Quarterback Sneak Ch. 08

Story Info
Alceo makes a bold move.
8.7k words
4.79
62.9k
179

Part 8 of the 8 part series

Updated 10/28/2022
Created 12/25/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
HotSprings22
HotSprings22
1,169 Followers

The drive home had taken forever. One thing she had done right in the last few days, was to go to campus security and have them pry open her car door. After the party, she had run back to the dorm she had shared with Jasmine grabbed her spare key, a change of clothes, and headed for her car. As she drove, the frigid night air tangling her curls, Galynn liked to believe that she was doing the right thing. At least it was fun while it lasted.

Pulling into her familiar neighborhood, and into her parent's familiar driveway, Galynn could finally breathe a sigh of relief. She hadn't been home in a while, partly because she had nothing to say to her mother, and partly because she just didn't want to. Her relationship with her mother was tenuous at best, but she did miss her father. For a long time, her weekly calls with her father had been the only thing to get her through her lonely nights on campus. She was the first one of her family to go to college, and she never wanted to let them know how hard it was for her.

When she slipped her key into the front door, and stepped into the living room with one small bag on her shoulder her father's voice greeted her.

"It's about time."

Her father was a big man. Six foot even, but his presence always seemed much larger than that. As a girl she could remember being terrified of his booming voice. Strangely enough, it was a voice that he never raised toward her. He was like a gentle giant, until you pissed him off.

"Hey Pops," Galynn said with a smile in her voice. "Isn't past your bedtime?"

Her father laughed. "Of course it's past my bedtime. If you didn't drive so slow, I would be asleep by now."

Galynn dropped her things at the door and moved into the living room to give her father a hug. He stood when she got closer, and his arms enveloped her.

"Is everything all right?"

Alan shook her head into her father's chest. "No daddy it's not. Where's mommy?"

She's upstairs.

"I was surprised when she answered the phone."

"She still surprises me too, kiddo."

Her father flopped down on the couch, and patted the cushion next to him. "Tell me what's wrong, so we can get this all sorted out. I'm sure you have classes tomorrow, don't you?"

"Dad, it's almost four in the morning. I think this can wait until tomorrow." Galynn loved her father with all her heart, but sometimes she could do without his directness.

"So, what do I care? I've got nothing to do tomorrow." Her father had been retired for the better part of ten years already. To say that he missed working would be a lie, but while Galynn was still home, he filled his days keeping up with her. Now that she was out of the house, he had nothing to do but his crossword puzzles and go for breakfast with the guys. "Let me have it, I'm sure it's not as bad as you think."

"It's about a boy."

"Isn't it always?" He said with a grin. "What happened?"

"I thought that he really liked me, and it turns out that he didn't." Galynn stared at her hands. When her father didn't say anything, she looked up. He had a warm smile on his face. "Don't look at me like that, I thought it was for real. Like the stuff movies and happily ever afters are made of."

"Honey," he said as he patted her knee. "Do you remember Jacob Mills?"

Galynn nodded her head. How could she forget? She was four when she met Jacob. She was convinced that they were going to get married and have babies and do nothing but kiss all day. She smiled at the memory.

"Remember how, at the tender age of four and a half, you found him behind your play house in the back yard kissing Melissa George from down the street?" Galynn laughed and nodded her head again. "Remember how you thought the world was going to end?"

"Yea, until you told me to go kick him. That made me feel much better." Galynn and her father sat on the couch at four in the morning laughing at the memory.

"Exactly." Her father let out a heavy sigh. "The idea of happily ever after changes as you get older. When you were four, it was kissing Jacob. When I was younger, it was nice cars and a big house and a beautiful wife who I could share my life with. It was to be happy. As I got older, I had to adjust my ideas a little bit and be happy with the hand I was dealt and the choices I made."

It was no secret her parents weren't happy in their marriage. Neither of them spoke of it, but everyone knew, even her mothers pet bird. It was pretty obvious. "My point is, if you love this guy, or think you love him, then give him some time. Guys are assholes. We don't know what we're doing. We tend to think with our dicks. If he can't figure out that he's an asshole and apologize, then fuck him. You don't need that. Trust me. If I had listened to my father and realized that your mother was too much of an asshole to admit when she's wrong, I could have saved myself and you a lot of heartache."

