Raising Alex Ch. 04

Story Info
As time goes by...
3.9k words
4.67
22.9k
24

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 08/17/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mitch shoved his key in the lock, jiggled the door knob and pushed open the front door. He'd been meaning to get that fixed. Just one more thing on his mile long to-do list.

He heard Jamie's lilting laughter as he set his drafts on the kitchen counter and couldn't help but smile despite his exhaustion. His job was great, he loved it, and if his nights weren't still being interrupted by a crying 9 month old, he'd probably be enjoying it a helluva lot more. They'd finally broken ground on the first project he'd started working on since joining the architectural firm 4 months earlier which was going to allow him to spend a bit more time working from home, a bit more time watching Alex grow, he was crawling and pulling himself up now, and a bit more time with Jamie.

Jamie, just the thought of her was enough to ease some of the tension that rippled off of his shoulders. Sometimes there was an unnerving amount of sexual tension between them in large part due to their immense physical attraction but for the most part they'd been taking things slow. Aside from a few friends he'd made at work, she was one of his closest. She stayed over for dinner a lot, they'd watch a movie or something lame on TV, but his favorite was when she'd come over on Sunday's to watch football.

It was the middle of the season so every game counted and she'd show up dressed to the nines in full Giants gear. She was passionate about the game but she wasn't a sore loser. They'd laugh and talk trash while pigging out on nachos and wings. He was tempted to say she was almost one of the guys, but when she'd loosen her hair from its rubber band and let it cascade down her back, or tuck a stray strand behind her ear, lick her lips free of a stray morsel of whatever they were eating, he certainly had other, more primal thoughts about her.

They hadn't ever gone much further than kiss on the cheek when he walked her home, a hug just a little tighter, a little longer past the line of friendship, and if she was too tired to go home, she always slept in the guest room...alone.

That day 4 months ago after sharing their first kiss, had been the start of the sweetest torture. He'd had been waiting patiently in the car, flipping through the stations on the radio while watching the numbers change on the clock on his dashboard. Alex, unfortunately, was not nearly as patient. He'd started wailing not 5 full minutes after the car had stopped moving. Mitch undid his seatbelt and clumsily climbed over the center console and into the back seat.

Mitch was tickling the baby's belly and making faces at him, when Jamie walked out of the front door of her building and up to the car. He was so completely wrapped up in entertaining little Alex, that he was oblivious to her presence. She rapped softly on the glass, and caught Mitch's eye.

He had to do a double take. Damn! She had legs for days,and the short denim skirt she'd put on was definitely showing them off. Mitch couldn't help it, he was openly staring. When she knocked on the window again and pointed to the door, Mitch finally got the message. He scrambled up to the front seat and hit the unlock button to let Jamie in, a perfect shade of tomato red spreading across his tan skin.

"Sorry, I uh...."

"I thought you were gonna leave me out there" Jamie giggled, sliding into the seat. It seemed to ease some of Mitch's embarrassment and he resumed their easy conversation as they drove to the neighborhood park.

They'd taken a walk and sat with Alex on a park bench, talking about anything and everything. He told her more about his parents. His dad, the Colonel, was retired after close to 40 years in the military, and his mom, who Jamie had already gotten to know was a professor at the local university. Mitch was a typical only child, spoiled beyond belief, and the apple of his parents eye. Honors student, football star, th whole nine. He'd gone to Stanford for undergrad, and although he'd gotten a scholarship to play football, he probably could've gotten in by his grades alone. After college, he and Liz were going to get married and live happily ever after, or so he thought.

He'd never imagined he would end up a single father of an abandoned baby boy. It wasn't to say that he didn't love little Alex, it just wasn't the life he'd planned on. Mitch realized now that what he and Liz had wasn't real, true love, but a happy companionship with occasional sex. Sure, he would have married her, but simply because it was the next step they were "supposed" to take.

It was almost funny, Jamie thought, that he'd had the perfect life up until a few months ago, and life for her had been shitty since day 1, yet they'd ended up right here, in the same place at the same time. She knew this whole situation had to be hard for him, he hadn't been prepared for the issues that could come up in life. That was the trouble with having everything. For better or worse, everything she'd experienced in life thus far had made her incredibly adept at dealing with anything that came her way.

