Ride For The Sun Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,287 Followers

"Damn you Jeff," Bill complained. "You got blood all over me. Next time make sure I'm clear."

"Reckon that'll do for your share," Jeff said to the dead man. "Sorry Bill. Wash up and let's hit the trail. You still think we should swing south and head for Phoenix or Tucson?"

"Believe we should," Bill answered. "Got those wanted posters out on us up to Flagstaff and they'll probably put more out for this job in Camp Verde. Phoenix is about a three day ride but I believe we lost any posse so we can take it easy on the trail. If things get too hot in Phoenix, we can head on down to Tucson; from there it's less than a day's ride to the Mexican border."

The Dooley's mounted and turned south toward Phoenix. Neither of them noticed the rider on the big creamy gold colored horse coming down off the ridge line into the valley following their trail.

********************

Rafe found the Dooley's trail about half an hour outside of Cape Verde. The tracks were at least a day old and he held Bowie in a fast trot so he could follow the trail. Three hours following the faint trail, the sign freshened. That showed he was cutting into the Dooley's lead. He put his big horse into a ground eating lope that Bowie could keep up for hours.

He stopped at midday at a small spring to water and rest Bowie. While sitting in the shade of a big mesquite tree, Rafe got an idea. "Bowie, those fellers will cut south in the next day or so." Bowie snorted and went back to grazing on the grass growing near the spring.

"Think we will too," Rafe continued. "They're wanted up in Flagstaff so they won't go north. Going east, it's a hard five or six days to the nearest settlement, Heber-Overgaard; and there ain't much there. Show Low is another day or two. But they're not ridin hard; they've slowed way down from the look of the sign. I think they're gonna turn south to Phoenix."

Rafe stood, retightened Bowie's saddle cinch, and mounted. "Let's ride south by south east and we'll cut their trail by mornin." He put his horse back into the same ground eating lope.

It's a risk not following the Dooley's trail, he thought. I could be wrong; if I am it'll put me several days behind them. Rafe leaned forward and patted Bowie on the neck as he loped along. "But we can still run them to ground," he said to his horse. Bowie nodded his head up and down as he ran, as if agreeing with his human.

Rafe and Bowie stopped at dusk and made a cold camp. "There's gonna be a full moon tonight so we'll rest until it comes up and hit the trail again," Rafe talked to his horse as he unsaddled him and rubbed him down. "Have to go a little slower at night, but we can make time this way."

As the full moon rose, Rafe saddled Bowie and rode at a fast walk. On flat ground with little vegetation, he would kick Bowie into a fast trot or slow lope. When the moon set, they stopped, waiting for first light. Then Rafe rode along a ridge line and down into a very large valley. He hadn't seen the Dooley's yet but the trail was fresh; not over two or three hours old in Rafe's opinion.

"There's buzzards circling up ahead Bowie," Rafe said when he saw the vultures. "Something died and not too long past either."

Reining toward the scavengers, Rafe soon saw what had caught the bird's attention. A man's body was face down in a small sandy arroyo with the back of his head bloody. Rafe didn't want to see his face knowing it had been blown away. Bowie snorted and tossed his head at scent of death. But Rafe dismounted and turned the body over.

"From the description on the wanted poster, that'd be Tom Smith," Rafe said aloud. "Reckon the boys had a falling out." There was nothing Rafe could do so he remounted Bowie and quickly found the, now fresh, trail and rode after the Dooley's. "We were right Bowie, they turned south toward Phoenix. We'll catch up to them before dusk." Bowie put his ears back, stretched his neck out, and surged into his high lope.

********************

"You sure it's smart to be takin it so easy?" Jeff asked Bill. They had ridden into a small box canyon that provided a small water seep for the men and horses.

"Yep. Ain't seen no sign of a posse and even if there was one, we lost them when we turned south." Bill got off his horse and started to unpack his saddle bags to make camp. "Reckon we'll let Tom's horse go; he's about done in anyway." Bill shook his head. "I warned him to get a good animal but he didn't want to spend the money."

"Wouldn't have made a difference to him, seeing as how things worked out," Jeff replied with a grin.

Just after dusk, as the shadows swept over the canyon, Bill used his bandana to pick up the coffee pot from the edge of their fire. He poured some in his cup and held the pot up toward Jeff. "Y'all want some coffee?" Bill asked.

"I'd take a cup," a voice answered from out of the dark just past the light from the campfire.

