Rise of Roxy Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes we'd love to have dinner with you and Sally," Sophie said. "And you Roxy?"

"Yes I'd love to. I read in a magazine recently that Sally has an apartment in Florence, Italy."

"Well it's actually her parent's apartment," Nick said. "Sally is an assistant professor specializing in the Italian Renaissance and loves everything Italian."

"And what about you Nick?" Sophie asked slyly.

"It's okay for a vacation providing one gets out into open country most of the time. I've been carted off to Tuscany since I was a babe. Well I'll be off and arrange a bigger table for tonight. I'll give you the time and other details Robert after the screening discussion. I like it that your guys work the hours to suit the job."

As he left, Sophie said, "Omigod Robert, dining out with Nick is so good for your career."

"I can't see how that should be. I've lunch out with him once or twice a month for the past year after he was appointed to the board. He's done that with several of us to learn about the day to day running of the company. Nick is very astute and wouldn't advance your career just because he eats with you."

"Roxy you'll tell Nick you are fluent in Italian won't you?"

"No unless there is reason for him to know that."

"You are fluent in Italian?" Robert said, looking impressed.

"Sophie means I can speak it a bit. Sophie I suggest you relax around Nick and treat him just as any other guy."

"Any other guy?"

"Yes because he'll be sick of people fawning over him."

"Yes that's right Sophie," Robert said. "Just be friendly with him and leave it at that. If you scare him off that could be bad for my career. Just believe if it's going to happen it will happen."

"What will happen," Roxy asked.

"Oh one of the wives mentioned to Sophie I'm in line to be the company's next CEO. The deputy is near retiring age and the younger incumbent Bette Hill is seeking a new challenge and intends stepping down within a year."

"Yes let it happen Sophie."

"God with you two teaming up against me, one of you must be right."

They all laughed and entered the bar.

The big screen presentation was about to start when Mrs Smith arrived and sat beside Roxy who was sitting with the Scotts.

After the short viewing ended, Mal Johns said, "Well what can I say? I've been involved in a number of full screen tests in my time. We can always point on flaws but the purpose of such a test is for us to consider the big picture. Roxy you have presented superbly and we want you to work here and not with our rivals and so I will be offering you a contract. Have you any idea what position you'd like with us?"

"Yes," Roxy said. "In coming into this environment with no TV experience and professional qualifications, I believe it's reasonable for everyone to expect me to prove myself. So I'll wait to be appointed relief weather presenter and you can wait to see if there's any feedback from the public about me. If it's significant then you guys decide where to place me. My preference for advancement would be as a presenter initially and then progressing into drama. I've had limited training in drama. My confidence stands up and I've been told my diction is good and so that's how I see my progression."

"You'll need other employment until you move into a fulltime position here."

"Yes Mr Johns. I suggest..."

"An appointment as an assistant to a senior in our programming department would get Roxy quickly into learning about the operation of a TV station."

"Ah hi Mr Chairman. I hadn't spotted you in that dark corner. I accept that as an excellent idea. I'll...."

"Hold on, I believe Roxy would benefit hugely by working alongside me."

"Ah Mrs Smith, already Roxy is sitting at your side I see. I think the chairman's suggestion is...'

"An inferior suggestion to what our legendary Mrs Smith is offering Mal," Nick interrupted. "I shouldn't be interfering in day-to-day management decisions and so I'll leave now. It's been very informative to me as the new chairman seeing you guys in action like this. Good evening everyone."

Nick left and Mal said, "My decision, if acceptable to you Roxy, is that you spend time with Mrs Smith and then spend say a month in Production and then a month in PR and Publicity and by then, in three months' time, it should become clear whether or not you career in TV is on a roll. What do you think about that Roxy? We will discuss this in more detail tomorrow."

"I think it's great to find there is this confidence in giving me a fair trial and I seize the opportunity with both arms. Let's do it Mal, oh I mean Mr Johns."

"Mal is fine Roxy. Please come to my office for lunch at 1:00 tomorrow. Is that convenient?"

"Yes."

"Good and while eating we will discuss terms and conditions for your contract. Personally I'm still astonished you wish to begin at such a low level but something tells me you wish to get your platform established before you launch and that's an excellent idea. Only I suggest you prepare for a quick launch because everything I've seen about you so far tells me you'll win quick flash endorsement from a number of our regular viewers and the initial feedback will soon explode into huge approval. Well this meeting is over."