"But I'm your favorite, most expensive mistake aren't I?" Her father laughed and ruffled her hair.

"You know it kid. Now, go upstairs and tell your mother you're here."

"Dad," Galynn whined.

"Go, you know it's the right thing to do. Even if she won't remember it in the morning. I love you. Now go."

Galynn kissed her father on the cheek and trudged up the stairs and he disappeared into the basement. Her parents hadn't slept in the same room in over three years. It still pained her to see her father suffering like this. He loved her mother; she just didn't have the capacity to love him back. She only had room in her life for one love, and that was the bottle.

Galynn stood outside the door to her mother's room and sighed. She hated talking to her mother, but her father was right. Just because her mother couldn't get her shit together didn't mean that she had to be a shitty daughter.

Galynn was thirteen when her mother let the story slip. She had met her father through a mutual friend. He had a nice car, looked good, and had an excellent job. Her mother hooked him with an unplanned pregnancy. Never one to run away from his responsibilities, her father did the only respectable thing he could do. He married her and made sure that his baby girl never wanted for anything. It always saddened Galynn to think about where she would be without her father constantly looking after her. He went to the PTA meetings, he went to her basketball games, and drove her around when she was younger. Her mother was never around.

"Mom?" Galynn said as she cracked the door. The smell of liquor hit her hard. She tried not to scrunch up her nose at the smell. "Mom, I'm home. I'm going to bed."

"What time is it?" Her mother was slumped over in the bed.

"About 4:15 in the morning."

"You're not pregnant are you? Is that why you came home?"

"No, it's not. I'm not pregnant."

"Good," her mother said squinting at her through the darkness. "You still need to loose weight."

"Yep. Working on it."

Her mother's words rarely had any effect on her anymore, but tonight they brought tears to her eyes. "Good night, mom."

--

The next few mornings progressed as she expected. Her father woke up at an ungodly hour to make coffee and fix himself breakfast, and her mother remained shut in her room. It was Saturday today, and it was a ritual for Galynn and her father to plant themselves in front of the television for college sports day, and of course, it was time for football.

"You're school must be going nuts, 'Lynn." Her father commented as he motioned toward the television. The Celt football team was coming out of the tunnel.

"Yep, everyone is in love with the Celts," she responded dryly.

"Why shouldn't they be? They've got that kid Will, who is a monster. Have you seen the way that kid runs through defenders? And Russell, he puts the ball exactly where it needs to be. It's amazing. Good hands, good eyes."

Good hands is right.

Galynn smiled and nodded. She promised herself she wouldn't spend this time at her parent's house moping and thinking about Alceo. She tried, she really, really did, but this was just cruel. She couldn't tell her father she didn't want to watch his favorite football team play; he would know something was up. So, Galynn would just have to sit, grin and bear it.

She disappeared into the kitchen to grab her and her father a beer. Luckily, her mother didn't drink beer, so there were still a few left in the fridge from the last time Galynn visited home. If she'd be forced to watch Alceo, she could at least be drunk for it.

Let the games begin.

--

Alceo didn't want to be here. This was the last game of the regular season. It wouldn't matter one way or the other if they lost the game. The fans were cheering and his team was pumped, but he just couldn't get himself there.

After Galynn left him standing alone in that bedroom, he gave her a few minutes then walked out to find her. He never did. He never should have waited. As soon as she walked away, he should have made her stay, and made her listen to him. Now it was too late. No one had seen her, no one had heard from her. It was as if she just disappeared.

Will sensed something was wrong and told him that she had used his cell phone to call someone before she left the party. It had to be her family, right? Alceo didn't have the guts to call the number.

He showed Will the picture Jasmine had given to Galynn and Will smiled -- he had a good time that night too, but Will confirmed what he had been trying to tell Galynn. The picture was taken about eight months ago, and to his surprise, Will pointed out that the lockers and the locker room walls were a completely different color than they are now. They painted the locker room more than three months ago.

"C'mon man, get your head in the game." Alceo hadn't even realized Will was standing next to him.

