts the door and stares into the mirror. Some mascara has smudged beneath her eye. She fixes herself up a little and thinks about Karen.

A main reason why Melissa chose Karen to come to over the other women she's collected and deemed "friends" is because Karen's been married three times. Each time she wrapped those men around her finger, and each time she took them for most of what they were worth. She possesses even less scruples than Melissa, and clearly a lot more talent.

Karen's not even that pretty, at least to Melissa. She is short and incredibly fit. She spends a great deal of time at the gym. Lord knows she doesn't have to work. She loves bold-colored lipsticks and delicate eye shadows. She's tan from sitting out beside her pool almost every day, and her blonde hair is cut into a blunt bob that just tickles her shoulders. To Melissa, she is average. There isn't anything special about the way she looks. Some men like that, however, that girl-next-door look. Those men are dead in the water if Karen is near.

Melissa asked her once if she'd ever loved any of them, even a little. Karen told her to stop being fucking sappy. Men had used her for most of her life, she said. She decided at some point to use them back. She'd gotten good at it, too. She didn't need love.

So now that Melissa needs help from the best, Karen is an obvious choice. Karen's willing to offer it, too. John annoyed Karen since the first time she met him and she saw how blissfully ignorant he was. She hates innocence and all-consuming kindness, she told Melissa when she first called her and told her she'd begun an affair with the vet. Karen had been glad John would suffer.

"People are boring if they haven't suffered a little," she said. "Maybe it'll do him some good."

Melissa doesn't have an opinion one way or another on that. She merely loves sex and power. Ray can give her both, at least for now. She doesn't want to hurt John, but she doesn't care if she does, either. She's hurt him already and she doesn't feel particularly bad about it. She's more concerned about what it means for her.

Her cell goes off and she dashes over. It's Ray. She texted him earlier when John threw her out.

"Hi."

"What happened? How did he find out?" Ray is brusque and focused. "Was it that girl from the movie theater?"

"Yes."

"Jesus." He's quiet for a minute, thinking. She can hear him puffing on a cigarette. "Does he plan on divorcing you?"

"Yeah, that's what he said."

"Men change their minds." He breathes heavily for a minute and asks the question Melissa knows he wanted to ask first. "Will he tell?"

She makes him wait for a minute. "I'm not sure."

"Fuck." More puffs of the cigarette. "You need to try to fix this, Mel. This isn't good for either of us."

"Well, I don't know. Maybe it would be good for us," she says. It's too soon to broach this but she needs to try.

"Us? What are you talking about?"

Her fingernails stab her palm as her hand clenches in an anxious fist. "You say Emma is a bore all the time."

"Melissa, I don't want to divorce my wife." He sighs. "I never thought you imagined I would do so. What you and I have...is great. Better than great. You know how much you mean to me."

She needs to sit on the bed. Her breathing is labored. "Prove it."

"Melissa, please. Don't start."

"Will I see you at work tomorrow?"

He sighs again. "Of course. Everything is fine. You'll work on your husband, yes?"

Sulkily she agrees.

"Thank you. I mean it, baby."

Then he hangs up.

Once Melissa's dressed and presentable, she runs downstairs. Though she's seen it several times, she's always in awe of Karen's kitchen. It is gloriously large and shiny, with everything it ought to have. Karen wasn't cheap when it came to decorating.

Karen flips the steaks over in the pan and looks up. She smirks at Melissa. "Your dress is inside out."

She full on laughs as Melissa quickly yanks it off and puts it back on correctly.

"You're a mess. I've never seen you like this before."

"None of it has turned out the way I planned." Melissa nearly sounds panicked, so she takes a deep breath. She plays with her necklace as she continues. "Everything blew up in my face when that little bitch manipulated her way next to John and whispered in his ear. He would have never known otherwise."

"Yes," Karen says gravely. "That certainly didn't help. You should have been a little more attentive to him, you know."

Then Melissa tells Karen about her phone conversation.

"Fuck," Karen hisses. "Raymond is a dead end. Find a different goldmine."

"But I put so much work into him."

"Play with him as much as you can," Karen suggests. "Drive him wild. There's always a chance. But don't get your hopes up."

Melissa walks over and knocks her hip into Karen's. "So. What am I going to do about the whole divorce thing? Money, getting the upper hand in the divorce, blah blah." She thinks for a second. "I also wish there was something I could do to that little bitch."

"Did your bath give you any ideas?"

Melissa steals a cucumber. "No. Not even one."

"You like yours medium rare, right?"

She blinks at the subject change and glances distractedly at the pan. "Yes."

