Remembrances Of Sweden

Story Info
My grandfather left Sweden for the U.S.A.
1.2k words
4.17
6.9k
0
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As a young and poor man, my grandfather George Sigfred Nelson left Sweden for the U.S.A.... I believe as a stowaway on a coal ship. Soon, he had to fight in WW2 on a minesweeper where he lost a lung. He persevered and become a successful draftsman, eventually even winning America's top prize for architecture and building a very small fortune, and retiring to Talent, Oregon(the basic area where my family still lives) where he became famous for his long daily walks, and taught me how to play chess.

My grandma Dorothy Genevive Nelson, who was part of all of this, was also a Swede he met in the Swedish district of Chicago; She liked Swedish decorations and liked to talk to me about what she had heard about Sweden. My grandpa was not a very talkative man but did teach me "Tak so mekka" (thank you) and "vor so gut." (you're welcome)

He had passed away when at 16, I decided to pursue what turned out to be 3 months abroad; Having read "Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse I first wanted to go to India but not having my parent's approval for this idea, I decided on Sweden. I must warn you this will be an incomplete account for a number of reasons: 1.) I'm a busy young American writer in poor health 2.) There are circumstances connected with the trip which would give me occasion for very minor embarassment, and also for dredging up and explaining a very old perceived wrong and resentment

When I first arrived in Sweden, I stayed with a family who lived on a very small farm by the island of Oland; they commuted in to work. I particularly remember the mother who kindly welcomed me. We had some talks on the way to Oland, the literal substance of which I don't recall, but some emotion or nature sticks with me. The son, a brisk athletic young fellow, reached out to me but no real friendship ever developed.

There also was a 16 year old girl: a pretty pleasant sort. She had a horse she liked to ride; Out of courtesy, she invited me to her 16th birthday party, where there were other pretty girls and I drank with some young Swedish guys. We had a good time; they taught me how to drink out the brains of a crayfish as a chaser, which strangely enough was not a prank but a delicious and common Swedish party tradition. It was my first drinking party, and as chance would have it, I still have the pictures.

This was not meant to be a permanent family: the woman was going off to work in China for awhile. So my next stop was Harnosand, a small coastal city of great importance only historically; This was the height of the trip. I stayed with a businessman of conservative political opinions; it speaks to something that even he(who thought the taxes were too high) explained to me proudly about Sweden's social safety net, etc.

I stayed in the basement here where there was a darts board and I practiced quite a bit... achieving some excellence as the sport was not new to me. He also had a library that I thought was decent at the time; it was mainly on inspirational and business subjects and the presence of books comforted me. Don't get me wrong, he was a good fellow with a pleasant sense of civilization that I remember.

At school, there was a woman who gave me Swedish lessons every morning: I liked to lay back but she perceived that my brain worked anyway and generously allowed it, creating between us a feeling of friendliness that lasts to this day. In my class, I got along with everyone. My best friends were Erik and Frederick; the latter was ethnically one of those tribal bloods famous for their colorful clothing but he was just like anybody else mostly. I remember Erik and I went to a tavern one night where I drank a Coca Cola and got myself into a darts match with a local fellow of some repute. In front of a group of drunk Swedish men I beat him by one bull; He was quite good and we were all friendly about it.

I must mention Swing, though I don't remember how I met him. He was older, in a special music school; He was also gay and his civilization and respect won from me a later acceptance of other gays. We would have tea and listen to classical music in his immaculate apartment. He explained to me things that are true, for example the extent and quality of social services(largely funded by Sweden staying out of the world wars and every other war since 1814.) We visited various museums together, which were of great interest.

Now, I came to the attention of an older set of students led by Jakob Sanqvist, who had been a handball player, they say #2 in the world. Handball is a big deal in Sweden.

The school, like all Swedish schools was divided by professions and callings, and was in some ways more civilized than any given American university. My advisor Hans(a stout fellow who taught classes in herbs and wilderness) welcomed me very nicely and sent me a gift after I'd left. There was in the basement a coffeehouse: separate from the cafeteria, fairly sophisticated where hip-hop was playing(yes I know.) And we hung out and talked there.

Throughout all of this and most of my youth, I spent much of my time in libraries and in private reading.

Jakob, like other Swedes, guided me on hikes into their beautiful forests: I remember particularly a mountain covered with this just glowing moss. We played tennis and they all repressed any laughter at my then undeveloped ability. The energy in this city was very good for me.

Soon, the time came when I had to leave this city as well. Unable to find a home for me to stay, Jakob and the fellows threw me a great party. I'd never been TRULY drunk before and I must admit even then I was an unusual youth. I remember I indulged in some unusually idiotic bragging, which the fellows tolerated.

I think things got better after that; We had a crowd of fairly hip guys and girls and we had a fairly good time of it. At Jakob's asking, some fellow went across town to get me my preferred drink of whisky(Swedes drink vodka.) I would have stopped this if it were in my power. There was a very beautiful and rather drunk blonde girl who they'd prevailed with to try and sleep with me. I'd never been with a girl and I remember there was actually more than just a physical attraction: she kept saying I looked like John Daniels of Silverchair, an artist I also admire.

But I'd been brought up to be scared of HIV and I left the party without sleeping with her(I also had some more elevated reasons); But that night I cursed myself and even more when the next day Swing informed me that HIV barely existed in Sweden.

After this, I stayed with a nurse, whose husband did I don't remember what. The next city was not so good, but we had some decent times. We were very different but we tried to get along.

Like other Swedes, they observed a tradition known as "fika" where a couple times of day(at a precise time,) they'd stop and have pastries and tea. I always had dark bread and marmalade.

But it was no Harnosand and it wasn't so bad when I left for the USA; Well, "Tak so mekka" for listening to my story