Recovery of a Hero Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Roadbug
Roadbug
120 Followers

"Good," Megan said. "Can you start at the next practice? I want them to learn and I have a few friends who want to do something for the games too."

I asked, "What are these friends going to do? I don't want to get involved with surprises if I'm going to teach something to kids."

"I don't blame you," said Megan. "What I want to do is get a few of the vets I know and put together a color guard. I'm in the auxiliary at the local VFW hall because my father was a Korean War vet. It would be nice to get some of them involved with the kids."

I agreed with that and said, "Fine. Now where do I fit in besides teaching them how to march?"

"We get you a uniform with all the shinnies on and rank pinned on. If I remember right, you can wear your dress uniform for things like that."

"So you want me to get a new set of greens and all my ribbons and qualification badges just to march a bunch of kids onto a field for a game?" I asked.

"Yes," said Megan.

I said, "Sounds fun. We can start at the next practice if the kids don't mind being an hour early. I want permission slips for it though, and you have to be out here with me."

Megan said, "That sounds fine to me." She looked at the girls and asked, "What do you think? Are you interested in doing something a bit different this year?"

They all yelled, "Yes."

I said, "I'll do it then. Since next practice is Friday, I want you all here one hour early and bring those permission slips. Don't try to cheat because I'm going to call each of your parents to verify them."

They snickered at that and Megan told them to go take their showers.

When they were gone she said, "I always wanted to do something like this. We can combine the regular cheering stuff with a bit of marching and maybe even get the school band involved for half time."

"You trying to get into one of those Cheerleader competitions, Meg?" I asked.

"Not a chance," she responded. "Too much work with them and I have enough with this and my regular classes. Three gym classes and 2 math classes a day is enough."

I laughed and said, "You have a full table."

She smiled ruefully and agreed.

I stayed outside after she went in and waited for my crew to come out. When they did, we went to my van and loaded up.

I took Saundra and Shelly and dropped them off at their homes and headed for the barn myself.

When we got home, I got on the phone and called Reach. When he answered, I said hi and told him who I was.

He said, "Oh, good evening Chief. What can I do for you?"

I said, "I need a personal favor if you're up to it. I need a set of Dress Blues. It seems my daughters Cheerleader coach wants it for a color guard for games and such. Also, if you know a senior NCO (Non Commissioned Officer) who was navy and the same for Air Force, I'd like to get a hold of them. Be nice to have all services represented."

He said, "I'll look into it. I do know a retired Master Chief though."

"Great," I said. "Who is it?"

"Me'," he answered. "I was in the navy for 22 years before I retired and took this job. I worked for the Judge Advocates Office for the last 10."

I said, "Works for me. Still got your dress whites?"

"Yes, and they still fit," he said. "Be nice to do something like this for a bit of a change."

"Be glad to have you even if you were a swaby. My brother was a bubble head anyway."

"Oh?" he asked. "What submarine?"

"Patrick Henry," I told him. "It was his first boat and then he was on a fast attack boat somewhere. Never did find out where and don't really want to know."

Reach laughed at that and said, "With what them boats did while we were in, I don't blame you. Don't think I'm even curious considering your record."

"Well," I said, "I don't think you got the whole thing. I bet it was cleaned up a bit. Like that deal in Frisco with them shore patrol dudes."

He laughed again and said, "I didn't hear that and I don't know anything about it. So, When should I show up with that uniform and bring mine?"

I said, "Friday is the next practice. Be nice to have 2 M14's too, if you can manage that. I'll check with the Jar Head here and see if he's interested too. He might need the dress uniform, but I think he might like it."

Reach said, "OK. I happen to know of a Tech Sergeant that might also be interested. I'll check on him, although them fly boys are kind of spacey sometimes."

"Lack of oxygen probably," I said. "Fly too high and forget the oxygen will do it every time."

"Well I think that covers what I wanted to pester you about," I said. "See you on Friday at about 3."

I hung up and wondered if he'd call back and ask for my clothing size or if he might already know. Dress Blues are usually tailored. Didn't matter much since I wouldn't be walking out onto the field for awhile. But It would be nice to do something like that.

I went into the kitchen to see about something to eat and found the girls all there making dinner. I made a strategic withdrawal in the face of superior numbers before I ended up being put to work. I like to cook, but not for so many people. With my two, and four others I just didn't want to do the work right now.