Karen puts the sizzling steaks onto two plates. Wordlessly she brings them out to the kitchen table. Melissa picks up the bowl of salad and follows, the disaster of her life still on her mind.

Karen pours two glasses of wine and sits, sighing as she stretches her arms above her head. "I rearranged one of the rooms upstairs and I think I pulled a muscle in my neck."

"Karen, I—"

"Oh, relax," she laughed, scooping some lettuce onto her plate. "I thought of a few things while you wallowed in my bathtub."

"You did?"

"Of course. Now eat your steak while we go over some of your options."

JUNE

John kisses her for a while after they are finished. The kisses are different from before. Now they are long and searching; his lips move slowly and purposefully against hers while his tongue traces her mouth.

She can't decide which she likes better—these patient kisses or the frantic, desperate ones that make her ravenous.

Eventually he gives her one last kiss and steps back. His hand lifts to stroke her cheek and his thumb presses down on her lips. "You look so hot right now."

A thrill courses through her. "Really?"

One side of his mouth turns up. "Yes. Very. You look...defiled. Like a dirty girl. Kind of slutty, even. Your lips are so swollen and your eyes are bright as fuck."

June laughs. "That's hot?"

"On you, it is. Knowing I'm the one who made you look like that is even hotter."

She swallows and stares at his lips, wishing they were kissing her again.

"It's late." He looks around the neighborhood and June follows his gaze. No one is around.

She half-hopes he will ask her in again so that they could sleep next to each other and maybe go for another round. She's over respecting Melissa's space, especially after what John just did to her body. But he leans closer and whispers he'll see her tomorrow. She gives him a smile to cover her disappointment and presses her mouth against his one last time.

Maggie is up drinking tea when June runs in. She is too uncomfortable to sleep these days; being 8 months pregnant is no picnic. She's huge and miserable.

Her aunt looks her up and down and curses under her breath. June has no idea what she looks like, but if she still looks as John described then Maggie is likely seeing the same things. It makes her a little embarrassed that all of her emotions and the remnants of what just happened are so obviously laid bare on her face.

"June."

It's not really a question. Maggie whispers it to herself more than anything.

"Yes?" June smooths down her skirt and prays to God Maggie won't ask her where she's been. She probably has a good idea, anyway. June also prays Maggie isn't judging her, which would be easy to do since she doesn't have the whole story.

"God." Maggie sighs. "Nevermind. Want some tea?"

June lets out a deep, relieved breath. "No thanks, I think I'm gonna just head up to bed. I have class in the morning."

Maggie looks sad but she nods. "Good night, then."

"Good night," June whispers.

__________________________________

The next morning is strange for her. She's sore everywhere, especially in the most delicious places. She's accomplished one of her most exciting and seemingly impossible fantasies. She squeals into her pillow like an immature teenager and no matter what she does, she can't get rid of her huge smile.

In all of June's dreams, being with John was incredible. But the reality of it is so much more.

June typically dreamt of them "making love"— of him peppering her body with tender kisses and bringing them both to orgasm with unhurried but deep thrusts. She never imagined it would be so rough and dirty and hard. And she certainly never thought it would be against his house.

She has a few classes to go to but she kinda wants to blow them off. She's on such a high, the kind of high she never wants to come down from.

Maggie knocks on her door. "June?"

June deliberates not answering but Maggie will probably come barging in, anyway. "Yeah?"

"Don't you have class? You're going to be late."

Maggie's only done this a few times before. June suspects she's checking in on her this morning because of the previous night. "I'm thinking of skipping."

Silence. A few beats later, Maggie knocks on the door again. "May I come in?"

Ugh. "Yeah," June sighs.

Maggie opens the door and closes it behind her. She sits on the edge of June's bed, looking dreadfully uncomfortable. June senses some of the discomfort is because of what she wants to say.

"I love you. I love you like you're my own kid. You know that."

"Of course I know that." June sits up and pulls her knees to her chest. "What's wrong, Maggie?"

"I'm going to make an educated guess you didn't come in here last night, all ruffled and dazed, from spending time with Tom." Her eyes finally meet June's. "Right?"

June doesn't like this. She's a little old for lectures. She narrows her eyes and tosses her hair over her shoulder. "Sorry, but I don't think it's any of your business."

Maggie runs her hands over her belly. "I'm practically your mother. I didn't give birth to you but I tried to raise you in the years I had you. I love you, like I said. I have to try to give my—"

"Maggie, you mean well but please stop."

June's heart races and her stomach is all in knots. She doesn't want her aunt to think badly of her, but she doesn't want to talk about it with her, either. She'll call Lisa later. Lisa will just die. And she'll be excited for June. Maybe even a little jealous—Lisa always thought he was hot, too.