"I miss her," Alceo responded as he pulled on his helmet. I didn't think it would be this bad, but I really miss her, man."

"Yea well, think about it after we win." Alceo nodded his head and took the field.

He had to do something drastic.

--

Galynn couldn't watch, and her father was going insane on the couch next to her. The first half had been murder. Never, had Galynn, or her father for that matter seen anything so terrible. Alceo had three interceptions, two fumbles, a safety, and two sacks because he wasn't scrambling in the pocket. She felt herself cringing whenever Alceo got the ball. Luckily, it was half time and both her and her father could take a breather. Her father was red in the face from shouting at the television, and Galynn was thoroughly drunk.

As the players were filing off the field, Heather Cox, an ESPN correspondent, grabbed Alceo. Galynn watched as Alceo had to stoop to hear the reporter's questions.

"Alceo, what's happening out there? Two fumbles, three interceptions, a safety and two sacks; your team is down by twenty-eight at the half. That's never been seen before for this team what do you see is the problem?"

"The problem, Heather, is that I've got somebody on my mind, and its messing with my game."

Galynn's ears perked up.

"Well, okay." Clearly the seasoned analyst had never had anyone admit this to her before, and she wasn't sure what to do.

"Who is it? Is it a loved one? Is a family member sick?"

He smiled, and ran his fingers through his hair. Galynn could tell by the look on his face that he was trying to decide something. God, he looked good.

"Hey, do you have a cell phone on you?"

Heather was taken aback. "Uh, yea."

"Can I use it? Its important." Heather looked at the camera for a split second trying to decide if she should. After another second, and Alceo looking at her expectantly, she fished the phone from her pocket and handed it to him.

"Well, this is unprecedented."

Alceo looked at his arm, read something from the play card on his wrist, then began dialing a number.

"Who are you calling?" Heather shoved her mic into Alceo's face. He shushed her. Galynn couldn't help but laugh.

Who could he be calling? Galynn had never seen anything like this either, and was glued to the television just like her father.

The house phone began to ring as she cracked open another beer. He was probably calling Jasmine to propose. Well good, she could have him. Heather Cox was talking into the camera trying to explain to anyone that was listening that Alceo Russell had her cell phone and was making a call. She didn't know whom he was calling, but based on what he was saying, someone must have answered the phone.

"Lynn, its for you." Her father handed her the phone, while not taking his eyes from the television screen.

"Who is it?" No one called her here. No one had the number. He father said nothing as she took the phone from him. "Hello?"

"Hey." She knew who it was. Her stomach tightened and her heart caught in her throat. She turned back toward the television and watched as a smile spread across Alceo's face just for her.

"Hey." A second before she got her hopes up, she snapped back to reality. This was Alceo and he was calling her during a game. This was the same guy that had gotten head from Jasmine in the locker room after spending the morning with her. This was Alceo Russell. "Why are you calling me?"

She watched as he hesitated a second before beginning. "I'm sorry. You told me the girl was nuts, and I didn't listen. I promise you that I didn't do the things you think I did -- when you think I did them. I swear, and I can prove it. I miss you. It's not the same without you here. Tell me you'll give me another chance."

Galynn wanted to believe. I mean really, who would call during a nationally televised football game? This had to count for something didn't it?

"OK." She was at a loss for words.

"OK? That's it? Will you come back to me? I will call you every morning and every night until you do. I will make it up to you, I promise. I will prove it to you."

Galynn could feel her father's eyes boring into her as he listened along with the whole world as Alceo spoke to her on the phone.

"OK." She truly didn't know what else to say.

"Thanks, baby. I've got a game to win."

"Try to hold onto the ball this time," she said with a smile in her voice.

Alceo stared into the camera for another beat before hanging up the phone and handing it back to Heather. "Thanks, Heather," he shouted as he started to jog towards the locker room with a big goofy grin plastered on his face.

Galynn hung up the phone and watched open-mouthed as Heather fired questions at Alceo as she jogged after him. "Who was that? What's her name? What is it you were supposed to have done? How will this change your game plan for today?"

Alceo ignored her as he winked one last time at the camera then disappeared into the tunnel.

"The reason you came home, that boy...what did you say his name was?" Her father was staring at her.