About half an hour later we ate dinner. It was a pleasant meal and good company. The girls went into the Den to play with my computer and that plasma set while Janice and Erica disappeared down stairs. Since the kids were gone, I told George about Megan's Idea. He was interested and said that he still had his dress uniform.

That left Reach to find a fly boy for the guard. We had two flag bearers and two for the rifles. Now all I had to do was get my leg into shape for it.

I worked out for a bit in the basement, then went up to my room. Since I had that huge tub, I was going to use it.

I soaked for about half an hour, then cleaned up and got out. It was about 7:30 by then, so I decided to call Megan.

I got her number from Sally and called her. She answered and I told her that I'd found a Sailor, a Marine and might be able to locate someone from the Air Force. She asked me who I'd gotten so far and I told her.

She seemed surprised that Reach was in the Navy but thought it would be good to have someone from each branch for a Color Guard. I told her that was why I'd called him. If anyone new where to look for that, I thought it would be him.

After talking to Megan, I went to Sally and asked if I could borrow the medal on Friday. She said yes without even asking why I wanted it. I told her that I'd give it back after Cheerleader practice and that it would always be hers.

Shortly after that my girls came in. I also asked them if I could borrow the medals back on Friday. They said that since they were mine anyway, I didn't have to borrow them.

I told them that they were wrong. The medals didn't mean much to me as such and never had. My girls meant much more to me than some shiny bits of metal. They could keep them if they wanted. I just wanted to borrow them for Friday. I didn't need the forgot to duck medals so I didn't bother to contact Sandra or Shelly. I'd get more later.

That done, I went back down stairs to see if George could direct me to a shoe store that sold dress shoes that could pass as low quarters as we'd called the issue dress shoes when I'd been in the Army way back when.

He told me that there was one that could custom fit me if I wanted. I agreed that would be a good idea since I had real wide feet. Hard to get a 8½ triple E shoe.

That done, I went back to my little hidy hole and called Janice on the intercom. That thing was sure handy. I told her that I was ready for bed so she could come and check the leg. Having a real nurse in the house was sure handy, I though. She was also a lot nicer and better looking than most of the ones at the V.A. hospital.

After she checked the leg, I got ready for bed. I went out to check on the girls and they were watching T.V. After giving them each a hug and kiss, I told them good night and went to bed. It had definitely been a long day but the smiles were worth it. It was sure good to see all three of them happy and getting along so well.

Sally continues

After Uncle Dar went to bed, I asked Nancy and Ellen if they had any idea why he needed the medals back. I didn't care if he kept mine, because he'd earned them. They said they didn't know so I forgot about it. I'd give him the medal back whenever he wanted, and if he kept it that was fine.

I curled up on the couch between my two friends and we watched T.V. for awhile. It was nice to have them there now that I was getting used to it. I loved them like sisters and was happy they were there. They had worked so hard to help me and Uncle Dar while we were both recovering from the pool incident and Uncle Dar's infection.

Thinking about that, I realized that I had never said thank you to them. Now was a good time, I decided.

I sat up and told them that I had something important to tell them. I told them how grateful I was for all the help they'd given me. They'd never asked for anything back and they'd always been willing. I also told them that I would never forget that.

Nancy said, "We just wanted to earn our keep. I don't know what would have happened if your family hadn't been willing to take us in. We don't have any other relatives that I know of and we would probably been separated. You guys gave us a home and help when we really needed it."

"We helped friends that needed us," I said. "You don't owe us anything at all. Now that Uncle Dar has adopted you, and he paid rent you don't have to worry about earning anything anyway. You two are my friends and I wanted to help. Forever, remember?"

"Deal," said Ellen. "Friends forever."

I went to bed after that. I think I was happier than I'd ever been since my parents died. Having friends like them and Uncle Dar, Sandra and Shelly did that.

I woke up the next morning, got up and put my robe on. When I went out to the kitchen to start a pot of coffee for Uncle Dar, I found Janny sitting in the kitchen reading the newspaper.

I got myself a bowl of cereal and a banana and went over to the breakfast counter and sat down next to her. I said, "Good morning sis."

She said, "Morning. Hows my baby sister today?"

"Better than I've been for awhile," I said. "I had a lot of fun yesterday."

"Well your going to have more this weekend," she said. "George said that he was going to start you with your bike on Saturday."

"Really?" I asked.

Really," She said. "I still don't like it much, but I was your age when Dad taught me and George is a good instructor. I just don't want you to get hurt again."

