Redwood Nine: Season 03 Ch. 05

Story Info
Saints and Sinners.
9.8k words
4.77
5.6k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ch. 5 Saints and Sinners

The enemy's movements towards the border brought about another mission for Clay and the Sky Soldiers of Tropic Lightning. The C-130 dropped open the back deck to empty blackness, not a light below to know what was there. Eyes were peeled on the red light, waiting for it to change to the green one and the smell of fear was strong in the cargo hold. Clay was at the lead, his hand on the tether strap, looking outside, then turned to give a last second instruction.

"We land and form up at the rendezvous. No one be late for the party."

Heads nodded, while faces said nerves were at a peak. The flight deck commander heard they were less than a minute from the drop off point and readied the men. The green light flashed and Clay was off the deck and falling rapidly. His chute popped open and he looked up and watched the others exiting behind him. He could see the stars being blocked by the black canopies, as one after the other opened above him. He turned his attention to the ground and looked for flashes of gunfire at them.

Clay had his machine gun at the ready, his eyes scanning the terrain for any signs, when the first bullets started coming at them. Only a brief flash of light let them know the enemy's position and how many were firing at them, their bullets silently coming up from below. Clay sprayed several bursts into the area, mostly to send the VC undercover and give them time to land. The bullets had little affect on determent, as flashes continued to be seen.

Clay let the machine gun dangle from the strap, as he unhooked two grenades and pulled the pins. He judged the positions and tossed the fist sized armaments down. Just as the bullets covertly found their way up, the grenades did the same and none of the enemy knew they were coming down, exploding a second or two apart, ending anymore gunfire at them. Clay readied his weapon again and waited to shoot, but let it go and took the lines in his hands, as he neared the ground.

He broke through the branches and landed, though his chute was caught above him. He peered into the ebony jungle, his ears listening for sounds, then took out his knife and cut his lines free. He shucked off the harness and heard his men landing behind him. One by one they joined up with him and took positions to defend themselves. In whispers, Clay took a count of his men and two were unaccounted for. They waited another two minutes and Clay knew they had to move out, whether they showed up or not.

They fanned out and began moving forward, their silent footfalls bringing them closer to danger. They had no idea how many of the enemy were killed by them on the way down, or what defensive position they had taken. The crack of a branch ahead had everything stop, not a breath was taken, as ears listened for another sound. The silence was shattered a second later by gunfire and mortar shells exploding around them. Return fire started and bullets were sprayed in the direction anyone thought the sounds came from. Flashes of exploding light lit up the blackness around them, glimpses of where they were granting them some bearings. Clay ordered the men to move their position and split them up. Five men went to the right flank, while Clay led the men with him to the left. Shells kept exploding around the area they were in, tracer bullets finding the area and shredding the trees to splinters.

Covertly they traversed another hundred yards forward, then several grenades were hurled at the location of the mortar and the machine guns. In the brightness of bomb bursts, bodies were flung in arcs of disarray, then Clay and the others opened fire on them, spraying bullets into the night. Clay had his men rush the encampment, ready to kill any survivors, then the men on the right came in right after. Bodies were mutilated, torn apart by the blasts, while others writhed in agony. Those that were left, soon dropped their guns and surrendered to them.

"Fuck 'em. Kill them all."

The men heard Clay's orders, but were hesitant to fire upon the prisoners. Clay saw their hesitation and began putting short bursts into the wounded, then turned his machine gun on the ones holding their hands up. Some began to flee for their lives, but the others knew they couldn't escape and opened fire on them. No more sounds could be heard, as the last body dropped and the air became still again. The thick vegetation absorbed the sound rapidly, then insects and nocturnal wildlife masked the kill. Bodies were left where they were, while their armaments were gathered and a charge set to go off long after they were gone, then the hike back to the pick up began.

Feet trod as light as they could, no one making any more sound than they wanted to. Clay shot his hand up in a fist, halting anymore movement. He squinted hard, trying to make out the shapes through the trees. He couldn't see any movement of them, so he had the men move forward, careful to avoid an ambush of any kind. They were twenty yards away from the two shadowy figures, when Clay halted them again. He had them stay put, as he crept forward, the tension making him sweat and drip into his eyes.