Jamie didn't share quite as much about herself outside of her foster family, but it was nice to share even that with Mitch, to talk to someone about how much they meant to her. Jamie told him that she hadn't decided she wanted to be a doctor until half way through college when she'd taken a job at the front desk of a free clinic. Seeing the people who need help so badly, and the clinic, or the nearby rundown hospital, were their only options. Every seat would be occupied, the doctors and nurses from the hospital all volunteering their time, it struck a cord with her and from then on she'd known that she had found her calling.

A little later in the afternoon, Mitch drove Jamie back to her apartment. They said their goodbyes and he'd wanted so badly to kiss her, it made his hands shake. Instead, he'd settled for a hug and a soft kiss on her cheek. Jamie promised to see him bright and early Monday morning. She also promised to make him breakfast before he left, and that brought a huge, dazzling smile to Mitch's face.

It had become a weekly routine for them, Monday through Friday, she'd come early enough to make him breakfast before he left for work, and stay for dinner when he got home. Saturday they'd take a stroll around the park, and since it was football season, Sundays were dedicated to football. It gave them lots of opportunities to talk, while sipping a cup of coffee or pushing Alex's stroller down the cobblestoned walkway. Every Friday, Mitch tried to get Jamie to spend the night instead of walking her home. He was beginning to realize that with the exception of the time he spent at work, he was doing his best to spend every waking moment with Jamie, but he wanted to spend his sleeping moments with her too.

Tonight Mitch had something special planned, so he'd rushed home as soon as his last meeting was over.

"Say 'Hi, Daddy'!." Jamie giggled, bouncing a cherubic Alex on her hip.

Mitch leaned down and placed a kiss on each of them. First one atop Alex's freshly cut head of hair, then a gentle kiss on Jamie's cheek. She blushed visibly which always brought a smile to Mitch's face.

He was always looking for excuses to touch her. They were obviously attracted to each other but something was definitely holding her back. He supposed the fact that she technically worked for him was an issue, but he was pretty certain it was something else. He desperately wanted to find out what it was and if there was any hope of getting past it.

"Hey baby boy!" he retorted.

Jamie smiled, it warmed her heart seeing a Mitch interact with his son. "You're home early."

"Yeah. I took off after my last meeting. Hopefully things will start to slow down now that they've broken ground on the site. I'm just praying they don't throw me on another project right away."

"Are those the new drafts?" Jamie asked, jabbing her thumb in the direction of the rolled up papers on the kitchen counter.

"Yep. Do you want to see them?" She'd stayed up a few nights with him looking over drafts and listening to his explanation of what he wanted to put here or there. They'd stand huddled next to each other, and she'd interject if she didn't think his plan was particularly practical. When she'd reach across him to point out something he'd drawn, he could smell the faint scent of coconuts from the lotion on her skin and it made his mouth water, driving him to distraction. He office should be finished soon so he could work on his models at home too. He was sure she'd like to see those too and he'd enjoy the opportunity to spend more time with her.

Jamie nodded, a bright smile spreading across her face.

"Have you started dinner yet?" he asked.

"Not yet. Sorry, we got a little sidetracked," she replied bouncing Alex again, eliciting a squeal of delight from the baby.

"No, no. I was hoping to get here before you did. Tonight, I'm going to cook for you."

Jamie couldn't contain her laughter, though she did try. "You're gonna cook? If your mom hadn't filled the fridge, the freezer, and the pantry before she left, there would have been nothing here but a moldy loaf of bread and a half gallon of spoiled milk ".

"I was having a tough time, ok...." he frowned trying his best to look wounded. "Am I ever going to be able to live that down? " Mitch grumbled as he slung his suit jacket over the kitchen stool and began to roll up his shirt sleeves.

Now that they were friends she'd give him a hard time about how much of a jerk he was when he'd met her, and how much he'd let himself go in that first few weeks.

"Ok, ok. So what are we having for dinner, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, protein shakes? Those are about the only things I've seen you cook, so I'll believe it when I see it".

Jamie sat Alex in his high chair and sprinkled a few cereal puffs on his tray for him to munch on. She watched Mitch as he danced animatedly around the kitchen. He was pulling all sorts of things out of the fridge, and lining up a series of pots and pans on the stove.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing, cause if our dinner gets burnt, I'm not washing all these dishes."

