Protecting Marcus

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Myhands316
Myhands316
1,185 Followers

I don't know who she is, but she looks like an ancient warrior. A daughter of Otrera, one of the Amazons or maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me. It's her golden eyes that calmed me. She is so in control. I wish I could remember her name... I want to sleep... I want to forget!

***

I snapped awake as my door slowly opened. My eyes focused on the tall brown woman coming in. I saw the vision from my dreams and my chest tingled. Our eyes met and my stomach lurched. 'She's so beautiful... like finely sculpted Mahogany.' I held the golden eyes that soothed me the day before, and couldn't think of anything to say.

I could only remember being told that Marcus would be coming to see me soon. I know we exchanged information. I even realized I'd given a recorded statement, but other than that. All my brain translated to me was the captivating sight of the tall dark woman. She held me in thrall. My ears sang with her powerful voice. Such distinction came out in its contralto vibration. It soothed and made me wonder. I wondered how much of my reaction came from the medication they had me on.

Then my world was bright again. Marcus burst in, pulling his uncle behind him. "Be careful tiger... your mom's hurt bad, we have to be really gentle." Paul instructed Marcus, as little boy looked at his battered mother, reassuring himself that she was still alive.

"Mom... mommy... are you okay? I missed you; you didn't read me a story last night." Marcus said, trying to get closer.

"Hold him up to me please Paul." I begged.

"Anne will be here in a minute... I have to go to work. They have a security guard and another lady to help watch Marcus." Paul said, as he held his squirming nephew so I could hug him with my good arm.

"Did they let you take him home?" I asked, not wanting to let my son go.

"No, we had stay at a hotel..." He replied. "The boss doc wouldn't let him go home until she talked to the judge today." Paul said as he put down Marcus and sat him in a chair. "We can only come in for half hour shifts until you get a little bit better. Then they can move you to a regular room. They have a play area for the squirt, until we get the verdict." Paul shrugged at the inevitable

"How bad is it?" I asked, drinking in the sight of my precious son.

"Not good... Anne knows more." Paul said quietly. "She's getting briefed by the staff now. She can tell you more. You're listed in critical, but stable right now. Once you get downgraded to stable, they'll move you. You're busted up pretty bad sis... Well, I have to get going." Paul said as his wife came in with a short blonde.

I listened dispassionately to the list of my injuries and watched Marcus draw in a coloring book. My mind didn't register the words being said, until Anne mentioned Trish's name for the first time.

"So, that's her name...." I murmured. "Who is she?" I asked the plump blond that watched everything like a hawk.

"Trish Hafez, she's one of the administrators of the hospital. She's also an on-call social worker. She's one of the few of them, who actually know what it's like for us down in the trenches. She a good boss, not all the doctors would agree with me, but then that's to be expected." She smiled her sweet smile.

"Why is she on my case? I'm a nobody." I said, believing it.

"Just be glad she is.... I hate to do this, but I have to ask you some questions. I know you've probably answered most of them before, but still."

"It's okay... I know the drill. Ask what you need." I said resigned, as Anne looked on.

The next thirty minutes passed as we answered all the mandatory questions about me, Marcus, and our insurance. Anne told Sally that she would bring the forms so the payment options could be dealt with.

"Well, we can go over this later... You just sleep... We'll take care of everything." Shelly said, as she led Marcus and Anne out the door. I didn't think I had a choice about sleep, as the medicines took over and I dozed.

The sun was streaming in the wide window when I opened her eyes again. My stomach growled and my throat felt parched. I didn't know how long I slept and wondered why I didn't have to go to the restroom yet. I scanned the room until my eyes snapped to the tall woman standing, looking out the window.

"Hello" I tried, but it came out as a croak. The dark woman turned and our eyes met again.

"Hi Beth, I'm Trish remember... do you need anything?" Trish asked, as she walked over. "Let me get you some ice. I've been told that is all you can have. No liquids; so don't let it melt...." She held the cup next to my lips, letting me take a small bite.

I wanted to moan as the warm long fingered hand softly caressed my face. "I must look a sight." I said once the cold ice had moistened my throat.

"You're looking better..." She told me. "More good color and less bad... You have a bad case of bed head though. Pat will let you know when they can come in and clean you up a bit." Trish tried to reassure me.