"Don't worry, Janny," I said. "I'll be careful."

"Worrying is my job, hon," she said. "I'll always worry about you . I worry about Erica too. Your both my sisters and I care about you."

"Thanks, Janny," I said. "If you really want, I won't ride the bike. I don't want to cause problems."

"Oh go have fun," She said, "I worry about you when you walk up the stairs sometimes. You going to stop doing that just because of that? I told you, it's my job. If Mom were still here, she'd worry too."

Thinking of Mom made me sad for a moment. I remembered her so clearly it was like I could see her standing in front of me. "I sure miss her," I said.

"I do to," said Janny. "Every day, I think of her and I miss her. I miss Dad too. I remember when George took me to the Senior Prom. Dad loaned him his car that night. George never told me, but he also gave George some money and told him to make it a special night for us."

"George didn't tell me until after we got married the next year," she continued. "That night, he took me to the same place that Uncle Dar took you girls to the day he adopted Nancy and Ellen. I'll never forget that night or that Dad made it possible for George to take me there."

"Wow," I said. I remembered the prices and the cheapest meal was almost twenty dollars. Even the deserts were expensive there but the food was really good.

"Wow is right," said Janny. "Neither of us had ever been there before. Dad had made us the reservations and Mom put a card on the seat in the car. It said that this was their gift to us that night."

"I never knew that," I said. "I remember that Mom and Dad liked George a lot but I don't remember much from when you were still in high school. I do remember, though, that you two would take Erica and me out with you sometimes. George used to say that all the guys envied him because he had three beautiful girls to date. I miss those days."

Janny said, "Well we're going to have to fix that. One day soon we'll have to go out. Just the four of us like we used to do. I miss that too."

"Miss what?" asked George as he walked in to the kitchen."

"We were talking about how you'd take all three of us girls out when we were dating," said Janny. "We both miss doing that, so I told her we'd have to do it again soon."

George said, "I miss that too. We had a lot of fun then."

I said, "Well we'll have a bit of a problem with that. There's three more now."

"You got a point, twerp," said George. I punched his arm for calling me a twerp and he grinned at me then said, "Well I'm for it. I bet Dar would like it too. Going out with such beautiful ladies would be great. Maybe with Megan and your other two friends too. Now that would be fun having two guys like us taking out so many gorgeous girls."

"Expensive, too," I said. "Eight of us at once would probably bankrupt you and Uncle Dar both."

"I think we can handle that," he said. "I also think it might be fun."

We made plans for a family outing like we used to do when Janny and George were dating. We decided to wait for Erica to finish her summer quarter at college first so that she'd be free for a few weeks. George even insisted that Sandra and Shelly be included. I demanded that Megan come with us also. They were all family now.

It looked like the Beast would be busy at the end of August and I knew that Uncle Dar would have fun just driving us around. He'd have even more fun when our football season started, I thought. He'd get to help out and I think that was the thing that made him happiest of all. He really liked to help.

We talked for quite awhile about what we could do after Erica finished for the summer.

We talked for over an hour like that. It had been a long time since the three of us had just talked. The only thing missing was having Erica there too.

I realized how truly special my big sister was and I also realized how lucky I was to have her and George.

Later, after Cheerleader practice, Uncle Dar gave us our promised stretching exercises and lessons. Saundra and Shelly had gotten permission and joined us. I never new how tired I could get, but It was fun anyway.

We worked out for about an hour then Uncle Dar told us to go shower and come back.

We went and cleaned up. When we got back, Uncle Dar had gifts for us. We opened them and we saw we all had the same things. A suit of clothes that looked like a short bathrobe top and pajama bottoms. I wondered why the top was so wide, but had no buttons.

Uncle Dar then took out a small box and opened it. He took out some long white belts and said, "These are your belts that show your rank. Since you are just beginning, you get white. As you improve, you get different colors."

He handed each of us a belt and showed us how to tie them. "Next time we do this, you wear the Gi which is what I just gave you and the belt closes the top like a belt ."

We all agreed and he showed us how to bow and when we worked out he was to be called Sensei. He said that means 'Teacher'.

All in all, it was a very tiring day with all the workouts we'd done and such but it was a good day too.

After dinner, we all went to bed tired but happy.

*

This ends Chapter 16. Chapter 17 will continue with Sally and Eldarin telling the story.

Roadbug
Roadbug
120 Followers
12