"Dad, don't look at me like that."

Her father looked back at the television then back at Galynn. "Seriously? Wow kid. The star quarterback." He clapped her hard on the shoulder. "Holy shit." He rose from the couch and walked into the kitchen with a huge grin on his face.

--

The rest of the game passed in a blur. Coach was beyond pissed at him for being late to the halftime strategy meeting. Alceo knew it was his fault and didn't try to place the blame anywhere else. He promised his coach his head was in the game now. He apologized to his team and told them how they were going to win.

The game progressed as Alceo had said it would. When the team emerged from the tunnel again at the end of half-time, Heather and a slew of other reporters tried to stop him to talk more about his phone call, but he would just smile and tell them that he had a game to win.

"I don't know what you did, bro, but I'm glad you did it," Will said to him when they were back in the huddle.

"I called her."

"What? I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you with your mouth guard in."

"You heard me," Alceo said after spitting his mouthpiece into his hand. "I called her. I wrote down the number you gave me," Alceo pointed to the play card on his wrist and smiled.

"Wow. The balls on you, dude." The other guys in the huddle were shocked.

Alceo smiled. "Let's have some fun."

His team didn't hold the first half against him. It was hard, but they managed to do it. Without having to worry about Galynn, Alceo was able to focus and do what he did best. He just wished she had been here to see it in person. He threw two touchdowns to a couple of freshmen, ran one in and handed the ball off to Will for another. Seventy-three rushing yards for the guy on that one touchdown- things had definitely turned around.

What he hadn't expected was how many reporters would be trying to get ahold of him after the game. Not only had they finished the season with an amazing record, but they were off to the Daisy Bowl. Then the NFL Draft. But first, he had to get through all the questions and hopefully see Galynn.

He smiled sweetly at Heather when she tried to corner him on his way back to the locker room. It was impossible to hear her because the roar of the crowd was so loud. She tried to keep up with his long strides as he headed off the field.

"So, Alceo, how does it feel to have just come back from a twenty-eight deficit and win the big game for your team?"

"It feels amazing."

"Who is it that you called? Was that some motivation for you to get your head back in the game?"

"It sure was, Heather." He winked at her and picked up his pace. The security guards stopped her from entering the tunnel.

He wished he could have remembered the second half of the game, but really it passed too quickly, but he had gotten the job done nonetheless.

The locker room exploded when he walked in. Coach tried to hand him the game ball, but he waived it off. He tossed it to Will. He deserved it.

"Alceo, I don't know what's gotten into you, but don't let it happen again." His coach was a big bear of a man. For half a second, Alceo was terrified, until his coach cracked a smile. "I hope she was worth it."

"Definitely."

Coach clapped him on the back and smirked. "I hope so. You are never going to hear the end of this. What were you thinking?"

"That I had to do something drastic."

"You got balls kid. Next time sort all this shit out before kick-off, OK?"

"Yes sir." His coach nodded and walked away.

After the adrenaline rush left him, Alceo was exhausted and all he wanted to do was go back to his room and hit the sack. Unfortunately, the aches in his body wouldn't let him, and neither would the press. After every nationally televised game they had to hold a press conference. Trying to put it off as long as he could, he spent an hour in the ice bath and another twenty minutes on the table with the therapist working his shoulder, wrist and back.

Relaxed, but exhausted, his shuffled into the shower. He wasn't in there as long as he would have liked, but he got the job done. The team manager was rushing him out, trying to get him to the press conference on time. Alceo changed his clothes and popped a couple of dry ice blocks into his bags.

He pulled his Celt hat a little lower on his head and stepped into the Press Room. He waited until he was seated in front of the mic to pay any of the reporters any attention.

"How does this win feel for your team?" Someone shouted out.

"It feels great. Granted, it could have been a little neater, but hey, a win is a win." He knew the drill by now, even though he hated all the stupid and redundant questions.

"You're next stop is the Daisy Bowl. With a win there, you will most certainly be a shoe in for the Heisman. How does it feel?"

"Honestly, I haven't thought about it. It's all about taking it one game at a time. After the Daisy Bowl is over, then I think about other things."

HotSprings22
HotSprings22
1,169 Followers