Redwood Nine Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Bennie and Lamont gave the guys a hand loading the bar and tables into Clay's truck, then, reluctantly, sliding the toilets along side. The sinks went in the cavernous trunk of Wally's Chevy and after a round of shaking and hugging, the guys waved goodbye to their new allies and headed back to the clubhouse. They shook their heads in laughter, in both vehicles, as they talked about the whole thing again and the way everything turned out. Somewhere, in the far off corners of their minds, everyone, but Clay, were thinking about the gift of love and if it somehow played a role in what happened.

The pair were blowing their horns, as they came down the lane way, letting the guys know they were back. Bodies began appearing and then the roll up door was opened. Clay backed the truck up as far as he could. At first, the guys rushed to the back to get to everything, then smelled the stench and were stopped in their tracks. They backed away, holding their noses and waving at the invisible assault. Lenny and Clay got out laughing, seeing the reactions of everyone.

"Awww, little bit stinky for you little boys? C'mon Clay, grab a shitter and bring it to the shop and we'll hose them down."

Clay and Lenny grabbed a toilet each and walked them to the shop door and turned the hose on them, letting it run as clear as it could. A rag was taken to the outside and in no time, they looked almost usable, despite the memory of their former glory, still fresh in their minds.

The others waited until the air was dissipated enough to breathe, then took the table and legs out of the back and carried them in, then hands grabbed the bar and hauled that inside, close to where it would eventually go. Lenny and Clay brought the cleaned out toilets over, no more signs of the vile contents remaining inside, then took them to their perspective locations. A wax seal was put on the flange and the toilet was carefully lowered down and pressed into place and seated. The nuts and washers were slipped over the bolts and tightened down securely. JT attached the water inlet and turned the shut off valve open, listening to the water fill the tank and checked for leaks. The tank finished filling and JT looked at everyone, as he readied to push the lever.

The release of the tank water and the swirling torrent in the bowl finished and began the start of the cycle again. They checked for leaks and saw there were none. A rousing cheer for their efforts went up and talk of having decent bowel movements in a proper toilet, were brought up. Tonight was the night for picking up the panelling and the guys were going over anything they could think of that might happen and how to deal with it.

The tables were put back together and set on the floor, but cues and balls were still needed to play. Tom said he would pick some up in a day or two. No one questioned where he was going to get them, it was now generally understood by all, that if Tom said he was getting something, it was only a matter of when and no need to know from where.

They sat around and listened to Lenny tell them about Bennie and Lamont and the new connection made with them. JT called for a vote, to officially accept the new arrangements and it was passed unanimously. Having Tom as the club adviser for their new profession of merchandize distributors, gave a great sense of relief, knowing they weren't going in blind and facing all the unknown traps awaiting them. Tom would make sure that they always had a good supply of sleeping pills on hand and explained the need to let a sleeping dog lie, as they went about their business. He informed them how peanut butter and a few slices of bread, with the pills crushed on top, could quieten an entire pack of dogs if he needed to.

The door opened up and to everyone's amazement, Piney's dad, Stan, was standing there. They welcomed him in, but he waved them off and to their surprise, called JT to him. JT had no idea what it was about and went to the door and then outside. Piney went over quietly and got as close to the door as he could, to listen. His father's words were too quiet to hear, but the sound of JT beginning to cry, made him alarmed to what it was. He didn't know whether to walk away, or go out to him. Despite the infringement on his privacy, he couldn't bear to know his best friend was hurting badly, just yards away.

He walked out and saw his dad holding JT in his arms and consoling him. JT was weeping hard, the tears coming in steady streams, as JT continued to hold Stan's coat in his fists. Piney looked at his dad, his concern showing for his friend and his need to do something for him. Stan called him over with a nod of his head and Piney came over and gently put his hand on JT's shoulder. JT felt it and saw who it was, then turned to him immediately and continued to cry, as he held on to him.

