Ratter Ch. 06

Story Info
The anchor or the whole ship.
7.9k words
4.78
17.3k
17

Part 6 of the 6 part series

Updated 10/14/2022
Created 07/08/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
_Aine_
_Aine_
66 Followers

A/N: I know. Demon bitch from hell. Well, here it is.

***

She was bored. Not that it surprised her, but the delicate process of paint drying was looking to have interesting conversational properties compared to this. Ryan really needed some new hobbies.

"...so I took his queen with my knight and he..."

Paint. It comes in many colors and maybe if we sit and stare at walls for ten hours or so, we'll answer the age old question of which color dries the fastest. "Ryan!"

He flinched at her tone and grinned sheepishly. "Sorry, sometimes I forget that not everyone in the world is a chess-fanatic."

You don't say.She offered him a weak smile and reached for her bag. No point in prolonging the torture more than necessary and for some reason she couldn't draw upon her earlier sympathy. "I'm sorry, I think I should go"

He stood with her frowning. "Was it something I said?"

"Uh...yeah, actually." she bit her lip. Since when was she such a bitch? Oh yeah, after two hours of cars, chess and NASA. "You're sweet but we don't have anything in common and I think it's better if we just call it a night."

"Well, at least let me drive you home" he tried for a charming smile and failed miserably.

Still she pecked his cheek and threaded her arm through his. She wasn'tthatmuch of a bitch.

She gasped as a wave hit her in the doorway, so sharp it stole all sense of self. Something deeper than voice or emotion, something primal. Simple knowledge that leaving that room would be bad. Even as her feet were walking.

"April, are you alright?" Ryan's concerned voice broke through the haze.

Her head snapped around and she saw him. Oh god, she saw him. Her sight flooded with darkness and blood, the honey-sweetness of power and stale thickness of death. Not just death, but inflicted pain with the pleasure of taking life. It was sickening and intoxicating at the same time, feeding one part while sapping another. She stumbled backwards out the door and into the alley vaguely aware of Ryan's face twisting in something of amusement and knowing only that she had to get away, and fast.

"Now, now" Ryan chuckled following her step, "no reason for our date to end so early in the night Ril. Especially now that I suspect we're both playing with a full deck."

"What are you?" she said proud that she didn't stutter but cursing the weakness in her voice.

He blinked innocently. "Why April, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm just your average, boring, run-of-the-mill single white male, out on the town with my girl." She raised a skeptical eyebrow as he stalked her slowly down the alleyway. He chuckled again when she hit the back wall and leaned in close to her, eyes twinkling. "Okay, so I'm not." Her eyes widened as two sharp fangs lengthened before her eyes and the primal warning writhed inside her.

Then there was calm, and she smirked. For the first time since joining the freakier side of the universe, she was completely alone in a life or death situation. And it felt great. Ryan for his part, stood there looking confused. Her knee shot into his crotch at the same time her right hand gripped his throat, pressing down on his larynx. She dug her nails into the flesh, keeping him from tearing forward. She kneed him a couple more times before bringing her foot down on his kneecap. He shifted out of the way and crossed his legs behind hers, sending the both to the ground. He recovered fast. Rolling to his feet and kicking her in the stomach when she started to rise.

"It was a bit disconcerting when you didn't immediately know my breed let alone my title. A man has his pride you know. And while I've never been the sort to follow with that 'mine is bigger than yours' train of thought, I would at least think my kill count would warrant a mention." She rolled out of the way of another kick and bounced to her feet, shifting impatiently from one to the other.

"Evil villain talks should really be reserved for movies." She stated blocking his punch and swiping at his face.

The grin never left him throughout the fight and April had to admit it was fun. Something heady about dancing around the point of death and knowing you could possibly lose. She was just wondering why they were so equally matched when she landed a rare kick to his midsection, sending him crashing into the wall. She frowned then and looked at her palms.

She was covered in blood she didn't notice before, but there was nothing in her senses that said she was any more powerful. Her body just knew, the changes she had been expecting hadn't happened yet. And she was facing off with a creature who had bargained with a demon to be stronger than any human on the planet. She raised curious eyes to the dark figure opposite her, his knowing smirk confirming her suspicions.