He wiped them quickly and re-focused his attention again and saw the shapes were men. He studied them as best he could and then moved forward, making a noise as he walked, his barrel pointed at them and ready to fire. In the darkness, it was hard to make out details, but the lines hanging from the trees to them, made it apparent what happened to the other two members of their team. Carefully he approached them, always on guard against a possible booby trap. He reached out to the first one and checked for a pulse on his neck and his hand came away bloodied. He went to the other and knew there was no need to check for signs of life. Half of the head was missing in the back, remnants of grey matter clinging in strands from the skull.

He pulled their dog tags and motioned for the others to join him. They approached just as carefully as Clay had done and witnessed for themselves, the gore of war's brutality. Clay took out his knife and slashed the cords holding the bodies up. He shouldered one, while Private Ken Kennedy took the other. The way was slow going, but after hours of trekking through the jungle, the pick up crew was waiting for them. The bodies were loaded on board and the team sat on either side of them and silently thanked God that it wasn't them instead.

JT rode into Charming with Lenny and Piney, stopping at the Hairy Dog. Wilbur was happy to see them and offered them a drink on the house. Lenny and Piney took the free beers offered, but JT took out his cash and paid for them instead.

"So Will, any signs of bikers since then?"

"Nope, JT. Not a one. I am seeing a half dozen or so coming in and they look like death walking. That shit has a hold of them and they need help getting over it."

"I don't know anything about helping them, but I have seen some of the ones you mentioned, giving us some very nasty looks when we pass by."

"Of course. You took their source away. You're the cause of their misery."

"So, now what? We let them have the shit and everything's cool?"

As they were discussing the issue, the door opened and D.C Unser walked in and came up to the bar.

"Hey guys, saw the bikes outside and thought I'd see what's going on."

"According to Will, no more dealing is going on in here, but he said there's a bunch of people who are hooked on the shit and hate us for getting the bikers busted."

"That right? Who are these folks, Will?"

"You know them, Officer Unser. Tim Hargrave is one. Kyle, what's his name....Jennings is another. Lowell Harland and his buddy, Jimmy Franks. A bunch more. Not hard to spot them. Like I was saying to JT, they look like death walking."

"Yeah, have seen that look on a few people I've seen around town lately. This is because of that shit they were taking, right?"

"You got it, Wayne. Stopping the supply isn't the end of this. They need some help getting over the withdrawal symptoms."

"How we supposed to do that, JT? I can't force them to seek treatment."

"Maybe not, Wayne, but they need it just the same."

"You got any ideas on it then, Piney?"

"No, but something's got to happen. Can't have them out there wasting away on the street."

"Great, just when I think it's over, it's actually just beginning."

"You can wait until they commit an offence and force them into treatment can't you? Sort of like a condition of some kind?"

"Sure, but what crime do I let happen, before I do that, Lenny?"

"Hopefully nothing too bad."

"Wayne, I know it's bullshit, but are we supposed to let those people suffer because of stupid rules and shit?"

"Of course not, JT, but my hands are tied by the law that I'm sworn to uphold."

"What about the mayor, or city council doing something? Can't they vote some bullshit rule that allows you to do that?"

"I guess I can talk to his Honour and see what he thinks. You want to come with me and help explain all this to him?"

"Me? Like I'm an authority on this."

"You know a shitload more than I do, so yeah, you're an authority."

"If you think I can help, okay, let's talk to him."

"I'll give his office a call and see when he can see us."

"Fuck calling, Wayne. Just go and tell them you need to see him, because it's a matter of life and death and a possible crime wave, or something."

"Wish it was that simple, Piney."

"Let's make it that simple then, Wayne. Come on, let's go see the high and mighty and tell them what's happening in our town."

Wayne looked at JT and the others and saw it was a serious proposal. He ceded to any more contradiction to it and agreed. He said bye to those in the bar and went to his cruiser, while JT left money on the counter and told Will not to let Lenny and Piney enjoy themselves too much. JT went out and started up his bike and followed Unser to city hall and parked beside him in the 'Authorized Vehicles Only' parking. Wayne looked at him and pointed to the sign, making JT laugh.