"Who's Pat? What did the judge say?" I asked, getting to what I desperately needed to know.

"Pat's your doctor... Pat Martin" She sighed. "The judge decided to go with my recommendations. Your sister and brother-in-law will get temporary custody until you can take care of yourself. Shelly Wright is your assigned case manager. If you need anything, let her know, she'll see to everything. I'll tell your sister that they have to sign in every time they come and visit you. I can keep security on Marcus while he's here... When you're moved, we'll put him on the bracelet program. He'll have to be scanned in and out just like all of our Pedi-kids."

"Thank you... you don't know what this means to me." I sniffed back the tears that threatened to fall.

"My brother has kids, so I get the idea... So, my pretty green eyed lady, what can I do for you?" Trish asked with a big smile.

"I'm not pretty..." I would have blushed if my face wasn't so bruised.

"Sweetie, that's him, talking..." She tried to reassure me, even if at the time I didn't believe her.

"I'm beat all to hell, how could you know that this isn't an improvement? I asked sarcastically.

"I've seen your sister... The swelling is going down, and you'd have to be pretty to have such a gorgeous son. He's going to be a hunk when he gets older." Trish's eyes locked onto the hurt green eyes. "I meant for you... we have counseling and other services. I know sometimes it helps to talk about it."

"Are you social working me? If you are, please don't... I need a friend, not another worker. I've dealt with enough of them and I know I have more to come..." I broke eye contact and tried to shift into a more comfortable position.

"I'm sorry Beth..." Trish said as she approached the bed. "I guess it is part of who I am anymore." She helped move my pillow, seeing the big repaired gash on the side of Beth's head. "If a friend is what you need, then a friend's what I'll be... Just let me know when I start tripping in to the social worker area." Trish smiled down at me, making me feel warm inside.

"I'm sorry; I didn't mean to come off like some petulant bitch." I wanted to feel the warmth of Trish's hand against my face gain. It had been so long since anyone, other than Marcus, touched me in a good way.

"Sweetie, all women have a little bit of the bitch inside them..." She told me with a smile. "It comes natural when needed. Don't worry about it. At least you're not pissing and moaning about the care and food... I hear that on a daily basis."

"I bet... Don't mention food. The doctor said I couldn't eat for a week... By then cardboard will taste divine. All I get is ice...." I stammered to a stop when Trish incased my hand in between her soft, firm, warm, fingers.

"I can't promise anything, but I'll stop by when I can. I know it gets lonely staring at these four walls. We can get to know each other... it looks like neither one of us is going anywhere soon." Trish's pager went off and she sighed. "Well that's my cue... They're pulling on my chain... I'll see you later." Trish rubbed Beth's good hand before turning to leave the room.

Trish

Where in the hell does the time go? I know I could use the whole 'time flies when you're having fun' bullshit. But I can assure you Beth wasn't having fun. I made as much time as I could to spend with her. I even held her hand while she had to go through the painful process of getting bathed. I don't know what her body looked like. I kept my focus on her pain filled eyes. All I could do was hold her hand as they cleaned her wounds. It was humbling, I don't know if I could have survived it.

"Hold on... I'm here... not much longer... Look at me...." Was all I could say, helping her cope with the pain. A week later, they moved her into a semi-private room. I would spend half of my lunch helping her eat once they removed the drains. Being left handed helped, but still to be that helpless, makes you think.

I spent time with Anne and Marcus as well. There, I was more of a resource. Marcus wasn't one to open up easily and I couldn't blame him. Shelly kept me apprised of what was happening with the case and the nursing staff doted on the boy. Beth cried the first time Marcus could lie on the bed with her so she could hold him.

Yes, I pulled some strings so she would be able to move into our rehab center. It was the only time I've ever did anything like that. Oh, I still had to prepare myself every time I went into her room, but I was trying to be the friend she needed.

I was right... once all the swelling and bruising healed, Beth is stunning. Her red hair tended to curl, framing her round, perfectly proportioned face. Her nose wasn't straight, but under those enchanting eyes, it didn't detract from her overall beauty. Yes, the attraction stayed with me, but the budding friendship took precedence.

It was the day they took off her cast, when Marcus decided to sit in my lap the first time. He was so very brave about it. He saw the big cutting tool and climbed right up. My heart wasn't ready for the feeling of that much innocent trust. Anne and Beth just smiled at me.