He was just toying with her.

When he rushed her that time, there was no defense. No time to even consider it as he twisted her arms behind her, the bones protesting under his strength. One hand jolted her head back as his fangs bit into her neck and ripped a long, jagged path to her shoulder. She kicked back and he wrestled her to her knees, fangs still mutilating her skin. His arm abandoned her head to hold her around the waist, the first draws of life leaving her body. Through the strange connection, she could feel it. Feel both her weakening state and his growing strength. The taste of blood and rapture as it slipped down his throat and flooded his body with unexpected coolness. Peace.

He stopped and drew back. She almost protested the loss until her head returned and she realized what was happening. Hands still held her fast, but eyes were directed to a familiar figure standing at the end of the alley.

***

She mouthed his name with a look of combined relief and irritation which he guessed would be a constant no matter how many times they faced off. He shoved his hands into his pockets and tipped his head to Ryan. "Urien Alaster"

"Ah, someone who knows me."

Seere smirked. "Not really. But if it makes you feel better, sure."

"Hmm...you look familiar."

He waved a hand dismissively. "Got one of those faces."

Ryan chuckled and narrowed his eyes. "Your breed eludes me but I'm sure we've met before."

"And I'm sure we'll meet again for tea a crumpets and be the best of friends. But as of this moment, you have something of mine."

April snorted, choking out a weak "not yours"

"Now's not the time to discuss technicalities Ril"

"Presumptuous basta..."

She cut off in a whimper as Ryan dug his fingers into her ribs. "While all this banter is very amusing, I have to agree with the lady. She's not yours." He gave a short laugh. "Actually she's not mine either. I'm keeping her warm for an acquaintance."

Seere focused on April, begging the Gods for some measure of justice. Not that he deserved it. He was one to beg from, not beg in of itself. But it couldn't hurt. His eyes met hers and the air between them thickened and while Ryan continued what was possibly a crucial part of the conversation, Seere couldn't hear him. His senses focused on the barely visible waves of power projecting from her body. Her face paled more and eyes fluttered as a breath parted her lips and muscles slackened against the vampire. The weight of her body barely registered a pause in Ryan's monologue.

"So you can see my predicament. The girl for what amounts to a great deal of power, and the cursed knowledge that I couldn't give two bits about the lady in question."

Only a complete fool wouldn't see what's happening to her,Seere thought as the waves started to shift around her.How could he not notice?

He was answered by silence. His eyes flickered to Ryan, his now glazed and a look of recognition swept over the vampire's face. He chuckled and turned to April. "It seems you have power after all." She didn't answer. Her breath came in rugged pants and her lips started to turn blue.

He was going to kill her. A being without proper instruction would die in the power they'd been born with, a fact that every non-human knew. He was going to kill her without killing her, by just being there. Ryan purred and massaged the pulse point at her neck.

A scream pitched from her throat, sweeping the outskirts of energy over everything in the alley. Something broke in Seere. He could feel it. Like a rush of time that forced his self into hiding for another he didn't understand. From the first predatory growl and glint of darkness, all in the alley knew that Seere as he was had left the building.

"This one is mine." His voice rumbled from his throat without prompting.

Ryan's eyes were wary, but he held April possessively. "No. She really isn't."

"There a laws toprae."

"I hardly consider her thus"

"I. Do."

Ryan looked down at the girl before turning curious eyes to Seere. "You're not a vampire, I can tell that much from here. You have no means to make a claim in any form."

"Wrong." Seere growled and drew on the power projecting through the alleyway. The walls shook as he channeled it through the environment.

Ryan chuckled. "Are you so weak that you take from a child to defeat your enemy?"

Seere smirked. "Ourkind of power takes time and somethingwehave in common is our aversion to patience." He released his pull on the energy and the alley walls tore down, the crumbling stones closing around Urien Alaster. Seere waited a moment before slowly moving forward. He paused at arms length, touching the lump of stone. The rocks flew apart, planting themselves back in their rightful place. Urien's body lay crushed in the alley. April stood before him unharmed. Her lashes fluttered as she struggled with consciousness. He moved forward and she fell into his arms.

