Pretty China Girl

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Why are you here?" I asked.

I had to ask twice before understanding the answer because her voice was so soft. "I belong to you."

All hope drained from me. I'd been wishing that she wouldn't know, and perhaps another option would be available. I groaned aloud because my choice was now ordained. Mei began shaking.

"You are afraid?"

Her response was slow in coming. "You will leave me?" she asked timidly, almost inaudibly.

I certainly didn't want her as a responsibility, but regardless, I couldn't abandon her. Somehow, she needed to be reassured.

"You can stay with me, for now."

She showed a noticeable release of tension.

"Mei, look at me."

When she didn't, I repeated my request. Still she refused. I extended a finger and raised her chin until our eyes met.

"Mei, you're NOT my servant. You're my friend."

A question showed on her face.

I repeated my statement to make certain she clearly understood.

Her frown deepened and her brows drew together forming a crease. Then her eyes opened wide and I saw panic.

Dropping to her knees, she bowed to my feet. "You will not care for Mei Ling?" she asked.

Was she pleading? She had a deep dread of abandonment. It was like a paradox and I did wish she were gone. And though others had forced the responsibility upon me, I wasn't about to toss her aside. She, on the other hand, didn't know this and feared I'd cast her adrift.

I crouched, extended my arm and raised her to her feet, "You can stay with me as a friend. I promise to care for you until something can be worked out."

She looked at me and then smiled.

**********

In the morning, we shopped for some clothes for her before heading to the airport. She followed obediently while I bought her ticket. Then we waited for our flight.

Our lives had changed so much in the past two days; especially hers and all because of a potentate's whim. Mei was moving into a culture where everything would be new. She would likely be frightened and thrown upon my largesse. As much as I wanted, I certainly would not discard her. There were too many reasons why.

"Would you leave without letting me say good bye?"

I was startled at the sound of Wu Chung's voice. He was smiling as he approached.

"It is good to see you again."

His eyes moved to Mei and I caught the flicker of a smile on her face as she recognized someone. She brightened as they exchanged greetings.

"Wu, would you tell her what it is like where we are going?"

In her animated discussion, Mei asked question after question and Wu patiently explained. They would have talked longer except for the announcement to board our plane.

"Ray Petriani, please return to our country some day. I wish to see you again."

"I will try." I doubted it would happen.

Handing me an envelope as we stepped through the gate, "Read this when you are in the air," he said as we bid each other farewell.

On the plane, Mei and I settled down for the journey. Once aloft I opened Wu's letter. There were a few monetary notes along with a hand written scribble. One line caught my attention.

'Take care of Mei Ling. She is my only daughter.'

I smiled, I will do that and one day we will return. You have my promise.

12