The first thing I noticed while looking down, the contrast of my dark brown to his light pink skin. My heart thudded when he wrapped my neck in a hug as the machine came on. When his soft pink lips touched mine for that brief millisecond, I fell in love.

As soon as the cast was off, and the mess cleaned up, he bounded out of my arms and into his mother's for a fierce hug. There wasn't enough tissue to go around.

"Trish, why don't you come over to the house this weekend?" Anne asked surprising me as Beth and Marcus rocked together.

"I... um, I don't know..." I stammered. "I don't know..." I looked at Beth to see her reaction.

"Go ahead... you can help them get my room ready...." She grinned at my hesitation. "Just bring me back some of Paul's famous barbeque. If you really care, you'd sneak me in a plate..." She smiled her first real smile.

"Well if it's that good I'd have to bring enough for the whole ward..." I laughed, teasing them. I wasn't taking much of this seriously. I figured they were making a gesture for politeness sake.

"Do you think one rack of ribs would be enough, or do you think two?" Anne answered seriously. "I tell you what... you spring for the corn and biscuits, and it's a deal...."

"But... I...." Were they kidding?

"Yeah Trish; You've done so much for us... Paul gets it by the box. Say yes." Beth added in her soft voice. If that woman ever learned what that voice did to me... I'd be a goner.

"Yeah, Ms. Tish, I could show you my room." Marcus piped up innocently from his mother's arm, and I was done.

"Okay.... What time?" I asked, capitulating.

"Oh, any time after noon, unless you want to help... then whenever you can show up. Paul usually cranks up the grill about seven thirty." Anne said smiling, letting me know she was joking about the helping. Saved by the pager... I had to get back to work.

"Well, I'll let you know... I have to get back to my office. My poor assistant David probably thinks I've deserted him again." I stroked Beth's face, pushing a stray strand of hair behind her ear, before leaning down to give Marcus a quick kiss on the forehead and headed out the door. I took some good natured ribbing from David when I returned to my office, and returned it in kind.

"So tell me about this secret lover I keep covering you for?" He asked as I walked in.

"As if... I wish...! I was just visiting Beth Williams and her son...."

"If you gave all our patients' that kind of attention, we'd be millionaires. Here I was hoping for some tall dark handsome guy I could steal from you." He smiled.

Yes, he's gay. He was also very attached. But, that didn't stop the teasing banter. I think that is what made us such a good team. He was also a damn good assistant. "Well, if you're gone much more, I'll just have to move into your office." He added as he handed me the stack of messages.

"Keep dreaming buddy..." I told him sarcastically. "You couldn't do my job. Some days I don't think I can do my job. What's on the agenda?" I said, getting us back to the grindstone.

***

The week passed and I worked hard to get everything done... well there's always something waiting for me on my desk. But still, I wasn't behind, which for me, meant I was ahead of the game. I ordered a bushel of corn and a flat of rolls from the closest deli and had them delivered to Anne and Paul's house. I told them it was for a party, and they took my order and my card information without hesitation.

I was nervous going over to Anne and Paul's house. I didn't know how to dress. Was this a semi-formal thing or a casual affair? I settled for a deep maroon silk shell tucked in to pleated shorts, with leather flats. Following the direction from my GPS, I arrived and wondered if I was over dressed. Most of the people I saw were dressed in jeans with T-shirts, halters or tank tops.

I rubbed my hands on my shorts as I knocked on the door. I jumped when a guy called out from behind me. "If you here for the party, you can just go around back..." He smiled as he did exactly that.

"Um thanks..." The door opened and Anne greeted me. "Hi, I'm here." Like I said, I was nervous....

"Hi Trish... come in.... Welcome to chaos. Paul is already grilling the ribs. Thanks for the corn and rolls... Um, did you mean to send that much corn?" She asked as she led me into the kitchen where I saw boxes of corn everywhere.

I have to say in my own defense, I didn't know how big a bushel was. I guess I fed the whole block corn for the next week. Hey, I'm not a cook. I eat out or take home. My stove top holds my printer, so I can print stuff out while I eat at the bar. The only home cooked meals I get, is when I visit my brother. The deli didn't say anything and I don't even remember how much I spent.

