Quincunx Ch. 30

Story Info
Denouement.
7.1k words
4.65
8.6k
14

Part 30 of the 30 part series

Updated 10/08/2022
Created 01/31/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Quincunx 30

Chapter 15.

Denouement

I should like to thank my Editor, Kira, For the excellent job she's done.

I awoke with the sun. Turning to Xen sleeping beside me, I propped myself up on one elbow. "Hey, time to get up," I said as I shook her shoulder.

"Mm," she groaned as she stirred.

"Come on," I encouraged her, "you can hop straight into your own bed."

"Mm," she sighed as she twisted on the bed to look at me.

"Oh, we have a meeting with councilman Blundlin; he's kindly offered to pick us up and show us the houses I picked out personally."

"What are they like?" she asked, getting excited.

"One with four family bedrooms and two servants while the other has two extra guest bedrooms and four servant rooms," I replied, smiling.

"Oh, what district?" she asked sitting up

"I don't know, you can ask Blundlin when we pick you up."

"The six bed one sounds big enough to have stables as well," she said reflectively.

"Ah ha, that's something else you can ask," I acknowledged.

"These things are important," she faux protested.

"Let's get a roof over our heads, we can always move on if something better comes on the market later," I said, sitting up. "Meanwhile I'll conjure up an eye and scout your bedroom while you get dressed."

She leant over and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. "I can't wait," and then twisted her legs over the side of the bed to stand up.

I reluctantly took my eyes from her semi-nude figure and focused on creating my eye and directing it to her bedroom. It was empty, the candle guttered in its holder and the bed still folded down.

"All clear," I announced, leaving the eye focused on the door.

I rolled and slipped my legs over the side to sit on the edge. Xen was straightening her nightie as she watched and waited. I let the symbols form in my mind and the hole opened up in front of me.

She came over, bending over when she got to me and guided her lips to mine as she wrapped her hands around the back of my head. "Let's hope it never stops being this wonderful," she said softly, looking me in the eye after she broke the kiss.

With that, she turned and stepped through the hole. She turned and waved at me and I waved back as I let the hole collapse. It was probably a little early for most clients but I wondered if they were serving breakfast yet.

Getting dressed, I ventured downstairs, confident that my gold was safe, and was delighted that an early breakfast was available. After breakfast, I spent time in the bar, drinking a second cup of cofftea.

At first I was alone, but after about a quarter of an hour one or two others started to drift in. Two sat near enough for me to overhear them talking about trading being affected by the uncertainty over the Far Isles.

I wouldn't be surprised if the council was being driven by the merchants anxious for normality to be restored. A thorn in their side they'd be eager to be rid of. I could only hope they acted wisely.

Councilman Blundlin appeared an hour after I'd finished breakfast, coming in personally to find me. I stood and walked over to him, seeing a smile grow on his face as I caught his eye.

"Good morning to you," he greeted me. "If you're ready, we'll be off."

"Ready as I'll ever be," I replied.

At that, he turned and started for the door just behind him. He paused outside for me to draw alongside before making small talk about the weather on the way to the carriage.

I sat opposite him, facing backwards.

"So what do you think of our country?" he asked.

"I've only the university to go on," I answered, "so I can't give you a considered opinion. It appears to be well-governed and law-abiding. Ask me again in ten years and I'll expand on that."

He chuckled.

"I heard a conversation while waiting for you. It seems the merchants are uneasy over the Far Isles situation, complaining it's affecting trade," I remarked.

"I've heard whispers too, nothing's sailing out from the mainland, cargos sitting on docks. I wish something could be done," he replied with a sigh.

"Even now the right people are looking for a solution; they need to know the nature of the weapon to devise a way to counter it. At the moment, life seems normal on the island with ships loading and unloading in the docks," I said.

"Tell that to the ship owners and captains, they're worried that the ships might be commandeered to transport an invading army."

"That would be pointless; a couple of air and water spells and the ships are lost. If that's all they're worried about, then the council should be able to allay their fears."

"Telling them you'd destroy their ships would make you popular; personally I'm giving it a week before the loss of profit sees the resumption of sailings with a negotiated hazard premium," he replied.

"Ah, an equitable solution; put the price up and no doubt pass the cost on."