"Care to put a friendly wager on it?" he replied, his back to her so she couldn't see the apprehension on his face, holding his breath as he waited for her answer.

He was definitely up to something and she was curious to find out what it was.

"I should probably say no, but..." Mitch took that as his cue to interject. "Oh come on, it'll be fun. If you think my meal is as good as I know it will be, you have to buy me dinner and I get to choose the place."

"Dinner....at a restaurant...with you?" Jamie joked nervously.

"Yeah, dinner...with me...at a restaurant, you know one of those things where two people go out together, get to know each other, over a nice meal. I don't know if you've ever been on one but...."

Jamie gulped, she and Mitch had been dancing around this subject for quite some time. It made for lots of witty and playful banter but other than their one and only kiss it had remained strictly platonic. But now it seemed as if Mitch was laying his cards on the table.

"Ok, I'll take that as a yes!"

Jamie let out a nervous chuckle.

"A little presumptuous aren't we?"

She tried to act innocent, but she was purposefully trying to push Mitch's buttons so that he would take a step back and change his mind about the idea of them taking their relationship further. She obviously couldn't say no outright, it wasn't really her style anyway, but she definitely didn't think going out on a date with him was such a bright idea.

Mitch looked visibly hurt and Jamie ducked her head so that she wouldn't have to meet his eyes.

"I just...you know. I thought it would be fun. That's all. I haven't had a night out since I moved here and I really wanted to spend it with you."

Oh God, the pitiful sound in his voice and the way his long dark lashes framed his blue puppy dog eyes, It was too much to take. She could feel her resolve breaking, an apology and everything else on her mind, squeaking out in short, breathy fragments, before she could stop it.

"I thought...I mean, you were joking and then I was trying....but obviously...."

She took a deep, calming breath.

"I'm sorry, I love spending time with you, I just don't want things to get complicated. I mean there's a line and if we cross it, what happens then?"

Had she really said all that?! It seemed to be enough to lighten Mitch's mood because quickly as the somber expression had taken over his face, a stupid shit-eating grin appeared.

"So you like spending time with me, huh?" Jamie's cheeks burned.

"Babysteps, Jamie. It's just dinner. Speaking of which, ours is almost ready, so prepare to be amazed."

Jamie quickly set the table and transferred Alex to his playpen, while Mitch dished out the meal he'd prepared onto two plates. He poured two glasses of water from the tap and set those on the table too. He had a bottle of wine he wanted to open but he'd save it for later.

When they sat down, Jamie eyed her plate suspiciously. It actually looked really good, but it smelled even better.

Sensing here hesitation, Mitch smirked, "Fine I'll take a bite first."

Mitch leaned forward and opened his mouth, waiting patiently as Jamie scooped up a forkful of food. She placed the fork gently against his lips and watched as he slowly took it into his mouth. He seemed to be savoring the taste on his tongue and then he chewed slowly, licking his lips when he was done.

The whole thing just made her mouth water. Good God, did he have to do everything sexy!

"Do you trust me?"

Jamie hadn't heard him the first time but the grumble of him clearing his throat snapped her out of her reverie.

"Hmm?"

"I said, Do you trust me?"

Jamie looked up into his eyes and tentatively shook her head yes. She sat stock still watching as he pick up his fork.

Mitch held the forkful of risotto to Jamie's lips and watched as she slowly opened her mouth.

Jamie moaned sensually, a sound he was almost certain she'd make during another more intimate activity, and he was definitely enjoying it now. But, when her pink tongue peaked out between her lips to lick a stray morsel, if he hadn't been sitting his knees might have buckled.

God did she have to do everything sexy!

Jamie smiled up at him and it sent his heart racing.

"Ok. You win. Mmm, that was incredible."

They ate in companionable silence, stealing glances at each other over the dinner table.

Jamie broke the silence with a question that had been rattling around since he'd pulled the first pot down from the rack hanging above the kitchen island.

"So where did you learn to cook?"

""My Nonna." Mitch replied an easy smile spreading across his face. Jamie waited a beat for him to elaborate.

When he didn't, she rolled her eyes at him and probed again.

"Nonna?"