Bill and Jeff both tried to stand and they pulled at their pistols; the coffee pot fell to the ground, spilling into the fire.

"No don't move now," the voice ordered. "We wouldn't want things to go sideways now would we? So one at a time, toss your pistols to this side of the fire and just stay still."

"Who are you?" Bill yelled.

"Don't matter much; I've got the drop on you. Best do as I say."

Bill exchanged a look with Jeff. "No sir won't do it. At least not until I know who's givin me orders."

"That's right," Jeff echoed.

Rafe, with his Remington in his hand, stepped into the circle of light from the fire.

"Who are you?" Bill repeated. "Don't see no star, so you ain't the law."

"Name's Rafe Cassidy."

"What's your stake in this Mister?" Jeff asked.

"I live outside of Camp Verde."

"You a one man posse?"

"Nope. The sheriff didn't put a posse together."

"Why'd you come after us then? If 'in some of the money from the bank belongs to you, we'll give yours back."

"I'll take the money, only I'm taking it all back." Rafe took a few steps closer to the Dooley's. "The woman you rode down leaving town is my wife. That's why I'm takin you back to the law."

"There's just the one of him Bill," Jeff said. "He can't get us both." Turning to Rafe he repeated, "You can't get us both."

Rafe gave the men an evil grin. "You're wrong; I can get both of you. But if you have to try, go ahead."

Jeff roared and reached for his sidearm; at the same time Bill pulled at his weapon. The sound of shots rang out in the small box canyon, echoing off the rock walls.

********************

Emmett and William were sitting on the front porch in front of Doc Stinson's place. Jeannie was sitting on Emmett's lap happily playing by pulling on his ears. Molly was inside sitting with Emma who was still sleeping; although she seemed to be in a less deep sleep. Emma would move, sometimes mutter a few words that no one could catch, and then slip away again. She hadn't opened her eyes but Doc Stinson said it was just a matter of time now.

"When's Pa comin home?" William asked his grandfather. "He's been gone a long time." In fact, Rafe had left after the Dooley's six days previously. To a youngster like William, six days was an eternity.

"He'll be home soon," Emmett answered in a hopeful voice. He knew Rafe could take care of himself but he was still concerned.

Doc Stinson came out to join Emmett and leaned against the porch rail. "Emma's getting closer to waking up every day now. Won't be long. You mark my words."

"I surely do hope you're right Doc," Emmett replied. "It's been hard on the kids with her sleeping and Rafe gone too. Real hard." He reached down and ruffled William's hair.

Looking down the road toward Camp Verde, Doc pushed off the rail and stood. "Rider coming," he said pointing with his chin.

Emmett turned to look also but it was William who realized the identity of the horseman. "It's Pa... Pa's back," he yelled excitedly. William jumped off the porch and started to run toward the rider.

"William, wait a minute," Emmett cautioned. "Let's be sure."

"It's him Grandpa. I can see Bowie and no one but Pa rides Bowie." The boy turned and continued his headlong rush toward his father.

Rafe spurred Bowie into a slow trot. When he got to William, he leaned over and picked his boy up; setting him on the saddle in front of him. Rafe was busy saying hello to William so Bowie continued his slow pace to the house on his own.

William stayed in the saddle as Rafe dismounted when Bowie stopped in front of the house. Rafe put his Stetson on the boys head and walked over to Emmett offering his hand. Emmett pushed the hand aside, hugged his son in law, and then handed Jeannie to her father.

"Good to have you back son," Emmett said trying to control his emotions. He'd been afraid that Rafe had taken on too much this time.

"Would have been here an hour ago but me and the posse had to drop my prisoners off at the jail," Rafe said. "Thought I might have to lock Rawlings up to get him to do anything."

"You brought them back? I thought you might not," Emmett admitted.

"It was a close thing Emmett." Rafe scratched the stubble on his chin. "After what they did to Emma it was mighty close. I could've just ambushed them from the dark, and I did think about it, but I stepped into their camp and told them I was takin them back."

Emmett glanced at William sitting on Bowie. "What happened to your hat?" The big Stetson had slipped down over William's ears. There was a half inch hole in the crown.

"That's a result of me givin them a chance to give it up. Jeff was a bit faster than Bill. He got a shot off before I stopped him." Rafe smiled, "I hit Jeff in the shoulder and was able to pull down on Bill before he could clear his gun. Jeff sure did complain all the way back. I finally told him I could finish the job if he wanted. That shut him up a bit." Rafe stretched, tired from the long ride. "Ran into the posse yesterday morning."