"Only for the duration, that's why it's essential to get a quick resolution."

"Mm, there's a few more factors than that, but I'll grant you it's a concern. The best solution would be for the merchants to buy their own ships and assume more of the risk."

"That advice I might pass on," he said as he settled back.

When we began the climb, I took time to admire the view. Though we lived near the edge of the mountains, there were few hills and none could rival the view I was getting here.

We remained silent until we were pulling up in front of Xen's door. "Do you want to see if she's ready?" he asked, leaning forward.

"She should be," I replied, rising from my seat. "She's expecting to ride out with me."

I knocked and was delighted when, after a few moments, Xen opened the door.

"Ready?" I asked

"Let me tell mother I'm off," she replied, turning from the open door and hurrying off.

She was gone a few moments before rushing back. "Done," she announced breathlessly.

Stepping out, she shut the door and looped her arm through mine.

"I'm so excited," she said, giving my arm a squeeze as we walked to the carriage. "Our first house, I can't wait to move in."

Her excitement infected me; the thought of us living together, sharing our lives and a double bed, was making my prodder twitch.

"Good morning, councillor," Blundlin greeted Xen as we got to the carriage door.

"Greetings," she replied, before I helped her into the carriage.

As I climbed in Xen asked. "Where are the houses situated?"

"Everthorn and Trollywood," he replied.

While he and Xen talked about the houses, I sat back and let my mind wander. At Xen's request, we went to look at the six-bedroom house in Trollywood first. I listened in as we toured the house.

It came fully furnished, with the last cook/house keeper still in residence as the caretaker. I knew we had no need to see the other as soon as Xen saw the master bedroom. That it had a four horse stables and an old carriage in its own shed sealed the deal.

"Do we need to see the other?" I asked, as we descended the stairs.

"No, this one's perfect. It could do with a few changes in the décor and furnishings but other than that it's just what we need."

"Fine," I said, glancing over my shoulder at Blunglin I continued, "We should head back to my hotel, my money's there."

He nodded and I turned back to Xen. "We can make any changes you want after we've moved in," I said.

"Yes, though the bedroom is first, that bed is hideous," she replied.

I waited till we got into the carriage before asking Blundlin, "How much are you asking?"

"The estate has put a value of seven hundred gold on it. You can haggle with them, but that will add weeks with negotiations," he replied.

"Then seven hundred it will be," I declared.

Xen's smile and sharp intake of breath marked her delight. She sat cuddled up to me, sighing, on the trip to my hotel. I decided to invite them all up and then had them help as Xen and I counted out three hundred in stacks of tens on the floor.

While Xen stayed in the room, I helped Blundlin carry the box down to his carriage. Xen was sitting on the bed when I returned, a handful of coins in her lap.

"I think we should hire more servants first, then when the stables are organised we can buy horses. I'm afraid mother is the best to advise me on these things, but I will remind her that I'm the mistress of the house," she said as I crossed to her.

"Tell you what; I've hired the cart again for today. If I go collect it, we can drive up to your house. If you show me where Gulic lives on the way, I can drop you and ride back down to visit with him," I said as I sat next to her.

"Okay, that sounds like a plan. Do you want to come back up after? Have a bit of lunch if you're in time?" she asked.

"Yes, I only want to see if they have anything more on the cruciform," I replied. "I'll be a while getting the cart," I continued, leaning over intending to plant a kiss on her cheek.

Her lips met mine as her hand looped around the back of my head. After a few moments of joy, I forced myself back. "I'll be as quick as I can," I promised, rising.

I was quicker than I thought I'd be, as the horse was waiting patiently in its traces. I spoke to the stable boy about the availability of horses, mentioning I was looking for two riding animals as a starter.

He told me about a weekly sale held in three days in the farmer's market. But for real choice, I should visit the mainland. I thanked him and tipped him a copper before riding off.

Xen was lying on the bed when I returned this time.

"What are we doing with the money?" she asked, sitting up.

"I was thinking of crating another box and leaving it bound in that," I replied, walking over.

"I was thinking, if we took it to my house I could use it to order the bed and furnishings."

"If you want. I had a chat with the stable boy, and he reckons that we'd pick up better horses on the mainland," I replied, sitting on the bed.

