Redwood Nine: Season 02 Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Awww, shit, John. I'm sorry to hear that. My deepest sympathies to you. You lost your dad a while back too, didn't you?"

"Yeah, when I was ten. Guy hit him head on and he was dead before anyone got to him, they told me. Now I just lost the next best thing to my dad. Jake was like a father to me. He just gave me and Piney jobs, let us have the old building on his lot to use for our clubhouse. Shit, he sold me my bike and helped Piney and me fix ours up for free. He was teaching us about all kinds of shit and was going to help our club any way he could."

"Yeah, sounds like Jake. My dad has gone to him ever since he took it over and I can remember him giving me free pop when I was a kid and letting me do things. I liked going there and seeing him. I know how you could feel that way about him, John."

JT looked at the office and then to Needham.

"Any chance you can take me in and I can see where it happened?"

Officer Needham looked at JT and knew he shouldn't allow it, but knowing the circumstances, he felt obliged to let him say goodbye, or whatever his need to be there was.

"Okay, but just stand where I say you can and don't touch anything, understand?"

JT nodded and followed Kevin inside and into the living quarters. He ducked under the tape after Needham and stood looking at the blood-stained bed. He could tell by the amount of blood on the bed, where Jake had lain and bled out, dying where he lay. He looked at the other pools beside his and knew Marlene had been lying close beside him when it happened. He closed his eyes and fought back against the tears, holding on to the burning rage inside him. He would let those tears flow and quell the fires of vengeance in him, once justice was meted out, but not until.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, just hard to imagine, is all."

"Yeah, I guess it is. Hard enough when you see it happen, but when it's someone you know, it makes it ten times worse."

"Seen enough of my buddies die in 'Nam, also saved as many as I could, so they could come home too. I thought all that shit was over, when I left there. Now, I'm back and there's just as much fighting going on here, as there is over there. What? Is America at war with everybody, including itself?"

"You know, it almost seems that way, doesn't it? Unser was telling me about his time over there in the Marines and he had some pretty gruesome stories to tell. The last murder Charming had, was when those two drunks had it out with each other, over a bottle of booze no less and when the one drunk broke the bottle, the other one flipped out and bashed him in the head with the bat. That didn't bother folks much about it. This is going to cause some serious shit upstairs, when it all comes down. No one likes this happening in their town, they all want to live safe and sound, knowing the worst that could happen is a fire, or they get nailed for speeding."

JT nodded his head, agreeing with Needham, that what used to be, was a bunch of fond memories of days gone by. Today brought a new realization to Charming, one that would forever stain it's reputation and continue to grow bigger, as events played out. JT felt he'd seen enough and walked away, making sure he didn't disturb anything and went outside. The fresh air cleared his lungs of the taste of death in the air inside. He thanked Officer Needham and went down to his unit, where everyone was congregating.

The faces looked at him, each one wanting to see the man they hoped to see. He felt the steel wrapping his heart harden, with each step towards them. His emotions were being buried deeper and deeper inside him, being put away for a time they were needed and right now, they were the last things he wanted to distract him.

"Guys, come with me. We're going to the clubhouse, we need to talk."

Nothing else was said to anyone, as he got on his bike and primed it to start. He looked at the guys and gave them a look that he meant business, when he gave that order. The guys understood and without even a proper goodbye, they got on their bikes and prepared to ride, as JT started his and everyone followed. Throttles were twisted several times each, the engines belching out the exhaust notes. There was no need to worry about other guests being disturbed, for once they had been questioned, they were packed and out of the motel and on to destinations unknown.

The girls waved to them as they left, but got nothing in return, as all their attention was on JT, leading them away. The ride was fast and purposeful, to make the short distance in as short a time as possible, JT's need to get to the issue that he was focused on, dominating everything else. He stopped and opened the gate, then drove down to the clubhouse and parked in his spot. The others followed and everyone backed in to their positions. Otto was last, having closed the gate and locked it again. He stopped and brought a quiet to the compound, as JT unlocked the clubhouse and walked inside.