"W-what." she licked her lips and tried again. "I-It got dark"

Her voice sounded far away and strange to his ears. Her identity flickered through his mind as he struggled to maintain that he knew her at all.April. He knew April. At least he thought he did. He shrugged off the confusion and pulled a switchblade from his belt, opening her shirt around the mark. The blade slid into her and her body jumped to escape the pain. He flipped the knife and pressed the blade into his palm before dropping it to the ground and pressing his wound to hers.

***

The power fled from April's body to Seere's and combined with his healing she stood strong in his arms. Her sight returned in time to watch the skin regenerate on her shoulder before she turned to the slight scariness that was him. There was something cold and empty that went beyond Seere's usual 'sparkling' personality.

He wasn't looking at her, still focusing on healing what damage her power had done and she used the time to study him. Seere's face, Seere's eyes, Seere's body, obviously Seere's power. But it wasn't Seere, her blood knew.

Finally he moved his hand away and she adjusted her shirt. He was staring at her with simmering rage and a low growl rumbled from his throat with every breath. It would have been funny if not for the murderous intent. She took a shaky step back and froze as the growl got deeper. The fear conveniently absent while her throat was being ripped out flew straight to her stomach. She shook as she folded her arms. "Do you need a rabies shot or something?" she muttered, determined not to give him any more ammo than he already had.

He darted forward and dragged her arms away from her in a grip enough to bruise. She brought her knee up and he dodged it, throwing her into the alley wall. She held perfectly still and let the fear have its way. Now that it had a good reason. He moved closer, a little more gently this time but never removing his eyes from hers. They still echoed rage and for a moment she half expected fangs. But Seere wasn't a vampire. She winced as he lowered his head to her neck and bit her lip to keep from whimpering. He breathed her in and relief washed away the fear.

He skimmed her from shoulder to jaw and she shuddered at the sweep of air across her skin. His forehead pressed against hers and his eyes burned a thousand violent wishes into her soul. Something was wrong. But the fear didn't return. Without a word he gripped her bruised wrist and dragged her to the motorbike around the corner.

She pursed her lips in irritation. "Seere?"

He grunted and flashed a warning look.

"Don't look at me like that you ass. I'm trying to talk to y..."

Strong fingers wrapped around her throat and squeezed. She struggled for air, but this time he wasn't letting up. Forcing back the natural inclination to panic she met his eyes and forced defiance. Trying to communicate without words every derogatory term under the sun tied with the promise of retribution. His face contorted in pain and confusion. He lowered her to the ground, releasing her throat and stepping back.

Then came the anger. "What the fu..." She stopped when she saw him hold his hands in front of him like he couldn't recognize what he was seeing. The darkness and emptiness had left his face and instead he looked almost scared. "Seere?"

He snapped out of it and she shrieked as he pulled her to him and tilted her head up, inspecting her neck. "Sorry" he murmured, refusing to take his eyes off the bruised skin. He bit into the cut on his palm and pressed it against hers; she leaned against him for support as the blood worked its magic. He was shaken. April had thought it would take a lot more to shake Seere. Seeing as he listed murder and holistic evil under hobbies and bonding. The emotion didn't look good on him.

She grabbed him and twisted his face to hers when he pulled away. Desperately she searched him for any signs of the person who'd tried to kill her. There was none. In the training room it was him. She knew it was him. This time it was something else. She narrowed her eyes. "What. The. Fuck."

His eyes flickered with a moment of uncertainty before he smirked and pushed himself away from her, swinging onto the bike. "Get on."

The message loud and clear was to pretend it never happened.Fine. She crossed her arms. "Nope. Definitely not."

"Ride or walk April, your choice."

Damn choices. She jumped on behind him with a heavy punch to his shoulder. "Ass" she muttered and they sped away.

***

Without body, soon without mind.Urien Alaster laughed in the last traces of consciousness. What a tribute to the generations he was to die at the hands of two where legions had failed. He whispered for blood and was rewarded with the tinkle of crystal on rock. Without a body he couldn't see, but the power sang to his very essence.

Taking hold of the remnants of self, he chanted the few forgotten words. And when he rose whole and without the hindrance of flesh, he lifted his prize from the ground. A clear gem with a blue mist writhing at its centre.