"Yes," she acknowledged, "the prices are better too, but it's a three day expedition with a lot of organising."

"I think I might find a few short cuts, especially if we have the privacy of our own home. In fact," I said, blurting the thought as it occurred to me, "we could use it as an excuse to visit my home, get our stableman to buy a pair for us. And maybe a suitable two-horse carriage."

"Yes, I'd enjoy meeting your parents, but I think we should have the coach tidied up and use it."

"We can discuss that later. Now I'd better create a strong bag to carry this gold in," turning my attention to the coins.

I thought up a strong potato sack and slipped down to my knees to scoop the coins into the sack, while behind me Xen slipped off the bed and bent to help with the last few. I straightened up and hefted it over my shoulder and led the way to the cart.

She talked to me about furnishings on the journey to Gulic's house, while I nodded and gave bland replies. It was also in Trollywood, so the road out was mainly the road Blundlin had used.

"Won't it be hard to hide your powers if you battle the rogues?" she asked as she pointed it out.

"I think I can get away explaining it by my talent for neutralising spells, if I have to I have to. I'll only go the extra if it looks like they will defeat the council."

"If you do, both Swapswisle and I will have to claim ignorance."

"That's a secret I think we can all keep," I acknowledged.

She let the conversation lapse there and I went back over our route in my mind as the horse plodded along. As we hit the open track, she closed up and slipped her arm around me to cuddle up.

I carried the gold up to her bedroom. "My first official visit," I remarked as I put the sack down on the bed.

"It won't be long till I leave this behind and start a new chapter out of the shadow of the place."

"I'll leave the sack, a test of how long I can keep focus on its existence," I said. "Now I've got to love you and leave you if I'm to have a chance of making lunch."

"Alright," she said, turning back to the door.

She walked me back out to the cart were we had a hug and kiss before she waved me off. I considered my approach to Gulic on the way down; I would emphasise my speciality power of neutralising spells and seeing entrapments to start with.

I was probably best referring him to Professor Heen'll, if he wanted to know more. Then would be the time to press him for more information on the cruciform, I was going to suggest that he contact Brother Swapswisle and find out his thoughts on the matter.

With my plans thought out, I carried happily on enjoying the day till I got to his house. Tying up the cart outside, I was in a good mood when I sauntered up the path. Knocking on the door, I waited.

"Yes," the maid asked when she opened it.

"I'm Davor, a wizard friend of Xen. I met Gulic at yesterday's council meeting and I've a few matters I'd like to discuss with him," I explained.

"You'd better step in then," she said, stepping back and widening the door.

"If you'll wait, I'll go and tell him you're here," she said, closing the door behind me.

I looked around as she hurried off. There was the usual selection of paintings adorning the walls along with a couple of fashionably carved wooden high-backed chairs against one wall.

"Come through," she called from a door to the side, "He'll see you in his study."

I walked over to her and she led me down a short corridor and knocked on a door at the end.

"Come," a voice shouted.

The maid moved to the side as I ventured forward and opened the door. It was a candlelit windowless room. He sat behind a desk piled high with papers. "Sit down, sit down," he said rising. "Now what can I do for you?"

"I have rather unique powers; I am more of an anti wizard in that I can recognise and negate spells. I can also see the auras of wizards and gauge their power by the glow. If you talk to Professor Heen'll she can explain."

"Hmm, so if I cast a spell you can stop it without a counter spell?" he queried.

"Yes, if you want cast one and I'll prove it," I responded pleasantly.

"No no, it just took a moment to grasp the logic. Your anti description is an apt one. I can see how your talent would be useful in our current situation," he replied, musing.

"Yes, though it would be a minor part. I would like to know if there is any more news on the weapon. Is there any conformation on it being a copy of the cruciform?" I asked.

"Yes, though it isn't what we thought. It's an amplifier; it joins all their magical powers together and gives them the power almost equal to a masters. It's going to take the concerted efforts of the council and a few extras to battle them," he explained.

"Ah, so there is a plan forming. I'll be glad to be of assistance if I can be."

"I'll pass that on to Heen'll, I'm sure she'll be in touch. Is there anything else?"