The others followed and went to the seating and waited for him, as he paced back and forth, obviously collecting his thoughts. When he was ready, he walked in front of them and looked at them with a look none had seen in him before, not even Piney. His words were calm, but filled with strength in their conviction, as he spoke to them.

"We have a new mission tonight. Forget the panelling, that can wait. This is all we are going to be doing, until it's done."

"What's that, JT?"

"I'll tell you what it is Piney. We're going to find the fucker who killed Jake and shot Marlene and fucked up everything we have and we're going to kill him ourselves. This guy isn't going to get off, or even spend time in jail and get out. No, this motherfucker is going down, by my hand."

The guys looked at him, unable to digest the words he just said. Murder was the farthest thing in anyone's mind, for what they were thinking it was about. As heads began wrapping themselves around it, JT could see he was being considered in a justifiable way. He knew they understood his reasoning and why he had to make this happen, but hearts were still swayed by the issue of laws.

"Tom, you know where everything is and how to get it. I want guns, enough for each of us. If we're thinking of getting them for the runs, we're not doing anything anyone hasn't already agreed on doing. All I'm saying, is we're going to use them on someone who deserves the bullets and you know he does. I know who shot Jake and Marlene and I want this fucker dead."

That statement had them look at JT, questioned looks on all of them, wondering how he could possibly know.

"Gus told us about Jake and Marlene's husband getting into it before and what happened. He told us this Brock guy has as bad a temper as Jake's. Who else would shoot them both? Look where they were shot, for fuck's sake, c'mon guys. It's him, Clive Brock, that did it and that motherfucker is history, when I see him."

No one could question his logic. Those that had heard Gus speak about it, knew JT was right in his words. They knew in their own hearts, that Jake was a well liked man by them and anyone who knew him. The blame kept aiming in the direction JT was looking at and they were coming to agree with his thinking. Piney voiced his concerns about it all.

"Okay JT, say it is him. How are we supposed to do this? Just walk up and put a bullet in him?"

"No Piney. Look, we have lots to go on, probably more than the cops. We know what kind of car it was. We know what the guy looked like. We know Brock lives outside L.A. somewhere, so we just need to find out through Marlene somehow, where he is and go there. When I was in the bedroom, I saw some of her stuff there and something might give us an address. I don't know how long they'll keep a cop at the motel, but the sooner we get in there and look around, the sooner we find what we need and get this guy."

Heads nodded, feeling they were doing a justifiable act. Jake had touched each of their lives in a positive way. He had made a difference in them and gave them back the gift of hope and the desire to dream again. Each one knew the patch on their back was there, in part, thanks to Jake. It became a matter of purpose, of respect paid to that man, for all he had done and who he was.

Tom said he knew of several contacts to get guns from and all he'd need is money to get them. The run money was more than enough to cover it and JT looked at them for a way to get into the bedroom and search for information.

"I'm your man there, JT. You give me a diversion and I'll be in and out in no time."

"What kind of diversion are you talking about?"

"Nothing much. Just keep the cop busy and his eyes off the office and I can use a flashlight to look around."

"Shouldn't be hard. The stuff I was talking about, is on the dresser and by the left side of the bed on the night table. I saw some envelopes and some letters by the bed and some of the stuff from her purse was on the dresser."

"We need to get that tonight. That'll all get picked up and put into evidence, then we'll never see it again."

"Then we do it tonight. This is on us, guys. We bring justice for Jake to this guy and we do it together. Hey, where's Clay?"

"Stockton. He's back in school again. I don't even know if he knows about this yet."

"Shit. Anyone know his number?"

Piney tapped JT's shoulder.

"Everything's in the office, JT. Jake has that book in the desk, with all the numbers in it."

"Right. Okay, Lenny, call Stockton and see if you can get a hold of Clay. Don't fucking say a word about Jake being dead, he'll end up trying to get here in some fucked up state and kill himself. I know he'll want to put a bullet in this guy, just as much as me. Just tell him it's club business and he has to be here now. Tom, see if you can get a hold of any of those guys you talked about and see what we can get our hands on. This time next week, I want to be reading about this fucker in the newspapers. Lenny, here's the keys to the office."

