Rob's Saga Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RogueAlan
RogueAlan
641 Followers

"You sure you don't want me to stay?" I blinked, trying unsuccessfully not to stare at the pert firm breast and the dark pink nipple capping it that was on display. I realized this was not going to end well; time for a feint. I licked my lips as if nervous, let my gaze linger, and raised a hand as if I was going to cup that tempting prize as I took a step closer. She smiled, pleased to be having her way, arching her back to bring her breast up for my touch.

I side-stepped and was past her at the door to the hallway. I caught the free end of my 5.1 Tactical butt pack and scooped the wallet along with is as I stepped into the hallway, glad I had nothing I was really worried Barb would damage. The plaintive whine she had allowed at being tricked was music to my ears. Of course, Bev was in the hallway, lingering expectantly, but my departure was enough of a surprise she did not have a chance to get her hooks into me. I paused at the door to the garage.

"Be sure and close the door to my room when you leave, girls. We'll talk about this with your mom, later." I let the door slam. I was a little aroused—like I said, no way were they 16, and Barb had a fine right breast, at least... They had been teasing me for a couple weeks, but I had not gotten the up close and personal exhibition. I was a little angry. I kicked myself for getting into such a mess as I backed out of the garage and pulled the Jawbone headset out of the side pouch of the butt pack.

I considered it a blessing that Dan was back on the other end.

"That was a close one," he offered by way of greeting when I called.

"Tell me about it," I paused, "Have you got adequate video?"

"We're already on it. Em is running the photos through DMV and the local PD and Sherriff databases. We figured those were the highest yield." I could not argue with that.

"Have you got an address on the other one?"

"Sending it to you now. The car is registered to one Kari Roberts... ring a bell?" I shook my head.

"Nope. Should it?" Dan paused before he answered.

"I have a theory, but first I want to be sure." I was not going to talk him into saying more.

"OK."

"So now what?"

"I can't very well go back home. I still have zero idea what the game is; I think it is time to change the rules."

"We'll keep someone on site. How are the toys working?"

"If this address pans out, great. The ticks already paid off by showing what was going on at home. Oh, and I found at least one of the units that was already in place... They are commercial grade. Nothing too fancy. I'm guessing they use the house wiring, right?

"That's what Emily guessed. Was it in the outlet or the screw head?"

"Screw head... at least in the bathroom. I may have plugged the hairdryer in and never noticed," I scolded myself for being lax, "It's obvious when I look, but who expects a bug in the bathroom, you know?"

"I'll tell you if we see your... activities on the net." I was glad he felt like joking. I did not.

***

The address Dan had given me was on the outskirts of town, and was not an area of town where I would recommend visiting. That was no surprise, though. I got some granola bars and bottles of soda as well as some other supplies at a nearby Walmart, then killed the time before dark by driving the run down neighborhood surrounding the address in quadrants. In from one direction, out at the next main street, looking around. There were drug runners and street walkers. The former obviously marked me, but when I did not slow or come back, I was no threat, and if I did not stop the others paid no mind. There were bars and pawn shops and fast food joints. I saw a handful of bikes, some raked choppers with barely legal mirrors. There was no group of cycles or overly watchful sentry, though.

As the sun set I made my first pass of the address, from the back. There was little to see; rows of cookie cutter post war housing showed their age. Some had a unique touch, but most seemed to have accepted that squalor and despair were the colors of the day. There was a chain link fence and a laundry line in the back yard, but nothing else. No dog house. No swing set.

Driving past the front of the house was a risk, but my truck does not stand out. And yes, that was a conscious choice. I did not slow, and did not look to the side as I passed. The front porch sagged dangerously and was packed with mismatched pieces of furniture. There was a light on above three steps leading to the side door. The lawn had not been mowed for a long time, but was so patchy and barren it did not matter. The gate in the fence at the back of the drive along the side of the house was open.

Kari's car was parked near the door. A familiar motorcycle was on its stand in front of it. I smiled, as some answers clicked into place. There was an empty lot beyond the next house on the same side of the street. I had passed on the far side of the street. When I was five blocks away, I hung a U turn and returned, coasting to a stop—lights out—at the curb between the house and the lot. The suspension protested a bit when I used the curb to get stopped, but it saved my brake lights going on. I had already killed the engine, crossing the last intersection. I waited, listening, looking around casually as the last of dusk surrendered to full dark.