"I'm here on official police business, I'm authorized."

Wayne had to laugh out loud and the pair entered the building. They rode up to the top floor and went into the office, where the mayor's secretary asked how she could help them.

"We need to see his Honour right away, Louise. Seems there's an issue that needs attending to immediately and we need to discuss it with him."

Louise began looking in the appointment book and JT stopped her.

"Louise, we meant like now, not a day or a week from now."

"I can't just put you in anywhere you want, he has a schedule to adhere to."

"That schedule is going to change anyway, unless we talk to him immediately."

Louise looked at the seriousness on their faces and wondered what it was that was so important, but pushed the intercom button and hailed the mayor. She told them who was outside waiting to see him and the importance of their need to see him and he replied to send them in, in a couple of minutes.

Wayne and JT took a seat and waited, until the mayor's door opened and they saw Brent Oswald come outwith the mayor. They exchanged pleasantries and then Oswald walked to the door, acknowledging Unser with a nod, but complete denial to show JT any recognition. The mayor ushered them into his office and had them sit, while he went around and sat in his over-stuffed executive chair.

"So, Deputy Chief Unser, Mr. Teller, how may I help you? I have a few minutes to spare, so please be brief."

"We have a problem with the junkies that are left, after the bust we did. It stands to reason that they're going to do something to get the next fix and crime ain't out of the question. I've looked this up and talked to people and they agree, they need help, but we can't force them to. We're hoping you and the council can find some way to make them, so we don't have any problems with them."

"How many of these, 'junkies', are we talking about?"

"As far as we know, not that many, maybe a half dozen or so."

"Can't you just lock them up?"

Unser tried not to take the reply too seriously, as he replied.

"I can't do anything, unless they commit a crime. You have the only authority to pass something and then I can enforce it. I just don't want anything bad happening to anyone, junkie or not."

"I'll talk to the council and see what can be done. Do you have anything to add, Mr. Teller?"

"Not much, other than what Deputy Chief Unser has said and that addicts aren't in their right minds, especially when they need the drug. It doesn't matter who, or what, if they can get high, that's all that matters. I'd hate to see some of the old ladies downtown getting mugged for their cash, or a home getting ransacked for anything valuable and maybe hurting the people inside. It's really bad shi..stuff that they were taking and they need help getting off of it. If they consent to go to hospital, I know they can get them off it and as long as nothing is available, they won't get back on it, hopefully."

"I'm beginning to see the threat here. I'll put a call out right away and have an emergency meeting called for tonight. Last thing we need here in Charming, is any more crime and murders."

"Couldn't agree with you more, your Honour."

"I'll get in touch with the Chief and let him know what we can do, if anything. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Deputy Chief. It's nice to know you're doing your best to keep our citizens safe. I wasn't sure about you and your club, Mr. Teller, but so far, you've proved yourselves to be model citizens, I'm thankful for what you've done for this town and it's people. I hear them talk quite highly of you."

"You're very welcome, your Honour and we'll continue to be so. We love our town and always want to see it this way. If we see anything going on, we'll be in touch with Deputy Chief Unser immediately."

Mayor chuckled to himself, as he looked at them both.

"Who'd a thought the cops and a bike gang would work together?"

"Your Honour, we'd rather not be thought of as a bike gang, we're just guys who like to ride motorcycles and be like everyone else is. Gang just makes us sound like criminals."

"I have to agree with you there, Mr. Teller, you certainly don't act like those gangs west of us and south of us for that matter."

"Thank you, sir and please, call me JT, everyone does."

"Very well then, JT. Again, a pleasure to see you. Now, I have a meeting to attend and I'm running late. I'll let you know what we come up with. Good day, gentlemen."

There was nothing left to do but shake the mayor's hand and walk outside. JT pulled out his cigarettes and popped one in his mouth, then offered Wayne one. Wayne looked around and said they should go around the corner, so eyes weren't watching them. Wayne took the smoke and a light from JT and exhaled loudly.

"Thanks JT. So, think we got through to him well enough?"

"Yeah, he seems to have gotten the seriousness of it. I think he knows we've had enough troubles in town and he wants it to end, so he can seek another term. It's nice having him on our side though. I'm glad he doesn't mind the club being in town."