"Sorry, I just ordered what I thought would be enough. I thought they called one of those boxes, a bushel..." Anne laughed at me and offered me a drink.

"What would you like to drink? We have beer, soda and ice tea. You might want to get it now, because once Marcus sees you, he'll want all your attention. That and with so many single guys here today, you're going to be very popular. You could have brought a date... We didn't think you were married.... No rings." She pointed at my finger.

"Only to my job, and I don't want to think about that right now." I smiled, internally groaning at the prospect of being hit on by all the males in attendance. "Thanks for inviting me. Saved me from being mugged by my nieces' and nephews'..." Marcus came running in, calling for me.

"Ms. Tish.... Ms. Tish; you're here... Come see!" Anne had time to thrust a glass of tea into my hand as Marcus pulled me toward his room in the back of the house. When we got there, I swallowed a lump when I saw a stick figure drawing of what had to be me, with big angel wings with his mom in the hospital.

"He worked so hard on that one." Anne said behind me. "You've made quite an impression on him. His teacher called and asked who his new friend, Ms. Tish, is. He's been talking about you, a lot."

"I hope only good things. We didn't meet under the best of circumstances."

"Yeah, he and Beth can say enough good things about you. Paul even likes you and that's saying something. As you can tell he isn't into people who work for the government...."

"Most of the ex-military guys don't... do you have kids of your own?" I asked wondering why I hadn't asked that before.

"Not yet..." She showed me the room next to Marcus's. "This is going to be the nursery once Beth is back on her feet. If it takes longer than that... the baby can stay in our room for awhile..." I watched as she rubbed her stomach protectively.

"Oh, wow... Um, how far along...?" I never really knew how to handle these announcements.

"That's what the party is for... we just found out." Anne smiled. "Paul is over the moon." She smiled contently

"Congratulations.... "I would have said more but Marcus had other plans. It is amazing what happens when you become a little child's personal play friend. Oh, I knew what was required. I've spent enough time at Alonzo's house with is kids. With Marcus, at least I had to only deal with one at a time.

The afternoon was pleasant and I left before any of the guests could make fools of themselves, while drinking their beer and acting manly for my benefit. I'm sure their egos would be wounded if they knew that I was in no way inclined to accept any of the hinted at dates they offered. I helped Anne get the stuff ready to take to the hospital as we nibbled in the kitchen. I took the box of prepared food with me to Beth's ward, keeping the best bits for her as it was passed out.

"Hey Sweetie," I announced as I pushed open her door. "I've got your contraband... I hope you're hungry." I told her, as I put her heaping plate on her tray so she could eat. Her face lit up at the sound of my voice.

"Oh, thank you..." She sniffed deeply. "Real food... Not that I'm complaining." She said as I put the tray in front of her, unwrapping the corn and rolls.

"Don't worry about it, you'll be out of here in a week or so..." I was going for reassuring, but she clouded up anyway.

"I know... you've been great... but I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't go back to my job... he knows where it is. I can't sponge off Anne and Paul... did she tell you they're expecting? I don't know what to do...?" She turned away from me, trying to pull it in.

"What did you do... for a living?" I asked, trying to see if I could help in any way. I knew her burdens were legion, but I didn't want her to get overwhelmed by them.

"I used to be a teacher. But now I do mainly office work... whatever I can find..." She shrugged.

"Why not go back to teaching?" I sat next to her, brushing the stray strand of hair out of her face.

"Maybe someday when we're safe again... But for right now, I have to try and make ends meet. I don't know what going to happen with the bills from here. He's drained all my accounts and savings. I had some bonds in my name, but I think he sold those too. Paul has put all my stuff in storage and turned in the key to my apartment. I couldn't pay for it anyway. I'm surprised they haven't canceled my insurance." I didn't tell her that they had tried, but I wouldn't let them.

"Honey, it will all work out. I've been doing this for a long time... it always works out one way or another. I'll help if I can." Even though it cost me, I sat there and held her hand as she purged her fears.

"Oh, listen to me, playing the poor me card. My mother would be furious." She wiped her eyes and picked up some of the delicious food.

"Well, you do have a bit on your plate right now.... Speaking of which, you need to eat some of this great food I brought." I picked up a rib and took a big bite.

Myhands316
Myhands316
1,185 Followers