The interior light did not go on when I got out. I paused in the trunk at the front of the bed, selecting a handful of tools I might need, then rummaged through the plastic sack from Walmart before moving into the empty lot.

Fortunately the house between Kari's home and the lot seemed empty. And was not yet a crack house. I went across the back, coming between the fence and the parked motorcycle. My investigation of the bike was interrupted by the rhythmic click of nails on concrete, barely audible over the rush of moving air. A Rottie careened around the back of the house, no chain, no bark, and no hesitation.

I like dogs. I hated that someone had taken this dog's larynx out, but I also hate being bitten. The canister of pepper spray would have worked wonders on a human opponent, but put the dog down just as well. And without vocal cords, there was no tell-tale whimper, either. I dropped a steak beside the thrashing, distracted beast, and satisfied myself by the porch light that it was JD's bike I was seeing.

Slipping the Emerson Mini-Commander I always carry out of my pocket, I let the notch on the blade hang on the lip of my jeans, snapping the blade open. I slid the blade along, cutting wiring and hose with disturbing ease. My eyes stayed on the house, on the lit window behind the porch. There was movement inside.

Closing the blade, I made sure I was comfortable with the position before I moved closer to pitted siding. The window was at shoulder height. I paused, looking in from the edge, not because of a threat, but because I suddenly had more questions again. Two small, frightened looking children clung to Kari, who was losing an internal battle not to show them she was terrified. She hugged each child fiercely, cupped their faces, and assured them loudly enough for me to hear through the single pane window that she was almost finished and they could all go home soon. A male voice I had heard before made her sit up, and after warning the children—a young girl and a younger boy—not to make any problems, she closed the door, shoulders slumped in anticipation of whatever came next.

I ducked under the window, climbing from the side onto the porch. Another every day carry item came in handy then; I fished the three inch Novatac flashlight out of my off hand pocket. The wood frame screen door was closed, but the inside door had been left open. The moment the tiny light hit the hinge side wall of the inside hallway, I turned it off. Glad I had put on the tactical gloves when I left the car, I reached up and unscrewed the porch light. Tucking myself into the knob side of the porch, I listened.

"... Can't believe you haven't gotten him to do this, yet?"

"I can't make him do anything!" Kari answered angrily, "I told you. He isn't like Audrey claimed. But you should know that..." There was the smack of flesh on flesh and Kari gasped.

"If you think I can't hurt you 'cause he can't see a mark, don't forget what you just said," JD growled, "If he won't pork your useless cunt, the girls'll get him."

"Then why are you doing this? Why can't I take my kids and leave? You don't need me anymore."

"Oh no... Until he helps us you ain't going nowhere, so the brats stay here. And you'd better hurry up," he went on with undisguised glee, "I don't think old Audrey is the motherly type." Kari's response was a sob. "Quit blubberin' and tell me what's going on. I thought we had him today when the slut caught him in his room." JD laughed, "Boy sure looked like a queer slippin' around that wisp of a girl."

"I don't know what happened," Kari retorted angrily, "I've been here, remember?" There was another slap. Relaxing my fists, I slipped off of the step and back to the window. I rapped on the glass softly with the flashlight, and two young faces snapped to the window. I paused, hoping they had rehearsed 'rescue' fantasies in their imaginations, before. Snapping open the trusty Mini-Commander, I used the back of the blade to easily open the window's sash lock. Pocketing the blade, I held up my work ID as if I was a police officer, then motioned for the kids to be quiet. Both nodded somberly.

Wincing, I pushed on the window. It gave with a creak, but the door was closed and the murmur of conversation continued through the porch screen door. I motioned the kids closer.

"Kari's your mother?" I whispered. The daughter... I could see Kari in her features, nodded. "I'm Rob," I told her, "I'm a friend of your mom's. We're going to get you out of here."

"What about her?" the youngster obviously wanted to escape, but hesitated.

"I tell you what," I said, "Let me get you two down and safe, and then I'll make sure she comes along, too. OK?" Big eyes fixed on me, the dark haired girl nodded. She caught her brother's hand, putting a finger to his lips before pulling him close to the window. "Climb over and I'll get you down," I explained. To my relief big sister made sure her brother got down before scrambling over the sash and practically leaping into my arms.