"No, not really, thank you for your time," I replied. "You can reach me at the Grandee Inn or through Xen; we'll be marrying and moving in together shortly."

"No, thank you for offering you services. I'm certain we'll find a role for you," he replied rising.

I rose myself and made my exit. Within minutes, I was on my way back to Xen and wondering what plans she and her mother had made. Xen answered the door to me and after a greeting hug, led me through to the sitting room where her mother and Herisk were sitting.

"Mother says it was old Hencob's place," Xen said as she directed me to my seat.

"It sounds worth the seven hundred you paid," Seanne chimed in, "though it's going to cost you a few coppers more to do the place up, so Xen tells me,"

"Well, I will admit it looks a bit gloomy; it needs brightening up," I agreed.

"As to servants, the housekeeper has a good reputation so she will do for a start. As you have four rooms, you can have a maid, a manservant and a stableman. I'll ask around for references when I pop into town tomorrow,"

"That sounds fine," I answered.

"We'll arrange interviews for the best candidates," Xen added.

They went on about the best places to get the furnishings, including a trip over to the mainland for fabrics. I let them talk on, listening with one ear for when I had to respond with a word or nod.

I was saved after ten minutes when lunch time was announced. Mitztar was already seated in the dining room along with Gregor, who was still serving himself from the table.

We ate with little chatter, with Xen and I excusing ourselves as soon as we had finished. "What shall we do this afternoon?" Xen asked as we walked out into the hallway.

"I was thinking of buying new clothes, the ones I've got mark me out as a stranger," I replied.

"We should ask Herisk for help there, he'd know the best," she said, turning back to the dining room. "Wait here."

"Right, we're ready," she said when she reappeared.

She linked arms as we walked out to my cart, then snuggled up to me as we drove off. She talked more about the house and using the land to start a little kitchen garden as we rode down.

She directed me as we got to the town, taking me to a street of shops. There was a mix; I saw haberdashers, milliners, and dressmakers scattered amongst food and hardware stores.

We stopped outside a shop with a large pair of painted scissors hanging in the window, along with a few bolts of cloth. I bought several outfits and paid for them, with Xen proudly giving our new address for delivery.

While we were in the district, Xen set up accounts with some of the merchants so that the servants could shop for food and domestic supplies. We also visited a few dress shops and ordered her signing dress in one.

I took her back to the Inn for dinner. I was surprised to find a note from Gulic waiting for me. It was a request that I call on him as soon as was convenient.

"Well, my meeting seemed to have produced swift results," I said looking from the note to her.

"You'd better find out what he wants, it sounds urgent," she remarked, sounding a little concerned.

"Ah, just as I thought we had some quiet time together," I said wistfully.

She chuckled. "We'll make up for it later."

"Come on then," I said, tucking the note in my purse.

I left the Inn a little grimmer, presuming that they'd taken up my offer of help; it could also involve my probable return to the university. With all the organising to be done for the new house, I could hardly expect Xen to come with me, but at least, like now, we could still spend our nights together.

We walked hand in hand up to the door; the same maid as earlier let us in and pointed us down to his room. I knocked and entered.

"Ah Davor, and Xentha, welcome," he greeted us. "I've had a talk with Heen'll and we'd like you to come back to help with the planning."

I glanced at Xen, seeing relief in her face.

"Yes, of course," I agreed.

"Good, I've arranged a void from there for mid-morning tomorrow. Is that okay?"

"It should be," I acknowledged, then turning to Xen, "I'm sorry..."

"No, I can manage," she interrupted.

"Thanks," I replied, giving her a smile.

"And," Gulic continued, "Swapswisle sent you this book."

He picked up a slim tome and held it out. "It's a history of Jakes," he said as I walked over to him and took it.

"That's all I have," he said as I opened the book to look at the flyleaf.

"Well," I said looking up, "we'll be on our way then, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yes. I'll see you then," he replied.

Xen and I turned and made our way back to the hall and let ourselves out.

"I thought this might happen," Xen said as we walked down the steps.

"Mm, I didn't, I should have but my mind is full of other things," I confessed.

"Don't worry, I can take care of things here as long as you take care," she said softly.

"I'll be alright, you needn't worry there," I replied reassuringly, taking her hand.

12