"After what you guys did last year for my dad and the raffle, he'd be an ass to go against you. Folks here really like you guys. Not a day that I don't hear somebody mentioning you guys and saying something good about you."

"Really? Cool. Like I said Wayne, anything we do that's skirting the law, it all happens outside our borders. I don't want you getting on our case about shit."

"I'd hate to do that, JT, I really would."

"Yeah, it's tough to have to bust your buddies."

Wayne looked at JT and smiled, always enjoying being called a buddy. His youth was spent on the fringe, never fitting in and making the real connection with another guy as a good friend. Here he was more than ten years later and the one group who had accepted him, still wanted him to be a part of them. He dropped his smoke and crushed it with his foot and held his hand out to JT.

"I like you, JT. I like thinking that I have friends, ones who do right by me and you have."

"Like wise, Wayne. You're a good guy, even with the badge. You don't shove it in our faces and act like a big shot. You're alright, man."

JT shook his hand and the two walked around the corner and went to their vehicles.

"I'll talk to you soon, Wayne. Let's see what the leaders can do about our problem."

"Yeah, I won't hold my breath. Take care out there, JT."

"You too, Wayne."

JT fired up the Harley, ending any more conversation between them. They nodded to each other and headed off in different directions, Wayne to cruise the streets and JT heading off to the Hairy Dog to get Piney and Lenny, then to the clubhouse to talk to the guys.

The same two men in the old, Ford pick up were parked across the street from where they were. Once JT and Unser left the scene, they started up and did U turn, heading back to Lodi to inform the other members of the club about their findings. Once told, there was no accepting the Sons as a possible 'friendly' club, their fate decided by their alliance with the police.

JT sat with the club and discussed the situation with them. Most felt they had done enough already to help, but JT assured them that they were part of the reason they had junkies wandering the streets. It was apparent that every action they did, ended up with a consequence and like it or not, they had to follow through. He reminded them that the addicts were good people at one point and had succumbed to the evils of heroin by coercion, not choice. Given a chance to decide, after knowing what would happen to them, they would have declined that first offer.

It still didn't appease everyone's feelings of duty, leaving almost half opposed to the idea. JT could understand their reluctance, knowing it had nothing to do with them personally, but tried again in finding a common ground to understanding.

"Let's say it was some of the commune that were junkies now, would you deny them any help?"

No one said they would, but argued that they weren't.

"We sat here a few months ago and we all agreed that we needed this town behind us, correct?"

Agreements were given.

"How is this not part of helping them? They sure as shit didn't wake up one morning and say, 'Hey, I think I'll start shooting up heroin and become a junkie', did they?"

"No, JT, but why are we getting involved in it?"

"Because we care. Stop looking at now and look down the road on this. If no one does anything, what's to stop more assholes from coming here and turning people on to that shit? Unser and the rest of the force don't know squat about the stuff and sure as shit don't know how to deal with junkies going off the deep end looking for a fix. This puts us in that position we want and pretty well keeps us there. I just talked to the mayor and he said the people here really like us, they think we're alright guys and don't mind all the noise we make, because we do good shit for the town. We have our town guys, let's show them we care about it."

No one replied, as they pondered what JT had said. They had wanted the town on their side, but only to conduct their criminal enterprises without reprisals. The protests to stop big business had gained them nothing, except to endear them with the townsfolk more. Thinking past the obvious in their minds, they could see why their president wanted them on board with him and help take care of the citizens who had been hurt by the actions of others. It made sense to go the extra distance and firmly secure themselves in the town's minds, as someone who cared.

There was always a reason JT wanted things to happen, it just took him a long time and a lot of talking to get to the conclusion. It began making sense to those opposed and brought a common understanding to them all. The town was theirs, they had to take care of it. They decided to continue the conversation over lunch and headed into town to Lumpy's restaurant. They were riding along the main street, coming into the downtown core, when shouts and yells caught their attention. They spotted a man running along the sidewalk and the store owner of the convenience mart trying to chase him. The owner fumbled his step and fell, tumbling across the concrete, as the thief ran down an alley between two stores.