Redwood Nine: Season 03 Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He and Piney put the boots over the plug ends and then JT asked Free to go in and start it up. The engine cranked over several times, then it burst into life, chugging through the build up, clearing it out eventually, to run smoother. Piney grabbed a screwdriver and adjusted the carb settings, making it idle properly. JT revved it up a couple of times and Free laughed in happiness at how it sounded.

"You're a magician, JT. I can't wait to drive it again."

"Jump in, we should check the brakes and steering, make sure this thing is safe to drive."

Free climbed in and sat behind JT, while Piney sat opposite him. JT closed the door with the handle and put it in gear.

"I'm coming to your shop tomorrow, JT. Piney offered to go over it front to back."

"Good on you, Piney. I was thinking that myself, when I was at the store. Speaking of which, those guys were really good at helping me get the right parts for this thing. It's not exactly considered a popular model most people buy."

"Maybe so, but we couldn't ask for a better vehicle. We'll have to live in it, as we go across country and carry everything we need. Moon told me how you transformed his dead microbus into a living thing again. He's using it to go to New York, he trusts in what you've done to it. We laughed the day they left, to go to Calaveras and said it would never make it. As it turns out, Fate brought it as far as your shop and decided to introduce you to each other."

JT slowly pulled out of the back yard and onto the street, feeling for any signs of trouble in the steering and brakes. He crept along, listening for any unwanted noises and sped up, shifting into second. The old school bus ground through the gears, as it got up to speed.

"I'm beginning to understand Fate a lot more now. I used to think things were just coincidence, but it seems a bit more planned than that. There's always a reason stuff happens, so it turns out."

"Very wise observation, JT. It's true, that Fate always has a reason for things happening. It's up to us to understand what that reason is. If we can't understand the reason and accept it, we become disappointed in life and feel the world is against us."

JT nodded his head in agreement to Free's words, understanding his own feelings from a year ago and the reasoning for the club. Society's failure to accept them was his reason to create it and Fate played its part by bringing the members together. It had brought Jake into their lives, Moon and the commune combining for survival. Fate was just as willing to give, as it was to take away.

The gears kept grinding each time JT shifted and gave a worried look to Free.

"Dude, I think the clutch is pretty well shot."

"How do you know?"

"Because it grinds through each gear. It's not disengaging properly."

"That's why it does that, I didn't know that. It's done that for a while now."

"I can tell. Take it easy coming out tomorrow and hope it lasts. A new clutch is going to have to go in this thing for sure. The brakes don't feel all that great either, feel pretty soft. So you'll need brakes as well. Oil and filter, lube everything good, check the suspension and steering, all the other shit that supposed to work. Even if I did it for free, it's still a lot of money to fix this thing."

"How much are we talking about, JT?"

"Close to a thou' easy. Parts ain't cheap, Free."

"I didn't even pay that much when I bought it."

"Look, let's not wear this thing out any more than we need to. Let's get back and talk about it there."

Free's face took a look of despondency, as well as failure upon hearing any plans to travel, were now out of the equation. JT pulled into the driveway and stopped in the yard. They went back inside and joined the others having a good time. Free turned the music down to get their attention and told them the bad news about the bus. The mood went immediately sullen, the previous talk of enjoying the concert, vanishing like the smoke out the window.

JT saw how it affected everyone, including his own club, knowing their situation was much the same as Moon's and charity was a way of life. He knew it was futile to think of the problem and worked on a solution. It didn't take him long, until something came to him.

"You got a phone I can use?"

"Yeah, on the kitchen wall."

"Might be long distance to Stockton, is that okay?"

"If it gets us a bus, make the call, JT."

"Cool."

JT went in and dialled the number for Gus and waited.

"Gus here."

"Gus, JT. How are you old dude?"

"Just fine, punk. How are you, son?"

"Great, Gus."

Gus liked the poke in reference to Benny's slight from before and laughed.

"What can I do for you?"

"I was wondering if you had a line on any buses, like an old school bus?"

"Sure. Know of two right off."

"Short, or long?"

"Both shorter. No one wants them, all want the long ones."

"Hang on a sec."

JT covered the mouthpiece and called in to Free.

"Do you care if it's a short bus?"