"Piermont, JT's mother just passed away in hospital. She'd been suffering from complications, from her problems with drinking and she wasn't strong enough to fight anymore. Her sister called us, because we're the only ones she knows, to tell us about it and hoped we could let JT know."

Piney looked at his dad, the sadness he was feeling for JT, as much as when Lester died. His own heart broke down and felt the loss, as his mind played back moments he could remember with her. Stan patted the shoulders of both young men, as they stood in support of each other and walked inside the clubhouse again. The guys turned towards him, wondering what had happened and why JT and Piney didn't come back in. He came over to the bar and stood with them, summoning up his strength to speak to them. He saw the bottle of Jack Daniels and asked for a shot, happily hitting it back and wiping his mouth, before he looked at them.

"Guys, I have some bad news. JT's mother has just passed away. We got a call about an hour ago and his aunt told me the news about her. I just figured you guys would be here."

The guys were crestfallen, hearing the information about her death. They were lost in that moment, unable to come to terms with it and what response would be appropriate to JT. Lenny didn't care about frailties and appropriate measures and headed outside. He looked at JT and Piney sitting on the picnic table, Piney's arm over JT in comfort, both of them distraught by the news.

"JT, man, I'm so sorry about your mom. What happened?"

JT looked at Lenny, despite his size and strength, the softness in his eyes told him he was feeling the hurt he was, even though he'd never even met her. He knew in his heart, that that level of pain, could only come from the devotion and commitment Lenny had for him. He looked into Lenny's eyes with his tear soaked ones, seeing the soul and spirit of the man before him. For all his tears and sobbing, Lenny never thought less of his president, nor was he diminished in his eyes.

For all that the club members looked to JT for strength in his leadership, they were eased to know he could temper that strength with a kindness and know he was leading them with heart and not just power lust.

The guys took strength from Lenny and soon followed him outside and into the scene of suffering. Clay seemed to understand better than anyone, what JT was feeling at that moment. For over seven months, he'd been waiting to feel the same, once his grandfather passed away. Several times already, he'd raced out to Stockton to be with him, his grandmother calling to say it could be his time, only to have him get past the episode and recover, keeping the suspense of grief in check until later.

He stood in front of JT and crouched down, so he could look up at JT's bowed face.

"JT, I know how hurt you are right now. I understand what you're feeling and going through. It hurts to know you'll never see her again, or talk to her, but if you think of her and not you, you'll see she's in a better place. I'm not going to get all preachy and shit, on ya, I ain't like that, but, you know in your heart, that she is. Lenny told me a while back, how you haven't really kept in touch with her, but we all know you really loved her, JT, we know that."

JT raised his head slightly, looking at Clay and feeling the understanding between them.

"You're a good son, JT. You loved your mom, like any good son would. Just 'cause we don't always see them as much as we should, doesn't make us bad guys. We just have lives we got to live and they know that. It's no one's fault that shit happens, man. We all gotta die at some time, we know that. This was just your mom's time to go, that's all. I love you, brother and I'll do whatever I can to help you get through this."

Clay's words did more for him than anything else at that point. JT raised his head up completely and looked at Clay and then the others, looking back at him. He felt a depth of connection with Clay, his words coming to him, with a strength of conviction in them, As much as every member's face held sadness and sympathy on it, Clay's words brought him past the grief and back to an understanding of himself, that he found the comfort in knowing, that he hadn't dishonoured his mother, by not seeing her as much, or taking better care of her.

He got off the table and hugged him tightly, getting the same in return from him. Any doubts about Clay were washed away from his mind and anything he already felt against him, he let it go from his thoughts. He felt the many hands of his brothers laid upon him in conjoined sorrow and loss, the weight of that burden, being lifted by them.

They closed up the clubhouse and Stan said he'd meet them back at his place, once they got cleaned up. There was no real immediacy to be quick, knowing no matter how long they took, nothing would have changed, from the way it was at that moment. The bikes were ridden slowly, somehow in honour of the woman who had passed. They cruised into the lot and parked and the girls began coming out to greet them, but the somber expressions they wore, took any thoughts of happiness away.