Mrs Smith hugged Roxy and congratulated her but almost everyone else just drifted away.

Roxy walked down the tiered seating with Mrs Smith where Mal was waiting.

"Roxy I waited back to tell you this. You have just been given a cold shoulder by almost everyone who was here. But like Mrs Smith I can see you have it. Be patient and your light will switch on."

"Um now we are alone, would it harm my career if the chairman dates me?"

"Believe me Roxy," Mal grinned, "If dating the chairman sticks, you would be regarded as being untouchable. If he does wish to date you, then I suggest you hold him off until some of the public feedback rolls in to switch on your light."

"I agree Roxy," Mrs Smith said. "Crawl before you walk. You'll know what I mean."

"I do Mrs Smith and thanks guys. Your support and professionalism is most useful to me."

Roxy believed what those two people were saying because they wouldn't waste their time with a no-hoper. She found Sophie and Robert waiting for her outside the theatre and Nick walking away from them.

"Is it dinner with Nick or do we do our own thing?" Roxy asked.

Sophie smiled, "Yes Rhapsody's at 9:00. This will be my night of the year."

Roxy asked wouldn't be that the night that she danced with her husband outdoors in the moonlight?

"Way to go Roxy. My darling often losses focus of the simple things in life when her attention is consumed by something big."

"Oh thanks guys for bringing me back to earth," Sophie simpered and Roxy and Robert grinned at Sophie as if they understood Sophie was often imagining herself to be someone she wasn't. Roxy however thought it might be Sophie's way of relaxing from the stress she was under in such a big office in such a responsible role. It could be important for Sophie's well-being to wind down with a bit of fantasizing.

They took a cab to the restaurant expecting that being a top establishment the champagne corks would pop, making it an unsafe occasion for any drinking driver and that proved correct. The wine did flow.

Nick welcomed them warmly and immediately said he would pick up the tab for the evening.

"This is my friend Sally Brookes," Nick smiled, introducing her to Sophie, Roxy and Robert, without offering any explanation just how deep that friendship went but then who could blame him?

Sally appeared not overly friendly and the conversation was somewhat labored even after the party began sipping their first glass of Krug Brut.

Robert whispered nice drop but he really would have preferred a beer and his cheeks reddened when Roxy replied, "Peasant."

"Sally has recently returned from Italy," Nick said, attempting to kick things along.

But that was greeted in silence until Roxy said, "Sophie's mother comes from Italy."

"Oh," said Sally, showing some interest. "Where in Italy did she live?"

Sophie said, "In the far north, the municipality is Inverigo um near Como."

"Yes but specifically, where in relation to Como?"

Sophie looked appealingly at Roxy who lied smoothly and said Sophie had told her that her mother's town was about 20 miles north of Milano and just half that distance southeast of Como in the Lombardy region.

"Oh I have the general picture. I have passed through Como to go to the lake or up to the ski fields many times. Roxy you pronounced Milan as people here call it, as Milano, like the Italians do. Why is that?"

Roxy said evasively she'd heard Sophie's mother call it Milano.

Sophie then blew it, saying, "Roxy speaks to my mother in fluent Italian. Sophie went to Italy many times for a month mid-summer since she was aged four to stay at her English grandmother's home near Lucca."

"Omigod," Sally said and spoke reasonably fluently to Roxy in Italian who replied rapidly and very fluently.

"Omigod, you speak like a native," Sally said excitedly. "Did you hear darling?"

"Yes, most impressive," Nick said. "I'm surprised you didn't mention your long connection with Italy and fluency in the language when I mentioned I had visited the Tuscany region."

Roxy froze momentarily and Sophie came to the rescue.

"I find Roxy is not one to boast Nick and she's aware many people speak more than one language."

"Ah yes, I can understand that."

Sally asked, "Roxy what do you know about the Italian Renaissance."

"Not much, it was a little before my time."

"Oh god, spare me," Sally laughed.

"You will find Roxy is one who likes to tease," Sophie said, once again exhibiting her knack to come to the rescue.

"Roxy was your father a scholar of something like that?"

"No Sally," Roxy said firmly. ""My father was a railway worker."