"I'll tell Molly you're back," Doc Stinson said and entered the house. It was less than a minute before Molly came out.

She smiled with tears in her eyes and stepped off the porch. Molly grabbed Rafe and hugged him. "I'm glad to see you back safe."

Rafe started to tell her about the Dooley's but she waved her hand. "You can tell us about it later. Emma's waiting for you."

He leaned down and kissed his mother in law on the cheek. "Thanks Molly." Rafe handed her little Jeannie, turned and almost ran up the steps and into the house.

Emma was still sleeping but her color was better than the last time he'd seen her. Rafe dropped into the chair next to the bed and took his wife's hand.

"I'm back Emma. The men that hurt you are in jail waiting for the circuit judge." Emma sighed, her hand tightening on Rafe's.

Molly came into the room twenty minutes later. "Rafe, I'll sit with her if you want to clean up and get some supper."

"No, y'all take the kids and go eat. I'll just sit here for a spell."

"We'll eat and Emmett can take the children back to the hotel," Molly said. "I'll come back and sit with Emma so you can get some rest." She patted Rafe on the shoulder and left.

Molly smiled when she returned to the Emma's room an hour later. Rafe still held her hand but he was leaning over with his head resting on Emma's legs; he was asleep.

Sometime during the night Emma woke. She looked around the room that was softly lit by an oil lamp. Then she felt the weight on her legs. Looking down she saw it was Rafe; fast asleep and holding her hand. Emma smiled, touched his face with her other hand and went back to sleep.

********************

Rafe stirred after sleeping for several hours; the hard ride to find and bring back the Dooley's had taken its toll on him. He felt a light touch on the side of his face and turned his head.

"Good morning sleepy head," Emma said smiling at Rafe.

"Emma...My Emma!" Rafe said. He felt tears come to his eyes and quickly leaned in to hug his wife. After almost a minute of holding her, he sat back.

"How long have you been awake?"

"An hour or so. You looked tired, so I let you sleep."

Doc Stinson found them talking about an hour later. "Well young lady, I see you've rejoined us. How do you feel?" Doc waved her answer away. "Rafe why don't you go tell the rest of the family while I examine Emma?"

********************

"You don't look much like a raccoon anymore," Rafe teased Emma as he sat down to the big breakfast that she and Molly had ready for their men.

The vivid black, blue and yellow bruises surrounding her eyes had faded in the six weeks since Emma was injured. Doc Stinson had removed the stitches from the cut over her eye and there wouldn't be much of a scar. Emma giggled and swatted at Rafe as she walked back to the stove.

"When will you two be back?" Molly asked Emmett.

"Should be around noon. We're just gonna check on the new hands." They had hired two more hands for the growing ranch. "This is Bob's first chance to actually be the ramrod."

"Bob will be fine," Rafe offered, and then he laughed. "He sure takes it serious enough."

As Emmett said, he and Rafe rode back to the ranch house at noon. "Got company," he said pointing to the three horses hitched to the post by the corral.

"Sittin on the porch," Rafe replied. "Looks like the Mayor, the storekeeper, and the saloon owner. Mayor Butler may have come out to see Millie but I wonder why the other two are here."

"Howdy John," Emmett said as he dismounted in front of the ranch house. "Why'd the Mayor of Camp Verde ride all the way out here?"

"Hello Emmett," Mayor Butler said. "I think you know James Grover and Charley Stanford," he said nodding at the other two men on the porch. "Hello Rafe."

"Howdy Mayor, Mr. Grover, Mr. Stanford," Rafe answered. He got down off of Bowie and joined the men. "I guess I'm as curious as Emmett. It's a long ride from town just to say hello."

"We represent the town council and want to talk to you Rafe," Butler said.

Rafe nodded and leaned against the porch rail. "Okay Mayor, have your say."

"Elections are two months away and we want you to run for Sheriff." Butler motioned to include Grove and Stanford. "Rawlings just isn't doing his job."

"Be tough to beat him in an election after all these years," Emmett said.

"Don't think it would be," Stanford replied. "Only reason he's been elected the last few years is nobody ran against him."

"Rawlings didn't have the backbone to go after the Dooley's when they robbed the bank," Grover joined in the discussion. "Some folks say he hid in the back room of the saloon until they rode out of town. And that wasn't the first time he showed a yellow streak. Rafe, I remember how you and Emmett almost had to threaten Rawlings to get him to hold Jim Morrison. In fact, if the cowhands get a little rowdy he makes sure he's in another part of town."