A dower gloom hung over everyone, knowing the loss of a mother, was hard to take. What made it worse for JT, was the end of his past and any connection to it. They were all crowded into JT and Piney's room, when the door knocked and slowly opened. Jake stuck his head in and looked about at the faces everyone wore and knew a tragedy had struck.

Jake noticed the focus was on JT and his heart sank. JT looked at him and knew he was suffering hard. His face softened into a look of empathy and compassion, as they looked at each other.

"What happened, son?"

"Mom died, Jake. This morning. I didn't even know she was sick. She's gone, Jake, my mom is gone."

Jake walked in and took hold of JT's cut and pulled it slightly. JT was breaking down again, as the thoughts rushed in to haunt him again.

"Come JT, take a walk with me, son. I think you need to get a lot out right now and I know you can't do it with your friends all around you."

JT nodded his head, as the tears he was doing his best not to shed, spilled down his cheeks. He went out with Jake and they walked towards the road, all eyes watching them from the room. The pair stopped just beyond the hedge and out of sight, but even behind walls and closed windows, JT's wailing could be heard by all of them.

Jake knew he had to let it all out of him, as JT sank to his knees and continued wailing and railing at the skies. He caressed his head softly, not saying a word, letting JT have the healing relief of grieving openly. Once JT had finished the greater part of his sorrow, Jake helped him stand and hugged him tightly, feeling JT respond and connect. He understood the guilt he was feeling, not being a better son, he knew losing her, was JT's severance with his birth into this world and all connection to it. Despite his age, JT had become orphaned, alone in the world now, with no roots, or history.

Jake knew from his own life, what that meant to a man, in his heart, in his soul. He waited until JT was standing under his own strength and then led him down the road, to begin voicing all his heart was feeling and come to terms with the reality of it. Jake made the offer of helping with arrangements and JT said he wanted his mother to be buried next to his dad, if it was possible. Slowly, with each step, JT came closer to his future and walked away from his past.

The others began talking of flowers and headstones, the coffin something the girls felt they knew would be best for his mother. No one had a clue how to pay for it all, but it became an onus they wanted to bear the weight of and spare JT any further anguish, in dealing with it. They knew it came down to favours being called in and favours to be done. The girls had whispered conversations of clients at the club they danced at, going beyond the bounds they normally lived by and talked of sexual services.

The guys had to take a walk outside to discuss other means of raising the much needed cash. Piney spoke to Chico, in front of the others, knowing it was all about club business, despite the personal loss by their president.

"Chico, we need to do a big run and fast. You heard what we need to get and it doesn't take a whole lot, to know this is going to be big money to cover it. Get a hold of your cousins and tell them you need to do another run and this time it's huge. We're taking Wally this time and doing the trunk run, like we thought of before. If it can hold as much as I think it can. This will make us the money we need and more, which is good all around for everyone."

They all looked at Chico with expectancy. The idea was clearly a yes from them all, as he looked at their faces. He looked away to a spot no one occupied and thought, rubbing his chin, as he thought of what he knew.

"Okay, okay, if we take Wally, we have to do a couple of runs from the drop off, back to where Wally can park the car. If we get there a little earlier, we can clear the path a little better, so no one gets hurt this time."

Eyes turned to Keith and all agreed it would be wise to make it safer, but at the same time, keep it disguised.

"How much should I say we're getting?"

Piney looked around at everyone and announced the weight.

"Five hundred pounds."

Whistles and gasps flew, hearing the number and quick minds figured out the end amount of money.

"Shit Piney. You know how we get it over the border, man. It'll take hours to get that much over in one shot. Two pounds a piece means catching two hundred and fifty of those fuckers and running them back to Wally, wherever he ends up sitting."

"Lenny, unless you have something to throw down instead to make this money, we're out of options. Anyone got something, anything, we're all listening?"

Piney looked at everyone, an expectancy that someone would have something better, but heads were blank of thoughts and ideas.