I hugged them tight, turning to pass between Kari's car and the bike. The dog was lying down, muzzle streaked with foam, head on paws submissively. I carried them to the front edge of the house, then set them down, pointing at the truck. I fished the phone out of my pocket and dialed.

"Rob?" the voice took me a moment to place.

"Hatch?" one of the younger guys on the team, he was not former military but was as dedicated as the rest of the crew.

"Yeah," he was a little breathless, adrenaline pressuring his speech, "What's going on?"

"You've got it all on tape?"

"Yeah man? Are those kids hostages?" I smiled at the youngsters in the darkness, hugging them again.

"Not any more. I'm giving Kari's daughter the cell phone. They're going to my truck while I get their mom."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Hatch started in, "I can call..."

"Not yet," I warned. "When I call you back, call the cavalry in. Or if her daughter calls. Got it?"

"Got it," he answered reluctantly.

"And Hatch?"

"What?"

"I need a motorcycle pulling in in one minute. Then kill the feeds for the next three minutes."

"What?"

"You heard me. Use the speaker in the grill of the truck. Then from the time I said your name until three minutes from now, nothing was recorded. Are we clear?"

"Uh, yeah... Yes, we are."

"Good, do it." I hung up and pressed the phone into the girl's hands. "What's your name, sweetie?"

"I'm not a sweetie," she answered defiantly, "My name's Kelly."

"Well, Kelly, I have to go get your mommy. But I want to be sure you two are safe. So Take this phone and climb into my truck there. The door is unlocked, but the light won't go on when you get in, okay?" she nodded. "If anyone but your mommy or I come to the truck, stay down, hide, and push the green button, okay?" Another nod. Time was passing, but you do it right if you are going to do it. "OK, tell me what you're going to do?"

"Cole and I are going to your truck there," she pointed, "We get in and hide. If anyone but you or mom come out, I push the green button." I nodded.

"Great, Kelly. Now go." Without a word she grabbed her brother's hand and two small shadows hurried across the dark yard toward the truck. I passed the dog again, feeling horrible for making it hurt, and using that to get myself ready for what was next. I figured I had two minutes. The Emerson came in handy again, two quick cuts in the screen. I reached through, then stepped back to the edge of the porch. I pocketed the knife, then palmed the flashlight and waited, trying to ignore what I was hearing inside.

"... better get to work with that mouth before Audrey gets home... Show me how much you want to take your kids home, cunt!"

"No! I won't."

"Guess I'll have to introduce little Kelly to..."

"No!" almost a full scream. At least he did not slap her again.

"Your choice, bitch. We decided you're right... the girls're gonna plant a big bag of weed in his place, then get him hooked up. Then he's ours. So you're useless... except for this..."

The realistic sound of a chopper pulling up filled the air. I counted a quick 5 after the sound died, then rapped loudly at the screen.

"C'mon man!" I pitched my voice low, "C'mere."

"What is it?" JD lumbered down the hall toward the door. I stayed in position, silhouette visible at the edge of the porch, perfectly still.

"Glad you've got the light off, man," I went on in the low voice, "Word is your mark heard where you're at. Thought you'd want to know."

"There's no way," JD was a step from the screen. He slowed, weighing what I had told him, "But until the girls do their job, I'm not taking any chances..." He reached for the light switch, "C'mon in a minute..." The light did not go on. "What the?" I had taken a step forward at his invitation. "Wait a minute," he grumbled, "Something isn't right..." His hand darted to the shadow at the hinge side of the door. "Hold it right there." I ignored him, stepping almost flush with the screen as I turned my wrist.

The sawed off snout of the Remington 870 pump gun I had poached from the nail inside the door poked through the slit I had cut in the screen, pressing hard against his flabby chest, exactly beneath the breast bone.

"You simple asshole," I said, "I warned you, right?"

The shotgun did not make as much noise as you would think. Pressed flush against his skin, the force exiting the barrel was thrust into his chest, absorbing most of the sound. It was a relief that the first round was bird shot. At point blank range it was still lethal, but meant less mess in the hall behind the falling corpse. I put the Novatac in my teeth and lit the breech as I worked the slide. The next round had a characteristic green hull: buckshot. Apparently JD did not want to waste good ammo with a warning shot.

Light still in my teeth, I looked down, seeing JD's pants were open, his dead cock flopped to one side.