***

Normally she would have been concerned. But it wasn't like Seere was the most calm and rational person in the world. She had her own problems to deal with. Eve was looking at her through the mirror with nothing short of horror. Whatever she was becoming wasn't going to be a barrel of laughs if this was the preshow.

April leaned on the wall as she tried to make it to her bed. The bastard had left her to make it on her own without a second glance. Gone off to find Rane. 'Cause he was the one that needed help. The room swayed and she stumbled to the bed. The sheets came alive under her fingers, like waves shifting and pulling at her. But the panic was gone. She felt strangely calm. Standing, now steady on her feet, she walked to her mirror and looked curiously at Eve. "Do you know what I am?" she whispered.

Arms came around her waist and a strong body pressed against her back. April closed her eyes and leaned into him. "I wish I knew what was happening." She whispered. He didn't answer.Now's the part where you comfort the emotionally tormented woman, Seere. Her eyes snapped open. Seere's body wasn't cold.

She looked down at the arms still firmly gripping her waist, seeing only a shadow in the darkness. Swallowing her nerves, she twisted around and peered into darkness where eyes should have been. Darkness surrounded by slick, decomposing flesh. Her mouth went dry with a scream she couldn't' summon. But the corpse made no further movement. It just stood there; skin sloughing off and the rank, acrid smell of decay filling the air. April choked and pushed back, trying to scream but unable to form the sound. She fell back against the dresser tearing the arms from its body.

Whe-who?She looked wildly around the room. The corpse still stood there, waiting.Someone has to- It can't be here on its own!

"Whoa! Shit!" Rane stood in the doorway, gaping at the thing. "April..."

April stared wide eyed at Rane, but her fingers were digging into the dresser so hard she couldn't move.

And she wasnotletting go of that dresser.

"Don't you think it would be best to move this way." He smiled nervously.

The corpse's arms shrunk into the ground and re-formed on his body. It turned to Rane, its hollow face forming the definite impression of 'pissed-off'.

"I don't think he wants me to" she whispered.

"I see.MIIIKE!" Michael bounded up to the door and looked at Rane curiously. "How are you with the walking dead?" he nodded towards the corpse.

Michael muttered something incoherent and walked towards them. The corpse made a gurgling sound resembling laughter and lifted its hand. Michael shot back, going through three walls before sinking to the ground.

April's panic increased and her breathing came in short gasps. She felt the charge in her body, murmur and the dizziness returned. Heat shot down her arms, centering at her fingertips. And she felt Eve. The link to information about vampires in her innocent, childlike mind. Instincts, emotions ran rampant through her system. Then she spoke one word; "Ja-van". And everything fell away.

***

Seere paced his room erratically, only pausing to throw something at the walls. The voices wouldn't stop. They taunted him, called out to him. Told him to help, told him to hurt. Violence had never been their direct motive before. Another item smashed against his wall. He wanted to kill her tonight. Tasted it and found its harsh tang intoxicating. It sung to him.

It was never a matter of what he was. He didn't lie when he said it was in him to take pleasure in death. But part of that pleasure was in the control. The flawless acts of watching the life of someone disappear between your fingers. The feel of the hunt where your breath would catch despite knowing you would never be caught. The sweet burn of the blood on your hands and choked screams ringing in your ears.

He never lost control.

He leaned into the wood at his balcony entrance, consciously turning away from the reflection in the mirror. It was the same as it always had been. Blonde hair, violet eyes, pale skin. It felt wrong for it to be so normal. Mirrors didn't lie.

"Seere" Rane said softly in the doorway. "April's gone."

***

It was a frozen lake. She stood perfectly balanced at its center and looked over the snow-covered trees encircling the area. Her life had officially skipped the beat on normal and gone straight for weird-as-hell. Around her the snow was moving. Lights of a bright green flickered on until the entire lake was surrounded. A faint hiss caught her attention on the right and part of the snow swept onto the ice. As it got closer it took form as a large cat-like creature with translucent fur and a branded line coiled from the center of its head, down the left flank to the right, back leg. Its dull-gold tongue drooped out the side of its mouth as it sat down in front of her panting.

_Aine_
_Aine_
66 Followers