JT took the keys out of his pocket and tossed them to Lenny, then he and Tom headed over to begin making calls. JT looked at Wally and saw his attention peak, ready to do what he asked.

"Wally, roll a big, fucking joint and get me high."

JT ran both his hands through his hair, pulling it back tight, then let his head roll backwards.

"I don't know what I'd do without you guys, I really don't. Mom dying, now Jake murdered. I fucking lost it. Totally spazzed out into la la land. Moon got my head straight again at least. No idea what was in that tea they gave me, but I zoned out before I was finished drinking it. All I know is, I had some healing shit done to me and when I knew what was happening again, I was naked, sitting in the middle of them and they were all naked. I felt like I was in another world and none of this shit was there. Moon took me for a walk and we sat there on this cliff, looking out onto the valley and I could see shit, floating in the wind towards me. I had no idea what it was at first and then Moon told me they were answers. All I had to do was look and the right one would come to me. I asked him how and he said it would look different than all the others. I paid attention to the wind and there it was, shining brightly among all the other ones and it just came right to me."

The guys sat there listening to him and wondered just what he had taken and if he was still on it. He was saying the most bizarre things, as he toked away on the two paper joint.

"Seriously guys, it was exactly what I needed to hear and everything was alright. I was coming back to tell Piney about it, when I overheard them talking about Jake. I was thinking I should have asked for an answer and seen what I got, but what I'm thinking in my head right now, is as right as it'll ever get."

That started making sense of everything he said, despite the round about way of saying it. Those that really knew JT, knew that was his style and waited for the end, when it all made sense. No one could argue the point and no one wanted to. As every member thought more about it, they knew they would be feeling the same thoughts of revenge, as JT.

Lenny and Tom came back in and sat down and relayed what their calls got them.

"I called Clay and told him we had an emergency meeting and to get here as soon as he could, but not to break any speed limits, just to be here soon, so, less than an hour and he should be here."

"Thanks Lenny, we can deal with him once he's here. I have no idea how he's going to take this. Tom, what did you find out?"

"I got a hold of two of the guys I know and they both said they could help us out. The best we're looking at is army issue nines and both have ammo for anything they have."

"Great Tom. Any idea what we're looking at money wise?"

"One is good for twenty a unit, they other wants twenty five. Ammo is the same for both."

"Who do you like better to buy from?"

"My guy in Lodi. I know he's more, but he's always got quality stuff, never wants to deal anything shitty and get a bad name for it. Every piece he has is clean and untraceable. I could get them now and be back in less than an hour. Just have to go back and make a call and get Wally to drive me out there with the cash."

"I'll get you the cash, go make the call now and we'll get that over with."

Tom got up and headed back to the office, while JT went to the metal cabinet and opened the lock. He took the cash box out and opened it up. He counted off two hundred and fifty for ten guns and another hundred for ammunition for them all. He put the rest of the cash in the box and closed it, then put it back and wished there was far more in it, than there was now. He folded the bills and tucked them into the top pocket of his cut and went back to the arm chair and sat down, just in time for the joint to be passed to him.

Tom came back five minutes later, a look of expectation on his face.

"All set. Have to meet him in half an hour at a place not far off Kettleman. Just need the money and Wally and I'm on my way."

JT reached in his pocket and took out the folded bills and held them out to him.

"Enough there for ten guns and ammo for each of them. I figure a hundred should cover that?"

"More than enough. Want the change, or more ammo?"

"More ammo."

Tom looked at JT, taking a moment to ponder his motives for more ammunition, then Wally shook hands on his way past and joined him, heading outside and into Wally's Chev. The new exhaust and muffler worked well enough, that no sound of it was heard starting up, or leaving.

Piney had sat on the couch and remained quiet throughout everything, since they arrived. He'd been keeping his eye on JT and making sure he was who he was supposed to be. He was concerned this was all a facade and at any time, he would collapse under the pressure again. He was surprised to find his best friend handling everything quite well and staying on track, not dwelling on any of the misery he knew he must be feeling.