"How many can it hold?"

"Short one will hold six to eight and room in the back."

"That works. How much and does it run well?"

JT talked to Gus again and explained the need for a good runner.

"Both are good runners. One's in better shape than the other. Good one, I'm looking for seven and the other I'd let go for five, maybe four."

"How about the good one and a trade in?"

"What you trading in?"

"It's a runner, but needs a clutch and the brakes are soft."

"I could go down to five for it then."

"Hang on again, Gus."

JT got Free's attention again.

"He's got a good one for seven, but said he'll give it to you for five, on a trade in for the old one. What do you think?"

"Will it cost much to fix up? No sense in paying the same for another one."

"Hey Gus, this good one, how much to make it safe and reliable for a long distance trip?"

"Not much, JT. Engine and tranny are good, nothing wrong there. Brakes felt good when I drove it in. I think all the lights work, not sure though. No broken glass anywhere, that's a plus, don't many that don't"

"So, maybe a hundred or so to bring it up to speed?"

"That would be my guess too. Like I said, she's a good runner as it is, but a hundred will make it last a good long time."

"Free, Gus swears it won't be more than another hundred and it will get you anywhere you need to go. So, six hundred sound good?"

"Oh yeah. Tell him it's a deal, I'll take it. Ask him how long he'll hold on to it for me, until I can get all the money together."

"What do you mean, you don't have the money?"

"No way, man. I have to see a few friends and see what I can scrape together. Give me a week or two and I should have it all by then."

"Shit, Free. I can't ask him to do that. He buys and sells and money talks, bullshit walks."

JT thought on it for a minute.

"Yeah Gus, it's a deal, he'll take it. I'll bring the old one in and take the other one. I'll take it to the shop and go over it there. I'll have the cash for you when I arrive. Thanks, Gus, that's a favour I owe you."

"You don't owe me nothing, son. You're putting money in my pocket and it's me who should be thanking you and owing a favour."

"Call it even then Gus. Puts us both ahead in the end."

"That it does, my boy. So when you coming?"

"A little later on. I'm in San Fran right now and I got a pile of nuts and bolts to get to you. If I don't see you by dinner time, send out a search and rescue team."

"Which way you heading over?"

"The same way I came."

"Smart ass, like I know that."

Laughter came from both receivers and the two finished up and JT hung up the phone.

"JT, I heard you say you'd pay him when you got there, I just told you we don't have the money yet."

"You owe me now, Free. I can cover the up front money for it and when you collect it all, we're good."

Free looked at JT, then to Moon, his face showing the emotion of surprise, mixed with the sheer joy of JT's charity.

"It is that good and loving heart that I told you about, Free. I was just as taken by his kindness to us, in our time of need."

Free took a hold of JT by the arms, his love of him showing clearly and pulled him into a hug.

"I love you, my brother. Your spirit is good and runs true in its direction. Listening to Moon describe things out at the commune, it seems Fate keeps playing a hand in causing that interference. Riding on the line all the time, must be hard to do. Wanting a life of peace and happiness and having troubles and misery come instead, can feel like a life of consequence. Even though your heart is filled with love and want nothing untoward come to you, trouble finds its way there regardless."

Every member felt the words hit home, the truth in their hearts as to who they were, believed more than the hype generated by the media as to who they were. People in town were taking to them a bit more and some were truly enjoying their presence. It wasn't hard to judge which images projected were true and which ones weren't.

Present tally of crimes committed to date aside, none of it was sought after, other than a profitable ride south and back. Tom's retail business had a steady and growing number of clients, providing a very healthy monthly balance from it. The farm was fully operational and the shop and clubhouse were complete, taking no more from expenses and adding to the overall wealth of the club. The bikes were almost finished and it was all profit from there on out. Sharing their own good fortune with others, always seemed to come back and with greater reward for the generosity shown. This exchange would have to be given time, to see what rewards were returned and in what form they came in.

"It gives us a good reason to stay in touch and see one another again."

"I will, JT. You are good people, you and your club. I have truly enjoyed, so have we all, having you come and meet with us and share. As a token of our new friendship together, let me break off some more hash for you all to enjoy back at the farm."