"And your mother?"

"She was a café waitress."

"So you are not one of us the beneficiaries of wealth?" Nick said. "You arose from grassroots and that's why you are proud of your achievements, are unafraid about your future and you possess clear-cut goals."

"Something like that," Roxy said dismissively. "It's true I know who I am and who I wish to be."

"Roxy takes after her maternal grandmother who was a famous actress."

"Famous, how famous?" Sally demanded.

"Sophie meant well-known in her time rather than famous in terms of one of our greatest actresses. Her name was Kitty McCleary and she toured internationally with a theatrical troupe. My sister and I went every summer with her for thirteen years to her summer home near Lucca."

"Omigod," Sally said, looking at Nick. "Roxy would be perfect to be the presenter, I'd get sufficient credit for being program creator, project manager, scriptwriter and movie producer."

Nick shrugged and said, "It's your project. Do what is needed."

He looked at Robert and said, "Is it okay to talk about this now or to wait till we get Roxy alone?"

"No it's fine. Sophie and Roxy, what Sally and Nick are referring to is a project still under wraps awaiting board approval. Sally needs to complete a major project in her quest to become a tenured associate professor. She has come up with the idea of filming her version of the story, 'Tuscany, Birthplace of the Italian Renaissance'. It will be a 5-part TV series produced jointly by her university and Channel 8 and all rights to the 5-hour series will pass to Chesterfield University for marketing to other teaching and cultural institutions after Channel 8 screens it on a network link up. The budget is $2 million, with funding already secured, and Channel 8 will provide two camera crews and use Italian facilities and technicians."

"Yes that's correct," said Nick. "My family is donating half the cost."

"What do you think about the project Roxy?"

"It's a wonderful concept Sally."

"We film this summer and want you with us to be the presenter. We will be in Italy for about two months."

Roxy was silent.

"Roxy what is it that you don't understand?" Nick asked, looking concerned.

"I'm sorry but I have my priority set?"

"What to be a weather girl?"

"Yes and what's so wrong with that?"

"This project is bound to win huge acclaim. As presenter it would spread your name and interest in you internationally."

"It's not my responsibility to remind you many books, learned publications, movies and TV series have been made about the Italian Renaissance. But no doubt this project will present it differently. It is my decision to tell you I do not wish to become involved."

Sally practically spat, "Why because you have this dotty thing about being the TV prop for its weather presentation?"

"Roxy listen to Sally and Nick," Robert urged.

Sophie said, "I believe Roxy has given you a clear message. Her mind is set."

"Your salary would be significant," Nick said smoothly and then immediately when seeing the horrified faces of Roxy and the Scotts said he'd withdraw that comment.

"Roxy, it's now or never."

"I'm simply not available for your project Sally. May we leave it at that?"

"I'll get Nick to use his influence to have Channel 8 make you available."

"Hey hold on Sally, I'll not do that. I suggest you accept the fact you have learned you can't roll Roxy."

Roxy smiled and said, "Thank you Nick. Now if that ends the pressure may we talk about your project Sally in general terms? It's a great way for you to win academic recognition because I can see you are passionate about it. And it will serve your aim to raise public awareness here and elsewhere of the tremendous cultural heritage of Italy that was stimulated by the renaissance."

When the Scotts and Roxy went home to cab, Robert said Sally wasn't the only one to emerge from that dinner mentally bruised.

"Yes and I'm afraid Nick will have his respect for you dented somewhat darling but he appears to have some integrity."

"And does that suggest Sally has none?"

"Well while screwing Nick she's used the opportunity to raise finance from him and his family," Roxy said, and they laughed.

"She might also be working on Nick now to have him block me being hired by Channel 8."

"Hmmm," Robert said. "My thinking is even the people who presently don't want an academically unqualified person breaking into the system would be horrified if Nick became involved in you being dropped. I suggest he has the intelligence not to go down that path, even secretly. He ought to know that secrets within the media leak."

"Yes I would agree with that," Sophie hiccupped. "God, Sally looked a real scream when she realized you were turning down her offer because you want to be a weather girl."

"Roxy are you sure you made the right decision? Presenting that doco would have presented you with great experience and huge exposure?"

"Yes," chorused the women.