"You okay, JT?"

"Yeah Piney, why?"

"Just wondering. Not that I'm complaining, but I just figured you'd be handling things a bit differently, after this morning and all."

"Yeah, I can see why you'd be thinking that way. I lost it before, plain and simple. Just too much all at once and it fucked me up. I got it together now, don't worry."

Piney nodded his head, a couple of the others did as well, accepting his answer, but not completely convinced.

"What if the cops already know about Brock, JT?"

"Let's just hope they don't, Keith. He's ours to take care of."

"You're right set on doing this guy in, aren't ye?"

JT looked at Keith and then the others, seeing the same question on their faces.

"And you're not? This guy murdered the only man, most of us think of like a father and he shouldn't pay for that? I don't give a fuck if he was sleeping with Marlene, or not. He didn't deserve to die because of it."

"Aye, for that, he should pay. Jake was a decent man, no denying, that's for sure. I truly liked the man, so I did. I travelled the breadth of this entire country lads and it wasn't until I came to Charming, that I felt I'd found a place, where I'd like to stay. Truth, it was mostly you lads that convinced me, but I admit there was a part of me that stayed, because of Jake as well."

"Anyone else have any doubts, as to why Brock has to meet with some mayhem?"

"Mayhem?"

"Yeah, Piney, mayhem, as in madness and mayhem. You know what I'm talking about."

Piney looked at JT with different eyes, after hearing him mention that phrase. He thought back to Vietnam and some of the missions they went on. Warfare became disorganized and disruptive in the jungle sometimes and it was all a man could do to stay alive, was just shoot at anything he saw or heard. Shit happened because of it and he knew men had died by bullets, fired from their own rifles. They had called them M & M missions, madness and mayhem.

"JT, that shit happened in 'Nam. This is Charming. We don't have guys running around madly, shooting everything in sight."

JT looked at Piney with objection on his face.

"We don't? What do you call what the asshole who just shot up the motel, doing?"

Piney could see that JT was right in his thinking on it. This sort of act, was just like what happened in Vietnam, but it was happening here in Charming, instead.

"What the fuck is going on, JT? What happened from the time we left and came back? Nothing is the same anymore, nothing. It's like the whole country just got up and left and some other country, some fucked up one, took its place. It might look the same as the one we left, but nothing happening is the same."

"I told you, Piney. The whole country is fucked up and it's those assholes in the White House that are doing it. The only good news that's come out of that place in years, is that Johnson isn't in the running for re-election. That fucker has done more to ruin this country, than anyone else. I hate fucking politics, but having some asshole like him running the country, is it any wonder we're in the state we're in?"

"No shit, JT. I have to agree with all of that. Kennedy had some good ideas and I bet things would be a helluva lot different, if he wasn't shot. He was against this fucking war and didn't want to get involved, but they shot the poor bastard and that asshole Johnson jumped right in and got us into it anyway. If anybody should have been shot, it was that stupid fuckhead."

"I heard they're going to ship off seven hundred thousand soldiers this year, or next. The Tet Offensive back in January, has them all running around like chickens with their heads cut off. McNamara was saying it's winding down and now they're increasing troop deployment. Fuckers have no idea what the fuck they're doing."

"Do any of them, Lenny? All I want, is to live in a country that can get along with itself and a chance to have a decent job. Is that asking so much?"

"Nope, not at all. I want the same. I think we all want that, don't we guys?"

Every guy nodded and voiced an agreement to Piney's statement, as each felt it was their right to have that. The political debate went on for a bit longer, everyone adding their thoughts to the state of the nation and what they wished would happen. The blaring exhausts notes of Clay's Triumph, cut through the walls and let the guys know he had arrived. They waited for him to come in and greeted him, then gave him a seat beside JT and opened a beer for him. Clay was grateful for the attention, but felt the increase in tension coming from the guys. He assumed it was the issues that he was here to vote on and waited to hear what it was, as he sipped at his beer.

JT lit up a joint and took a good toke, before passing it to Clay. He waited until he finished blowing the smoke out, before he started talking.