"Really? Cool, Free, I love that shit. We don't get much of that where we are, so this will be great to have for those special occasions."

"JT, smoke as much and as fast as you wish. If you run out, let me know and it gives us another reason to meet again."

"Count on a visit regularly, then. We love the herb, but this is so mellow, man. Just a totally awesome high."

"Good, good."

Free took the plate of hash and snapped off more than a quarter of it and went into the kitchen for tinfoil. He handed it to JT and shook his hand again.

"You deserve much for your kindness, JT, all of you do. Now, where is this place in Stockton and when do we go?"

"Actually Free, it's better if one of us takes it out there, just in case it is ready to die. We have no problems getting a tow and getting where we need to go. Only thing you need to do is clean out your stuff and sign the title. I'll get the new one ready for you and give you a call. The only thing you'll need to do is bring your paints and go to town on it."

"I do like that idea, JT. How soon do you think it'll be?"

"Shouldn't take long to go over all the major areas and see what state its in. If Gus said it would only take a hundred, I might even do better than that. Jimmy Eight and a Half owes me a favour or two, so he might give me parts at his cost. I don't need anything for the service, it'll be nice to get back to that part of things again."

"Who's Jimmy Eight and a Half?"

"Oh, a guy we know at the parts store. Lost a finger and a half in an accident. He misses Jake and the fun he had with him, too."

"Moon told me of your loss and I can understand how it will change your life. The tear in that bond is very painful to your spirit."

"That's exactly how it felt. Everyone who knew him felt that way. He was that kind of guy, you liked instantly. I really didn't get to be with him that long, but it felt like losing my dad all over again."

"It's interesting when strangers can become part of your life and mean so much to you, never understanding what the real reason for it is, but it is all powerful in its feeling, in how they affect you."

The spaced out minds of everyone tried comprehending what the two were talking about, but there was a distinct dazed look on all of them. JT looked at them and smirked and turned to Free, hefting the hash in his hand.

"We are going to be soooooo wasted."

"Remember to pray to your guardian angels and thank them for the gifts. Karma is Fate's accomplice in the game of life and has cards of its own to play. You get back what you put out there. Always remember that, JT. What goes around, comes around. Part of the circle of life, like birth and death."

"I will. I thought the whole guardian angel thing was a bit more hokey than praying was, until I got to see it happen. Now, I talk to them every day. Some strange shit happening that we can't see, but it's there, man, it really is."

"Be thankful for your gift of sight and belief, some never achieve it, because they refuse to truly believe."

JT and Free looked at Dreamer, who had sat quietly the whole time and now spoke.

"Shit Dreamer, I thought you were zoned and weren't even with us."

"I smelled Poppy and realized I wasn't zoning, when she kissed me. Then I noticed everyone else was here and thought I was somewhere else. Now I'm like, back together and getting caught up."

"So, tell me what you thought of it."

"Far, fucking out, man. That was one of the best batches yet. I think they got the formula down right, now. Tell them this batch is twice as good as the last, it hits faster and lasts way longer."

"Excellent. Anything shitty happen?"

"No way, man. Fucking awesome trip."

JT and the others had no idea what Dreamer was talking about with Free. As no one had asked why he was sitting in the corner all spaced out looking in the first place, they had no knowledge of a tiny drop of liquid on a blot of paper and the incredible change in what the mind saw.

"Just coming off an acid trip, JT. I have friends who are developing this stuff in the labs at Berkeley. They've been trying to get the dosage right and Dreamer did the first hit, to test it out. Looks like they've got the formula right now."

"He's on acid?"

"Not just any acid my friend, this shit is out there. They call this batch, Purple Haze. It's better than the Strawberry Alarm Clock they made last time. Half the dose and twice the high."

"Never done acid before. Anyone else done acid?"

JT looked at his club and the commune, finding only the commune had done it before.

"So, what's the high like?"

"Like nothing you've ever imagined. You'll see shit that isn't there and feel like you can fly. Your mind thinks of things it would never do when you're straight."

"So riding is definitely out."

"Oh shit, yeah, riding is out. You want to be with some straight people around to make sure your trip is a pleasant one. Seen a couple of people freak out and lose it."

"So, why the fuck do the shit, if it fucks you up like that?"