"He was all we needed when the town was just a little wide spot in the road," Mayor Butler added. "Now Camp Verde is growing; we need a lawman that'll protect the town and not be worried about jurisdiction and such. So can we count on you Rafe?"

"Why don't you just fire Rawlings?" Emmett asked.

"Can't. He's an elected official and we can't override the voters," Mayor Butler answered.

Rafe thought about the request. "I'll need some time to think about this."

"Of course you will," Butler said in a booming voice. "But at least you'll think about it right?"

"I'll think about it and talk to Emma and the family," Rafe answered. "That's all I'll promise for now."

"Could you let us know your decision by next week? We need to find someone to run against Rawlings if you don't."

Rafe nodded. "Today's Wednesday, we'll be coming in for supplies on Saturday. I'll let you know then."

"One more question Mayor," Emmett said as the three men walked toward their horses. "What kind of wages does the job pay?"

Rafe smiled, he hadn't even thought about wages. Emmett always kept an eye on the money side, Rafe thought.

"$100 a month and found," Butler answered. "Rafe you can live at the boarding house or I've got a small house across from the church that I'll provide."

Nodding, Rafe said, "I'll let you know on Saturday Mayor."

Watching the three men ride back to Camp Verde, Rafe turned to Emmett. "What do you think Emmett?"

"I think you and Emma got some talkin to do."

********************

Mayor Butler was right; folks were just waitin for someone besides Rawlings to vote for, Rafe thought. Rawlings didn't get more than twenty votes. The campaign had been over before it even got started. When Rafe announced he was running for Sheriff, Rawlings days were numbered.

"Don't plan on spendin all my time in that damn office," Rafe had told the town council. "Emma and the family deserve most of me. Y'all can have what's left over."

The only real opposition to Rafe was from Stanley Blake; the newest and biggest rancher in the area. It was he and his men that provided the twenty votes that Rawlings did get. Blake wanted to continue to control the law in Camp Verde, the way he had controlled Rawlings. He knew that Rafe was a man of a different cut.

The day after the election, Rafe took over as Sheriff and Rawlings left town. Blake watched as Rafe made his first rounds of the town. He was standing in front of the general mercantile and as Rafe walked past he spit a stream of tobacco juice into the street; narrowly missing Rafe's boots.

Rafe stopped and faced Blake. "Mr. Blake, I know you've had run of the town with Rawlings here but he's gone now. You and your men will be treated fair but that's all you're gonna get. And if you spit on my boots again, I'll leave my badge at the office and come see you real personal like."

Blake saw the cold eyes and heard the challenge from Rafe; he turned and went back into the mercantile. Reckon I won't be runnin that boy, he thought and sighed. I might have to do something about that.

Been two months since the election, Rafe thought as he left the Sheriff's office. Reckon I'll walk down Main Street before I head home. Rafe turned as he left the Sheriff's office. "Jacob, I'll see you in the morning. Make a couple of turns around the town and bed down. No need to wear yourself out."

"Yes Sheriff. You go on home to Mrs. Cassidy," the young deputy answered. This was only his third week on the job and Jacob Eason was eager to prove that Rafe had made a good decision to hire him. Hiring a deputy had been one of the things Rafe had insisted on before he agreed to run for Sheriff.

Emma greeted her husband when he entered their home. Before she could get more than a quick hug and a short kiss, William came running into the room. He grabbed Rafe's legs and started wrestling with his father. Rafe carefully pulled his pistol, laid it on top of a tall china cabinet and picked William up holding him over his head.

"You two behave now," Emma scolded. "William let your father get cleaned up for supper."

After supper and putting the two children to bed, Emma and Rafe sat on the front porch of the little house across from the church, enjoying the cool spring evening. Emma handed Rafe a last cup of coffee.

"Got some good news today," she said looking at Rafe.

He waited a few seconds and asked with a grin, "Do I have to drag it out of you or did you plan on telling me now that you got my interest up?"

Emma returned his grin. "Mr. Grover offered me a job as his clerk in his general mercantile. Said I could bring the children with me and Mrs. Grover would sit with them if things got busy in the store." Emma waited for a response from Rafe and when he didn't say anything she stood and walked over to his chair. "Well, what do you think?"

Rafe pulled Emma onto his lap. "I think you'll do what you want, just like always," he replied and kissed her. "But far as I'm concerned I think it'd be good for you and for the children."

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,287 Followers