"Chico, make the call now and get things started. We'll have to map out the route for Wally, so he doesn't get lost. It's best if we go in first and get started on our end and Wally can get there an hour later, that way no one puts us all together. Like we talked about before, Wally will be after us and he'll follow behind. If anyone is going to get any attention, we will, so Wally can keep going and make it to Oakland and do the drop. We'll be clear of anything, so we'll get a pass and be back on the road."

Chico spoke up, before anyone else did, feeling what he was going to say, to be of consequence.

"Amigos, listen up. You know last time we had a fly by from our friendly border patrol, we had everything timed for that. We're going to need to figure out how long it's going to take to shoot those things over, before we have a visit. We can't be spotted by them, or we can just sit and wait until the patrol gets us, because we'll never get out of there, before they arrive. One thing you might be forgetting as well, mi hermanos, not only do we have our side watching for shit, the other side is watching as well. Mexico is getting pressure from our government, to stop the flow of drugs coming in, so they're going to try and make it harder to get shit across, including people."

The last part of what Chico said, had them wondering what he meant. Otto was the most interested and needed to know what he was talking about.

"Chico, what do you mean people?"

"Mexicans, mi amigo, wetbacks as you call them. I was lucky enough to be born on this side of the border, that's the only reason I'm American. Mi mama, she made it across in time to give birth to me on U.S. soil. Many wish to come here, many don't make it. They are willing to pay to get across, whatever way they can. The border is being patrolled more and more, making it harder to find spots to cross. Some are making a fortune, off the life savings of these people. If I could find a way to do it, I would make sure many come here and find better lives."

"How much money does it cost, to get across?"

Keith's question had the others wondering as well.

"Five hundred dollars per head. They arrange to meet at a certain spot on the other side, then they bring them over in the middle of the night."

"How many come at a time?"

"As many as the car, truck, bus, whatever, can hold. It's a thirty mile dash to freedom, muchachos. They get dropped off in a safe area and they have to find a way to get from there, to where they want to go."

"Wait, you're telling me it's five hundred a head and it's as many as the thing will hold? So even taking five or so, that's twenty five hundred bucks right there."

"Si, there is much money to be made doing it, but the risk is just as high. It's some serious time in prison for importing illegals into the country. Just cross with some shit you don't declare and see how much they get in your face about it. How do you think they'd feel about bringing in a hundred illegals in a night?"

"Shit, fifty grand, man. Fifty fucking grand. Imagine making that in one night?"

Everyone tried to imagine Wally's words and what fifty grand was even like to see in their hands, at one time. It sparked a light in every one of them, a light that would continue to glow, with the desire to make it glow its brightest, when making that amount became a reality. Piney brought it back to the present quickly, not letting any of them drift off into thoughts of it.

"That ain't happening anytime soon, so let's focus on what we do have on the table and that's making this run as profitable as we can. I think we need to see just how much weight Wally can take, without looking like his bumper is scraping. I know that trunk is big enough to hold it all, just wondering if the shocks and springs can handle it."

"I can put some helpers on the leafs and that will stiffen them up and take more weight. Okay, I have an idea. Piney, Keith and Lenny, you weigh at least six hundred or more pounds in all, so you guys get in the back and that'll be the weight of the dope and more."

That made sense and they squeezed into the back seat and everyone looked it over, to see how much clearance was left. Tom had a thought and asked Wally to open the trunk. Wally opened it and then Tom asked the three to stand in the trunk together. They stepped in and held on for support. Now they saw that the weight hanging over the axle, made it drop twice as much.

The three jumped out and the Chev went back to it's normal height.

"Yeah, thought that might happen. If all the shit is in the trunk, it's going to bring the ass end down real low and they'll know you're carrying something heavy. Let's get those helpers and we can put those on. I'd like to ride with you Wally, if that's okay with you guys?"

"Fuck yeah, Tom. If your bike was up and running, you'd be riding with us. For sure come with Wally and help keep an eye out for shit."

"Cool, give me a chance to use those binoculars I picked up."