"Oh she's sort of like my Italian grandmother I guess. She was best friends with my grandmother and my mom thinks of her like a mom, so I've always called her my Nonna. My Gram died of breast cancer when my mom was 15 so Nonna sort of added my Grandfather and my mom to her family. When I was younger, she'd always cook these huge meals for her family and ours. She was an amazing cook. My mom was always shooing me out of the kitchen but whenever I spent time with my Nonna, she would let me help her, even if it was just stirring the pot. I'd put an apron on and everything."

Mitch sighed enjoying the happy memory.

"As I got older she told me I had to learn to take care of myself. I guess she wasn't ever really a fan of Liz." He shrugged and laughed softly.

Jamie saw that Mitch had more to say so she continued to listen intently.

"She taught me how to make all the typical Italian dishes and I'm not talking spaghetti and meatballs. I mean osso buco, risotto, casônsei, polenta pasticciata."

"I don't know what any of that is, but listening to you talk about it makes it sound delicious."

"Well, risotto is what we just ate tonight, but you can make it with other things, mushrooms, grilled chicken or steak. And polenta is a cornmeal type thing that is kind of a rice substitute."

When Jamie made a face, Mitch laughed and added, "Don't worry I can make a great pizza or pasta too."

When they'd finished dinner, Jamie took care of the dishes while Mitch put Alex to bed. He'd fallen asleep in his playpen during dinner and they hadn't wanted to move him.

Jamie was finished before Mitch had come back down and she wasn't quite sure if she should wait for him or not. She wiped down the table and Alex's chair and had just started on getting his bottles ready when she heard the heavy footsteps of Mitch lumbering down the stairs.

"You don't need to do those now."

"I was waiting for you."

"Yeah? I thought you'd try to sneak out the back door or something."

Mitch closed the gap between them, so close that Jamie had to strain her neck to look up into his eyes.

"So, I can't give you a ride home obviously, but, you can stay... if you want."

Jamie felt Mitch trail his fingertips up her arms and watched as he tucked a strand of her long dark hair behind her ear. He brushed the back of his hand against her cheek and went for it, slating his lips against hers. When she didn't protest, he deepened the kiss, taking her bottom lip between his and coaxing her mouth open.

Jamie felt feverish, the feeling of Mitch's lips against hers setting her body on fire. She let him lead, he was hesitant, waiting for her any signs of protest. She shouldn't have let it keep going but couldn't stop him, the feelings that he was eliciting from just a simple kiss, too good to pass up.

When he'd sucked briefly on her bottom lip, it had sent a pulse straight through her core and she'd kissed him back. She could feel the moisture pooling between her legs as Mitch slipped his tongue inside of her mouth to massage hers. She wrapped her arms around his neck and slipped her fingers into the soft dark hair at the nape. Mitch pulled her flush against him, running his hands up and down her back before gripping her ass.

Jamie pulled away desperately trying to catch her breath. He was holding her so close, his strong arms wrapped securely around her. When Mitch tried to go in for another soul-searing kiss, Jamie turned away. Instead, he buried his head into her neck and sighed heavily.

"Mitch, we..." Jamie whispered. She was unable to put a coherent thought together, and even if she could, she wasn't quite sure what to say.

He breathed in her scent, kissed that spot where he neck met her shoulder, and then put some distance between them.

"Come on, there's gotta be something good on tv tonight."

He held out his hand for hers and Jamie followed him to the den. She sat with her feet tucked under her, shy all of a sudden.

"Mitch I'm sorry, I just..." Jamie trailed off.

Mitch plopped next to her on the couch and pulled her to him, "You don't need to be sorry, Jamie. We're taking baby steps, remember. In case you haven't noticed, I really like you, so however long it takes, however long you need. I'm not going anywhere. This, you and me here is enough, ok?"

Jamie snuggled closer and sighed. His body was firm and taught, but the warmth radiating from his skin, and his unique scent made snuggling up next to him the most comfortable place in the world.

It was morning before she knew it. They had apparently never made it to their respective beds, falling asleep with the tv on. At some point Mitch had covered them with a blanket and they'd slept spooned together on the oversized sofa.

They followed their normal Saturday routine of a big breakfast and then a mid-day stroll in the park. Mitch held Jamie's hand in his while they walked occasionally draping his arm over her shoulder. Later in the day, he dropped her off at home, sharing a chaste peck on the lips before she got out of the car.

12