Roxy, sitting in the middle of the back seat of the cab, reached out and clutched Sophie's hand. They squeezed hands and laughed when Roxy said well at least she had one supporter.

"God you two are drunk," Robert muttered and then he laughed. "Yes it will be some time before I forget that look on Sally's face."

They all laughed and the cabbie said nervously, "Are you folk all okay?"

Sophie replied politely, "Yes thank you."

For some reason that made the three passengers laugh.

Next day Roxy had the working lunch with Mal Johns and they worked on Roxy's terms of employment and Mal called in one of the company's internal attorneys and the contract was signed.

"I am expecting big things from you Roxy so don't let me down," Mal said, kissing Roxy and that raised an eyebrow of the female attorney.

"This is my big break Mal, I'd rather screw you than screw up."

"Oh god," said Mae the attorney, leaving the office in a rush.

"She's a good legal beaver but without humor," Mal apologize. "You may start tomorrow if you wish. Report in at HR at 9:00 on the day you start."

"May I look around now?"

"Sure I'll escort you and introduce you to people. Everyone has had access to your screen test so don't be surprised if people appear to know you as the woman who likes multiple sex, particularly from Arabs."

"Oh god, what a way to get a reputation."

"You know, you really are okay Roxy. Do you have a guy at the moment?"

"No."

"Do you want me to fix you up with my son?"

"How old is he?"

'Nineteen."

"Um someone aged midway between your son and you would be lovely."

Mal grinned and said he'd see what he could do.

During the tour they called in on Mrs Smith and she said, "You won't fill my day with questions will you?"

"Of course not Mrs Smith. I'll just be your silent shadow."

"You lie beautifully."

"And I like you too Mrs Smith. Observing is a good way of learning but I would appreciate listening to tips."

"Good. When do you start?"

"In the morning."

"Good you'll watch some presentations by weather girls with me and I'll comment. Then take them home and study them, over and over again. Then return here on Thursday and I'll test you and Mal if she's okay you can run Roxy on Sunday with Alice who will introduce Roxy who will then take over at the following weekend or during midweek emergencies and Alice can begin training to become the understudy for Veronica on the Cooking Show."

"That soon, are you sure Mrs Smith?"

"Mal if you don't have confidence in me then have me fired."

"I have absolute confidence in you Mrs Smith. I probably lack confidence in myself."

"Thank you Mal. Now run along you two."

As they walked off Roxy said, "Mrs Smith really is awesome. I can understand why she is revered around here."

"Roxy in TV if you are the best in your field you can say anything you wish without fear. We regard the best as gods."

Roxy returned to Mrs Smith on Wednesday morning.

"You're a day early and should be at home rehearsing."

"There's nothing to rehearse and it became so tedious. I always try to never be bored."

Mrs Smith picked up the video of last Sunday's weather report delivered during the news at 6:00.

"Right Miss Smarty, I'll demonstrate what you don't know by standing in front of the monitor displaying the script. Let's see how far you can get before you lose confidence, lose you rhythm and screw up totally."

Roxy had no problem. She'd totally memorized the script and had the timing off pat.

Mrs Smith was impressed.

"I knew you had it young woman. That was performed perfectly, like a parrot, but perfectly. Most trainees memorizing the script would still get out with their timing. I'd call Mal now and tell him you are ready but he's at an urgent management meeting. There's a big flap out about one of their confidential projects that's turning to custard."

"Does that happen often?"

"It's almost unheard of because of our meticulous planning. But this one has something to be with a university..."

"The crap has hit the fan you say?"

"Did I say that?"

"Call Mal and tell him I'm here if he wants me."

Mrs Smith said asked why would Mal want her and anyway phone calls during board meetings were not allowed.

"Text messages are permitted but I don't..."

"Please hand me your phone."

Roxy found Mal's speed dial number, wrote the message that she was in Mrs Smith's office if wanted and sent the message.

* * *

The management team plus the board chairman and his deputy were at the table discussing the crisis. The liaison team, influenced by the university, had agreed that Sally was adequate to be the presenter but that would be taking on too much and would mean adding a director to the team anyway and it would be best to appoint an Italian/English speaking presenter who looked better on-screen that Sally.

Nick explained Sally had actually offered the role of presenter to a new person on the company's payroll but she had declined because she wanted to begin her TV career as a weathergirl.