"Can't believe Audrey left me for that," I grumbled around the cold metal of the tactical light as I moved down the hall. Kari was huddled on the linoleum, the front of her uniform from work torn, tears streaking her face. Her eyes went wide when she saw me, and then she started to shake her head.

"Oh, God, no... I didn't mean to... I have kids..." I kept the shotgun ready but held out my right hand.

"C'mon, let's go," I tried to sound reassuring, "It's OK. Kelly and Cole are waiting in my truck." Hearing their names seemed to spur her on. She rose, heedless of how much skin was revealed by the thoroughly ruined clothes. I did not see any other tattoos, but noticed a bar piercing her navel. Her stomach was impressively flat for a mother of two. I caught her elbow as she passed, leading with the shotgun as we exited the house.

"There's no one else here," she said, but whispered. I nodded.

"I didn't think so, but let's not be surprised, OK?" She did not argue. On the porch, I asked about the dog.

"His name is Sprocket. JD treats him horribly." I nodded.

"Sprocket!" the big dog poked his head around the bike's rear tire. "Here, boy." Eyes still weeping, the dog padded along as we followed Kari's kids route across the neighbor's lawn to the truck.

"Sorry, but the car has to stay." She nodded, eyes still fearful as I opened the passenger door to the truck. She hesitated.

"But you said my kids..."

"Mommy!" Cole and Kelly cried out as one, leaping into her arms. I pushed the trio into the truck, put the safe on the shotgun, and hurled it back over Kari's car and through the panel of the screen door I had cut earlier. Moving around the back of the truck, I dropped the tailgate, patting it once to get Sprocket into place, before closing the gate and hurrying behind the wheel. I started the diesel and pulled away, flipping my lights on only after we were almost to the next corner.

"Kelly?"

"Yes sir?"

"Do you still have my phone?" A small hand appeared. "Thanks." I took it, hitting the green button.

"Hatch here."

"Are we up?"

"In three... two... one... Holy shit!"

"Yeah. Call it in. Leave us out of it."

"Got it. Oh, and Dan said to tell you to check your inbox... We've ID'd your roommates." I thumbed the connection closed without bothering to correct him, eyed the screen, then selected another pre-set.

"Lou?"

"What's up, cousin?"

"Long story, no time... Remember my guests?"

"Oh yeah... Problems?"

"Yes and no," I paused, "Mom is fine, but the girls are plants. I'm forwarding some information about them, and my understanding is they're trying to plant some significant cannabis in my place as we speak. I have dinner plans. Think you can have them taken care of by 10?"

"Count on it man," he chuckled, "This is another one we'll owe you... These two are wanted in the murder of a DEA agent in Arizona. I swear, you live the most exciting life for a computer geek..."

"Don't remind me. And thanks again." I signed off, looking at Kari.

"Do your kids like Italian?" she grimaced.

"Only if it's Spaghetti-O's or pizza." I laughed, stripping off the gloves and tucking them into my open gun bag. The peel away black front protected from gunpowder and spatter, and had already gone into a trash bag. Kari watched, shaking her head. I shrugged apologetically.

"I wasn't always a geek computer programmer." She nodded, then looked away.

"I'm sorry." I put a hand on her knee.

"It's okay... I understand. I would've done the same thing." She shook her head.

"No, it's not OK... My sister was always a bitch." I blinked, puzzled.

"I'm not following." She laughed.

"No, I guess not." But she did not go on. She fingered the tatters of her dress, seemingly suddenly self-conscious. I pulled into another ubiquitous Walmart, and leaving the phone with Kelly again, ran in to grab sweat bottoms and a T-shirt with Tinkerbell... appropriately feminine and child friendly. I grabbed a fleece jacket, as well, then similar kit for the kids. I was back to the car within 5 minutes, handing bags to the others like Christmas gifts.

"Sorry, I had to guess on sizes." If Kari was embarrassed about changing in the truck beside me, she hid it well. I tried not to notice the thong panties or the nice way she filled her bra. Even so, she caught me watching once.

"Eyes on the road, Superman." I shook my head.

"Just wondering how you kept so flat a stomach after two kids." She shrugged. I was more interested in her story, but she was not talking that night. I found an Olive Garden and the kids reluctantly agreed to cheese and pepperoni pizza. We ate like a family, attracting no undue attention, beyond the occasional lingering glance at Kari by one man or another.

RogueAlan
RogueAlan
641 Followers