"It's the same risk you take walking across the street, did it hundreds of times and then that one time, pow, hit by a bus. The chance to go on the greatest head trip in your life awaits you, if you have the courage to do it, you just have to say yes."

The guys looked leery of getting into it, while their girls were eager to experience it without reservation. Having done peyote and mescaline already, they knew where the psychedelics would take them and imagined it the way Free described. JT was looking like a firm no to accepting the offer, when Suzy and Azure spoke up and stopped him.

"Baby, the girls would like to try it. How about we do it and you guys look after us?"

The other girls affirmed her words and he looked at the guys, not finding any real opposition to the idea, so he agreed to accepting some acid blotters. Free went up another flight of stairs and came back soon with a small sheet of paper.

"Here's thirty hits. Just tear off a tiny square along the perforated lines and that's a hit. If I know girls and acid, it should be a fun time."

"Okay, I'm still not sure about doing this. It might be okay for you younger ones to try, but what will it do to me?"

Eyes turned to Marlene, Phoenix's arm holding her close.

"Age has never been an issue so far. I know a couple of guys in their forties who've done it and everything was cool with them."

"So I won't go crazy or anything, will I?"

"It might feel like it when you're high, but it all goes away after you come down."

"How long is that?"

"Anywhere from three to five hours, all depends on the person."

"That long? Will you take care of me for that long, Baby?"

"I'll take care of you always, Fire Spirit."

That was the first time anyone had heard Marlene's new name. Cindy was squished up against her on the couch and leaned in.

"I love that name for you. It's so you, to the max."

Everyone else started complimenting Marlene on her choice and Phoenix sat quietly smiling, happy with his choice for her. The worry of age and acid had passed, the security of loving friends more of a comfort than words.

"Okay, this has been an awesome, and I do mean awesome meet, man. I'll see what the girls are like and then I'll see if I want to rearrange a few million brain cells and send them on a journey. I'll call you real soon, Free and let you know when the new bus is ready. Don't forget the paint and stuff and we'll have a painting party and make it look like the old one. Speaking of which, we don't have much daylight left to do this, so Free, loved meeting you brother and thanks once again for the head treats."

"JT, I feel blessed for knowing you and knowing you and your club are good people. We'll start thinking of how we want to paint it and wait for your call. Take care, man, I hope the trip is good and nothing goes wrong."

The two hugged and that signalled everyone else to say their goodbyes and get ready to go. Once outside, the steady billow of smoke followed them. As everyone headed to their bikes, it became apparent as to who would ride JT's bike back. Phoenix walked up and said he would, making JT consider it. He had rode the Honda with no problem and was big enough to handle the heavy Harley, so he allowed him to do it. Lenny would lead now, while Phoenix rode with Piney at the back, so he could keep an eye on him. JT got in the bus and started it up, shaking Free's hand one more time and closing the folding doors. The gears ground into reverse and JT slowly backed out and onto the street. The formation got ready and Lenny signalled JT to head out.

Hands waved for as long as they could, then distance lost them in traffic and the trek to Gus' began. JT was sweating through every stoplight, hoping he would stop and get it into gear again. Phoenix couldn't take the smile off his face, he was enjoying it so much. Piney couldn't help but smile back, knowing the exhilaration of what he was feeling. Once the highway was reached, worries lessened, as the bus kept up to the speed limit with no difficulties.

The ride back was going well, the traffic not too heavy and easy to get through. Coming back along the 580 out of Livermore, JT spotted the long line of lights coming up from behind. It was hard to make out how many, but he knew it was at least twenty, or more bikes. He looked back and could see the guys saw them as well. Wally and Moon trailed behind a bit further and saw the bikers as they passed. The winged flaming skull of Satan's Disciples was on every back and they made their way up beside the club.

No looks were exchanged by the other club as they passed, showing no recognition to them, then they slowed once they were abreast of them. JT was keeping his eye on them, ready to do anything if they threatened the guys. He saw left hands coming off the bars and reaching into their cuts and knew death was moments away. He swerved into the other lane ahead of the bikers and slowed down, letting his club speed ahead, while the gang was avoiding a collision with him. When Wally and Moon were almost beside him, he slammed on the brakes as hard as he could and braced himself.